Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise Developer Diary 7: Colonial Diplomacy

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Regina

Lt. General
5 Badges
Jan 29, 2008
www.paradoxdevelopmentstudio.com
  • Majesty 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
Besuchov: Hello again! It’s busy here at the Paradox tower with Christmas coming and all. One EU4 expansion being finished up and lots of very secret stuff still has to be wrapped up. For this reason, this dev diary is going to be a little bit shorter than the previous ones. But at the very least I’m going to give you a little insight into the world of colonial diplomacy. Last week I told you about colonial nations and how they are formed, but how do they operate? Well, they are very much like a free nation except they have to pay tariffs to their overlord, as well as providing half of their trade power to their overlord (there are some other benefits to having colonial nations, but these are a in a bit of a flux as we balance it as we play more). They are a bit like vassals actually, except for the trade power. However, they are freer than vassals and have their own diplomatic rules.

Colonial nations cannot declare war on regular countries and if regular countries declare war on them they get protected by their overlord. However, they can declare war on native states and on other colonies. If they do so, colonial overlords on either side will not get called in automatically. Naturally, their overlord can keep an eye on the war and if it does not like the way things are going, the overlord can decide to enforce peace on whoever the colony is fighting. If the enemy accepts, the war will end, but if the enemy refuses then the overlord gets called into the war.

Of course, if the enemy in this war is a colony, then its colonial overlord will get called in as well. The cool thing is that you can see a colony starting its own little war of conquest, finding out it is in over its head, then the overlord steps in and that triggers another escalation, and, before you know it, the small colonial war that appeared to be of little consequence has escalated into a global conflict. Of course, colonial nations cannot ally with any nations other than native states.

That’s all I have time for today.

If you have any questions, please ask them in the thread and I’ll see if I can answer some of them during the weekend!

Cheers from Besuchov :)

Edit: Ofc I can't leave you without this week's picture.
eu4_11.jpg

ps. and you might already have seen this,
but here is Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise Video dev diary - Native Americans:
[video=youtube;TK2KLKw1fYk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK2KLKw1fYk[/video]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK2KLKw1fYk

Last edited:
This dev diary feels so barren and dry of information... but the video yesterday makes up for it.

Sounds interesting, though I still think I'll prefer just putting 4 colonies per zone and not bothering with them.

In that case, why would you even bother colonizing? All the Monarch Points are better spent at home, not to mention you won't need to deal with oversea wars.

Can you stop your colonial nation from going to war (or tell it to just peace out?). Not sure if I want my colonies starting wars that bring in neighbours (& their allies) I don't want to fight.

Sounds interesting, though I still think I'll prefer just putting 4 colonies per zone and not bothering with them.

You won't, it seems. I raised this last week and Gars said "there's no point, they won't provide you any income."

I'm a little disappointed, because it means it's all or nothing with Colonial nations. In the new world, one can't decide to mix old and new mechanics. And it's less moddable, I was hoping to increase the auto breakaway point from 5 then implement a decision allowing a player to decide when to let breakaway, with increasing revolt risk and other penalties if he waits too long. But seems there will be little point in doing that.

You won't, it seems. I raised this last week and Gars said "there's no point, they won't provide you any income."
I think what Gars meant was that they provide you with the same income as of 1.3.2 but that that income, compared to what you can squeeze out of a full-fledged colony with the new tariff system will be much greater than what you can take out of 3-4 provinces with the old system.

I'm curious what the best way to expand a colony across colonial regions might be; I'd like to have one massive revolter after it breaks away.

At the moment, the best I can think of, as the mother country, is to colonize contiguous provinces in other regions and, before you get to the limit, sell them to your colonial subject, giving them footholds all around.

i'm really liking the whole colonial mechanic. i know this is just for the americas this time around, but could it also be (patched before the next expansion afterward? :)) implemented for other colonial holdings? creating new south wales seems to be the same kind of idea as this, although i forget if it meets the minimum threshold for provinces creating a colonial nation. this is a much more interesting mechanic than great swaths of land which you just have a few stacks of like 15 on auto suppress waiting for rebels to pop up, as what normally happens for me late game in the americas if i play with colonies in mind (or even if i don't and somehow PU spain, portugal, and england o_O).

i felt it weird when i would get events about how they are unhappy with taxes or whatever and so they got cores on the american colonies... seemed just kind of forced in there because that's what happened in real life. could decisions be made so you can lower tariffs or something that will cause your colonies to love you even more so they won't try to break free? i'm actually envisioning something more like the government interface from victoria II.... or even crown law interface from crusader kings.... implementing this or that reform should be an option, and so should be an option to undo it (frankly i think a lot if not all national decisions should be undoable, obviously with costs involved...)