• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MondoPotato

Captain
101 Badges
Oct 18, 2008
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Pax Quaeritur Bello
Cromwell's Republic

Hello and welcome to my third try at an AAR, and first in Europa Universalis! In this AAR, I'll be attempting to tell the story of England during the Civil War and history as it unfolds after. I'll be playing vanilla EUIV, starting from May 5th, 1646. This AAR will be in a historybook style for the most part. I'll be trying to keep things within the realm of plausibility, so don't expect any in-depth portrayal of how to conquer the globe. I won't always choose the best options, instead playing how I feel the ruler in question would act, so expect some catastrophic failures mixed in with spectacular victory. And last but not least, I hope you enjoy reading it!

Table of Contents:

Prelude
- Biographies of Cromwell and King Charles
- The First Civil War: A Prologue

Part 1 - The Birth of a Republic
- New Model Parliament
- Ag Teascadh an Mhuire Erin
- Failure to Communicate
- To Kill a King

Last edited:
kyh8.jpg

Excellent, cannot wait for the next update! Will you be working on your Hungarian CKII AAR?

The perks of running the library, of course, involve seeing when exciting new AARs pop up. This looks like no exception! :)

As much as I don't like Cromwell, this should be good. I assume you'll be basing it off the Civil War event chain (as a starting point, at least)?

The Second Republic I take it? :D

Always good to see an AAR with a startdate other than the default - personally, I've never been able to get into games starting after the Grand Campaign, not quite sure why. As much as I'd hate to actually live under the Lord Protector (all work and all pray makes Britain a dull country, not to mention the ugly state of that flag!) I look forward to seeing where you go with this. Oh, and try to be nicer to the Welsh and Irish this time, for Densley's sake. :)

So beautiful... good luck, and I'll be following!

Already so many subs. I've always been fascinated by the English Civil War, so looking forward to this. And quite an entertaining prelude, as well!

Excellent, cannot wait for the next update! Will you be working on your Hungarian CKII AAR?

Glad you'll be reading, and yes, of course I'll be continuing the CKII aar. I really enjoy putting that one together and I am in no way abandoning it. New pages will added to the Chronica between posts here!

Like the set up and interesting starting time. Never thought about a Cromwell inspired GB in EUIV

Yeah, you don't see too many AAR's past the Grand Campaign start date in general, save for the occasional American Revolution. I thought it would be a fun period to cover. Plus I seem to have a thing for AAR's involving tyrants and dictators.

The perks of running the library, of course, involve seeing when exciting new AARs pop up. This looks like no exception! :)

As much as I don't like Cromwell, this should be good. I assume you'll be basing it off the Civil War event chain (as a starting point, at least)?

Yeah, Cromwell's not exactly a great guy. He should make for some interesting AAR events though! I'll be following the First Civil War exactly as it happens in history, and I'll be taking the reigns from 1646 on (Second Civil War). I've played through the scenario a couple times and noticed the event chain for the Civil War is kinda lacking... but I can always add to it where I feel it's needed.

The Second Republic I take it? :D

Always good to see an AAR with a startdate other than the default - personally, I've never been able to get into games starting after the Grand Campaign, not quite sure why. As much as I'd hate to actually live under the Lord Protector (all work and all pray makes Britain a dull country, not to mention the ugly state of that flag!) I look forward to seeing where you go with this. Oh, and try to be nicer to the Welsh and Irish this time, for Densley's sake. :)

You know, I didn't really think about it in any similarity to the Republic until after I'd made that first post. As mentioned, I must have a thing for writing about tyrannical dictators! As for Cromwell being nice to the Welsh and Irish... I'll see what I can do. Old Ironsides is a jerk though.

So beautiful... good luck, and I'll be following!

Awesome, thanks!

Great, simply great, subbed and is anticipating the comming chapter!

There'll be some prelude and First Civil War history coming up soon!

Already so many subs. I've always been fascinated by the English Civil War, so looking forward to this. And quite an entertaining prelude, as well!

Yeah, the English Civil War really is an interesting subject. It definitely a profound affect on British history from that point forward. I thought it could use some AAR treatment. And hey, if my version of the Protectorate outlives the real-world counterpart, it should make for some interesting alternate history!

Yeah, you don't see too many AAR's past the Grand Campaign start date in general, save for the occasional American Revolution. I thought it would be a fun period to cover. Plus I seem to have a thing for AAR's involving tyrants and dictators.

And refreshing to see an AAR taking place past the GC start. Tyrants and Dictators make for interesting reads though, and interesting to study in history...always found Cromwell to be an interesting individual, and also found his distant relative Thomas Cromwell fairly interesting as well; then again I kind of have a weak spot for revolutionaries in history or leaders that are going against the grain of the status quo.

Nice background information for the story though, looking forward to the start of the Civil War.

Last edited:
I must admit that I'm somewhat disappointed that you neglected to include the immortal line, "I see the birds have flown" – though there is little else I can fault. Great presentation, as ever (if a bit awkward to read on an iPad,) and thoroughly immersive writing.

I await the war itself eagerly.

I'm interested to see how this war will take place in-game. The update is, as always, well-written. :) Also, did you know, Cromwell was Welsh?

And refreshing to see an AAR taking place past the GC start. Tyrants and Dictators make for interesting reads though, and interesting to study in history...always found Cromwell to be an interesting individual, and also found his distant relative Thomas Cromwell fairly interesting as well; then again I kind of have a weak spot for revolutionaries in history or leaders that are going against the grain of the status quo.

Nice background information for the story though, looking forward to the start of the Civil War.

Thank you! As mentioned before, the first portion of the civil war will be the real history. We'll be taking over just as the First Civil War ends and Cromwell takes over.

I must admit that I'm somewhat disappointed that you neglected to include the immortal line, "I see the birds have flown" – though there is little else I can fault. Great presentation, as ever (if a bit awkward to read on an iPad,) and thoroughly immersive writing.

I await the war itself eagerly.

I had it slotted to fit in at the end... but I removed it for some reason. I can't really remember why now, but it does seem a shame to have left it out! Oh well, I'll try to redeem myself in the last prologue post.

This is good, it will be exiting to see what the war brings!

Thanks!

I'm interested to see how this war will take place in-game. The update is, as always, well-written. :) Also, did you know, Cromwell was Welsh?

Hopefully it comes across in game somewhat as exciting as it did in real life. Because there is really no events or good way to simulate the First Civil War, I decided to start playing as of 1646 before the second. That one should be far more interesting to play in game. And yes, I did know Cromwell was Welsh (thanks Wikipedia!).

Great stuff, Mondo. Especially find of the map you slotted into the first half. Very crisply done.

I see a good body of troops in the Pale in the picture. Are they ready to commit various atrocities once the war is over? :p That said, the promise of a Second Civil War (and presumably later a third,) might set back such "ambitions"?

Looking forward to the next update.

Fine job. May I ask, why can you see the territory of both Ireland and Scotland despite not having any alliances and actually being at war with Ireland?