• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As the HRE was disintegrated in 1806 and no more HRE Emperor after 1805 historically, can I write a event to shut down the HRE election?

Well, the Emperor back then declared the HRE abolished in August 1806
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichsdeputationshauptschluss#Mediatization

However it is still debatable if he actually had the *right* to do so. The Emperor of the HRE was no absolute monarch who would be allowed to do such things on his own and the HRE had organs that had to be heard in far less drastic matters - IMO the Emperor overstepped his authority to prevent Napoleon from taking over the HRE.

In game terms where an Emperor stays Emperor as long as he ruled (or until his state is annexed) he would stay Emperor until the end of the game in 1820 (or until Austria is annexed) so there would be no further HRE election that would have to be prevented.

You could only write events that
1) remove provinces from the HRE
"command = { type = hre which = x value = yes / no }
Adds or removes province x as a part of the Holy Roman Empire"
This will remove the automatic military access the Emperor has there when at war and
2) remove electors from the HRE
"command = { type = elector which = aaa value = x }
Changes the number of votes for country aaa, 0 removes it as an elector."
to prevent the Emperor from receiving the gold and manpower from the electors removed.

The AGCEEP mod has some events removing provinces from the HRE if you want a template.

However that would be a question for the modding or event/scripting subforum.

Last edited:
Well, the Emperor back then declared the HRE abolished in August 1806
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichsdeputationshauptschluss#Mediatization

However it is still debatable if he actually had the *right* to do so. The Emperor of the HRE was no absolute monarch who would be allowed to do such things on his own and the HRE had organs that had to be heard in far less drastic matters - IMO the Emperor overstepped his authority to prevent Napoleon from taking over the HRE.

In game terms where an Emperor stays Emperor as long as he ruled (or until his state is annexed) he would stay Emperor until the end of the game in 1820 (or until Austria is annexed) so there would be no further HRE election that would have to be prevented.

You could only write events that
1) remove provinces from the HRE
"command = { type = hre which = x value = yes / no }
Adds or removes province x as a part of the Holy Roman Empire"
This will remove the automatic military access the Emperor has there when at war and
2) remove electors from the HRE
"command = { type = elector which = aaa value = x }
Changes the number of votes for country aaa, 0 removes it as an elector."
to prevent the Emperor from receiving the gold and manpower from the electors removed.

The AGCEEP mod has some events removing provinces from the HRE if you want a template.

However that would be a question for the modding or event/scripting subforum.

Thanks for your reply. However are there any script to competely disable the HRE emperor system ( that means no more emperor after the former emperor die or being annexed) in the ealier games ? (just like abolish HRE in EU3)

P.S. I have registered my FTG(steam version) but why don't I have this under my avatar? p029_1_02.jpg

Last edited:
No, it´s not possible to completely disable the HRE emperor system in an ongoing game.

You can either disable it completely in the files from the start of the game (e.g. as the Dawn of Kingdoms mod in it´s earliest scenario) or
you can remove provinces and electors from the empire by events - the gradual removal is the more historical approach as the HRE lost provinces (e.g. Netherlands, Switzerland, Reichsitalien) during the whole games timeframe.

However if the HRE exists in the game and an Emperor is elected (e.g. Francis II of Austria) then that Emperor will stay Emperor until either his country is annexed or that monarch dies. If you then remove all provinces from the HRE and all electors he will be practically powerless as an Emperor.

Click on "MYGAMES" above and check if the icon is only "hidden" and you have to move it manually to be displayed.

Last edited:
I wonder if there is something that could be done in making MUS the Empire. Some use of events giving it many electoral votes and an eternal monarch might do the trick.

But how do you kill off the current Emperor? If at some point in the game, e.g. 1806 an event fires that abolishes the Empire then Francis II - or whoever else became Emperor - is still Emperor. I only see that possible by killing/sleeping the monarch and having a 2nd monarch with the same name take over.

But as anyone could be Emperor in a grand campaign starting 1419 that´s nearly impossible.

Unless you mean to have MUS take over the Empire after the current Emperor dies - which in the 1806 case means that Francis II still stays Emperor until the end of the game.

So, how to do this? I'm modifying a early age mod.

You remove the
"hre = "
entry in the file /DB/religions/religions_special.txt to prevent a default emperor,
you set all entries of "papacy = yes" in religions.txt to no so noone could be elected emperor,
you remove the "hre = " entry in
the file /DB/map/provinces_special.txt so that no province belongs to the HRE.
and in /DB/countries.txt you make sure that all countries have elector = 0 so that noone has any votes to elect an emperor.

But how do you kill off the current Emperor? If at some point in the game, e.g. 1806 an event fires that abolishes the Empire then Francis II - or whoever else became Emperor - is still Emperor. I only see that possible by killing/sleeping the monarch and having a 2nd monarch with the same name take over.

But as anyone could be Emperor in a grand campaign starting 1419 that´s nearly impossible.

Unless you mean to have MUS take over the Empire after the current Emperor dies - which in the 1806 case means that Francis II still stays Emperor until the end of the game.

I think what you'd do is two-fold:
1) Have MUS take over after current Empire dies
2) Have alternate versions of monarchs likely to be emperor at the time (maybe just Austria and a couple other big states) - and then you could sleep current version and wake alternate version to trigger election which would go to MUS.

Though I agree, bit inelegant and could still fall afoul if some minor with long monarch was in charge at the time.