Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise dev diary 6: Colonial nations

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What, are you afraid that Egypt might end up with a governor? Or perhaps Tunis?
Very precisely Egypt. You only have to take three provinces (Dumyat+Sinai, Gaza+Sinai, or Gaza+Negev, plus one side of the Bab-el-Mandeb) prevent the Ottomans having a land connection to Egypt.

I am not sure if this has been discussed somewhere already, but by the looks of it this new system will have a very interesting impact on European politics and war results. One of my frustrations playing as a non-colonial power (Austria, Ottomans, Prussia) is that currently there is absolutely no interaction with that part of the game. You can, of course, take the time to get the appropriate fleet and start taking colonial provinces during a regular war, but taking colonial belongings for, say, Prussia doesnt really make much sense.

Now, however, you should be able to demand home nations to release colonial possessions in a much more natural way as part of the war outcome. I'd love cutting an oversized Portugal or Britain down to size like that, without having to take their provinces myself.

Not sure how much I'll use the randomization feature, but this new organizational system sounds very promising.

Awesome.

Now, however, you should be able to demand home nations to release colonial possessions in a much more natural way as part of the war outcome. I'd love cutting an oversized Portugal or Britain down to size like that, without having to take their provinces myself.

I'm not sure that's possible, from all I've read so far it seems like the colonial nations will get cores on their regions only after they have been formed, so you shouldn't be able to demand their release. Also in the peace treaty menu the nations you can release are called by name so you wouldn't be able to release a colonial nation that has never existed, because the engine hasn't even generated a name for it.

EDIT: Would be cool if they'd implement a "release posessions in colonial region" tab in the peace treaty menu though

Actually you can. You'll get trade power from colonial nations, and i guess fleet basing rights just as you have with vassals. So you'll be able to send as much ships and merchants you want.

Just to add to this as well, presumably these colonial nations will have their own merchants like other vassal types do, so up to a point (their home node) they will be helping mother land compete for trade. For the same reason I usually leave Portugal alive (as Castille/Spain), independent or other, as the benefits of them moving trade along (and colonising) usually outweighs what they will take from Sevilla node for example.

Last edited:
This is awesome!

devchaps, any chance you could clarify whether colonial nations will feature in the dlc only, or whether they'll be available to all 1.4 users?

Dlc.

I'm not sure that's possible, from all I've read so far it seems like the colonial nations will get cores on their regions only after they have been formed, so you shouldn't be able to demand their release. Also in the peace treaty menu the nations you can release are called by name so you wouldn't be able to release a colonial nation that has never existed, because the engine hasn't even generated a name for it.

EDIT: Would be cool if they'd implement a "release posessions in colonial region" tab in the peace treaty menu though

Hmm, I'd like to think (hope) that at least it gives more options in this direction. I really dislike the way colonies are not part of regular continental wars right now, and this might solve that issue. Historically, colonies formed important sections of peace treaties in the 17th and 18th centuries, even when no actual fighting occurred overseas (even if, admittedly, they weren't "released" as such). And gameplay-wise it would add another fun mechanic.

Very precisely Egypt. You only have to take three provinces (Dumyat+Sinai, Gaza+Sinai, or Gaza+Negev, plus one side of the Bab-el-Mandeb) prevent the Ottomans having a land connection to Egypt.
Muhammed Ali

If you get a colonial nation in that area it will get a flag where the left half is the left half of your flag and the right half is the color of the colonial region.

Can these flags be modified? Can the names of the countries? During the game, of course, through the scripts.

If not, well, you know there's a lot of us obsessed with some measure of accuracy when it comes to flags. Some colonial nations could deserve their own flag, especially the ones that almost always are there. Mexican and Caribbean New Spain, Québec and Labrador for France, the Thirteen Colonies, etc...

Needless to say, I am very excited about the content of the new DLC.

Last edited:
hopefully colonials nations will be able to have inter-colonial conflicts (either between colonies owned by the same mothercountry, or those owned by different mothercountries) without guaranteed intervention from the mothercountries

Can these flags be modified? Can the names of the countries? During the game, of course, through the scripts.

If not, well, you know there's a lot of us obsessed with some measure of accuracy when it comes to flags. Some colonial nations could deserve their own flag, especially the ones that almost always are there. Mexican and Caribbean New Spain, Québec and Labrador for France, the Thirteen Colonies, etc...

The flag system is worrying as far as modification goes, because they are generated, which means you can't just change a TGA in the game's files like for any normal country, for example converted saves from CK2 to EU4 have this issue since muslim countries can't have their - random - dynastic flags exported to EU4, so they use the goofy christian shields that exists for those kingdoms.

The flag system is worrying as far as modification goes, because they are generated, which means you can't just change a TGA in the game's files like for any normal country, for example converted saves from CK2 to EU4 have this issue since muslim countries can't have their - random - dynastic flags exported to EU4, so they use the goofy christian shields that exists for those kingdoms.

I imagined that much. I guess the question is, would it be difficult to assign a predefined flag to a country tag?

No, the colonies don't have flag files, they are just a combination of the mother country and the region color. The post-colonial states they can later form, like USA, Peru, Mexico, Canada etc. of course have their historical flags just like before.