Pack Up Your Worm Sprites! - Full Basic Infantry Pack for 1914 Scenario

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chicken Spadge

Major
31 Badges
Aug 3, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Iron Cross
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks

Pack up your worm sprites in your old kit bag and smile! smile! smile!
While you've a Civ3 sprite and there's no lag, smile boys, that's the style,
What's the use of counters? they never were worth while,
So! pack up your worm sprites in your old kit bag and smile! smile! smile!

That's right folks, this is a basic infantry and cavalry sprite pack in three versions for Darkest Hour's First World War scenario in which you can choose early-style uniforms (e.g. pointy helmets for the German infantry, red trousers for the French), the more practical late-style uniforms, or an integrated option with both types included.

The early-style infantry pack includes unique sprites for the following countries/groups: France, Germany, Russia, Great Britain, Austria-Hungary, Turkey, Italy, the USA, Belgium, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, Montenegro, Japan and Minority (actually early Greek sprites).

The later-style infantry pack includes different unique sprites for all the above except the minorities, Montenegro and Japan, which again have the early-style sprites. In addition, Portugal and Greece have their own later-style sprites.

In the integrated infantry pack, the early sprites will be replaced by the later ones when your infantry units are upgraded to Level 5 (1916).

The early-style cavalry pack includes unique sprites for the following countries/groups: France, Germany, Russia, Great Britain, Austria-Hungary, Turkey, Italy, the USA, Belgium, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, Montenegro, the ANZACs and Minority (actually early Greek sprites).

The later-style cavalry pack includes different unique sprites for the following countries/groups: France, Germany, Great Britain, Austria-Hungary, Belgium, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria and Greece, plus the early-style sprites for all the other countries included in the first pack.

In the integrated cavalry pack, the early sprites will be replaced by the later ones when your infantry units are upgraded to Level 5 (1916).

Note that all combinations of infantry and cavalry sprite packs are possible. You don't have to choose the same type for both. For example, you could choose the early infantry pack and late cavalry pack if you want.

Here are some screenshots.

AXowzD0.png

r8UMRbo.png

TqNz22h.png

ggjIWpA.png

CkvjHsr.png

aPJduoB.png

Acknowledgements - First I'd like to point out that the main credit for these sprites should go to their orginal creator - Imperator1961 from the civfanatics Civ3 Units forum, who has very kindly given me his permission to post them up here. All I did was convert them so that they could be used in Darkest Hour.

I'd also like to thank Inner Circle for providing the Civ3 conversions tutorial found here, and novapaddy for posting the tutorial up and patiently answering all my newbie questions.

The Downloads:

Important, Read first!:

You should avoid putting these sprites in a unit folder that already includes additional infantry or cavalry sprites from another source unless you make the appropriate changes.

These sprites are for the First World War scenario, but if you simply stick them into your main copy of DH, they'll also appear in the other scenarios. If you don't want this to happen, you should do one of the following two things:

1. Create a special copy of the game just for playing the 1914 scenario and download the sprite pack into the main folder of that.

2. Or go to For the Glory/Mods. Then copy 'Darkest Hour Full' and paste it in the same place. Give the copy another name, such as 'First World War Scenario' and put the downloads there. Then you can choose this option on the Launcher when you want to play the scenario.

Screenshot%203crop_zpslrg9tb0j.png~original
Screenshot%204crop_zpso2ddo40u.png~original
Screenshot%205crop_zps8bpwryd1.png~original

Whichever variant you chose, you also need to download the country file. Unlike in other DH scenarios, Germany isn't designated as 'GER' but as 'U08', while Austria-Hungary is 'U09'. If you don't change the country file, you'll see minority sprites for those two countries and others. Put the country file download in Darkest Hour/Mods/Darkest Hour Full (or in the new folder that you've created in option 2 above).

Download the Early Infantry Sprite Pack Here
Download the Late Infantry Sprite Pack Here
Download the Integrated Infantry Sprite Pack (Early and Late) Here
Download the Early Cavalry Sprite Pack Here
Download the Late Cavalry Sprite Pack Here
Download the Integrated Cavalry Sprite Pack (Early and Late) Here
Download the country file here

In all cases, overwrite when asked.

Note: There is an alternative cavalry sprite for the Russians - Cossacks.

UR9o2p2.png
emvHxK4.png

On the left is the standard Russian cavalry, on the right the Cossacks

If you would prefer the Cossacks, download the cavalry pack of your choice first, then download the Cossacks

Download the Russian Cossacks Here

Update - Here is an add-on mountain infantry pack for six nations

MTN%20AUS_zpss2pzxa3b.png~original
MTN%20BUL_zpsfhlp6gcb.png~original
MTN%20FRA_zpswimvzw5n.png~original
MTN%20GER_zpsilg7g0qt.png~original
MTN%20ITA_zpsasevaz2m.png~original
MTN%20OTT_zps5txes6yk.png~original

Austria, Bulgaria, France, Germany, Italy and Turkey

There is only one level, so this pack can be added to any version (early, late or integrated) of the main infantry pack.

Download mountain infantry pack here

Last edited:
Reactions:
Additional Notes

Some Sprites Not Changing

If you play with the Integrated Packs uninterrupted through the changeover period, it's likely that some of the sprites won't change from early to late versions when they are upgraded to Level 5. They will change if you save and restart, however.

Number of Levels

In the Integrated Packs I've included .spr files that are labelled L-6, L-7 and L-8 to prevent the sprites from reverting back to the early uniforms when they go beyond Level 5. From what I can gather, most people don't play the scenario far past the historical end of the war. If you want to play far into the future you should copy the L-5 .spr files and create L-9, L-10 files, etc.

T-INFANTRY C-FIRE A-MIN

I think that this file was originally designed for responding to air attacks, but the sprite concerned has an annoying habit of appearing during land battles as well (Arrrgh! the worm sprites are back!). I've recently experimented with removing the file. I was worried that this could cause problems, but I haven't experienced any so far. This mod doesn't remove the file, so it's up to you if you want to get rid of it or not.

Possible Errors

Although I have tested the sprites in the game, it's difficult to check every single component, especially the FIRE files. If you see any errors please let me know and I'll try to fix them as soon as possible. At the same time, I should point out that the defenders don't always seem to fire at the territory from which they are being attacked. This is caused if the defender was running when attacked. It fires in the direction in which it was running. This is something that you can see with the original sprites if you look closely.

A Confession

The late US infantry is actually a marine. This is because its colour makes it more easily distinguishable from the British, Canadian and Portuguese units.

Last edited:
I'd like to be able to say 'In response to popular demand....' but....!

As this pack hasn't exactly produced a lot of feedback it went to the back of queue for some extra attention. Quite a few people have downloaded it, though, and it's now time to re-visit it.

Actually, looking back I probably didn't make the instructions very clear for the downloads. Sorry about that. I've begun by revising those and making the download for the country file simpler.

Meanwhile, I've put the extra practice I've gained to good use by producing a proper late British infantry sprite. I've mananged to re-colour the helmet (which was originally white for some reason) so that it matches the uniform.

I've adjusted the downloads in the original post to include this new sprite, but here are a couple of hotfixes for those who have already downloaded the late or integrated (early and late) versions of the pack.

[URL='http://www.mediafire.com/download/xd6t31wke2e7m7f/gfx(23).zip']British Infantry Late Pack Download
[/URL]
[URL='http://www.mediafire.com/download/j54874kv9sh4upj/gfx(24).zip']British Infantry Integrated Pack Download[/URL]

As for the Canadian sprite that was representing the late British infantry, I've now relabled it as late Canadian. I've also produced an early Canadian infantry sprite.

[URL='http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/7/3okh.png/']

Here are the downloads:

Canadian Infantry Early Pack Download
Canadian Infantry Late Pack Download
Canadian Infantry Integrated Pack Download

If you want to include these Canadian sprites you also need to adjust the country file. Go to
Darkest Hour/Mods/Darkest Hour Full/db and open the file.

Now change 'CAN;LightGray;ENG;ENG;X' into 'CAN;LightGray;ENG;CAN;X'

If you don't do this, you will continue to see the British sprites representing Canada.

Next I'm going to post up some more bonus sprites for the British Empire/Commonwealth. After that I'll provide a mountain troops pack. So, keep an eye out for those. They should be ready quite soon.[/URL]

Last edited:
Arturius have you seen this?

Here are a couple of sprites that are labelled as ANZAC - early on the left, late on the right

ANZAC Infantry Early Pack Download
ANZAC Infantry Late Pack Download
ANZAC Infantry Integrated Pack Download

If you want to use these sprites for Australia and New Zealand you need to adjust the country file again. Go to Darkest Hour/Mods/Darkest Hour Full/db and open the file.

Now change 'AST;LightGray;AST;ENG;X' to 'AST;LightGray;AST;AST;X'
and change 'NZL;DarkYellow;NZL;ENG;X' to 'NZL;DarkYellow;NZL;AST;X'

If you want to use the sprites for South Africa you should change:

'SAF;LightRed;ENG;ENG;X' to 'SAF;LightRed;ENG;AST;X'

Three more sprites to round off the bonus basic infantry units.

First, here's a British Raj unit:

There is only one level for this unit, so it's the same download whatever version of the pack you use.

Download British Raj infantry

If you want to use this unit, you need to to Darkest Hour/Mods/Darkest Hour Full/db and open the file.

Now change 'U02;DarkYellow;ENG;MIN;X' to 'U02;DarkYellow;ENG;U02;X'

Note that you need to use a zero for the second character and not the letter 'O'.

And here are two alternative British infantry units:

Alternative British Infantry Early Pack Download
Alternative British Infantry Late Pack Download
Alternative British Infantry Integrated Pack Download

OK, next up will be the mountain infantry for six nations. Keep an eye out for that.

Awesome sprites.
What's the difference between converting sprite to HOI and to FTG ? Can I use these sprites in FTG or use FTG sprites in HOI? What about convert sprite to Vitroria1 ?

Awesome sprites.
What's the difference between converting sprite to HOI and to FTG ? Can I use these sprites in FTG or use FTG sprites in HOI? What about convert sprite to Vitroria1 ?

It's basically the same process. For infantry the main differences are:

1. while in FtG you only have to convert the NE and SW FIRE strips, in HOI2 and derivatives you have to do all eight directions.

2. on the other hand, for the HOI2 family the sprites only appear in one place - on the map, so you don't have to cut the FIRE and STAND strips down to fit in screens.

3. FtG - 'T-ARMY', HOI2 - 'T-INFANTRY', 'T-MARINE', etc.

I haven't tried converting sprites for Victoria 1, but I would guess that the same process would work for that as well.

I've now included three alternative packs of cavalry for this mod in the original post.

Some examples:

ty4WCJW.png

As with the infantry, there are three packs to choose from - Early Cavalry, Late Cavalry and an Intergrated Cavalry pack with both early and late sprites combined.

The early-style pack includes unique sprites for the following countries/groups: France, Germany, Russia, Great Britain, Austria-Hungary, Turkey, Italy, the USA, Belgium, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, Montenegro, the ANZACs and Minority (actually early Greek sprites).

The later-style pack includes different unique sprites for the following countries/groups: France, Germany, Great Britain, Austria-Hungary, Belgium, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria and Greece, plus the early-style sprites for all the other countries included in the first pack.

In the integrated pack, the early sprites will be replaced by the later ones when your infantry units are upgraded to Level 5 (1916).

Note: If you haven't downloaded the ANZAC infantry from post #7 and already amended the country file, you need to go Darkest Hour/Mods/Darkest Hour Full/db and open the file. Then change:

AST;LightGray;AST;ENG;X to
AST;LightGray;AST;AST;X
and
NZL;DarkYellow;NZL;ENG;X to
NZL;DarkYellow;NZL;AST;X

Note that there are no cavalry sprites for Japan, Portugal, Canada or British Raj in any of the packs.

Reactions:
Can you also adapt the airplane sprites from Mod1914? That would be awesome.

All that's needed for those sprites is to rename the files in a few cases.