• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just took the "The Táin" (admittedly thats quite old compared to modern historical science) in my hand and in Notes on the Text it states that:

That's not generally true outside the earlier period. There is nothing in the Táin which indicates Alba refers to Britain as a whole. In fact, some information indicates the opposite:

For if it were he who had come, armies and hosts and the pick of the men of Ireland (Ulster)who are with him would have come too, and even though the men of Ireland and the men of Scotland, the Britons and the Saxons were opposed to him in one place and one meeting and one muster, in one camp and on one hill, he would give them all battle, it is he who would win victory and it is not he who would be routed’

The writer here clearly distinguishes between the men of Scotland (Alba), and the Britons and the Saxons. If Alba had meant Britain here, then there would be no reason to mention the Britons and the Saxons as they would be included.

I'm not trying to argue that Alba never meant Britain (it definitely never meant Ireland or the Islands as a whole), but it was an anachronistic term for the 9th century, and certainly for the 11th onwards.

There seems to be no answer for certain. As far as i remember on a travel overseas to some witches in Wales they said to go to Alba as well.
Not sure if it was a travel by Cuchulainn or some one else, but part of the stories surrounding it.

That would be an interesting reference, if you have it handy.

That's not generally true outside the earlier period. There is nothing in the Táin which indicates Alba refers to Britain as a whole. In fact, some information indicates the opposite:......

The writer here clearly distinguishes between the men of Scotland (Alba), and the Britons and the Saxons. If Alba had meant Britain here, then there would be no reason to mention the Britons and the Saxons as they would be included.
I'm not trying to argue that Alba never meant Britain (it definitely never meant Ireland or the Islands as a whole), but it was an anachronistic term for the 9th century, and certainly for the 11th onwards.

I'm not understanding your example, as it doesnt mention 'Alba', only 'Scotland' and i wonder what the original states (translation problem issue), but nevertheless, as you state probably correctly, the name might not fit the timeframe.
The differentiations mentioned could be based on tribal affiliations rather than geographical, but it's a good point.
(edit: at that point the Kingdom of Alba existed, so maybe that's why)
I have just quoted what i found in the back of it, while that part refers to "The Exile of the Sons of Uisliu". Having read that tough, it probably refers to Scotland. (Meh, seems its 1968 first edition). Hmm...
The better sources would be the time of Brian Boru or the Norman Invasion. Got a book there, but i doubt it will be helpfull in this regard.

That would be an interesting reference, if you have it handy.

Man, got the old analogue paper edition and it's quite a while since i read it. No search engine handy. :mellow:
Hmm, thinking about it........might have even mixed it up with a story in the Lady Gregorys' Irish Mythology and that is not the best historical source.
Ahh wth,....i'll have a look anyway.:happy:

edit: Still haven't found it, but i wonder how it'd be an interesting reference, when the stories originate at best from the 8th century and some probably pre-roman even.
Maybe i got us offtrack actually, because neither of those are really good historcial sources.
Though.....the originals were in part written in the 12th-14th century.

edit2: In short, don't have it handy.

"Evil Albion" or "Grand Hibernia" sounds fine to me.

:cool:

Last edited:
We could not get the patch through QA today, but I've updated the beta patch with the last few fixes. Fingers crossed, we'll release this version on Monday.

We could not get the patch through QA today, but I've updated the beta patch with the last few fixes. Fingers crossed, we'll release this version on Monday.

It is what is is.

Any news on the bug with the Crusades, where the loser would keep his land?

Thanks for the update, you guys are the best..

I was hoping to start a new game with this patch... but I understand :)

Quick Question: If I start a new game in Ironman this weekend, will I be able to continue it once this patch is released on Monday or will it break my Ironman save?

Regarding the renaming of Britannia to Alba:
Regardless of the historical/linguistic/cultural accuracy, having a kingdom with the same name as the empire it's contained in could potentially get a bit confusing. "Douchebag McClaimant for Alba" factions come to mind. So a little bit of difference (sorta like Italy vs. Italia, maybe?) would be welcome.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.
Code:
e_britannia = {
	color={ 172 22 22 }
	color2={ 255 255 255 }
	capital = 32 # Middlesex

welsh = Prydain
	irish = Alba
	scottish = Alba
	breton = Prydain

- i wonder about reason of this change:
Code:
e_russia = {
	color={ 147 164 104 }
	color2={ 255 255 255 }
	capital = 547 # Kiev

finnish = Suomi
	lappish = Suomi
	ugricbaltic = Suomi
	komi = Suomi
	samoyed = Suomi
	mordvin = Suomi
- i can understand why would super finns call this area Suomi after hypothetical conquest, but why sami, komi, mordva, samoyeds or estonians would call it like that i dont understand.... :huh:

Quick Question: If I start a new game in Ironman this weekend, will I be able to continue it once this patch is released on Monday or will it break my Ironman save?
FWIW I started an Ironman game the day the game updated to 2.0 and SOA was released, and it's still going despite being patched to both official (2.0.1) and then beta (2.0.2 and 2.0.2.1). There's been some weirdness, like the in all of the vassal city and church holdings in my demesne losing the buildings my ruler personally paid for with the initial beta, but my de Barcelona Hispania is still chugging along quite well, and I was still earning achievements as of yesterday morning.

Thanks for the update.
Better that way.

Thanks for the update, you guys are the best..

I was hoping to start a new game with this patch... but I understand :)

You will be able to keep playing.

Somehow I like it more this way. It gives hpope for more fixes this month, rather than late January.

I'm not understanding your example, as it doesnt mention 'Alba', only 'Scotland' and i wonder what the original states (translation problem issue), but nevertheless, as you state probably correctly, the name might not fit the timeframe.

The quote is:

Dáig dámbad ésin tísad and, ticfaitis slúaig & sochaide & forgla fer nHérend filet maróen ris, & giada betis fora chind i n-óenbaile & n-óendáil & i n-óentochim & i n-óenlongphurt & i n-óentulaig fir Hérend & Alban, Bretain & Saxain, cath dobérad dóib, reme no maissed & ní fair no raínfithé.’

The differentiations mentioned could be based on tribal affiliations rather than geographical, but it's a good point.

I don't believe so, it's far to neatly arranged for that, and it would completely exclude the Gaels of Scotland.

(edit: at that point the Kingdom of Alba existed, so maybe that's why)

It's slightly more complicated than that.

I have just quoted what i found in the back of it, while that part refers to "The Exile of the Sons of Uisliu". Having read that tough, it probably refers to Scotland. (Meh, seems its 1968 first edition). Hmm...
The better sources would be the time of Brian Boru or the Norman Invasion. Got a book there, but i doubt it will be helpfull in this regard.

The annals refer to the Mormaer of Scotland fighting in the battle of Clontarf. There is no doubt that Alba refers to something more specific in that period than Scotland as a whole. But if you accept it for the Ulster texts, then you can hardly expect they reverted to the earlier usage at a later period.

edit: Still haven't found it, but i wonder how it'd be an interesting reference, when the stories originate at best from the 8th century and some probably pre-roman even.
Maybe i got us offtrack actually, because neither of those are really good historcial sources.
Though.....the originals were in part written in the 12th-14th century.

Irish texts are quite complicated but we can date them linguistically. The spelling of alba in each would be interesting. The use of Alba is debatable, and its assignment to the entirety of Britain is based primarily on its etymological origin. Which isn't an invalid argument per se. That said, a reference to going to Alba when going to Wales is meant would be quite significant. That said, a strong evidence for knowledge of the interior of Wales for the period, would also be significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.