Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise dev diary 6: Colonial nations

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd still like an option to integrate colonies, but not an easy one. Maybe as part of the expansion national ideas, or even a certain level of diplomacy tech.

Yes something like when the British Crown assumed direct control of the Indias instead of delegating it to the EIC.

But that kinda out of EU4's scope.

Will provinces change their names if I colonize them with a certain country with this expansion or will I have to keep using the mod? (this really seems like something that should be included in the game anyway).

No, the colonies don't have flag files, they are just a combination of the mother country and the region color. The post-colonial states they can later form, like USA, Peru, Mexico, Canada etc. of course have their historical flags just like before.

Any word on how moddable these generated flags will be? For example, if we want to have just the cantons of the flags be from the mother country, rather than the full hoist of it, will that be possible?

Beyond that, will we be able to tweak the scope of the mother country's flag? In the canton-only example, it would make sense to use the entirety of the mother country's flag, rather than just the hoist of it (think of the Union Jack, in its entirety, in the canton of various colonial flags, rather than just the corresponding quarter).

Regarding the assigned color of any given region, will that also be moddable? Even so far as to make, perhaps, something more complex than just a color? Say, rather than have the Thirteen Colonies with a solid Red fly, it could be a striped white and red?

So without the DLC colonization of the new world is the same like vanila and everywhere else?

That would be a shame, I was so looking forward to the patch providing some better colonisation dynamics. I dont want to have to buy the natives expansion just for extra colonisation mechanics and I would not be prepared to do that if its expensive (and lets face it, it will be). That would be most annoying because colonisation is by far the worst part of the vanilla game. It needs to be improved in a patch, not DLC which should be specific and non-essential.

If it isnt in the patch I will most probably just stop playing the game, and as I've only got 70 hours out of it this will most likely be the last ever Paradox game I buy because I am getting a little bit frustrated by them missing the mark. The combat is bad enough but the colonisation absolutely stinks, its just pointless repetition at the moment, I hate it.

That would be a shame I was looking forward to the patch providing better colonisation dynamics. I dont want to have to buy the natives expansion just for the extra colonisation mechanics and I dont think I would be prepared to do that if its expensive (and lets face it it will be). That would be most annoying, especially as its the worst part of the vanilla game so it should be improved in a free patch. If it isnt in the patch I will most probably just stop playing the game.

Well, this is an expansion... That's how it's been working since Victoria first received an expansion...

No, the colonies don't have flag files, they are just a combination of the mother country and the region color.
You've set it up so the new colony first checks to see if there's a historical flavour name, like the Thirteen Colonies, and uses that; if not it defaults to the generic $Country-adjective + $Region-name, yes?

So why not do the same for flags? Use the historical colony flag if there is one, otherwise default to the procedurally generated country+region flag?

Also, a few questions:

1. What happens if I have a colony dependency in a region already, and I send my colonist agent to an empty province in that region? Does the new colony automatically join the dependency as soon as it reaches 1000 population?

2. Will dependencies prioritise expansion within their own region, or will they colonise any province in range?

3. If I have two colonial dependencies in adjacent regions, will they try to expand into each other's territory, or will they respect the region border? Will there be a system to transfer provinces from one dependency to another - either automatic or under player control - or will we potentially get very tangled borders?

4. As the motherland, can I still spend my own money and monarch points to improve provinces in my dependencies?

If not, has the game been rebalanced to account for the fact that nations which normally colonise the Americas heavily will have a lot more money and monarch points spare now than they would pre-DLC, since they have far fewer provinces to improve?

That would be a shame, I was so looking forward to the patch providing some better colonisation dynamics. I dont want to have to buy the natives expansion just for extra colonisation mechanics and I would not be prepared to do that if its expensive (and lets face it, it will be). That would be most annoying because colonisation is by far the worst part of the vanilla game. It needs to be improved in a patch, not DLC which should be specific and non-essential.

If it isnt in the patch I will most probably just stop playing the game, and as I've only got 70 hours out of it this will most likely be the last ever Paradox game I buy because I am getting a little bit frustrated by them missing the mark. The combat is bad enough but the colonisation absolutely stinks, its just pointless repetition at the moment, I hate it.

1. DLC funds further development of the game. Implication: no DLC, no further development of the game. Paradox does put more than most in their patches, but first sentence still applies.
2. You are not the first special snowflake to say what you said. Sadly, you won't be the last.

Hopefully Portugal can flee to it's colonies via event.

Any word on how moddable these generated flags will be? For example, if we want to have just the cantons of the flags be from the mother country, rather than the full hoist of it, will that be possible?

Beyond that, will we be able to tweak the scope of the mother country's flag? In the canton-only example, it would make sense to use the entirety of the mother country's flag, rather than just the hoist of it (think of the Union Jack, in its entirety, in the canton of various colonial flags, rather than just the corresponding quarter).

Regarding the assigned color of any given region, will that also be moddable? Even so far as to make, perhaps, something more complex than just a color? Say, rather than have the Thirteen Colonies with a solid Red fly, it could be a striped white and red?

At the moment it isn't moddable at all, other than changing the color of the colonial regions.

1. What happens if I have a colony dependency in a region already, and I send my colonist agent to an empty province in that region? Does the new colony automatically join the dependency as soon as it reaches 1000 population?

Yes.

2. Will dependencies prioritise expansion within their own region, or will they colonise any province in range?

They will prefer their own region, and there will be some rules to make expanding outside it somewhat restricted.

3. If I have two colonial dependencies in adjacent regions, will they try to expand into each other's territory, or will they respect the region border? Will there be a system to transfer provinces from one dependency to another - either automatic or under player control - or will we potentially get very tangled borders?

They can expand into each others colonial regions, but not each others territory (although there are some events for such conflict). No system for transfering provinces.

4. As the motherland, can I still spend my own money and monarch points to improve provinces in my dependencies?

No.

As the motherland, will I be competing with my colonial subjects for trade? Will they be skimming some of the profit or will they help me transfer trade back home?

No, the colonies don't have flag files, they are just a combination of the mother country and the region color. The post-colonial states they can later form, like USA, Peru, Mexico, Canada etc. of course have their historical flags just like before.
How's that supposed to work if there's both an East Frisian America and a Ragusan America, or some such? Only one can turn into USA and the other will forever be a colonial state?