• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hm, does the "Air Scramble" type of mission save fuel as well? Also, will you combine battleships with aircraft carriers in one fleet?

Hm, does the "Air Scramble" type of mission save fuel as well? Also, will you combine battleships with aircraft carriers in one fleet?
As stated before, Air Scrambling saves oil. The wings take off only if enemy planes are detected. But it is only for the province with the airport and the adjacent ones.
Regarding the 2nd question, I don't know what I will do in the future yet. As for now, no; the Graf Zeppelin still doesn't have any CAG attached. And she won't have any in a foreseeable future (I don't have researched a correct model yet).

Great AAR you are certainly better skilled at DH than me. I've managed to take pretty much the historical route up until just before barbarossa. I just cannot defeat the SOV in WIF 2. Once my initiative dies out I'm dead.

My balance of Air Power and Ground Forces is just wrong.

Although I've learned from HOI 3 and DH that AA is very cheap and effective in protecting IC cluster of provinces.

AA is even more effective in DH since you can go above 10 IC per province essentially focussing all the IC in one place with AA and other planes.

Isn't it like intercept from HOI3? with a variable distance?
I have no idea. I gave up on HOI3 in 2009, and I don't have time to try again for now.

Great AAR you are certainly better skilled at DH than me. I've managed to take pretty much the historical route up until just before barbarossa. I just cannot defeat the SOV in WIF 2. Once my initiative dies out I'm dead.

My balance of Air Power and Ground Forces is just wrong.

Although I've learned from HOI 3 and DH that AA is very cheap and effective in protecting IC cluster of provinces.

AA is even more effective in DH since you can go above 10 IC per province essentially focussing all the IC in one place with AA and other planes.
I may say that I am effectively above the average player. But you will still have to wait for Barbarossa to make a comparison between you and me :)

No4EGkb.jpg

Last edited:

Static AA are indeed cheap and very effective if you don't forget to researsh the techs. With them, you can invest less or later in fighter's/interceptor's wings.
The casuality inflicted to enemies bomber are huge when your loss are limited to a few mens. The higher is the AA level, better is your ratio. Since AI loves bombing single units, and HQ even more, put a single HQ with AA brigade on a lvl 10 AA province and see what happens!

Nice tip for the "Air scramble mission". I will try it too in my current game :)

Weserübung seems very risky to me, due to the possibility of losing a lot of ships and aircraft, not to mention getting distracted from the inevitable thing that needs to happen in the West...

(and then having to garrison the place and constantly worry that the AI will try something stupid while you have your hands full with Barbarossa)

Hmm, never thought about 2 sets of AI for China. But I guess that you would need 2 sets of AI for Japan as a consequence, and the problem would be the same. Nevertheless, you have perhaps a valid point here. People better than me could perhaps look at it.
Garrisoning the Pacific Islands, building fortifications or airfields was prohibited by treaties. That mod was perhaps forced, but not invalid by far :)

Pretty much so. And why a game that exists for so long wasn´t modded that way, I dunno. Messing with the files I maanged to make Japan build carriers. Through it doesn´t research as much as it should them.

Also, many countries are programmed to ignore some sea zones. UK, hilariously, isn´t forced in its AI to ignore the baltic and Denmark´s coast... And it´s another thing I will mod in my game.

Last edited:
Pretty much so. And why a game that exists for so long wasn´t modded that way, I dunno. Messing with the files I maanged to make Japan build carriers. Through it doesn´t research as much as it should them.

Also, many countries are programmed to ignore some sea zones. UK, hilariously, isn´t forced in its AI to ignore the baltic and Denmark´s coast... And it´s another thing I will mod in my game.

That is very interesting, how do you mod the AI to not interest itself in Baltic and Denmark's coast or for that matter any zone???

Now, I haven´t actually tried it yet but if you check some AI files, near the end of them there are commands to ignore seazones. If they actually work in game, it´s something only a modder can answer.

Weserübung seems very risky to me, due to the possibility of losing a lot of ships and aircraft, not to mention getting distracted from the inevitable thing that needs to happen in the West...

(and then having to garrison the place and constantly worry that the AI will try something stupid while you have your hands full with Barbarossa)
I will follow the historical path until Fall Gelb, as stated before. I would be very surprised to lose any aircraft but I can't say unfortunately the same about the ships. I will have to strike and win as fast as possible before moving the Kriegsmarine safely in the Baltic Sea. we will see. But there is no way to reproduce the strategic surprise that was the invasion of Norway. 1-The German unloaded troops in a sneaky way from civilian cargos. 2-They used gliders and paratroopers to capture Oslo, and it is too far from any German base presently, even with the ones that I have built meanwhile at the Danish border. 3-They assaulted Bergen from the sea, and this province (with its VP) has no beach in DH. 4- It took a while for the British to start their intervention, but a AI fleet can leave its harbor in an instant notice in DH.
If the British AI wants to do something stupid in Norway while I am doing Barbarossa, this is perfectly fine with me. If it does something smart, well...it is smart and I won't complain :)

Now, I haven´t actually tried it yet but if you check some AI files, near the end of them there are commands to ignore seazones. If they actually work in game, it´s something only a modder can answer.
It works and that is something I thought about a long time ago. Ideally, the British should avoid the Baltic Sea until Copenhagen is German. After that, if the Royal Navy can enter the Baltic Sea, it will be because the Allies are already in force in Denmark and/or Northern Germany. IIRC, it would have to be an AI switch.

Precisely.

BTW if anyone here ever wants to play as allies, I´m having some success improving Japan and China´s balance and build order and make it a challenge to fight the japs :)

It's refreshing to see the Japanese AI actually doing something worthwhile for a change. It'd also be interesting to see them trying to invade Australia but I don't think it'll happen.

Interesting game indeed. I am looking forward to how you handle France, because I always had trouble with it (because the province layout in the old HoI2 map didn't really allow me to do what the Germans did in OTL).

And good to see that Czech tanks are considered superior models :D

Considering the AI Japan is scripted, I think they actually are programmed to only go for China.

Not that is bad when playing Germany as if they beat the Chinese they will be great help on the land war. Are you sending blueprints to them?

BTW, was considering the air wing size, and IMO it would be better if you made 12 wing stacks. Why? Yes, the stacking bônus will bite a bit, sure.

But

If the extra damage means that by the first or second hour you have already removed all ORG of a wing or two, thus preventing it to fire back, it was worth it. After all battles aren´t only about damage, but also organization.

Last edited:
Norway did a lot of damage to the Kriegsmarine, but it also made the British look stupid. Surely you'll be able to do better than that.