Hearts of Iron IV - Development Diary 1 - Our Vision

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"For the micro-managers out there - you can still do very detailed plans and update them in real-time, which will basically work like the old manual control but the system will reward successful longer term plans, so expect to have a few things to learn! "

Could this part be specified or will we have to wait for further DD's? As it is, it seems you are giving something better to one style of gameplay vs the other and that does not sit well with me.

future diary. in short though microing means last minute changes, eg less chance for preparations of men and material, but of course its more flexible and gives away less in advance to an opponent

Most agree the map is beuatiful but lets get to some nuts and bolts and talk about the mysterious icons. On the top we have unity, ???, Manpower, Industry (land, Naval, air??), Terrian view, diplomatic/political view, blank, blank, speed, ???, ???. Under that on the left we have Production, Research, Diplomacy, Battleplans or supply maybe?, then the notebook thing which could be battleplans as well but really has me stumped if it is not battleplans. Finally, on the far right we have messages?, Germany, 42? (I think the 42 is a reference to Jackie Robinson ;)) What are your thoughts?

Most agree the map is beuatiful but lets get to some nuts and bolts and talk about the mysterious icons. On the top we have unity, ???, Manpower, Industry (land, Naval, air??), Terrian view, diplomatic/political view, blank, blank, speed, ???, ???. Under that on the left we have Production, Research, Diplomacy, Battleplans or supply maybe?, then the notebook thing which could be battleplans as well but really has me stumped if it is not battleplans. Finally, on the far right we have messages?, Germany, 42? (I think the 42 is a reference to Jackie Robinson ;)) What are your thoughts?

The raised fist is probably dissent

and the number could be rank/score?

Not read all 10 pages so apologies if this has already been asked.

Regarding this bit...
For the micro-managers out there - you can still do very detailed plans and update them in real-time, which will basically work like the old manual control but the system will reward successful longer term plans, so expect to have a few things to learn!

Interesting choice of words.

Does this imply that you can't actually move units individually?

i.e. that you have to have a "plan" but you can be very detailed on how you give orders to units "within" the plan?

So let's say I want to move a division from one city to another way behind the lines. I sure the heck hope this doesn't mean I have to have a "plan" to do that.

How many times do we move units around to swap a brigade? Does this require a plan? I do have some worries about this battle plan thing.

Brigade swapping could be made less micro-intensive, BTW. Regional equipment pools could help with that.

The easy way would be dragging a box in the province, pressing hotkey and then show a window with the counters and below the counters, the spaces where you would then shuffle brigades.

For example drag a box in Berlin, one division with 3 INF ART and the other 2 INF AT AA. You drag the box, screen shows and there would be both divisions with the big counter and below the brigade icons. Then you would shuffle them. If there were five divisions, then the five counters. Well you get the idea.

Last edited:
future diary. in short though microing means last minute changes, eg less chance for preparations of men and material, but of course its more flexible and gives away less in advance to an opponent

so, the premise is you dictate to the ai, and watch it attempt to do what you asked it? Rewarding longer-term planning sounds like you are trying to discourage micro. It also sounds like a hands-off approach to a grand strategy game. I will wait for the DD of course, but the first remnants of fear are begining to emerge.

HoI 4 announcement: I was like meh, another WW2 game. Why no Rome 2, or modern.

But have to say this looks like it's not going to be just another WW2 game. It could be THE WW2 game. The incentive to plan and have AI execute the plans could really truly make this the mother of all grand war games. More like a manager than miro manager with control still available at a price sounds awesome. And then the plausible history sandbox direction for replay. Keep up the good work.

I hope that old beta testers will go "Oh, I remember this" when they receive their invitation.

Hintity hint hint ;)

Oh and congratulations, Podcat, on your first big project, IIRC you were so far only responsible for DLCs, right? :)

I hope that old beta testers will go "Oh, I remember this" when they receive their invitation.

Hintity hint hint ;)

Oh and congratulations, Podcat, on your first big project, IIRC you were so far only responsible for DLCs, right? :)

Thanks :) Yeah I'v only been in charge of expansions and DLC before and worked as a programmer on larger projects.