• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I should know more about the Linux process (all else being equal I would be only using Linux-- I only added dual-boot with Windows to my computer for Paradox), but for whatever reason, I can't run CKII on Linux: it doesn't fail or CTD or anything, it's just that the Steam[OS] wrapper based on Wine-- Windows Emulator-- is so slow on my machine for whatever reason that I'm not patient enough to ever get past the loading screen. It probably doesn't help that I run 64-bit optimized linux (not only Paradox but Steam's whole Linux platform is 32-bit only) and have a weird graphics unit (though it's totally competent on Windows and in Linux when using the proper driver), one of the CPU-integrated AMD Radeon 7770 HDs (they call it an APU). At least a few things must be running in worst-case, fall-back emulation mode, making even get past the "Computing Checksum..." stage a challenge. [ I have 4 damn cores running at 4.1GHz with excessive amounts of L1/L2 cache and blazing-fast DDR-2100! ]

You do know that CK2 is available natively for Linux on Steam right? No need to use Wine. Also, running a 64bit Linux is no problem if you have the necessary 32bit libraries installed (the ones Steam needs, any libraries games need the Steam runtime takes care of).

I'm sorry you non-windows guys are having trouble installing the mod. I honestly didn't know .exe's were a no-no on mac and linux machines :(

I'm trying to consider ways to make it easier for you guys, if you truly are having a bad time, so I'd like to ask: do mods generally work in macs and linux the same way they work on windows, or does it require any tweaking? I assume they do, since I never heard of it before, but just to make sure...

Just give us the Python script, if there are any issues with it we can work it out. And yes, mods generally work on Linux. It's just a bit fiddly to load them unless you are using one of the player-made launchers.
The only thing modders need to remember is that most (if not all) filesystems that are used on Linux are case sensitive. That means that you can't tell the game to load 'filex12.png' when it's actually called 'FileX12.png'.

Is it possible to combine all the modules with like CPR SWMHM+PB? Otherwise, I'll just have to wait for immersion to being updated because I can't really play without a portrait mod.

Is it possible to combine all the modules with like CPR SWMHM+PB? Otherwise, I'll just have to wait for immersion to being updated because I can't really play without a portrait mod.
I can't say for 100% but I am actualy running SWMH with CPR (PB+SWMH version) with no problems.

So for us with 32-bit systems there's basically nothing to do about it?
I'm looking into compiling it as a 32-bit application. It is however not quite as simple as some make it out to be. Python doesn't have all that great compilation tools.
I finally got it working.

• I had named the 'Historical Immersion Project' correctly and in the same folder as the HIP.mod file, so that was not the problem

• I had to copy the contents of each individual mod into that folder, rather than move each folder - which involved careful copying, pasting and replacing (i tried doing a general replace all but that had disastrous consequences). I cant imagine this was the way you designed it to work (at least I didn't get that impression from the instructions, but it seemed to be the only way - maybe it is a OS X issue).

Things that wern't clear to me which may help others (feel free to correct me if i am wrong, but it worked for me):

• I had to use both the NBRT+ files and the NBRT+ARKO files from their respective folders to get that mod working correctly.

• You need the VIET Assets files if you want to use any of the VIET mod. I originally thought that was a combined mod and not necessary if you wanted to use any separately (as you do if you use PB).

Anyway I hope this helps people. Now on to the fun bit, playing. it looks fantastic, so thanks for all your hard work!
The instructions do specify "contents" ;) I'll emphasize it a bit more next version.
I'll make a few other edits to make things a bit clearer.

As a Mac user, I'm encountering altogether quite a bit of difficulty in merging the folders correctly. I generally seem to encounter a crash right before game loading finishes. Is it at all possible to have someone upload a pre-bundled Mac version with ARKO, NBRT+, PB, SWMH and VIET (minus the immersion bits, to ensure SWMH compatibility). Obviously, I could be overlooking complications on this front as well, but I've been fiddling with the merging process for the better part of an hour without any success.
Have you made sure to remove the user_dir line from the .mod file? Last I encountered an OS X user, that line crashed their game. It's quite a while ago now, so it might've been fixed, but I simply have no real way to know.

No, Meneth just needs to recompile the installer executable as a 32-bit program and, presumably, swap his bundled Python DLL for a 32-bit version. Depending upon his build tool, that may be a single checkbox and click away. A 32-bit installer will work on every machine in the world for which the 64-bit installer would have worked had the machine been running native 64-bit.

32-bit systems will be around a lot longer than HIP will be-- even longer so if HIP starts out of the gate with policies like unnecessarily shutting-out 32-bit users.

What build tools are you using?

You merely need to change the architecture target to x86/i686 in the Makefile / build tool options, compile a 32-bit EXE, and similarly rebuild or swap the bundled Python DLL for a 32-bit one. The compiled binaries identify themselves as 32-bit to the operating system when they're being loaded, and even your CPU won't care-- the instructions will be handled natively, since they're the same and just a subset of the 64-bit instruction set. Most of the programs you run daily on Windows are 32-bit, including CKII.

The ability to compile a 32-bit x86 program is independent of the architecture of the machine with which you're compiling it. Your build tool just needs to be told what to do. If it's what I'm thinking (a Turn-Your-Python-Program-Into-A-Binary tool, possibly even part of the official Python distribution), I can't advise too much, as I've not used it. Ultimately, any such tool needs a compiler, however, and there are only so many of those for Windows that are freely/easily available. Every single one of them supports compiling 32-bit programs out of the box. The compiler is what needs to be instructed to output 32-bit object code rather than its apparent default.

Did you download the tool / Python bundle from somewhere? If there doesn't appear to be an option for 32-bit in the tool and the documentation yields nothing, I'm sure that checking back at the source website would lead you to a 32-bit alternative download.

If the system uses a Makefile at all, then you're set. Within the Makefile, you will find the compiler clearly defined as CC = <compiler program name> near the top. You should also run into default Makefile options around there for ARCH (architecture) or TARGET or at least generic build options arguments that can be customized to use the correct command-line parameters for the indicated compiler to instruct it to build for i686. If the CC (C Compiler) is gcc or g++ or something with mingw in the name, then I am familiar with the build options for targeting specific architectures and can presumably help you out if you need it by then.

32-bit works for 100% of users and 64-bit for only 80% and lacks a single downside. Enabling HIP for the other 20% has, uh, a couple hundred upsides.
It's a bit more complicated than that, as Python doesn't actually have any compilation tools inbuilt, and the 3rd party tools aren't great.
I use CXfreeze, which works pretty well, but has absolutely no option for 32-bit.
However, I believe it will compile a 32-bit version if I install 32-bit Python 3.3, and 32-bit CXfreeze. I'm going to try that out momentarily and make an .exe available for those on 32-bit systems to try out.
There are no makefiles involved. Compiling is a matter of simply calling "cxfreeze main.py" from CMD (or for the case of simplicity, a .BAT file).

Yes please do it! Must be an option in the compiler to built the exe as both 64bit and 32 bit.

Thank you anyway!
There isn't. But I'll see if I can get it to compile 32-bit by installing 32-bit Python.
@Meneth,what is the reason behind taking the invasion CB from the mongol hordes?Now they just sit there with huge ammount of troops,conquering here and there an occasional county.
They should still have it. There might be a few issues with the CB though; I'll have to look into that. Create a thread about it or post about it in the PB thread.

There seems to be an issue with SWMH (with and without NBRT+) on Linux, http://i.imgur.com/Gd7hcSu.png.
There are some artifacts seemingly randomly placed across Europe, but it's the worst around Denmark, and it seems like most of the rivers are also affected to some degree. If you need more specific information I'm willing to help.

There seems to be an issue with SWMH (with and without NBRT+) on Linux, http://i.imgur.com/Gd7hcSu.png.
There are some artifacts seemingly randomly placed across Europe, but it's the worst around Denmark, and it seems like most of the rivers are also affected to some degree. If you need more specific information I'm willing to help.

Looks like some shaders dont work as they should.
What GFX Card and Driver you are runnig CK2 on ?

Right, anyone on 32-bit Windows, could you try this installer? http://www.mediafire.com/download/ri86qdppyfinyv8/HIP.exe
It was compiled using 32-bit Python and CXfreeze, so it should hopefully work. If it does I'll reupload HIP.7z with that installer included.

"python33.dll was not designed to work for a 32 bit system" or something.
I guess you'll also need to upload/include a 32-bit python as well :p

(now I can see just how potentially wasteful it is for Microsoft to keep up windows XP support :rofl: )

I'm looking into compiling it as a 32-bit application. It is however not quite as simple as some make it out to be. Python doesn't have all that great compilation tools.

The instructions do specify "contents" ;) I'll emphasize it a bit more next version.
I'll make a few other edits to make things a bit clearer.

Yes that was my lightbulb moment, but to be fair it does contradict that in the readme

''4. Follow the following order for mod installation. "Copy" means copy/move the contents of the folder into the HIP folder, overwriting any conflicts:
1. If using ARKO armoiries, copy the "ARKOpack_Armoiries" folder'' (and so on with instructions to copy the other FOLDERS)

You just need to say ''copy the CONTENTS of the 'xxx' folder''

Anyway - got there in the end, although I dont seem to have central africa so i may be missing a few bits.

Mod compatibility table.
If the mod is compatible with every module you use, it should work.
If the mod is included in one of the modules you use, do not enable it.
If the mod is incompatible with one or more of the modules you use, it likely won't work.
Note that some of these mods will not work with one another, even if they both work with the HIP modules you use.
ModPBSWMHVIET EventsVIET ImmersionVIET TraitsARKO armoiriesARKO interfaceNBRT+
Additional Objectives 2.0YesYesIncluded
Ancient ReligionsYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
Better looking GarbsYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
ClearCombatYes
Council Equality modYesYesYesYes
Culturally Different CitiesYesYesYesIncludedYesYesYes
Culturally different province iconsYes
Cultures and Portraits RevampYesYesIncludedYes
Deus Meus et OmniaYes
Flavourful Titular TitlesYesNoYes
Family RelationsYes
High Kings, Consuls and other crazy thingsYesYesYesYes
High res mountain modYes
Jure uxurisYes
Kingdoms Abound Title GeneratorYes
Mazdayasna ZarathushtrishYesIncluded
Millennium: Europe 1000 ADYes
Missing CoAsYesYesYes
New Duel EngineIncludedYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
Old AgeIncludedYesYesIncludedYesYesYesYes
Painterly CK2YesNo
Portrait Realignment PackYesNo?Yes
Syren's NicknamesYes
Zulu InvasionYes
I've started on a mod compatibility table.
Any assistance filling it out, and adding more mods, would be highly appreciated.

nVidia GTX670 with the proprietary drivers. The drivers are the latest stable.

OK , thats fine of course.
Maybe one Texture file is broken , i would redownload HIP and reinstall, if the problem then is solved, perfect.
If not, can you post some more screens where this glitches are else ?

Awesome. This is like a CK2 Modding All-Stars.

I can't wait for VIET immersion to be compatible with SWMH. Frankly, I've always blamed my dislike of that map on the fact that I just haven't played enough on it.

I'm attempting to install PB, ARKO armoiries, ARKO interface, VIET events, and VIET immersion, but after installing VIET events I'm being told that VIET immersion can't be installed as I've enabled SWMH, when I'm certain that I haven't.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'd misread the instructions.