• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As suggested by elvain,I'm creating this thread to be used for everything concerning the Balkan peninsula.

I'll copy some suggestions I made in older posts:

Anyway,while playing my current game I noticed Prizren,in the duchy of Rashka,is having Albanian culture.This is completely incorrect,since Albanians became the majority there much later (19th century).For the CK II time period,the situation was like this

The Dečani charters (Serbian: Дечанске хрисовуље) from 1321-1331 by Stephen Uroš III Dečanski of Serbia contains a detailed list of households and villages in Metohija and northwestern Albania. The first charter concludes that this region was ethnically Serb.[39]

89 settlements with 2,666 households were recorded of which:[40]

3 Albanian settlements (3,3%)
86 Serbian settlements (96,6%)

2,166 livestock households of 2,666 agricultural households:

44 Albanian households (2%)
2,122 Serbian households (98%)

Ohrid also should have Bulgarian culture,instead of Albanian,since it was a stronghold of the Bulgarian Emperor.

Should I copy everything I suggested since the last version of SWMH here?

In the 12th century, the name Duklja was beginning to be replaced by the name Zeta. Therefore, for one half of the game's time one name was used, and for the other half, a different one was used. The easiest thing to do would be changing Duklja to Zeta around the middle of the 12th century.

The conversion of Serbia from Slavic paganism to Christianity only started in 867, therefore, the populace should be Slavic Pagan.

For Serbs, the Spymaster can be called Vrhovni Špijun, and the Steward could be called Blagajnik or Rizničar.

Belgrade was called Nándorfehérvár by the Hungarians, and could have that as a Hungarian cultural name.

Slavonia is in English even in the native names version of SWMH, and should be Slavonija in that version instead.

The German cultural name for Szeged is Temeswar, a name for Temesvar.

The Greek name for Arbër was Arbanon, which could be used as a Greek cultural name.

Dyrrachion is called Durrës in Albanian, and should be called that if held by one.

The name of Sofia in the Middle Ages was Sredets.

King Vukan of Zeta was Grand Prince of Serbia from 1202 to 1204.

The Bosnian culture should be called Bosanski.

The Bosnian culture doesn't have the cultural title names that the Croatian and Serbian culture have (Veliki Župan, Župan, etc.). They should be the same, except maybe for the Duke title which could be Ban.

The barony of Zemun is north of the Sava river, in S(ze)rem, therefore it should not be in the county of Belgrade.

Two of the sons of the ruler of Balgariya in 867 are supposedly one person: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?720918-Rasate-does-not-exist

The first A in Balgariya should be Â.

The first A in Balgarsko should be Â.

The Carantanian culture should be called Karantanski, not Karantanija.

The barony of Kalemegdan in Belgrade's name is anachronistic, as the name comes from Turkish.

The barony of Kumanovo does not belong in the county of Naissos, and is located in the Skopje province.

The province of Zahumlje is Croatian in 867, whereas even later into the game's timeframe, it was a Serbian petty kingdom.

The duchy and county of Rashka should be called Raška.

Since Raška as a term was mentioned only at the end of the XII century, it might be best to rename it to something else, and considering that the Vlastimirović dynasty who control Rashka in 867 officially ruled Serbia, it would be best to rename it to Serbia.

Stefan Dragutin of Serbia (Stefan III ingame for some reason) was from 1282 to 1316 the king of S(ze)rem. His lands were what are in SWMH Belgrade, Macva and Usora.

The Dukljanin dyansty in the game is actually the Vojislavljević dynasty.

Thessaloniki should be called Solun if held by a Slav.

Constantinople should be called Tsargrad if held by a Slav.

Started on a little overhaul of some parts of the Balkans beginning with Dalmatia(finally got some Islands to play around with^_^).
Had planned on splitting up the duchy so that the duchy of Dalmatia would only be the mainland, atm the islands has been spitted up in two duchies one of Hvar; Hvar(with Vis and Lastovo included in the province), Brač and Korčula. And one of Krk; Krk, Cres and Pag(which got Dugi and the other Zadar islands included in its province). Miljet can be added as province too I guess but its probably more suited to be linked to Dubrovnik?

Well Mljet was only formally annexed by Dubrovnik in 1410,so I guess It would fit more to have a separate province if possible.Also,I don't know how accurate is to keep Dubrovnik province under the de jure kingdom of Croatia...

Well Mljet was only formally annexed by Dubrovnik in 1410,so I guess It would fit more to have a separate province if possible.Also,I don't know how accurate is to keep Dubrovnik province under the de jure kingdom of Croatia...
Considering that it stayed independent for a really long time, creating a new kingdom might be best.
But if nothing else, changing it so that in the early period it's tied to Serbia, then later on to Croatia (or perhaps Bosnia) would be good.

Considering that it stayed independent for a really long time, creating a new kingdom might be best.
But if nothing else, changing it so that in the early period it's tied to Serbia, then later on to Croatia (or perhaps Bosnia) would be good.

Considering it was ruled for quite a long time during the CK2 period by Venice 1205-1358, i would sort of like it if Ragusa was given to Venice, to give them an incentive to take that particular province in the Adriatic. But i would also love to see it as an independent Kingdom, with a Ragusan republic finally created, to give Venice some competition in the Adriatic.

There is much more potential in those ideas than just leaving it with Serbia or Croatia imo.

Do you guys create wars? Because covering Georgi Voiteh's rebellion against Byzantium in 1072 would be interesting.
It had the potential to create quite a large realm considering that Constantine Bodin (son of King Mihailo of Duklja, who rules in 1066, and the next ruler of Duklja) would have become Bulgarian Emperor had the rebellion succeeded.

Will make Dubrovnik/Ragusa a two province duchy under Serbia, hopefully there will be time to make them a little playable republic as well.
Do you guys create wars? Because covering Georgi Voiteh's rebellion against Byzantium in 1072 would be interesting.
It had the potential to create quite a large realm considering that Constantine Bodin (son of King Mihailo of Duklja, who rules in 1066, and the next ruler of Duklja) would have become Bulgarian Emperor had the rebellion succeeded.
We haven't really done much in wars earlier but its part of working on history I guess so can't see any problem adding it.

We haven't really done much in wars earlier but its part of working on history I guess so can't see any problem adding it.
Having more wars in certain scenarios simply spices them up a bit.
Like actually having the HYW in the HYW scenario. :p

Will make Dubrovnik/Ragusa a two province duchy under Serbia, hopefully there will be time to make them a little playable republic as well.

The main thing for me is that they become a republic like they should be :D

The little overhaul seems like it will have to turn into a complete overhaul for most of the Balkans, apart from the new coastlines I have also added/corrected quite a lot of rivers and that has revealed a few more issues under the hood in the area than I had expected. Therefore the whole Balkans will receive a big face lift for the coming version and be reworked with full dynamic naming added etc. Apart from the Croatian coastline most problems appears to be in the west of the Bulgarian empire, do anyone know of a map of regional division of the thing or some list of comitial like titles for it during the second empire?

Last edited:
Well, there is a guy called NikeBG on the Taleworlds forums who might be able to help you with that, considering that he does research on one of the most history focused Mount and Blade Warband mods, which happens to take place in the early years of the Second Bulgarian Empire, in 1200.

Well, there is a guy called NikeBG on the Taleworlds forums who might be able to help you with that, considering that he does research on one of the most history focused Mount and Blade Warband mods, which happens to take place in the early years of the Second Bulgarian Empire, in 1200.

I do suppose that most county-level divisions that we know of will be from the late First Empire or from the Second Empire. I am a little bit more knowledgeable about the ERE's history than the Bulgarian.

I know him quite well and I got plenty of his maps for Bulgaria, as we helped each other with mods for Knights of Honor and he did help me a lot with Bulgaria for Arabia Universalis EU2 mod...
and I have just passed the maps to Aasmul..