Hearts of Iron IV - Development Diary 1 - Our Vision

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can't wait looks fantastic, I love hoi3 and tfh so this is going blow me away..:)

Why would you make the map 3d? It's absolutely disgusting to look at and completely inappropriate for a wargame.
I was under the impression that the more in-depth games like HoI and Victoria would remain 2d while those with broader appeal (Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, I think Ck2 is one of Paradox's best games) would be 3d.

I Implore you to rethink this design decision, HoI3's map may have been awful, but that was only because of its projection and bizarre smooth coastlines. Victoria 2 has the best map Paradox has produced thanks to its simplicity, I really think something along those lines should be aimed for rather than a 'modern' looking 3d mess.

What's wrong with 3D? It looks nice.

Anyway I am almost certain a flat heightmap mod will be made on release day. Even before release day if there's a demo.

I dont see "Russia" but "Soviet Uniont", but yes, I noticed now ;)

Oh god.... :D

Brainfart, sorry.

Not many other details can be seen in that screenshot unfortunately. The screens seem to be limited to four for now; production, research, diplomacy, battle plans, politics?

Luckily Februari is a short month....

Fantastic map and very good first dev diary. I found this interesting:
For the micro-managers out there - you can still do very detailed plans and update them in real-time, which will basically work like the old manual control but the system will reward successful longer term plans, so expect to have a few things to learn! There won't be any large "automate this" buttons in the game. We want all parts to be fun and playable. If they are not, they get redesigned or replaced.
I'm so looking forward to get my hands on this game.

Best of luck with the game looking forward to the Diaries but sorry to say I hate that type of map for a WWII game even if it does look like an attractive version of the planet that we live on.

Why would you make the map 3d? It's absolutely disgusting to look at and completely inappropriate for a wargame.
I was under the impression that the more in-depth games like HoI and Victoria would remain 2d while those with broader appeal (Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, I think Ck2 is one of Paradox's best games) would be 3d.

I Implore you to rethink this design decision, HoI3's map may have been awful, but that was only because of its projection and bizarre smooth coastlines. Victoria 2 has the best map Paradox has produced thanks to its simplicity, I really think something along those lines should be aimed for rather than a 'modern' looking 3d mess.

Err . . Vicky and HOI3 were 3D games. You appear not to know what you are talking about.

So basically, the Americas being in the wrong place is the game-design equivalent of the QWERTY keyboard - a kludge that made sense at the time but which may not make sense any more?

I would counter that it still makes sense for HoI4 in that since most of the combat of the era was in the Eastern Hemisphere you need to maximize the land area of that hemisphere. Now, if you want to be totally geographically correct, the result would be having to chop off the Southern part of Chile & Argentina so that the latitudes at the south end of the Eastern Hemisphere and Western Hemisphere match. (would also need to extend the map in the Northern part of the Americas upward closer to the Arctic ocean and include all of Alaska, Yukon and more of Baffin Island/Greenland).

Either that or you reduce the land surface size of the Eastern Hemisphere, put in more ocean, and reduce the number of land provinces in that half of the world because of the smaller number of total land pixels to work with.

in the end, I think this map represents a happy compromise that ensures gameplay functionality while providing more than enought geographic precision to make it clear this isn't a fantasy map but one based on physical reality for the most part, with tweaks made to enhance the gameplay experience.

Of course in the end if players feel they just have to have a 100% geographically accurate map, they can always mod it post-release to fit their own tastes and preferences. That is exactly how the map Xie and I developed several years ago began.

Dear Cat. Podcat ;)

From a very close reading it seems that there might be a penality (or losing a bonus) for those that love to micromanage and change things up. This elads to one simple question.

Will the battle plan be detailed enough to allow you to designate specific troops to only advance into a province AFTER the battle has been won? You know the thing all of us micromanagers.

xKxIXH8.gif

Loks really nice. So far it's shaping up to be a wonderful game. The map does indeed look fantastic.

Yeah its a good map for gameplay. No projection is really "accurate" its all about what you need it for. We moved some stuff around as well for example the english channel is much wider than in reality to make invasions and strategic warfare more interesting. It was much too narrow for doing that ok in hoi3.

That seems like a bit of a weird design decision. Looks like british isles are shifted 50 - 70 km north (although it doesn't look that bad, it is noticable). Wouldn't this affect airplane range and in return strategic warfare on both ends? I guess you wanted the extra sea provinces, and can appreciate the idea of coastal zones on both ends as well as a a pure sea zone in between; but it is after all just a channel.

The map is very nice-looking but I have one comment though: will the map be functional?
IIRC the HoI3 map looked nice but made it hard to determine what type a province was, so a simplified terrain mapmode was released shortly after.

Yes, we have put a lot of effort into making tactical choices easy to see at the zoomed in level. Each province is very clearly one terrain etc, which was not so easy in HoI3 (some mods did good replacement textures however)

haha :D I love it

Hopefully Faux Cyrillic will not make a return on the map. It was very annoying for anybody understanding Cyrillic letters.

No, they are gone. My team beat me until I gave up :(

That seems like a bit of a weird design decision. Looks like british isles are shifted 50 - 70 km north (although it doesn't look that bad, it is noticable). Wouldn't this affect airplane range and in return strategic warfare on both ends? I guess you wanted the extra sea provinces, and can appreciate the idea of coastal zones on both ends as well as a a pure sea zone in between; but it is after all just a channel.

Since everything is province based and they have a minimum size before it gets hard to see anything its pretty important. You'll understand later when we go over strategic warfare, invasions and naval stuff