• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Someone should make the effort of converting all of those "banu" dynasties into something "english" (Banu Ziri to Zirid for example)

easy to change to your liking, take post SoI vanilla file.

I dont mind taking the time to do the conversion, just, you know, after my ACR update xD

Though what I could do now is boot up a git hub repository, with all information on how to push changes and all necessary files. That way, people can fix what they want to fix and then send it to me, I'll merge in the main repository and that way works gets done periodically until I, or anyone else who would be interested, does the major modding.

Zirid is at least more correct than Banu Ziri. People will recognize Fatamid, but Banu Fatamiyyun is well, you know.

But... it's a name derived from a family. You have to go looking to see what kingdom or empire it represents. It's prone to changing at random times, too. It just seems pointless to anglicise...

But... it's a name derived from a family. You have to go looking to see what kingdom or empire it represents. It's prone to changing at random times, too. It just seems pointless to anglicise...

What do you mean? The "kingdom" name would change with the dynasty, considering it is muslim. But well maybe it is bit of a preference on my side though. I recognize names like Hammadid, Zirid, Fatimid, Almoravid but when all of these have other strange names it becomes a bit unappealing. But dynasties that were legitimately called something like Banu Hilal I am totally fine with.

What do you mean? The "kingdom" name would change with the dynasty, considering it is muslim. But well maybe it is bit of a preference on my side though. I recognize names like Hammadid, Zirid, Fatimid, Almoravid but when all of these have other strange names it becomes a bit unappealing. But dynasties that were legitimately called something like Banu Hilal I am totally fine with.

It just strikes me as pointless because it's not a place name, and recognising it doesn't mean much.

Also, for reference, the name thing is cultural and not religious (works for Zoroastrians too).

Lo and behold:
The official Speak English Dammit! Github repository.

If you have any questions, you can ask me and I'll do my best to answer them. From now on, if you notice a bug in the sub-mod, you can fix it yourself by forking the repository and pushing your own fixes. If any of them are controversial, like dynasty name changes or dynamic name changing, we can discuss it here before adding it to the main mod.

For now I've added the original localisations by Leviathan07, CJL78 and Ofalaf and I've also added the landed_titles files and dynasty files so you can directly modify the files and dont have to look for them in SWMH. If any of the SWMH devs object to this, please speak up!

Edit: Jaidal, would you consider adding the link to the repository? That way it will be easier for people to gain access to it. I'll also link the thread in my sig.

How does this sound for guiding principles of the sub-mod? Please comment on any parts you disagree with:

1. In general, all kingdoms should have standard English names, regardless of who controls them. This does not exclude dynamic name changes which are already a part of vanilla CKII, or which involve situations where the English name used to refer to a title DID change with the culture of the owner/likely would have.

2. Duchies should also receive standard English names, but could perhaps be open to change with the culture of the ruler. I think it would be nice to have Irish duchies change with the culture of the ruler, or to have southern French duchies receive Occitan names if their top liege isn't French or Norman or English. More than anything else, this is founded on the idea that in an alt-history scenario where England did not become dominant in Ireland, or the French did not remain dominant in Occitan lands, that the standard names for these areas in English would be in their local name (or a Latinized form, but let's not worry about that).

3. For the most part, counties don't need to be touched. But if we ever get around to it, it may be nice to have them change on the same basis as duchies.

4. Culture-specific equivalents of count/duke/king/etc. should be considered on a case-by-case basis, though the guiding principle should be that if there is a standard/common English equivalent for a title (including vanilla CKII usage), it should be used. E.G. king-tier Russians should be called grand princes (not kings, and not velikiy knyaz), a Greek duke should be called doux, Arabians get sultans and emirs, etc. But we should avoid stuff like comte or furst.

How does this sound for guiding principles of the sub-mod? Please comment on any parts you disagree with:

1. In general, all kingdoms should have standard English names, regardless of who controls them. This does not exclude dynamic name changes which are already a part of vanilla CKII, or which involve situations where the English name used to refer to a title DID change with the culture of the owner/likely would have.

2. Duchies should also receive standard English names, but could perhaps be open to change with the culture of the ruler. I think it would be nice to have Irish duchies change with the culture of the ruler, or to have southern French duchies receive Occitan names if their top liege isn't French or Norman or English. More than anything else, this is founded on the idea that in an alt-history scenario where England did not become dominant in Ireland, or the French did not remain dominant in Occitan lands, that the standard names for these areas in English would be in their local name (or a Latinized form, but let's not worry about that).

3. For the most part, counties don't need to be touched. But if we ever get around to it, it may be nice to have them change on the same basis as duchies.
Seems quite sensible.

4. Culture-specific equivalents of count/duke/king/etc. should be considered on a case-by-case basis, though the guiding principle should be that if there is a standard/common English equivalent for a title (including vanilla CKII usage), it should be used. E.G. king-tier Russians should be called grand princes (not kings, and not velikiy knyaz), a Greek duke should be called doux, Arabians get sultans and emirs, etc. But we should avoid stuff like comte or furst.
I propose that we simply intergrate my high kings and consuls mod for those, I was careful to follow vanilla guidelines, such as only translated version of titles occur in A: Imperial titles B: Exotic cultures if King/duke/count/baron does not mean the same thing (For example, I chose Grand Knyaz for russian kings and Ban for hungarian dukes, but scandinavian dukes are Duke and not Herzog), its also heavely modular so worse case scenario we can pick and choose.

Yay or nay?

Seems quite sensible.

I propose that we simply intergrate my high kings and consuls mod for those, I was careful to follow vanilla guidelines, such as only translated version of titles occur in A: Imperial titles B: Exotic cultures if King/duke/count/baron does not mean the same thing (For example, I chose Grand Knyaz for russian kings and Ban for hungarian dukes, but scandinavian dukes are Duke and not Herzog), its also heavely modular so worse case scenario we can pick and choose.

Yay or nay?

Yay, except I really don't like Grand Knyaz. Grand Prince or Velikiy Knyaz (or whatever Romanization you want) would be alright, but the mix is just weird. Sometimes you see Velikiy Knyaz, more often you see Grand Prince, but you never really see Grand Knyaz in English - and isn't established usage the guiding principle of the SED project?

Yay, except I really don't like Grand Knyaz. Grand Prince or Velikiy Knyaz (or whatever Romanization you want) would be alright, but the mix is just weird. Sometimes you see Velikiy Knyaz, more often you see Grand Prince, but you never really see Grand Knyaz in English - and isn't established usage the guiding principle of the SED project?
I made Grand Knyaz because Velikiy simply means grand or great and I thought it would make a good compromise. But as I've said, its pretty easy to pick and choose :p

I also made that choice because I really dislike seeing one word being used for two different tiers.

I made Grand Knyaz because Velikiy simply means grand or great and I thought it would make a good compromise. But as I've said, its pretty easy to pick and choose :p

I also made that choice because I really dislike seeing one word being used for two different tiers.

I know what velikiy means, it's just weird to see the Russian and English mixed like that. I understand the reasoning, but IMO the compromise just doesn't work.

I don't see how Prince > Grand Prince is any worse than King > High King (which I assume exists somewhere due to the name of your mod). And it serves to represent the difference between political organization in Russia as compared to the west - there isn't a very sharp, fundamental divide between what, in game, are duke- and king-tier titles.