• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Starki113r

Basilèus tón Basileuónton
76 Badges
Jan 7, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
I have played nearly a dozen Steam games (Tomb Raider, the Total War series, Kingdoms of Amalur, just to name a few) that reward you Achievements even if you don't play online.

Yet if we play offline in Ironman mode, not only does the nullify the fricking point of playing in Ironman (getting the achievements) but we can never again get achievements with that save?

Dafuq?

Now I can understand not getting the achievements for the duration you're offline. You're not connected to the servers and thus it can't see your progress.

But losing all access to achievements on that save forever because your internet goes down? What if you play in a hotspot and it drops for literally a second? What if you go over your monthly bandwidth? A thousand different things could cause your internet to drop and make you waste potentially HUNDREDS OF HOURS of effort.

Now the only way to be certain of not losing everything is to completely ruin the purpose of Ironman's singular, constant autosave, and exit the game, copy the file, and save each one separately as a savescum backup whenever things are going your way.

Which, before you ask, is exactly what I'm doing now with my new "from Count of Naples to Emperor of Rome" Ironman playthrough. I already lost 124 hours of effort taking Byzantium from the Balkans to ruling all of Mali, Arabia, Persia, Tartaria, Italia, Hispania, Francia, Britannia, the Wendish and de jure Byzantine empires, and the vast majority of the HRE. That was 4.2 centuries of work towards SPQR flushed down the toilet. Not happening again.

Now, for the big question: what about losing internet connection causing the save to be altered in such a way that it never gets you achievements again? Is there no way to fix that? To not totally screw over anyone with a less than reliable internet connection? You know... *cough* Comcast *cough*

Reactions:
I've become the Saoshyant twice now since achievements were added, once as Karen and once as Tabaristan (that one was anything but easy), and I still don't have the achievement because I live in the country and my internet is wireless. It drops several times a day, so unless I get very lucky, I don't get achievements. It's annoying, but it's not like Steam achievements mean anything substantial anyways,

Damn it all, this just happened to me! I was so close to restoring the Roman borders but I must have lost internet connection recently because it says my file has been altered in some way.

Goddamn I don't even feel like putting in all the effort again just to see it wasted.

Playing a bit offline does not disable achievements. I did more than once, and i already got 38 achievements.

Reactions:
Playing a bit offline does not disable achievements. I did more than once, and i already got 38 achievements.

Do you know why an ironman save would suddenly say its been altered? I played a few nights ago and got an achievement, loaded it up this morning and the ironman tooltip said achievements disabled due to the file being altered. Sure enough, two achievements failed to fire.

Not sure how it works, but i had internet failing as well during more than one game. All i did was pause the game, wait until internet came back, and started playing again.

If ironman option was disabled, you either changed something in the save file itself or in CK2's folder. You cant do either, otherwise the saves become invalid.

EDITED: On a side note, kingdoms of amalur doesnt have steam achievements. :p

Yeah, I got screwed in a game because my wireless is pretty awful and it dropped out sometime between me loading the game and loading the actual save. :/

I think that if you disable the steam overlay (which I had to do because I play on a Mac), the Ironman save becomes local and achievements are normally acquired.
The default behavior for Ironman in CK2 is local. To have it cloud save you have to specifically select cloud storage when initially creating the savefile.

I think they are taking this whole achievements thing a bit too seriously; if a person is willing enough to edit a bloody save to feel 'achieved' i don't know how he would necessarily, i'd let him do it.

Do you know why an ironman save would suddenly say its been altered? I played a few nights ago and got an achievement, loaded it up this morning and the ironman tooltip said achievements disabled due to the file being altered. Sure enough, two achievements failed to fire.

Which tooltip does it say the game has been altered?

I have some Ironman games. All the leftside screen (which lists all the save files) it has the ironman fist icon. In the area where you can check/uncheck ironman (when creating the game; no changing an existing game), it says that "Ironman Mode Enabled - You cannot manually save the game. You can only get achievements in Ironman Mode." Yet I have some games where achievements are not firing.

I would like to figure out which games no longer trigger achievements. Where I can find this information?

Which tooltip does it say the game has been altered?

I have some Ironman games. All the leftside screen (which lists all the save files) it has the ironman fist icon. In the area where you can check/uncheck ironman (when creating the game; no changing an existing game), it says that "Ironman Mode Enabled - You cannot manually save the game. You can only get achievements in Ironman Mode." Yet I have some games where achievements are not firing.

I would like to figure out which games no longer trigger achievements. Where I can find this information?

Mine has the Ironman fist on the save file, but when you select the file and hover over the ironman enabled icon, it says that achievements have been disabled due to the file being corrupted or altered in some way.

I think that if you disable the steam overlay (which I had to do because I play on a Mac), the Ironman save becomes local and achievements are normally acquired.

Maybe thats what happened. I had to turn off the overlay because I'm on a mac.

I think they are taking this whole achievements thing a bit too seriously; if a person is willing enough to edit a bloody save to feel 'achieved' i don't know how he would necessarily, i'd let him do it.
I have to agree, really. Ironman mode just seems like a huge pain in the ass, there's been a lot of talk about it being problematic, and it doesn't really add anything to the game. It was pretty easy to play ironman even before Ironman Mode was added; just don't save scum.

Let me ask about this backstage. The situation is that if you lose contact with Steam while playing an Ironman game it's OK, but if you resume or start an Ironman game while already offline, it's permanently converted to non-Ironman? Is that right?

Let me ask about this backstage. The situation is that if you lose contact with Steam while playing an Ironman game it's OK, but if you resume or start an Ironman game while already offline, it's permanently converted to non-Ironman? Is that right?
Not exactly. If you ever start/load an Ironman while being offline it remains an Ironman save (= auto save every month, only one auto save slot, no access to the console etc.) but steam achievements get permanently disabled for the save (probably because the save is no longer synched with the cloud). Nothing indicates that the Achievements are suddenly disabled and you happily continue playing your save till the point you fullfill the conditions for the next achievement... and suddenly you realize that the achievement does not unlock if for example you unite Wales/Scotland/England/Ireland despite being online at that moment of achieving the achievement conditions. It's a huge pain in the ar*e for us affected players, because most of us played our saves for multiple ingame centuries before the achievements got disabled and we were playing for time intensive achievements like persistent survivor. Paradox needs to change this or at the very least properly inform the players about the whole situation in the tooltips.

You are right about losing contact with your internet while playing an ironman save (assuming you started the game and loaded the save while still being in online mode) does not disable achievements (assuming you unlock them when you're back online and you didn't return to the main menu and reload the save while still being offline) if you don't do it for too long, though.

Last edited:
There was already a bug logged for Decadent Warrior, but not the whole playing-offline-disables-achievements thing, so I've just logged a new one for that. Thanks all.

Damn it all, this just happened to me! I was so close to restoring the Roman borders but I must have lost internet connection recently because it says my file has been altered in some way.

Ah, so that's why I have a different checksum! Dog tripped over the cable wires yesterday and I had about a 5-minute Internet dropoff. Fast-forward to today and noticed the checksum was different. Now I know why. :(