Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise dev diary 6: Colonial nations

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really like how this feature sounds, and that you have thought of generated names / flags. (can flags please be cut in halves vertically, horisontally and diagonally depending on how the country's flag looks already for aesthetics)

Now the "What's in it for me" question: Historically countries (and so do I in EUIV) colonized in order to generate wealth for themselves. If the Colonized areas become (semi)independent nations, how will my country continue to bring in riches from the colonies?

Now the "What's in it for me" question: Historically countries (and so do I in EUIV) colonized in order to generate wealth for themselves. If the Colonized areas become (semi)independent nations, how will my country continue to bring in riches from the colonies?
You have a fleet, don't you?

A feature i have great expectations about… and, like anomalacaris, my favorite feature of the expansion.

Question : regarding the colonial uprising, does the colonial nation become independent ? or does the regular nations revolt from the colonial nation ?

I really like how this feature sounds, and that you have thought of generated names / flags. (can flags please be cut in halves vertically, horisontally and diagonally depending on how the country's flag looks already for aesthetics)

Well a usual colony only brings the motherland a fraction of it's income as "Tariffs" but allow the motherland to steer trade back to the capital;
A colonial nation will benefits from the full income of its province and send a share of this incomee to the motherland (like vassals does), i suspect there will be a mechanic to adjust the tax rate of colonial nations, which will impact the nationalist sentiment of the colonials. Additionally the motherland gets half the tradepower of the colonial nation;
So basically it has the potential to bring in much more money than regular colonies, but if you try to milk the golden goose too much, Mel Gibson and his buddies might revolt en masse.

Question : regarding the colonial uprising, does the colonial nation become independent ? or does the regular nations revolt from the colonial nation ?

Notice the new ressource in the top bar, it's the nationalist sentiment, there's also a new tab in the nation's menu, which is greyed out, must be for Independance matters.

Well a usual colony only brings the motherland a fraction of it's income as "Tariffs" but allow the motherland to steer trade back to the capital;
A colonial nation will benefits from the full income of its province and send a share of this incomee to the motherland (like vassals does), i suspect there will be a mechanic to adjust the tax rate of colonial nations, which will impact the nationalist sentiment of the colonials. Additionally the motherland gets half the tradepower of the colonial nation;
So basically it has the potential to bring in much more money than regular colonies, but if you try to milk the golden goose too much, Mel Gibson and his buddies might revolt en masse.

Much better answer than I could have come up with. So the Taxes will go to the Colonial Nation, the trade power will go to me kinda thing?

Notice the new ressource in the top bar, it's the nationalist sentiment, there's also a new tab in the nation's menu, which is greyed out, must be for Independance matters.

Yes, but EpicBurrito phrased it better than i did :

What are the chances of the USA getting formed under this new system? Also, does having colonial nations under you use up your diplomatic relations?

Russia and Alaska. No?

It will become a colonial nation.

So you get a new flag when you colonize one area? like brazil?

If you get a colonial nation in that area it will get a flag where the left half is the left half of your flag and the right half is the color of the colonial region.

Looks like a cool feature and I want to know more. :)

Question: Will you get into a war with another country if your colonial nation goes to war with their colonial nation or do colonial nations have the same diplomacy as vassals? Also how are provinces you colonised treated when such a province is in between two colonial countries you control? Wish the dynamic tags was modder friendly though :(

Anyways, have fun at the party :D

If the Colonized areas become (semi)independent nations, how will my country continue to bring in riches from the colonies?

More on those mechanics in coming dev diaries.

The old revolutionar events that formed countries like USA, Colombia etc. are gone and replaced with mechanics, but as I said above, more on that later.

What are the chances of the USA getting formed under this new system?

It happens fairly regularly in our overnight games.

The 13 colonies is an odd name for an area that had less then 13 colonies for about 75% of the period it was a colonial region.

Also, is anything being done to keep colonial armies small? AKAIK the largest army assembled in the New World during this time period was a force of 18k that the British assembled for about three weeks during the American revolution before splitting it up again. "Doomstacks" would be like 12k troops before they'd become unwieldy. At the same time in the European theater you were seeing waaaay bigger armies being assembled in short order.

More on those mechanics in coming dev diaries.

The old revolutionar events that formed countries like USA, Colombia etc. are gone and replaced with mechanics, but as I said above, more on that later.

It happens fairly regularly in our overnight games.

nice. thanks.

Is the 5 province number before breakaway moddable? Will we be able to change it to 3, or 10, or disable completely?

I'm still hoping you'll in future expand this mechanic such that the parent nation can influence this break away mechanic, blocking the break away but at the cost of increasing revolt risk, decrease revenue, etc.

But if the breakaway can be modded then that goes a long way to achieving that already.

Thanks

Hey how about if we could choose the name of a newly founded colonial nation ourselves? I mean Nouvelle Flandre is cool, but what if Flanders is your biggest enemy in that game? What if "someone" would get completely compulsive over the fact that his 13 colonies have only 11 provinces, or the fact that Jadida Granada means "The new woman belonging to Granada"?

That feature gives EU4 a little taste of CK2. Which can only be good imho. ;)

What about colonizing Africa, Siberia, Oceania and Indonesia? Will there be independent colonial countries there too? What happens when Russia expands eastwards or when a nation starts too expand in Africa with new colonies?

What happens to the colonial nations if the home country gets annexed or is expelled from Europe?

Will your colonial nations eventually get a new different culture?

What about colonizing Africa, Siberia, Oceania and Indonesia? Will there be independent colonial countries there too? What happens when Russia expands eastwards or when a nation starts too expand in Africa with new colonies?

No. The colonial nation mechanic is only for the New World (North and South America) as most other things in this expansion.