• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've recently installed Project Balance and am greatly enjoying it. However, I am experiencing some odd behavior which may or may not be the result of the mod. Whenever I fight a battle, the troop numbers drop as normal, with one side eventually routing the other. However, the post-battle screen indicates that the actual results of the battle were far less casualties for both sides than the prior displays indicated. Is this an intended behavior of Project Balance, a bug, or a bug in CK2 itself?
That probably isn't a bug. Forces that retreat aren't counted in the numbers during the battle. So if 500 troops retreat before a battle ends, that 500 is no longer counted in the battle's numbers.

I've noticed that the Mongols do not invade other Tengri nations. In my current saved game it was actually game-breaking, as I've played with the Magyars, raided the hell out of my Christian neighbors to the point where I've financed the building of cities in my demesne as well as Centers of trade, managed to reform Tengri over time and installed my own dynasty in most of those areas (giving them independence). Eventually I was so rich that once the religious head called for a Great holy war against Kievan Rus, I conquered it, installed my second son as the ruler, then waged holy wars within the Rhos de-jure territory, and eventually gave independence and money so they can form the Rhos empire. While all this was a very nice experience, the downside was that, once the Mongols arrived, the Golden Horde was stuck with 5-6 territories and they wouldn't move with their 130k+ army.

Just to test it, I took control over the Golden Horde khan and changed the Khazar ruler's religion to Sunni. Needless to say a CB popped up right away, whereas it was not available while the Khazar ruler was Tengri.

Imo this "Mongols getting stuck" factor somewhat diminishes the great impact their invasion has on Europe, and in my case spelled "game over" as it felt like there was nothing left to do.
Looking into the CB file I don't see what might be causing your issue I'm afraid.

In my current campaign, King of England won the crusade for Jerusalem and whenever a Jihad is successful, he won't lose the title because there are 3 Templar castles spread across Europe which are still under the Kingdom of Jerusalem, making it so that he would always get Jerusalem back after the next crusade is won. Is this WAD?

(PB+SWMH)

In my current campaign, King of England won the crusade for Jerusalem and whenever a Jihad is successful, he won't lose the title because there are 3 Templar castles spread across Europe which are still under the Kingdom of Jerusalem, making it so that he would always get Jerusalem back after the next crusade is won. Is this WAD?

(PB+SWMH)
I'm relatively sure the Jihad is supposed to give the target title to whoever wins, so probably not WAD, no.

I had an interesting situation in my game yesterday, i forgot to take a screenshot but i will try to explain it :

I was Sultan of Syria and a vassal of Seljuk Empire.

There was a duke-level vassal of Seljuk Empire who had 3 duchies and one of his duchies was within my de jure Syrian kingdom ( other ones are located deep within Iran ). Because of this, a decision appeared to request from my liege that he should serve under me. I requested it and the Emperor accepted ( i didn't know at the time that man was a super-duke ). Now, i obtained both my dejure territory and a large chunk of territory inside Seljuk Empire.

I think it is a little bit gamey. That decision should be possible only if the duke has territory only within my dejure territory or has much smaller territory outside my dejure territory.

Decided to try a game as Ynglings in 877, forming Nordmannia. I must say the new faction system is lovely. Even though it can be sometimes annoying, and the vassals do try -very- hard to reduce the centralization in my realm. I thought of sacrificing the higher crown laws for peace, but I just can't give up Emperor's Peace, since Holy Wars are impossible without it. Overall, makes for an interesting choice.

Is the ruler informed when Faction decides to maintain status quo/make itself stronger? I didn't receive any notifications of such.

I really need some tips. I believe PB has the ability for vassals to call other vassals during a civil war.

When my old ruler died and a new one came into the throne (girl under regency), there was a glut of factions formed. Now while I was scrambling to satisfy them and getting a feast in, got a ultimatum sent to me to remove kings peace.

There was around 4-5 counts with minor power that was supporting this. After I checked out their relative power and seeing there wasn't enough to be a threat I said no, and suddenly around 90% of the realm revolted. It was like a domino effect, one by one everyone seemed to be calling their neighbors in.

Thankfully with cold hard cash and mercenaries I eked out a white peace, didn't dare try for a victory, all the neighbouring empires were conquering the revolting vassals one by one.

This has happened twice now and its a real hassle so can anyone help me understand how to manage a peaceful succession ? I cannot quite understand how to judge which vassals are going to revolt either so that's another headache.

BTW, this is with official PB+VIET, not the new faction beta.

Also is it better to be having dukes under kings to reduce this, because currently I am trying to go single-count mainly under my Kingdom.

I really need some tips. I believe PB has the ability for vassals to call other vassals during a civil war.

When my old ruler died and a new one came into the throne (girl under regency), there was a glut of factions formed. Now while I was scrambling to satisfy them and getting a feast in, got a ultimatum sent to me to remove kings peace.

There was around 4-5 counts with minor power that was supporting this. After I checked out their relative power and seeing there wasn't enough to be a threat I said no, and suddenly around 90% of the realm revolted. It was like a domino effect, one by one everyone seemed to be calling their neighbors in.

Thankfully with cold hard cash and mercenaries I eked out a white peace, didn't dare try for a victory, all the neighbouring empires were conquering the revolting vassals one by one.

This has happened twice now and its a real hassle so can anyone help me understand how to manage a peaceful succession ? I cannot quite understand how to judge which vassals are going to revolt either so that's another headache.

BTW, this is with official PB+VIET, not the new faction beta.

Also is it better to be having dukes under kings to reduce this, because currently I am trying to go single-count mainly under my Kingdom.

Single counting your realm generally creates problems like that described above. It also makes your vassals extremely vulnerable during civil wars, and generally hinders both your taxes and manpower. It's much easier to focus on keeping one duke happy than 5 counts...especially since opinion plays such a large role into how much troops he'll give you.

So there's that.

Secondly, the faction itself is only the tip of the iceberg. The real danger is when the civil war kicks off, how many people are going to jump in opportunistically. Those vassals in the realm that don't like you, even if not part of the faction, will join it to spite you once it gets going. Essentially, by the time that the ultimatum is being presented, the jig's already up.

You either fight, as you did. Or just give in.

As for what you can do make it easier for succeeding as a girl under regency? Nothing. It should be the worst situation possible, (and historically speaking, you got off very easy). All you can really do is let them have their ticky tacky law changes like 'king's peace' and move on.

That said. I can see why you had king's peace if all your vassals for 1 province counts. That must be like a bag of cats.

Single counting your realm generally creates problems like that described above. It also makes your vassals extremely vulnerable during civil wars, and generally hinders both your taxes and manpower. It's much easier to focus on keeping one duke happy than 5 counts...especially since opinion plays such a large role into how much troops he'll give you.

So there's that.

Secondly, the faction itself is only the tip of the iceberg. The real danger is when the civil war kicks off, how many people are going to jump in opportunistically. Those vassals in the realm that don't like you, even if not part of the faction, will join it to spite you once it gets going. Essentially, by the time that the ultimatum is being presented, the jig's already up.

You either fight, as you did. Or just give in.

As for what you can do make it easier for succeeding as a girl under regency? Nothing. It should be the worst situation possible, (and historically speaking, you got off very easy). All you can really do is let them have their ticky tacky law changes like 'king's peace' and move on.

That said. I can see why you had king's peace if all your vassals for 1 province counts. That must be like a bag of cats.

No kidding its definitely like herding cats. With the latest vassal levy nerf the amount of levies really go down with dukes so that's why I went the single count way. I am playing the Zoroastrians and with the Abassid monolith next door I definitely need as much levies as much as possible. Why does single counts hamper taxes though? Manpower actually goes up when single count rather than dukes though.

No kidding its definitely like herding cats. With the latest vassal levy nerf the amount of levies really go down with dukes so that's why I went the single count way. I am playing the Zoroastrians and with the Abassid monolith next door I definitely need as much levies as much as possible. Why does single counts hamper taxes though? Manpower actually goes up when single count rather than dukes though.

Well. In PB, the base vassal levies is raised from 0.5 to 1.0. So you're getting quite a bit of potential manpower, anyways.

The other major reason is that opinion is by far and away the biggest determinant of how much manpower you get. Sure, hypothetically, 5 counts at 100 opinion might give you 20% more manpower than 1 duke at 100 opinion (and I think it would actually be less than that). A count that dips below 0 opinion, no matter his levies, will be giving nothing. And even a count at 30, will be giving less than a third.

But it is much much easier to keep a Duke at max opinion.

So if I were to find myself in a situation like you did, I'd bite the bullet, and make a few Dukes. At the very least, you can expect them to be maximally loyal for the next twenty years...so that can turn what would have been a horrible situation into a very stable one.

The first twenty years after making dukes is always the easiest time in a kingdom's nascent existence...so make the most of it. Try and ward their heir's, so you get A) A mentorship bonus, and B) they acquire similar traits.

It's also much easier to gift one Duke before a major war, and get his opinion to 100, THEN raise his levy, than gifting multiple counts.

Another big change in patch 2.0, is Martial score plays a huge role in available manpower. It's easier to pick out one great Duke with a high martial, than 5 counts.

So yes. I consider counts a losing strategy, and would definitely be uncontrollable chaos in a MP game.

Hmm interesting points. Hmm I guess with lower number of direct vassals managing opinion would be a bit easier. I am always busy mentoring my own children or grandchildren so I doubt I can ward their heir though. And after all the problem is not for a long reigning king but a new one.

Lets see if I can salvage this game but I probably can't. Only 30 more years before the Seljuk stack comes and I definitely don't have enough to fight them off.
Well Zoroastrian always was a hard start after all. Lets see how far I can go with dukes.

Hmm interesting points. Hmm I guess with lower number of direct vassals managing opinion would be a bit easier. I am always busy mentoring my own children or grandchildren so I doubt I can ward their heir though. And after all the problem is not for a long reigning king but a new one.

Lets see if I can salvage this game but I probably can't. Only 30 more years before the Seljuk stack comes and I definitely don't have enough to fight them off.
Well Zoroastrian always was a hard start after all. Lets see how far I can go with dukes.

Nothing in life or CK2 is a slam dunk strategy. It sounds to me like you still have time. When you first make Dukes, the next 20 years is easiest, because you can count on getting 100% manpower and absolute loyalty (even in the face of ridiculous tyranny)...since giving someone a duchy and 3-5 counties, is like a +180 opinion boost, minimum, that lasts about 20 years. That could be the window of time needed to deal with the Turks.

Dukes have drawbacks as well. Namely, if you don't keep an eye on them, after a generation or two, they can get restless. But again...it's much easier to handle the tyranny (of a last resort) of ruthlessly dealing with one duke dynasty, than a bunch of counts. Provided my kingdom was big enough to support multiple duchies, including my own royal demesne, I never had much trouble. Often, I did all I could to coax them into traitorous deeds, so I could revoke the dukedom and give it to another.

And again. It doesn't just work on autopilot. After the first generation, I often have to send out gifts before major wars. If I need max output.

Formed Persia as Karen, but after a few days the game always crashes. I have looked in the error file in the project balance folder and it says

"[id.cpp:83]: Failed to create id 1801011 40. Already exists in game." Might that be a problem with the creation of the immortals?
Any way that I can fix it?

Formed Persia as Karen, but after a few days the game always crashes. I have looked in the error file in the project balance folder and it says

"[id.cpp:83]: Failed to create id 1801011 40. Already exists in game." Might that be a problem with the creation of the immortals?
Any way that I can fix it?
Do you have a save where the issue is reproducible?