EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Okay, so even if the coastline appears discovered, I still need to send Explorer?

Err.. that one I can't understand! It appears fully revealed. Is there a clear path of revealed-TI between that coastal province and your nearest core?

Can you show more of a full map, so we can see the context around Benguela?

Also try saving and reloading. That screenshot is definitely weird..

@TheBloke: Do you know where such things can be suggested?

Just make a new thread in this main EU4 forum. Give it clear title, some background and good description of the changes required, the benefits, implications etc.

Fairly simple in your case, but the clearer it is the more likely you'll get responses. I like using bullet points and headers and stuff like that, personally :)

So I just ran into a problem. or a game mechanic I'm not familiar with. I was playing as Portugal and had several wars with Castile. In previous wars I can declare war with a fabricated claim or colonial cassus beli and still demand unrelated provinces. But in the last two wars only the provinces I have a claims shows up on the list during peace talks. Any idea what might be the cause of this?

You're in a coalition against them, so it's become a Coalition DOW (regardless of what CB you DOW'd with.)

In offensive coalition wars, you can only take provinces that you have a claim or core on.

Leave the coalition and DOW them again.

Okay, so even if the coastline appears discovered, I still need to send Explorer?
It's a bug that makes it so that if you are neighbouring a unsettled province, you NEED to have a neighbouring fully developped province to colonize it even if it's coastal and you have access to it otherwise. Funny thing is that you could probably settle further but not right next to you. This bug has been around since quite a long time.

It's a bug that makes it so that if you are neighbouring a unsettled province, you NEED to have a neighbouring fully developped province to colonize it even if it's coastal and you have access to it otherwise. Funny thing is that you could probably settle further but not right next to you. This bug has been around since quite a long time.

Can you explain further? I don't follow. You can't colonise uncolonised land that borders another one of your colonies? You certainly can when it borders a city/cored province.

Can you explain the difference between what RadRussian is seeing, and what I see below - where I am able to send a colonist to a colony that borders an existing colony, Damararaland, which is not cored/not a city. I could also send a colonist to Damaraland when it was bordering nothing.

And I could send a colonist to Whydah, which borders a cored City, Gold Coast. And finally I used Console remove_core to take the Core out of Gold Coast, and confirmed I could still send a Colonist to Whydah when it bordered a non-cored city.

Colonial Mapmode - Benguela borders existing colony (not city, not cored) Damaraland

0YzPc4U.png

nLKAyQD.png

Whydah borders normal cored province, Gold Coast. This also works fine if I remove_core on Gold Coast.

x4o77XC.png

This bug sees a province adjacent to a colony as if it was inland, not coastal. Say you have 2 coastal adjacent provinces within colonial range and you can send colonist to either of them but once you colonist arrives to one, the other province is no longer seen as coastal. I haven't tested it but that's my hypothesis based on my experience. Maybe it has something to do with colonizing on the same continent where my capital is.

This bug sees a province adjacent to a colony as if it was inland, not coastal. Say you have 2 coastal adjacent provinces within colonial range and you can send colonist to either of them but once you colonist arrives to one, the other province is no longer seen as coastal. I haven't tested it but that's my hypothesis based on my experience. Maybe it has something to do with colonizing on the same continent where my capital is.

See my post above yours - I tested that and it worked fine. I colonised Demarara, then I was able to send a colonist to neighbouring Benguela no problem.

Maybe there's some special case where that doesn't work? But I've not seen it or been able to re-create it, yet.

The game where you are experiencing it, is it Ironman? If not, could you share a save game? We should work out the exact cause and make a Bug Report for it. I'm happy to do the testing if you can share the save.

Do anyone know what is the condition of a stack wipe. I left a werstern army in a mountain province: 3 inf, 2 arty no leader; but they are wiped instanly with no fight when the Timurid army come: 27k inf, 18 k cavalry, 9 art.

Do anyone know what is the condition of a stack wipe. I left a werstern army in a mountain province: 3 inf, 2 arty no leader; but they are wiped instanly with no fight when the Timurid army come: 27k inf, 18 k cavalry, 9 art.

If your stack loses all morale before the end of the first Shock phase, they are wiped. Additionally, small stacks without a leader almost always wipe to larger stacks with a leader.

If you don't have shipbuilding researched, you cannot send colonists to provinces which don't border full cities of your own. Shipbuilding is Diplo tech 2 as I recall. Makes sense really.

10:1 battles result in instant wipes. They had 56k to your 5k, there was never any hope.

To expand on this: Is there any other way to return a province to a country or even my vassal that would increase our relationship? In order to vassalize Savoy as france I firs that to take Savoie and Nice to bring the vassalization cost below 100%, after I vassalize I'd like to return those provinces to save the AMP for coring...

To expand on this: Is there any other way to return a province to a country or even my vassal that would increase our relationship? In order to vassalize Savoy as france I firs that to take Savoie and Nice to bring the vassalization cost below 100%, after I vassalize I'd like to return those provinces to save the AMP for coring...

If you do Return Core in a peace deal, then that boosts the relationship.

So Switzerland holds some Savoyard cores. You DOW Switzerland, get high WS, then in the Peace you force them to Return Cores on some provinces, to Savoy.

Relations with Savoy will be boosted by +40 for Returned Core To Me - per province, with no maximum.

Note that there's also another modifier, Liberated Our Province, +25. But to get that I think it needs to be currently sieged by an active war enemy, then you siege it back for them in that war. So you need to be at war with an ally or vassal, and have the enemy siege one of that ally/vassal's provinces which you then siege back before the war ends. I don't think it comes from the Peace.

Finally there's +10, Gave Province In Peace; I'm pretty sure you don't get that as well as Returned Core, I think that's when you give a non-core province to an ally in peace.

Here's further details on all the "At war with" modifiers available: How to boost relations with subject: via war.

And here's a table that summarises them all: Summary of subject nation relations modifiers obtainable via war.

(Note that the modifiers listed are not unique to subject nations. But unlike many other relations modifiers, they do work with subject nations, and hence are of particular interest one when is looking for the +190 to integrate a heretic vassal/PU)

Last edited:
Just a note that my initial previous answer was wrong, so F5 refresh if you already read it! Returned Core gives a +40 relations boost with the nation you Return to.