• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In that case, I will step down, and bide my time for Herr Gotha's Chancellorship. After his time, I will stand for chancellorship, but not a moment sooner. I endorse DDr Gotha. I wish you luck sir.

~Frederick Carile

Frankfurt, Republic of Germany - 20/12/1835
Candidature acceptance speech of Miguel de la Rosa Picard to the members of the UAI.

"Honorable gentlemen,

I have no words to express how honored I felt for being chosen to lead our party in the next elections and, if that is the will of the people of the Republic, the destiny of this our great nation.

It is my opinion that the next years will be crucial for the future of the Republic. We are in times of great changes, we have suffered too much and the worse of all, we are divided. The people of the Republic look to us and see a political class that do not feel the same than them, that is not part of them. They see a small party of extremist (the Alliance) that with their crazy politics have lead us to a weakness position that we had not seen since the times of the French attack over Nuremberg. They see more extremist in the other side of the table (the imperialist) that dream with declare the war to even the elfs and dwarfs of the fairy tales. They see a conservative party so moderate, so will to keep the status quo, that they would not be able to take a decision over the color of grass ((imagine what i really wanted to write :D)) or present a candidate to lead the Republic without trying to kill themselves. Could you imagine them leading us against the Scottish menace?

And then they look to us. The only party with clear ideas, the only that knows how to rise this nation again to what it always has been and must be, the leader of Europe and the world, a light of knowledge in the middle of a sea of uncertainty, a giant between dwarfs, a father who tries to educate his children. But they doubt. Why do they doubt? Because we failed them. Yes brothers, we failed them when we allowed the Alliance to lead us to weakness, we failed them when we did not react against our enemies offenses and we failed them when we worried more about the opinion of our rightist colleagues over economy instead of applying the free market that we know must rule over the Republic.

But I tell you one thing: the party is over. It is time to show our strength, it is time to industrialize this country, it is time to investigate the science fields that are opening in front of us and it is time to tell the world: "We are back and this time we are going to stay here. We are not ashamed of being strong, we are not ashamed of being rich and we are not ashamed of taking back what is ours". And believe me, no one will listen this message better than the damn Scottish.

But it is also time to tell our brothers of other parties that we are all part of the same great nation and as brother we are,so we must behave. This is the reason why, in case of being elected, I will ask members of other parties to enter in my cabinet. We will send a clear message to the world since the first day. And if God wish we must not lead this change, we will back to whoever the people chose, being loyals to this decision.

Deustschland über alles!!!

Miguel de la Rosa Picard
Stadtholder von Brussels and candidate of the UAI for the Chancellery"

Next it is a summary of my program in case of being elected for the Chancellery:

1. Start a heavy industrialization of Germany. As you all know, the main concern of our party is the economy as it is in this field where we must show to other parties and to the people why we must rule this great country. My plans are to instruct the Minister of Finance and the Minister of Interior to adequate taxes, tariffs and national focus to allow the entrepreneurs of this country to start opening factories of the main products that we will need in the future to rule over Europe.

2. Focus on science. We are entering in a new era where knowledge and technology will decide who is who in the international sphere and Germany must be the main power in this field as it is now in every other field. My intentions are to instruct the Minister of Education to start investigating those technologies that will improve the literacy level and technological production of our people. Once we get this the political situation will decide what field will be more important at that point to investigate.

3. Punishment of the UK. Those damn Scottish have betrayed us. They stabbed in our back in our worst moment and they think that they will have their's own way. Every good German citizen will agree with me that this is not going to happen so as soon as I would form my cabinet, I will give instruction to the Ministers of Defense and the Foreign Minister to analyze the situation and elaborate a plan to punish the UK and bring back the lands of our dear colleague Dafydd von Dwyfor to where they really pertain, the Republic.

4. Allow any loyal citizen of the Republic to become Chancellor. Our is a Republic of free citizens. Yes, we call it Germany, in honor to its roots and to the nation that, under the leadership of a God blessed family, unite us. But it is not formed only of Germans; there are Italians, Frenchs, Wallonians, Flemish, Dutchs, Danish, Polish and many more peoples under this banner and, if they can live in this Republic, if they can work, if they can DIE for this Republic, should not they be able to lead this Republic, if that´s the will of its people? So I will propose a constitutional amendment to allow any citizen of the Republic to be elected Chancellor even if he was born out of our borders.

I hope that you agree with these general lines and that you share with me, in case of being elected, your ideas for the future of our nation.
Danke

((Sorry to any player of other party for my hard words but given that we are in a political campaign I cannot appear in a public speech saying how I love you all, as you can guess ;)

The next is just in case of being choose and that the UAI wins the elections. My general idea is to try to recover Somerset (Plymouth) from the UK and if possible to take also part of Wales or Ireland. This is my very first interactive AAR and the position of Chancellor has in my opinion the risk of entering in conflict with others cabinet positions. My plan at this moment would be, in case of elected, to name ministers for each position that more or less agree with this general lines that I have described before so we can avoid conflict and they can decide the best way to get these objectives with the powers of their position.
About the ministers designations. I will use Avindian´s information to form the cabinet together with the party limits. My intention is to ask another parties for their candidates to the government once I give them the position that their parties will take. I will prioritize my party members, as it is the logic, but my idea is to try to make this selection from a story logical point of view, what means that I have some ideas about how to divide the positions. But first of all we must wait for the results of the elections

And I think that this is everything. Thank you all ))

Last edited:
It amazes me that Herr Picard claims to have the support of his party when barely a quarter of its members have made their voices heard. Are the Liberals that slothful that they cannot move themselves to show solidarity in the absence of a contest?

- H. von Sigmaringen, New Society Assemblyman

((Not cool, claiming you have "the support of 5 of the 8 members" without any actual proof of such a thing. I'd like to think that this game has a higher standard.))

((EDIT - so I don't double post.))
In a later speech...
In the interests of bringing our own leadership contest to a close, my faction and I will support the candidacy of von Mannerheim. If my arithmetic is correct, this means that approximately 55% of the total party supports his candidacy. And to those members of the opposition who have attempted to discretely contact me about my previous statements, I steadfastly maintain my position that political affairs should be conducted in public. If public voting is good enough for the nation, I see no reason why it shouldn't be good enough for the nation's parties.

Speaking to the New Society of Sigmaringen

((Remember folks, we aren't doing it this time but in the future you'll need to speak up pre-election for the quorum.))

Last edited:
Picard speaks the truth, he has my support.

((Internal dealings and all that))

Might I ask of my fellow Societyists what they felt was more favourable about H. von Mannerheim's campaign than my own?

~Florentin Willem Graf von Wächtersbach

((What I find funny is that, not only have I lost in emphatic fashion, I have lost to someone who previously (tepidly) endorsed my candidacy. Politics, eh? ;)))

((Fair enough about the requests :)

What about my question of the Chiefs of Army/Navy?

Other thing I just realize: the constitutional amendments can be done before forming government? I would like to erase the requirements of the Minister of Interior of being from the winner party. I do not see reason for it and with the proportional division between parties it blockades a lot the liberty to chose ministers))

You can appoint the Chief of Army/Chief of the Navy whenever you want (rather, the Minister of War can). The reasoning behind the Minister of Interior rule is to keep one party from running rough shod over the game and thus boring the other players. That's also the reason for the party balance guidelines. For this election cycle, you have to form the government first, so if you did get the amendment passed, it would go into effect on the next cycle.

I confirm official candidates for everything but the New Society -- Gotha for the Imperialists, Picard for the UAI, and Peymann for the Alliance.

EDIT: One additional decision we get at game start with NNM --

oywa.jpg

Die Wacht am Rhein is the in-game name. We can also release vassals (as in, end their vassal status) in NNM -- that's the other big difference.

Last edited:
Assemblyman Sigmaringen, I thank you for your concern with the way our party is run, but look to your own party please. It appears that of the parties of this Republic it is only your own that still has not even nominated a candidate for this coming election. The members of the UAI have discussed amongst ourselves on who will be nominated for the position of Chancellor in this coming election of 1836. We have discussed it and Stadtholder Picard has received the majority vote and so is our candidate.

Though only a few of us have spoke of who we voted on in this more public forum, it is because that is their choosing. You say we are "slothful" when in fact we are simply more organized it appears. We had made our decision prior to coming to this assembly of the two houses. So do not take our quietness for laziness. We simply do not need to scream like a pack of banshees to come to a decision.

Do not take what I say as an attack on you, Mr. Sigmaringen. I have nothing but respect for you. My own great grandfather, Bernhard Unger who assisted in writing the very Constitution which founded this great Republic, received similar injuries during the Sienz Campaign of 1734. You have served this nation honorably as both a soldier and politician. Even my own younger brother, Friedrich, spoke of how you saved his life during the Nationalist Uprisings of 1811. The following year, he went so far as to name his newborn son after you. I simply wished to inform you of how exactly he was able to make such claims.

-Maximillian Unger, Stadtholder of Mantua

((There is no longer a quorum as this post says. Also even then that is in regards to votes for policy changes and things of that nature and not the party nominations of Chancellors. Unless that is how your party wishes for it to be chosen. Our own decided to speak amongst ourselves via mass PMs and once varetta had a majority vote we were comfortable with him stating in this thread that he was our candidate.))

Last edited:
I can confirm a perfectly functional save -- I'm going to run a few tests to make sure the election works properly, but as soon as I have confirmation of the New Society candidate, I'll go ahead and run the election so we can get started properly!

I see little use in delaying proceedings by continuing in vain to run against Herr von Mannerheim. I therefore renounce my candidacy.

~Florentin Willem Graf von Wächtersbach, Statthalter von Cassel, Societyist

It amazes me that Herr Picard claims to have the support of his party when barely a quarter of its members have made their voices heard. Are the Liberals that slothful that they cannot move themselves to show solidarity in the absence of a contest?

((Not cool, claiming you have "the support of 5 of the 8 members" without any actual proof of such a thing. I'd like to think that this game has a higher standard.))

Dear von Sigmaringen,

We all in these house knew of the problems in your party to decide anything, even the least important things like your candidate for the Chancellery; but what we did not know until now was that you also disagree with mathematics. :eek:o

Maybe in the small town where you were born and raise "barely a quarter" is the same than more than a sixty per cent. If that is the case, I pray God not to allow you to become our Minister of Finance or soon we will be organizing parties to celebrate the ruin of our economy.

I strongly recommend you and your party to learn from the honorable men who fill the ranks the UAI the way of gentlemen to chose a candidate for an honorable position like the Chancellery is, instead of screaming in public your candidate as if we were in a fair auctioning a pig.

Miguel de la Rosa Picard
Stadtholder von Brussels and candidate of the UAI for the Chancellery

((My party colleagues already have explained you the situation so I will not insist on the subject. Only one advice, if you want to listen: next time you consider that some one has done something incorrect or dishonest you should ask him first by PM so you can avoid being so wrong like you have been this time. By other way, if your character wants to do the same it is fine; to be honest it is even better and logical from a story point of view.
But I give you a point: UAI members, I think that next time we should write here our vote for candidature at least once we have taken the decission behind the scene. It is fair with other players and will avoid situations like this one :) ))

Last edited:
Assemblyman Sigmaringen, I thank you for your concern with the way our party is run, but look to your own party please. It appears that of the parties of this Republic it is only your own that still has not even nominated a candidate for this coming election.
While there were at the time only two factions left to officially speak up, the only way for Herr von Mannerheim to lose would have been if someone was to renounce their support.
You say we are "slothful" when in fact we are simply more organized it appears. We had made our decision prior to coming to this assembly of the two houses. So do not take our quietness for laziness. We simply do not need to scream like a pack of banshees to come to a decision.
I do not know what debates you are used to that involve banshee screaming but Conservative debates tend to be sedate and, quite frankly, ponderous. Slothfulness takes many forms. It is not just idleness but also includes ignoring one's job, say being a representative on the public level, or not using one's talents, such as a gift for public oratory or a pugnaciousness for public debate and discourse.
Do not take what I say as an attack on you, Mr. Sigmaringen. I have nothing but respect for you. My own great grandfather, Bernhard Unger who assisted in writing the very Constitution which founded this great Republic, received similar injuries during the Sienz Campaign of 1734. You have served this nation honorably as both a soldier and politician. Even my own younger brother, Friedrich, spoke of how you saved his life during the Nationalist Uprisings of 1811. The following year, he went so far as to name his newborn son after you. I simply wished to inform you of how exactly he was able to make such claims.
Yes, I remember Friedrich. It is a shame I lost contact with him during my convalescence. It warms my heart to hear this news. Please convey to him my congratulations.
((There is no longer a quorum as this post says. Also even then that is in regards to votes for policy changes and things of that nature and not the party nominations of Chancellors. Unless that is how your party wishes for it to be chosen. Our own decided to speak amongst ourselves via mass PMs and once varetta had a majority vote we were comfortable with him stating in this thread that he was our candidate.))
((Ack, I forgot that somehow. I was mainly protesting claiming X out of Y rather than the secrecy of the process. I can see a situation where less trustworthy players could claim the private support of absent players and there'd be no way to prove it. I tend to see demons lurking in empty shadows.
On another note, try not to come up with anecdotes directly involving another Player Character. To use a poor analogy, it's like if I was making a pizza and then someone comes along and dumps a load of anchovies on it. It might still be a good pizza but it's not entirely mine, and the taste is altered even if the anchovies are eventually removed.))

Dear von Sigmaringen,
We all in these house knew of the problems in your party to decide anything, even the least important things like your candidate for the Chancellery; but what we did not know until know was that you also disagree with mathematics. :eek:o
Maybe in the small town where you were born and raise "barely a quarter" is the same than more than a sixty per cent. If that is the case, I pray God not to allow you to become our Minister of Finance or soon we will be organizing parties to celebrate the ruin of our economy.
Herr Picard,
As of your public declaration of private support, only Herr Defarge and yourself had publicly supported your candidacy. Even the King of Timbuktu knows that there are eight distinct factions within the UAI. Without knowledge of your secret collusion, an educated man could be forgiven for assuming that one quarter was the extent of your true support.
I strongly recommend you and your party to learn from the honorable men who fill the ranks the UAI the way of gentlemen to chose a candidate for an honorable position like the Chancellery is, instead of crying in public your candidate like if we were in a fair auctioning a pig.
At least a pig auction is more verifiable than backroom dealings. And we know who paid what for the pig.
((My party colleagues already have explained you the situation so I will not insist on the subject. Only one advice, if you want to listen: next time you consider that some one has done something incorrect or dishonest you should ask him first by PM so you can avoid being so wrong like you have been this time. By other way, if your character wants to do the same it is fine; to be honest it is even better and logical from a story point of view.
But I give you a point: UAI members, I think that next time we should write here our vote for candidature at least once we have taken the decission behind the scene. It is fair with other players and will avoid situations like this one :) ))
((To be honest, it all hinged on you claiming OOC more votes than were visible and the above-mentioned possibility of abusing the system. One LIB player hasn't posted in five days and another since this thread started, hence my skullduggery detector started going off. I'm used to playing with distrustful players so, again, I see demons hiding in shadows and the quickest way [IMO] to get a resolution was to discuss the matter publicly.))

A concern has been raised that the vibrant discussion and debate within the New Society has left outsiders confused as to the true disposition of opinion within the party. I propose that a Whip be informally appointed to ensure that our members deal with active issues and to publicise the stances of the party.

In a public letter responding to various criticism of his recent outbursts.

I see little use in delaying proceedings by continuing in vain to run against Herr von Mannerheim. I therefore renounce my candidacy.

~Florentin Willem Graf von Wächtersbach, Statthalter von Cassel, Societyist

Florentin,

Thank you for your campaign, and all you do for Germany. It does mean something.

Signed,
Friedrich von Mannerheim

If I am correct, that makes Mannerheim the New Society candidate?

((EDIT - so I don't double post.))
In a later speech...
In the interests of bringing our own leadership contest to a close, my faction and I will support the candidacy of von Mannerheim. If my arithmetic is correct, this means that approximately 55% of the total party supports his candidacy. And to those members of the opposition who have attempted to discretely contact me about my previous statements, I steadfastly maintain my position that political affairs should be conducted in public. If public voting is good enough for the nation, I see no reason why it shouldn't be good enough for the nation's parties.

Speaking to the New Society of Sigmaringen

((Remember folks, we aren't doing it this time but in the future you'll need to speak up pre-election for the quorum.))

Thank you very much, Assemblyman von Sigmaringen for your support.
I'm glad to know that the New Society has such a high faith in me for the future. I shan't disappoint, I promise you.

Signed,
Friedrich von Mannerheim

If I am correct, that makes Mannerheim the New Society candidate?
Mannerheim has the current support of Gospod, de Spinoza, himself, myself, and von Bern. With 5 out of 9 possible votes and with the other candidate pulling out, that makes von Mannerheim the New Society candidate for the Chancellorship.

Discussing matters with a friend on the electoral board.

The Election of 1836

By any measure, the election of 1836 was one of the most lopsided in the history of the Republic. Up until the day before the election, every street corner was filled with rumors of backroom deals. The first candidate announced, Joachim Peymann of the Alliance, was met with little notice. There were still too many Germans who neither liked nor trusted the Alliance, and a victory in their own right seemed extremely unlikely. He was among the least radical members of the Alliance, but nobody gave him much of a chance in the election.

The second candidate announced was the upstart Miguel de la Rosa Picard of the UAI. The selection sent ripples throughout the Assembly and Conclave, as it was the first time in years that somebody without the name Unger or Asch had led the party. One of the few outspoken militarists in the party, his election was extremely controversial, as there was no open debate in the Conclave or Assembly. He was simply announced as the candidate, a decision which infuriated many members of the New Society and the Imperialists, notably Hugo von Sigmaringen of the Assembly, a member of the New Society, who loudly proclaimed electoral fraud. No less than Maximillian Unger himself responded to Sigmaringen’s claims.

While the New Society and UAI attacked one another, Wolfram Siegfried Gotha (PhD PhD) of the Imperialists earned his own party’s nomination – at which point he immediately demanded the installation of Konrad von Hohenzollern on the throne as Kaiser. Even Konrad himself paled at such a demand, but a sizable portion of the Assembly either looked on in tacit approval or actively applauded. The New Society was represented by the elder statesman of the Conclave, Friedrich von Mannerheim. Easily the most conciliatory candidate, he was widely respected and most observers predicted a coalition between the New Society and the Imperialists, seeing Friedrich von Mannerheim as Chancellor.

That didn’t happen, as the returns from the Conclave’s election showed.

i4j0.jpg

The powerful, uncompromising presence of DDr. Gotha mobilized support for his own party – although it was still the smallest in the Conclave, he nonetheless had earned a spot in the Cabinet, many speculated, and even if he didn’t, he would ensure that the Imperialists would be heard. As if to prove his point, Egypt declared war on Tripoli, while Hungary nervously heard reports of Polish armies mobilizing under the guise of “maneuvers”.

4y12.jpg

The next day’s elections – for the Assembly – would determine who would hold the Chancellery. Just before the election, an obscure African Empire reported annexing a smaller African nation, a seemingly minor note.

mhxq.jpg

Yet that annexation started to raise awareness of how violent the world was becoming. People reacted in one of two ways – they either turned to DDr. Gotha or they turned to Assemblyman Peymann’s Alliance. The country of Danzig, worried about German claims on their land, sent a very handsome sword to Konrad von Hohenzollern, hoping to sway the opinion of the man they saw as the most influential in the country. Instead, it backfired. “The Danzig Debacle”, as it was called, turned an honest mistake into a fiery rejection of all principles of monarchism. The result was a landslide for the UAI, who swept Chancellor Picard into office with over 50% of the vote.

anyr.jpg

The Republic – and the world – waited anxiously for him to deliver his first speech.

All right, let’s get this show on the road!

There are, at present, two positions in the Assembly up for grabs – the Foreign Ministry and the Ministry of War. By party balance guidelines, one should go to the UAI and one to either the Alliance or the New Society. In the Conclave, the UAI gets the Ministry of the Interior. The New Society is guaranteed one of the other two slots (Finance or Education). The third slot can go to any party except the Alliance. As time progresses and we add more offices, or when results are less decisive, we should have more participation, I’m thinking, by the different parties. At the very least, we’ll have more parties.

Here are the votes controlled by each member, assuming everybody votes:

The Conclave
Since the A-L ideology can’t get any seats in the upper house until the ideology is “unlocked”, the Alliance will get a single vote, which means I’m going to round down for the New Society ((I flipped a coin)).

Alliance: 1 vote
UAI: 50 total votes, or 12.5 votes per member
New Society: 38 total votes, or 9.5 votes er member
Imperialists: 11 total votes, 5.5 votes per member.

The Assembly ((Here, I rounded down for the UAI so as to give the Imperialists all the seats they’re entitled to.))

Alliance: 105 votes, or 52.5 votes per member
UAI: 255 votes, or 63.75 votes per member
New Society: 90 votes, or 18 votes per member
Imperialists: 50 votes, 8 and 1/3 votes per member.

The next step is for varetta to form his government!

Last edited:
Mannerheim has the current support of Gospod, de Spinoza, himself, myself, and von Bern. With 5 out of 9 possible votes and with the other candidate pulling out, that makes von Mannerheim the New Society candidate for the Chancellorship.

Discussing matters with a friend on the electoral board.

((You know things are bad for you when you're simply referred to as "the other candidiate". :p))

The republic is in the best place it could possibly be with Herr Picard as chancellor. I am regretful that I didn't announce my support for him sooner.

((Just read through like 3 pages. I would of joined in earlier but I've been swamped by Christmas things.))