• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part 6.0 - Taroudant

@DennisRoos: It was a hopeless turn from the beginning. If the Hussayn's had attacked after I had gotten there I may have been able to mount a decent fight, and possibly even drawn a White Peace. Which, would have helped us survive against the Seljuks. But, no such luck the AI managed to destroy us before we even got a start going.

You are right it will be my first time as a vassal. I forgot that, kind of surprised I haven't been one yet. So that will add a layer of intrigue to this. Other than that the Europeans have made a monumental comeback. A lot of that is all due to the collapse of the Ummayads, which gave them ample time to mount offensives on all fronts. So the Reconquista is definitely over, now the question will be how far into North Africa can Catholicism spread!

@mike the knight: Haha Berber Catholics shall dominate the world!!!

@GreatUberGeek: Yep, all these Berbers of the Rahhalid (Andalusia) Sultanate are Catholic. I think the Rahhalids got Holy Warred while the Qutids were fighting them in a decadence revolt and the Rahhalids just threw their arms up and said, "Screw it, we want the Pope!" Because the Rahhalids overthrew the Ummayads, and the Qutids overthrew the Rahhalids, so I'm imagining that's how all this strange bedouin Catholic stuff happened.

@TheDeaconBosco: Hope it proves to be exciting. I did bite off a very big challenge for myself from the beginning so we will see how that turns out...

@Stuyvesant: True I would love if Vahid's descendants invade someone and I get to return and play as them. That would be lots of fun. And yeah both our liege's are fairly old, even the Emir we're under is an old guy.

@Scott1964: Eh, I enjoy playing in the sand though! Iraq was better and sandier than that Mazdaki stronghold we just left. It was just a crap hand we were dealt, but nonetheless it was entertaining!

@ScribleScrable: It does doesn't it!

@Wilkey: Sheikh Samir will be intriguing at least I hope it will. He was rather fun to play so hopefully everyone enjoys his time here.

~~~~~
Part 6.0 - Taroudant​

Off to Bedouin Catholic lands of the Rahhalid Sultanate of Andalusia. I was wondering if I'd ever get to go play with the Iberian characters. And well here we are, on our sixth turn. Vahid was sadly a short lived guy, but hey his "The Liberator" so perhaps he'll Liberate something else.

So to start off let us look at a map of where we are specifically.

2014-02-06_00004_zpsf83e3525.jpg

Samir's lands are nice and close together. With the exception of the Canaries, which will lead to some early troop movement issues. However, he is a vassal to the Emir of Fez, an old guy with no dynastic heirs, more on that issue at the end of this here update. But back to being a vassal Sheikh to the Emir of Fez. Samir's lands are de jure part of the Emirate of Marrekech, which is a title held by the Qutid Sultan of Mauretania.

This is something I will have to rectify, although declaring war against a Sultan when your a itty bitty Sheikh isn't usually a very sound foreign policy. However, this is precisely what I intend on doing once I get some more gold saved up and get a feel for what direction my overlords are heading.

Moving on our Sultan the old shy, scarred, always unprepared guy is busy fighting two wars. The one against Grenada wraps up shortly after we arrive in Taroudant. And the one against the Queen of Navarra is swinging in our favor. The victory of Grenada brings most of their lands into Andalusia.

The Unready dies in August of 1071, passing the crown to his slightly more prepared but still a shy book-worm son Sultan Yahya. Now Yahya, makes me shake my head because it reminds me of this dude I was in the Army with. He was a dork, but greek (no offense to Greeks) but his name was impossible to say, so we called him Yaya which is remarkably similar to our new liege.

2014-01-28_00050_zps5770201f.jpg

We continue to sit back and watch Samir's coffers increase with each day that ticks by. We apparently are ruling over some bountiful lands. However we are slightly over our demesne limit and the band O'Brothers event happens. I promise to punish them and gain the diligent trait.

After dealing with the Band O'Brothers, which reminds me of the EVE Corp of the same name that used to be a giant until some evil trolls came in and slaughtered everything they had built in-game. But as I was saying after that Samir decides to go on a pilgrimage to Santiago.

This pilgrimage proves to be troubling to Samir. Apparently he realizes that Santiago is a sham, fake idols, fake women, fake seashells even! The sin! He becomes cynical and decides to lie to his fellow Shaiban (Shaitan) family members.

2014-01-28_00064_zpsb1249350.jpg

Upon returning from the Pilgrimage to unholy Santiago, Samir's sister comes of age and gets married off to the Duke of Asturias. This may or may not be a good thing. A matrilineal marriage would have been the safer route as she is the current heir of Samir's so hopefully he doesn't die suddenly in a battle or something.

In September of 1073 Samir's wife gets pregnant, which means marrying off the sister may not prove as bad a thing as I thought. And the 4th Sunni Revolt is launched against the Rahhalid Sultanate. We desperately need to convert these provinces to prevent those from firing anymore.

In the Spring of 1074, after defeating the Sunni Revolters the Sultan of Andalusia decides to join Queen Elida of Navarra to help her defend Seville against the Qutid Holy War.

At this point Samir has 291 gold saved up, not too mention the ability to raise almost 2000 men, normally not a large amount for a war but with Qutid forces fighting our main liege, as well Navarra and Castille, I decide 2K is plenty. Its time to declare war against this Qutid Sultanate.

2014-01-28_00076_zps8d2b204d.jpg

In response the Qutids call in Farbas Bada III of Mali to help defend. No matter, they're dealing with a Pagan West African revolt and getting their butt handed to them. I begin gathering my levies and march to war.

Now, being a Sheikh and declaring a Holy War against someone that many tiers higher is never a great decision as I said earlier. Getting slapped for it is a high possibility. However, patience is a virtue and when that higher tier guy is at war, its always a decent time to strike.

As we start laying siege to Anti-Atlas, Samir has his first child a daughter.

2014-01-28_00078_zpse3b101c7.jpg

Shararah! I love that name, for some reason it makes me start whistling,

Row, row, row your boat
Gently down the stream
Merrily merrily merrily
Life is but a dream

I guess its the rarah part of her name that invokes that response even though it doesn't sound like row row. But regardless, baby Rara is now our heir.

My evil Steward then decides he can steal money from Samir's coffers, which Samir makes him pay back instead of throwing him in the dungeon.

2014-01-28_00080_zpsb103e660.jpg

As Samir sits around laying siege to the land that is hugely against the making of Atlases as teaching the children geography is a mortal sin punishable by death, he runs into a priest that tries to convince him that Celibacy is the only way to gain entry to heaven.

Samir, needing a son, and desperately not wanting to pass his Sheikdom onto his daughter Rarah, says no thank you and decides that being a Hedonist is way more fun!

2014-01-28_00082_zps5e8ca5d1.jpg

No one in a warzone away from women wants to hear that celibacy crap anyway. After 15 months in the desert I know I was dying to be a nasty hedonist, and if a priest told me to be celibate he'd probably have been slapped. And I imagine Samir feels quite the same.

Samir is busily thinking of what kinds of trouble he get into when the war is over and he can go and practice these new hedonistic things he has in his head, when another hedonist in his court gets accused of rape.

2014-01-28_00084_zps181c7520.jpg

We can't be having rapers in our Court! So we imprison our perverted Marshal. Which also gives Samir the Just trait.

In November of 1075 our Holy War as of yet is still in a stalemate. No one has gained a victory and we have yet to successfully occupy anything! Due to this Samir becomes bored with being a warrior Sheikh and loses the diligent trait just a few short years after earning it.

2014-01-28_00088_zps7f1430cf.jpg

1076 rolls around and defending Seville against the evil Qutids was a success, but our war is still going nowhere. Which is when the aging Emir of Fez, decides to declare his own Holy War for Marrakech.

2014-01-28_00089_zps4b1551f7.jpg

The Emir immediately begins raising his soldiers and starts sending them off to bother my guys that are already trying to siege Marrakech. However, his men are intercepted and defeated, leaving me all to my lonesome. But the Pope is grateful and sends us 200 gold which pushes us up to 561. Which means mercenary spamming coming to a Berber neighborhood near you...well soon anyway!

By September of 1076, we finally occupy Marrakech, giving us a warscore of positive 8, which is pretty small since we've been at war for two years already.

Yahya then decides to defend Asturias from Castille. These alliances shift so much in Iberia guessing which side Yahya will fall in is damn near impossible.

2014-01-28_00091_zps81f8e4fc.jpg

So three wars our now raging...and the only one I care about is slapping around the Qutids. I'm beginning to think I'm going to get sucker-punched eventually.

However, I see my chance to deliver a huge blow to the Sultan. He has 4,000+ men laying siege to some of my Emir's territory, and with all the gold I have I decide to play hardball.

I hire the most expensive mercenary band money can buy, march them to Marrakech to rendezvous with my main body. Once they join together I send the now 7,000 men off to wage real war.

The Qutids get a slight defensive bonus which will make this battle a tiny bit more even, but we still have superiority. And thus the battle of Ketama begins.

2014-01-28_00093_zpsfc050f5e.jpg

It starts off slowly with morale on both sides waning ever so slowly, but Samir learns how to fight in the Mountains because of it.

2014-01-28_00094_zpsfc337ed0.jpg

By December the Battle of Ketama is won, and the tide of the war swings heavily in favor of Samir.

2014-01-28_00095_zps8bf3327b.jpg

With Qutid forces on the run, we send our men back to the Sultan's lands to begin laying siege once more. Which is when our gracious Rahhalid Sultan decides he wants the realm to be involved with FOUR wars! Because he's Yahya and whenever one of his subjects say his name he immediately thinks they're agreeing with him, thus he always ends up going to war.

This Fourth war, is the Aquatanian War for Limousin against the little boy King Heahbert II of England. Yahya is siding with Aquitaine in this fight, as are our good friends the de Wexfords of Ireland-Alba.

What is sad about all of this is that Samir is the only one winning a war. Yahya is losing both of his, and the Emir of Fez is losing his as well. Its a sad day when a Sheikh can slap Sultans around better than his own Sultan can.

2014-01-28_00097_zps01719378.jpg

Seeing that he is obviously the best war strategist in all of Andalusia, Samir loses the stressed trait.

Even foreign writers began pouring into Taroudant to write epic tales of the great African warrior named Samir the great Christian Sheikh.

Another year would pass and only one more holding is occupied. Its now 1078, and this war has raged on, well raged probably is an incorrect description as its been more of a ho-hum war. But its been pretty ho-hum for 4 years now.

In August of that year Samir's wife would become pregnant. But that isn't the big thing that happens. Oh no, something unexpected occurs that made me scratch my head.

The Emir of Fez has died! Yes, that in itself wasn't wholly unexpected. He was old and dying anyway. It was only a matter of time before said event occurred. What was unexpected is that Samir was his heir!

I had no idea that was the case. Apparently Samir was his Nephew.

2014-01-28_00105_zpsbe897d27.jpg

So once again I get a nice fat juicy title dropped right into my lap. The last time this happened it was playing as Aarif over in Baghdad, when the Caliphal title just kind of fell into our lap.

While this isn't being handed a vast Empire it is being given control over most of Morrocco, and therefore after we win this war against the Qutids enough to usurp the Crown of Mauretania. Which is something I would like because its apparent Yahya, is hellbent on involving himself in every war from Santiago to London.

Oh and did I mention this inheritance gave me 4,000 more troops already laying siege to Qutid territory?

Well, this war may now wrap up rather quickly.

So its the old rich uncle I didn't know I had left me an inheritance story? Sounds like the premise for a corny Steve Martin flick.

Also, the more we talk about Berber catholics, the more I've been hoping you build up a stable African empire and get an African pope put in place; that would just about make my day.

So its the old rich uncle I didn't know I had left me an inheritance story? Sounds like the premise for a corny Steve Martin flick.

Also, the more we talk about Berber catholics, the more I've been hoping you build up a stable African empire and get an African pope put in place; that would just about make my day.

They're not Berber catholics, they're Bedouin catholics. There actually was a significant contingent of Christian and Jewish Berbers in North Africa for a while.

Anyway great job on that Inheritence... Err... Very skillful indeed. Your great skill and intrigue payed off? Maybe? Maybe not?!

What is next in the cards for the new Emir, Samir (heh!). I wish Paradox would just add some sort of North African Empire, maybe just "Maghrebine Empire", because the current De Jure Arabian Empire just seems too large to me at least.

@Hiryuu: No you're probably not the only one, inheritances can be dicey and usually rely solely on luck and some grace from the RNG god. It's easier to inherit duchies when you get more powerful though by finding single duchesses. Some people avoid the inheritance game though due to how long it takes to get what you wanted, not to mention all the other factors that can come into play.

@ScribleScrable: Exactly! The old rich uncle story, seems like that happened on an episode of Breaking Bad, where an attorney was trying to bribe a person's former boss with hundreds of thousands of dollars. Building a powerful Northwestern Catholic state is definitely a priority of mine this turn.

@mike the knight: I have indeed! The Emirate of Fez is a great step in the right direction.

@TheDeaconBosco: True aren't the Berbers different in the game? I can't remember...but anyway Bedouin, I need to remember that when I'm writing. But the inheritance wasn't from intrigue it was a mere chance of luck I guess. Something the AI orchestrated or something I suppose. But I do agree with you, there should be a North African Empire, but the reason for the Arabian one being so large is based off the lands I believe the Rashidun Caliphs held, so it is historical in a way I suppose. As far as what is next for Emir Samir (that is a rhyme!) is to wrap this war up with the Qutid Sultanate and hopefully become Sultan of Mauretania!

Oh yeah you're right! I can just picture Saul Goodman running around fabricating claims and just causing shenanigans. Heck for an extra 100 gold he'd guarantee you'd inherit a duchy.

And you're right, its Bedouin, but I still like the idea of a Berber pope for future use.

Great job with the accidental inheritance! A Bedouin culture Pope would be interesting, and rather fun. Even if you just got a Bedouin cardinal, it would be great. Also nice to see that your Emirate is named Shaiban now. I love that thing...:p

The Bedouins are Arabs from the Arabian peninsula. The Berbers were the people that lived in North Africa, and their native languages aren't even related to Arabic. When the Caliphate expanded down north Africa a lot of native Berbers, especially burghers, were "arabised" But not all of them. This used to properly be represented in previous builds of the game where there was both a Berber and Maghreb cultures that were separated, now they aren't and that's really disappointing, I mean I understand why they did it, because, well the Arabic that's used in Morocco and the one used in Syria are very different but still... Sorry for the wall of text here, it was close to home.

Also, I'm that Greek guy you used to know from your time in the service was a dork, coming from a stud like you that plays medieval grand-strategy games. :rolleyes:

@ScribleScrable: Haha I can picture ole Saul Goodman running a racket like that as well. Wonder if his spinoff series will be any good.

@Scott1964: I suppose......?

@GreatUberGeek: A Bedouin Pope would be interesting, or an Andalusian Pope, I thought about trying to culture change to Andalusian but decided to keep the Bedouin. But anyways it is a lucky inheritance! Moves Samir one step closer to having enough lands to usurp Mauretania :)

@TheDeaconBosco: So did they get rid of the Maghreb culture altogether? Or is it just that it doesn't exist in the ToG start but does at the 1066 date?

They mashed it up with the Berber culture, which... Really isn't accurate since the split between Berbers and Arabs is a relevant issue still to this day. Hopefully you will manage to unify North Africa under the Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. :)

You're like a Bedouin Habsburg! You couldn't win a war worth a damn (though, given your overlord's track record, "Not losing" seems to be a major achievement), but you just walked right into a nice, gently-used, only-one-previous-owner-who-was-an-old-lady-who-only-ever-drove-it-to-church, mid-sized sedan state. :) Nicely done, I hope you can wrap up the war against the Qutids in a more expeditious manner now.

I can't quite tell from the last picture, but is the "Rah-Rah" gal still your heir?

Part 6.1 - Fez

@TheDeaconBosco: Yeah it wouldn't be very accurate in that case, although I do think there is still a Berber culture in game...I got a screenshot saying there is, which I guess Berber is the replacement for Maghreb? Apparently I have a Berber province that shifts to the Bedouin lifestyle at the end of this update.

@Stuyvesant: It is very nice when a title just magically falls into your lap like that. It will definitely help speed up the war against the Qutids. I was thinking I'd have to send the big mercenary army back home, but I got all of the former emir's money too so that helps a ton! So the war with the Qutids will go really fast now. And yeah as of right now "Rah-Rah" is still my heir unfortunately.

Anyways sorry its taken a while to write another update, had some electrical issues at home which made writing fairly inconvenient.

~~~~~
Part 6.1 - Fez​

When we last left Samir Shaiban had recently inherited a nice big very very powerful duchy of Fez, making him the most powerful lord in the whole Sultanate of Andalusia. Samir is even more powerful than his liege lord the Sultan.

Before the magical inheritance I was about to send our mercenaries home. They were draining the treasury and it was ticking towards 200 at a rate of 20 gold per month. But, luckily the death of our uncle tripled our gold amounts meaning the mercenaries can stay!

Two weeks after the inheritance, the soldiers of the former Emir who were now my men finished up their siege of Safi. I look around at this point, and notice that the Qutids have gathered a large army and were laying siege to my new county of El Rif. They have a little over 6,000 men, and had already occupied one settlement there. So I gather all my men together and begin the march.

Late in December the engagement would commence.

2014-01-28_00108_zps6f71332a.jpg

The odds are heavily in favor of Emir Samir, obviously. On January 4, 1079, the Qutids retreat having lost 4200 men compared to our losses of only a 1000.

This drives the war-score to 98 in our favor and forces the Qutid Sultanate to come to the peace table.

2014-01-28_00110_zpsed865350.jpg

Peace finally is brought to our corner of the world after a 5 year long war trying to displace the Qutids. Luckily we earned several lucky breaks in the whole thing. It could have easily swung the opposite direction. But fate smiled on Emir Samir.

Samir is also able to usurp the Emirate of Marrakech from the Sultan of the Qutids, of which I happily do, giving Samir two Emirate titles in less then six months. It appears our little Sheikh is on a meteoric rise to the front pages of history.

After usurping the title of Emir of Marrakech, I look at the Sultanate of Mauretania's page, and come to discover that I can also usurp that. Doing so would make Samir independent and would take the bulk of the Rahhalid's power away.

At first I was surprised by the fact that I could usurp a King tier title while being a vassal of a sultan, I had thought such a thing was not allowed! But apparently it is. Before clicking the Usurp button I ponder the repercussions. Andalusia would stand to lose over half of its territories, weakening it so much that it would become easy fodder for the other Iberian Kingdoms, especially that of Aragon which was back in the ascendancy over Navarra.

I really don't want to weaken Andalusia that much though, but our Sultan's constant warfare and stupid decisions regarding wars inclines me to grab my own Sultanate and leave the powers of Iberia to those living there.

2014-01-28_00114_zps99ff87de.jpg

After usurping the Sultanate of Mauretania and thereby giving it the name the Shaiban Sultanate, I betroth the heir of Andalusia to a younger sister of Samirs. That way I can help defend them against the Iberian monsters of Castille and Aragon/Navarra.

2014-01-28_00117_zps4c0aea8f.jpg

A year ago in game we were still a Sheikh, engaged in a large and some could say ill-advised holy war against the now defunct Qutid Sultanate. And now Samir sits as a Sultan in his own right. In 9 years from mere Sheikh to Sultan. And now it is time to decide what to do with this newfound Shaiban Sultanate.

As I debate on whether I take my bedouin camel warriors East and conquer North Africa for Christianity, or should I trek south into the jungles of Mali in a race against the Qutid Emirate to convert the Pagans? I look at the map thinking for a while, but before I can make a decision I get a message informing me that the Ummayad Emirate has declared a Holy War for Fez.

2014-01-28_00119_zps6def64c8.jpg

Great! The unintended consequences of usurping Mauretania is already about to be felt. The Ummayads had been vassals since the Rahhalids overthrew them in a decadence revolt. And apparently now that they were independent they were rushing to war to retake the lands they had once ruled over. However, this was probably a bit of a hasty move on their part.

Meanwhile I had forgotten my wife was pregnant as I was too busy plotting future moves and being surprised by the Ummayad Holy War against me. But Samir's lovely wife gave birth and this time to a son.

In honor of the newly named Shaiban Sultanate, Samir names the boy Shaiban ibn Samir Shaiban.

2014-01-28_00125_zps999c9510.jpg

This means he is now our heir, making Rah-Rah number two in the line of succession. Although, Prince Shaiban is currently ill, so he may not live all that long...

In May, Sunni insurgents rise up in El Rif, adding to our new Sultanate's problems.

2014-01-28_00127_zps79426e22.jpg

Luckily all of my forces are now gathered in Marrakech, and I march them off to El Rif to fight the insurgents. One battle takes place in which Samir's men slaughter the rebels and force the renegade Imam to sign a white peace just three weeks after they took up arms.

In July, the Sultan of Andalusia pledges support in defense of Mauretania against the Ummayads, which is nice, but not something I appreciate given the Rahhalid's track record in war.

In August, Samir's forces number close to 7000 men face off against the Ummayads 5,000 at the Battle of Meknes. Once again Samir proves himself to be victorious and destroys the Ummayad Army, and delivers an embarrassing blow to the Emirate by capturing the Emir himself.

2014-01-28_00139_zpsb07f9634.jpg

With Emir Akin as a prisoner peace is made with the Ummayads on August 31, 1079, only 6 months after the war started. We now have a truce with the Ummayad Emirate, which means there can be no Eastward expansion for a while. So that pretty much makes my decision on whether to go east or south much more simple.

But before declaring another war I decide to wait, deciding that patience is a virtue and that Samir's lands could use some time of peace to recover from six years of bloodshed.

While I wait, I look around the world and see that Italy is ruled by yet another dynasty, their current King is Stefan de Poher, a Breton. The de Poher dynasty displaces the Italian house of Bonafazi.

I also create the Emirate of Tangiers and hand it off to a local Sheikh.

Months pass by quickly, and in July of 1080, I marry my younger sister Taliba off to the Prince and heir apparent of the Rahhalid Sultanate of Andalusia Yahya.

I scan the map again not really noticing anything to significant to report in the lands we have visited in the past. Although I do notice something slightly disturbing. Apparently the Pope, is now a Byzantine vassal.

2014-01-28_00155_zpsb39b7a1b.jpg

I also notice that the ERE has a new Emperor. I look at who it is saddened that the Mihaljovic's didn't assume the purple, and therefore there will be no Hungarian/Byzantine resurrection. The new emperor is Sergios Manikophagos, a dynasty that is more or less to blame for the Byzantine misfortunes.

I then discover that the Sheikh of Anti-Atlas is trying to lay claim to the Emirate of Marrakech. Being slightly displeased by this I imprison him, but was secretly hoping he'd revolt so that I could revoke his county without a tyranny penalty.

But since he surrendered, I decide to banish him especially since his banishment will give Samir an extra 310 gold.

2014-01-28_00161_zpsda7ecae6.jpg

Growing bored I also execute Ya'qub (the imam) for leading a Sunni insurgency. Emptying my dungeons of mouths to feed.

More time passes and some conversions occur spreading the roots of Christianity deeper into Mauretania. When in March of 1081 the Sultan of Andalusia calls Samir into a new Holy War against the Ummayads for Tlemcen.

2014-01-28_00163_zps87fbef84.jpg

I initially start to help out in the war, eventually I'll give up after the Saudis join the fight. Not because I wanted to lose, but because I realized helping Andalusia gain Tlemcen would mean I'd have to fight the Iberians for it later. This is not something I'd like to do. I really don't want to have to march through Grenada or into Iberia just to gain de jure lands in North Africa.

As I'm getting ready to call up Samir's men, I look south and start thinking about declaring a Holy War against Mali. But another Sunni rebellion would interrupt me.

So I march Samir's men up to Ceuta where the Sunni insurgents are laying siege. The battle is easily won and I sign yet another white peace with the Sunnis, imprisoning their militant Imam.

Instead of marching my men to the East to help the Rahhalids I disband them. And continue to allow my counties to recover from war and watch the Andalusians futilely through their men up against the joint forces of Ummaya-Saudids.

I go and look around the world once more at that point. Looking in on Indy in Ireland. It seems so long ago we were off conquering with little Indy. He's now an old man, and has had two sons now! All that worry and headache about the evil cousin Crimthann seems to have been for naught.

2014-02-06_00016_zps0272c452.jpg

So Indy's line in Ireland will apparently continue to rule the united kingdoms of Ireland-Alba and continue to be a pain in the English's rear. In fact, Indy is currently at war with the English as we speak.

The year is now 1083, and another sister comes of age and I send her off to marry the Emir of Aragon, Muno d'Avalos. All the while watching the Rahhalids fight the Ummayads, which is fun considering the two have fought many times in the past.

A few more months pass by and its growing time to end this update. And we'll end it on a note regarding cultures as promised.

The county of Anti-Atlas, shifts into the Bedouin Culture, giving up the Berber culture. Which if I had known then that the Berber culture existed I may have tried to convert over to it, or at least educate Samir's kids to it. But then again that would create vassal relation issues so keeping the Bedouin culture is probably for the best in the long run.

2014-02-06_00028_zps8ff79587.jpg

Next update, we will begin to lay the foundations to introduce the Pagans of Mali to Christianity.

Now Mauretania is under your benevolent rule ,Indy has smooth succession ,if only Byzantines have not destroyed your plan .....

You have no idea how happy it makes me to see the Byzzies all carved up in your game.

Also, it seems like things are coming along nicely in north Africa. I would have probably gone Berber myself, but I wait with bated breath for the coming of the mighty west African catholic Bedouin nation!

It amuses me that the Byzantines, who hold little more than some scattered holdings across the Balkans, still managed to make the Pope their vassal. :)

The Shaiban Sultanate has come a long way (considering it didn't even exist at the beginning of the update, that's a pretty safe statement). I look forward to finding out just how much of a homegrown Catholic powerhouse you can build in North Africa (and West Africa, if your expedition to Mali is successful).

This is one very lucky game indeed! From a small little emir to two sultanates and beating several Muslim powers...great job! Can't wait for Chrisitanity to spread throughout Africa.

@mike the knight: The Byzzies did destroy the Mihaljevic ambitions sadly. A lot of that is because they're now an elective succession system.

@ScribleScrable: Hopefully we can create a mighty West African Bedouin Catholic nation! Things seem to be going in the right direction for us at the moment though.

@Stuyvesant: It is pretty amusing that they've vassalized the Pope! Whether it will do them any good remains to be seen though. They do have Pope Gregory VI acting as their Chancellor though, which I find even more amusing. Hopefully I'm able to build a powerhouse, it will take a lot of time due to travel times.

@Hiryuu: That is definitely what I'm planning on creating! Unite all of West Africa under the Shaiban Sultanate.

@GreatUberGeek: It has been lucky for sure! Although it's been from a lowly Sheikh (count) > two Emirates (duchies) > one Sultanate :) but regardless, it has been a very lucky run thus far.