• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Out of curiousity, have you ever messed with the conditions or AI reasoning to commission ruinstones? I looked at them and noticed that any ruler can do it, and will always do so if they can. That's a flat 100 gold lost on every succession to any Norse ruler. I made a small change myself for my games, thought you might be interested:

Code:
        ai_will_do = {
            factor = 1

modifier = {
                factor = 0
                OR = { 
                    lower_tier_than = duke
                    NOT = { wealth = 300 }
                }
            }
        }

If I coded that right, it should make it so that any ruler that is a lower rank then duke or who has less then 300 gold will never commission a ruinstone. Should make them more likely to actually build upgrades in the holdings early on.
Haven't looked at it, no. Not really a priority.

Alright, it is probably the main reason Norse provinces are very poor, but if that isn't a priority that's fine.
Good suggestion, although a counterpoint would be that runestones have a lifetime cooldown period for the ruler already, and they raise huge vassal opinion, which is critical for the continuously independence-minded Norse. Admittedly, there is no big reason for a Norse count to raise a runestone. That might too be covered in the decision's allow/potential; I haven't looked.

In general, PDS seems to not pay a lot of attention to the ai_will_do on (usually minor) decisions or, from what I can tell, buildings compared to the effort they put into the player-facing side of things. Result is usually more chaos for the AI, so you're right to second-guess such things for balance concerns. If you think that's an important one, make a personal submod like a lot of folks and find out (or just know).

In general, I think the reason Norse realms are usually so poor is that, well, most of them have crap for holdings, and they have a low starting tech level compared to Catholic countries, so they don't have numerous tax- and levy-generating buildings auto-built in whatever holdings they do have upon game startup, and the Catholics do get them (even if they're next door to a Norse jarldom).

EDIT: Was looking at latest defines.lua in the factions branch of PB and happened to notice that the start tech levels are the same for Catholic and "Other" (i.e., pagan), so I was wrong about the Catholic holdings starting more fleshed-out (in PB, at least, so probably vanilla too).

Last edited:
Good suggestion, although a counterpoint would be that runestones have a lifetime cooldown period for the ruler already, and they raise huge vassal opinion, which is critical for the continuously independence-minded Norse. Admittedly, there is no big reason for a Norse count to raise a runestone. That might too be covered in the decision's allow/potential; I haven't looked.
The potential is that it must be an adult ruler who is Norse and have not done it yet, the allow is that they have 100 gold, and the AI will do is 1 with no modifiers. This means that on every single succession, the ruler will spend 100 gold on raising a ruinstone. If a ruler is landlocked, and only getting like 5-10 gold every year, that's 10-20 years of income spent every 20-40 years or so.

In general, PDS seems to not pay a lot of attention to the ai_will_do on (usually minor) decisions or, from what I can tell, buildings compared to the effort they put into the player-facing side of things. Result is usually more chaos for the AI, so you're right to second-guess such things for balance concerns. If you think that's an important one, make a personal submod like a lot of folks and find out (or just know).
I do, the changes I made are the ones I copied into here.

In general, I think the reason Norse realms are usually so poor is that, well, most of them have crap for holdings, and they have a low starting tech level compared to Catholic countries, so they don't have numerous tax- and levy-generating buildings auto-built in whatever holdings they do have upon game startup, and the Catholics do get them (even if they're next door to a Norse jarldom).

EDIT: Was looking at latest defines.lua in the factions branch of PB and happened to notice that the start tech levels are the same for Catholic and "Other" (i.e., pagan), so I was wrong about the Catholic holdings starting more fleshed-out (in PB, at least, so probably vanilla too).
In vanilla, yes. However, the issue is that even hundreds of years down the line, a single province theocracy I created in one game had no province upgrades, and when I gifted the owner like 150 gold to upgrade, he immediately spent 100 of it on a ruinstone and I had to gift another hundred to make him build his first upgrade.

IMO it should not be possible for a count with no father to raise a runestone. You either commit a runestone to honour your own, or your father's accomplishments -- a count has not accomplished much or he'd be a duke.
However I would not block it for money, as the AI will build a building before he can save up enough. There is no AI control that looks at how much more they need to afford a decision or war after all.

IMO it should not be possible for a count with no father to raise a runestone. You either commit a runestone to honour your own, or your father's accomplishments -- a count has not accomplished much or he'd be a duke.
However I would not block it for money, as the AI will build a building before he can save up enough. There is no AI control that looks at how much more they need to afford a decision or war after all.

I had planned on checking if they could raise ships or not, or if they had an annual wealth of at least 40 gold to decide whether or not it would be barred instead of rank and total wealth. However, I couldn't find the conditions for that so I went with what I could find.

I've noticed that the Mongols do not invade other Tengri nations. In my current saved game it was actually game-breaking, as I've played with the Magyars, raided the hell out of my Christian neighbors to the point where I've financed the building of cities in my demesne as well as Centers of trade, managed to reform Tengri over time and installed my own dynasty in most of those areas (giving them independence). Eventually I was so rich that once the religious head called for a Great holy war against Kievan Rus, I conquered it, installed my second son as the ruler, then waged holy wars within the Rhos de-jure territory, and eventually gave independence and money so they can form the Rhos empire. While all this was a very nice experience, the downside was that, once the Mongols arrived, the Golden Horde was stuck with 5-6 territories and they wouldn't move with their 130k+ army.

Just to test it, I took control over the Golden Horde khan and changed the Khazar ruler's religion to Sunni. Needless to say a CB popped up right away, whereas it was not available while the Khazar ruler was Tengri.

Imo this "Mongols getting stuck" factor somewhat diminishes the great impact their invasion has on Europe, and in my case spelled "game over" as it felt like there was nothing left to do.

I had planned on checking if they could raise ships or not, or if they had an annual wealth of at least 40 gold to decide whether or not it would be barred instead of rank and total wealth. However, I couldn't find the conditions for that so I went with what I could find.

In my opinion, the best ai_will_do modifier would be monthly income (+ the minimum treasury exceeding the cost), so I'm with you on your general stated direction. It single-handedly takes into account all the relevant factors you're looking for (raiding income, vassal income, etc.). You just need to experiment a little bit with what degrees of monthly income are on your sliding scale of modifiers to see what produces acceptable results, though some common sense and quick math does most of the work for you.

This is unofficially off-topic at this point, though. :unsure:

I think the AI plans for war costs, nominally. Obviously, it can't plan for decisions without help, though, since they are alien, arbitrary event mechanics. I'm not sure what you mean by "the AI will build a building before he can save up enough." If the AI has the monthly income to build buildings but not runestones, then it should save up for and construct buildings instead, and that's the OP's point.

Has anyone else been having the experience of France being forced to Elective Monarchy via faction, then taken over by William via factional war, within a decade of the William the Conqueror start?

Since that's happened consistently to me over 6 games with PB Factions+VIET+MBGOTW. Doesn't matter where I am playing.

I don't normally mind ahistorical results, but this just seems way too often for me to be comfortable with.

Has anyone else been having the experience of France being forced to Elective Monarchy via faction, then taken over by William via factional war, within a decade of the William the Conqueror start?

Since that's happened consistently to me over 6 games with PB Factions+VIET+MBGOTW. Doesn't matter where I am playing.

I don't normally mind ahistorical results, but this just seems way too often for me to be comfortable with.
I might need to tone down that faction, yeah.
I've noticed that the Mongols do not invade other Tengri nations. In my current saved game it was actually game-breaking, as I've played with the Magyars, raided the hell out of my Christian neighbors to the point where I've financed the building of cities in my demesne as well as Centers of trade, managed to reform Tengri over time and installed my own dynasty in most of those areas (giving them independence). Eventually I was so rich that once the religious head called for a Great holy war against Kievan Rus, I conquered it, installed my second son as the ruler, then waged holy wars within the Rhos de-jure territory, and eventually gave independence and money so they can form the Rhos empire. While all this was a very nice experience, the downside was that, once the Mongols arrived, the Golden Horde was stuck with 5-6 territories and they wouldn't move with their 130k+ army.

Just to test it, I took control over the Golden Horde khan and changed the Khazar ruler's religion to Sunni. Needless to say a CB popped up right away, whereas it was not available while the Khazar ruler was Tengri.

Imo this "Mongols getting stuck" factor somewhat diminishes the great impact their invasion has on Europe, and in my case spelled "game over" as it felt like there was nothing left to do.
Hmm. They're supposed to be able to use the CB against other Tengri countries. I'll have to look into it.

Hello guys,

I'm facing a little issue and would need some help. I made a search on this thread but no one seems to really have the same issue. I'm getting all my MALE children to die in the first days after their birth. This occurs only for rulers that I use the cutomization ruler option at the launch of the game.

I'm playing BP with VIET compatible mod only.

Anyone has any idea ?

(I'm posting here as i haven't found a didecidated thread for bugs).

Last edited:
Hello guys,

I'm facing a little issue and would need some help. I made a search on this thread but no one seems to really have the same issue. I'm getting all my MALE children to die in the first days after their birth. This occurs only for rulers that I use the cutomization ruler option at the launch of the game.

I'm playing BP with VIET compatible mod only.

Anyone has any idea ?

(I'm posting here as i haven't found a didecidated thread for bugs).

Was happening to me a few days before. Probably the RNG (Random Number Generator) at fault here. I was having daughters by the boatload in consecutive games. Just play a few new games and it will even out I think.

I've recently installed Project Balance and am greatly enjoying it. However, I am experiencing some odd behavior which may or may not be the result of the mod. Whenever I fight a battle, the troop numbers drop as normal, with one side eventually routing the other. However, the post-battle screen indicates that the actual results of the battle were far less casualties for both sides than the prior displays indicated. Is this an intended behavior of Project Balance, a bug, or a bug in CK2 itself?

I've recently installed Project Balance and am greatly enjoying it. However, I am experiencing some odd behavior which may or may not be the result of the mod. Whenever I fight a battle, the troop numbers drop as normal, with one side eventually routing the other. However, the post-battle screen indicates that the actual results of the battle were far less casualties for both sides than the prior displays indicated. Is this an intended behavior of Project Balance, a bug, or a bug in CK2 itself?
Most likely a vanilla issue, as I don't see how PB could affect those numbers.

Feature suggestion:

In tandem with the suggested changes in the SWMH thread, you might be interested in making either an event/decision for scorched earth tactics for Mongol characters. The il-Khanids went apes**t all over Central Asia with that stuff. And, if you can code at the province level with modifiers, it might make the il-Khans a little more dynamic. (Or anyone who wants to do that? Would be neat to see an event chain that players' outlooks can escalate to such a level. Like, prevent normal characters from being able to do it at first, and have them slowly escalate in aggression to point of doing such a thing.)

Feature suggestion:

In tandem with the suggested changes in the SWMH thread, you might be interested in making either an event/decision for scorched earth tactics for Mongol characters. The il-Khanids went apes**t all over Central Asia with that stuff. And, if you can code at the province level with modifiers, it might make the il-Khans a little more dynamic. (Or anyone who wants to do that? Would be neat to see an event chain that players' outlooks can escalate to such a level. Like, prevent normal characters from being able to do it at first, and have them slowly escalate in aggression to point of doing such a thing.)
Not sure if that's in PB's scope, but it's certainly outside PB's current focus. I might implement something like that at some point in the future though, or if someone else ends up coding it.