• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You're quite right, the rebels can rapidly increase in size and strength, a few good leaders and I could be facing a major loss. The issue with Ireland and Orkney is that they are all relatively low base tax provinces; they are not going to make a huge difference to either my income or my manpower. Orkney is also still a part of the powerful Kalmar Union, which for now is an adequate deterrent for me.

This early in the game, and with the importance of conserving your forces to beat the English, I'd suggest accepting rebel demands sometimes instead of fighting them, especially for large forces. As for Ireland, while their provinces aren't the richest, they aren't too bad, and Scotland needs all the help it can get! They also add to your power in the London trade node.

Hi Seelmeister,

Just popping in to let you know that I've nominated you for this week's Weekly AAR Showcase. I'm sure you'd have seen it anyway eventually, but protocol and all... ;)

Congratulations!

I've already thanksed you in the award thread, but thanks again Densley!

A wonderful AAR, congrats on the award as it is well deserved!

Thank you, and welcome Avindian!

Indeed it is! Congrats!

Thank you!

This is a very good AAR! Congrats on the award!

Thanks homy_dog, and welcome!

This early in the game, and with the importance of conserving your forces to beat the English, I'd suggest accepting rebel demands sometimes instead of fighting them, especially for large forces. As for Ireland, while their provinces aren't the richest, they aren't too bad, and Scotland needs all the help it can get! They also add to your power in the London trade node.

Welcome! Scotland will face rebel problems of her own in the future, and the potential consequences of a heavy loss could be disastrous if it allows the English to undo my progress. Fortunately, the choice between accepting rebel demands and facing defeat against the English is not an issue in the near future...

xdu1.jpg

The reign of Charles I and the Second Anglo-Scottish War 1464 – 1485

Our story resumes in February 1464, and as before England finds itself in a perilous situation. From the Midlands north, the Kingdom is occupied by various rebel factions, from disorganised peasants to religious heretics. Charles is keen to build on the successes of his father , and has fabricated a claim on the province on Lancashire.

The 12,000 strong Royal Army is mobilised at Northumberland, and on the first of April Charles I orders them south. Although smaller English forces have been reported by our merchants in the channel, there is little resistance initially and after capturing York Charles opts to divide his force to rapidly gain control of the north of England. A small force of 3,000 begin the siege of Lancashire, the Scottish war goal, while 10,000 march south into the heart of England.

ke1z.jpg
The start of the Second Anglo-Scottish War​

Charles decides to make a bold statement of intent. Gathering the 10,000 men now free, he marches south and lays siege to London. The arrival of the Scots army at London's walls has little impact on England however, as the capital has already fallen to heretic rebels. The weakened garrison cannot hold for long, lacking the support of the populace, and by March 1466 Charles and his army accept the surrender of the city. The capture of London gives the campaign a huge boost, going some way to negate the affect of the English blockade which drags down my war score.

With the capital in Scottish hands, Charles returns north and divides his forces. Two armies of 5,000 begin sieges at Lincoln and Derby, while the smaller force of 3,000 men continues to starve Lancashire into submission. The wider civil war appears to have entered a more passive stage; although much of England remains under rebel occupation, there are no loyalist, peasant or heretic forces roaming the country. This speaks to the exhaustion experienced by the country throughout the conflict – I'd imagine manpower is heavily depleted by now.

4oh4.jpg
Advance as of July 1466​

With little to divert our attention, the occupation of England gathers pace throughout 1467 as first Lincoln and then Derby fall to our armies. Lancashire still hold out, and so Charles sends the bulk of his force to bolster the siege, increasing the attacking army to some 9,000 men. The remaining 4,000 of the Scottish army are divided into two smaller groups, and sent to capture Oxford and Norfolk. Using such small armies is a risk, but I want to make faster progress in this war.

By October 1467 both smaller armies have formed breaches in Oxford and Norfolk, but Lancashire continues to hold out and the fortress remains firm. In rebel held England the civil war has again erupted into life, and 9,000 heretics have advanced to Derby and attempt to recapture the central town. As of this date, the war score stands at 48% in my favour.

q2qs.jpg
Heretics in Derby​

Initially I don't move any armies in response to this development, and by the turn of the year first Oxford and then, at long last, Lancashire fall to our armies. Charles combines his larger force with the small 2,000 detachment returning from Oxford, and attacks the heretics. Of the 9,000 rebels, only 2,000 are cavalry, which compares favourably with our own force of 11,000. The revolutionary pastor, the suspiciously Scottish sounding Ian Crawford, is fortunately not much of a leader and the battle is won handily. Save attrition, these are the first 2,000 casualties of the campaign so far.

puuv.jpg
Battle of Derby​

With the rebel threat quelled for the time being, our armies return to the occupation. Norfolk falls in early 1468 and we lay siege to Essex, Gloucestershire and the Marches. At this point, our war score has reached 66% and England are willing to concede Lancashire, Yorkshire and Lincoln to us, as well as surrender Labourd to the French and pay a small indemnity. This would represent a huge victory, but Charles I has two issues with the proposed peace. Firstly, we face no war exhaustion, there is little rebel threat and the English are still far from recovery. There really is no need to make peace at this stage. Secondly, and crucially, if England are forced to cede Labroud they will have surrendered their last continental possession. As we continue to rely on our alliance with the French, it would not be helpful to remove the reason for their antagonism towards the English. Therefore, we do not negotiate.

War is pursued for a few more weeks, and Charles I himself negotiates new terms in April 1468. England will cede Yorkshire, Lancashire and Lincoln as originally proposed, but they will also surrender the central town of Derby. This would reduce England to just eight southern provinces, and the overseas holdings of Meath and Labroud, shifting the balance of power in the British Isles decisively in Scotland's direction. The only real downside of this peace is that we have handed control of much of England back to the crown, and with no rebel armies in the field Scotland may have ended the bloody English Civil War.

b5mu.jpg
The punitive Peace of Derby, signed in 1468.​

In response to the imposition of such a punitive peace, England forms a coalition against us. Scottish diplomats depart to our neighbours to ensure that this diplomatic scheme comes to nothing. Regrettably, one casualty of Scotland's new reputation is the tentative attempts to draw Cornwall into an alliance; they now consider us a threat and have designated Scotland as a rival. This will make any diplomatic understanding impossible.

The end of wars in the British Isles, both internal and external, ushers in the first real peace for many decades. England successfully re-establish control of what is left of their kingdom, while a revolt is put down in the Cornish Kingdom. Scottish merchants take an ever greater share of London's wealth, althought we are still dwarfed by the English presence. In 1475, the process of integrating Munster begins. Diplomats are busy trying to secure Leinster as a vassal, while the long term goal of improving Scotland's standing with France continues. Munster, our vassal, agree to begin the gradual process of integration into the kingdom.

e8e9.jpg
Integration of Munster​

However, just as Scotland is looking to expand her control over the Isles, England finally feels strong enough to begin to expand. A border dispute close to Devon soon spills over into war, and although initially suffering embarrassing setbacks and seeing London threatened by the Cornish, by late 1476 England is beginning to turn the tide. Cornwall still refuse all offers of Scottish diplomatic and material assistance, and Charles is not minded to launch his own war against England with our reputation already so damaged.

By 1478 the English have retaken the border cities, and have advanced to the Cornish capital. We also uncover a plot to establish an English claim in Ireland, and more worryingly still the English have expanded their army to 17,000 men, 4,000 larger than our own. By July, this force has swelled to 20,000 and has overrun most of the Cornish Kingdom, and before the end of 1478 their all too brief independence is brought to an end.

rcah.jpg
Cornwall surrenders​

Following the re-expansion of England, an uneasy peace hangs over the British Isles. Scotland is slightly poorer and cannot support an army as large as England, but the protection of France is enough to discourage any English attempt to regain their lost lands. In 1479, Charles orders the recruitment of Scotland's first cannon. If we are not able to match English numbers, it is critical that we have a high quality army capable of holding back our more numerous foe. The improvement in the financial situation allows for the steady construction of temples throughout the land, which slowly increase our income further. Eventually, we will be able to support a large army and navy.

q904.jpg
Economic ideas advance.​

With further adventures abroad ruled out for the time being, Charles turns his attention to the growth of his Kingdoms wealth. A focus on economic development will help to close the gap with our southern rival, and to this end the crown unveils a focus on more efficient commerce, centred on the growing city of Edinburgh.

As this new wealth begins to flow into the Crown's coffers, the strength of the monarchy chokes off the influence of Scotland's other factions. This encourages tensions which eventually boils over into conflict between the clergy and the nobles. Charles comes down firmly on the side of the nobles, signalling a significant change in the relationship between Rome and Scotland. With the Pope focused on developments closer to home, Charles reduces the influence of the Catholic Church on Scottish life, sowing the seeds of future heresies.

96xf.jpg
Conflict between the Clergy and Nobility.​

This gulf slowly widens, and by 1484 Scotland has lost control of her Cardinal, and with it the last vestiges of influence over the Papal conclave. Sensing an opportunity to further undermine the clergy, who still hold swath over substantial resources in the kingdom, Charles revokes some of the privileges that come with the cloth. Relations with the Papacy are irrevocably damaged, but the clergy are so weakened that they stand little chance of undermining the Crown.

zrlc.jpg
The breaking of the relationship between the Scottish Crown and Rome.​

It is not only the Papacy who take offence to Charles' bold action, but so do our Catholic neighbours. Relations with England, already at rock bottom, and inconsequential anyway, but more damagingly we lose face with the Irish minors. The ultimate result of this is that, in April 1485, Leinster are driven into the arms of the English and swear fealty to our enemy. The battle for influence in Ireland has, then, not gone entirely in our favour.

An ageing Charles makes one final decision which will have long term repercussions for the kingdom. In August 1485, the very first license for exploration is granted to a wealthy merchant from Aberdeen...

9rnr.jpg
Onwards to Darien...​

Reflections

The reign of Charles was a very interesting one indeed. A huge victory of England moved us much closer to parity, Scotland is not far from being a match for a full strength England for the first time in her history. There have also been significant developments in the relationship between the Scottish crown and the Church, as well as the tentative first step towards the New World. It was not the perfect reign, however. Charles managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in terms of securing the loyalty of Leinster – at one point we had relations up to +175 with an alliance and royal marriage, but our expansion was just too aggressive to secure our second vassal. The same is true of the loss of Cornwall. Had the kingdom accepted a Scottish alliance, it is likely that England could have been defeated again during the lifetime of Charles. As it is, they have reclaimed their land and now boast a slightly larger army, and retain the vastly superior navy. Many opportunities, but many opportunities missed as well...

Darien! Brilliant!

That said, seeing England in such a state does pain me somewhat. Derby would actually be my 'home province', as it were, so be a benevolent ruler! ;) I must admit though, as much as i enjoy seeing you play a masterful Scotland campaign, I'm sort of rooting for any rebels who may decide it would be a good idea to try and reconnect the Southern Territories with England by force...

Who am I kidding? I think now, if anything, I'd like to see you get all of Great Britain under your control. Once you've committed to expanding the frontier that far south, you have to go all the way. ;)

Darien! Brilliant!

With Scotland having such a fine colonial record, I couldn't possibly ignore the jewel in the crown!

I must admit though, as much as i enjoy seeing you play a masterful Scotland campaign, I'm sort of rooting for any rebels who may decide it would be a good idea to try and reconnect the Southern Territories with England by force...

Who am I kidding? I think now, if anything, I'd like to see you get all of Great Britain under your control. Once you've committed to expanding the frontier that far south, you have to go all the way. ;)

Well, you'll be relieved to know that I am not on an even trajectory to domination of the isles. There are some very real setbacks in the future, so coming updates should be a little more dramatic. These first two wars were not against a kingdom who could muster any sort of resistance, but now England can field an army again which will check future progress.

That said, seeing England in such a state does pain me somewhat. Derby would actually be my 'home province', as it were, so be a benevolent ruler! ;)

Then welcome to your home my friend! Blair is a Scottish name anyway... :p (I have no way of knowing whether your forum nickname is based at all on your name, but I figure there must be some connection!)

(I have no way of knowing whether your forum nickname is based at all on your name, but I figure there must be some connection!)

Sadly not – Densley Blair is a pseudonym under which I wrote a short story a few years ago (merely for my own benefit.) I loved the name so much that it stuck. To me it sounds wonderfully Victorian. ;)

I'm not actually aware of any Scottish connections in the family. I'm half Welsh, and I have Irish family, but I know of no Scots...

You've done well depriving England of a lot of its territory. This causes me some discomfort (I'm an Anglophile at heart), but it's for the greater good of Scotland. Looking forward to the stunning success of your Darien adventures. ;)

Oh, and you're sowing the seeds for the Scottish Reformation. Should prove to be interesting. Perhaps you can show the Catholic English the errors of their Papist ways in the future? If they won't listen to reason, well, I guess you'll have to take their remaining lands in protective custody then.

Subscribed. Great AAR, hopefully the evil Brits will be destroyed. But please treat the Irish well! Perhaps you can mod in a decision to form Grand Caledonia?

Sadly not – Densley Blair is a pseudonym under which I wrote a short story a few years ago (merely for my own benefit.) I loved the name so much that it stuck. To me it sounds wonderfully Victorian. ;)

I'm not actually aware of any Scottish connections in the family. I'm half Welsh, and I have Irish family, but I know of no Scots...

Fair enough, it's far better than the pseudonym I've ended up with on these forums, if I could travel back to 2004 and slap some sense into my teenage self!

I've subscribed. It seems to be going great so far, hope we get to see Scotland leading the Enlightenment and trade.

Thanks very much! These early updates have been very focused on survival and war, I hope to bring you all much more varied updates throughout this AAR.

You've done well depriving England of a lot of its territory. This causes me some discomfort (I'm an Anglophile at heart), but it's for the greater good of Scotland. Looking forward to the stunning success of your Darien adventures. ;)

Oh, and you're sowing the seeds for the Scottish Reformation. Should prove to be interesting. Perhaps you can show the Catholic English the errors of their Papist ways in the future? If they won't listen to reason, well, I guess you'll have to take their remaining lands in protective custody then.

You won't have too long to wait until some Darien-esque adventures, although I hope the similarity are limited :) Religion will certainly play an increasing role in shaping Scotland's future, I'm glad I was able to give a nod to some of the early seeds.

Subscribed, look forward to reading the rest of this AAR!

Thank you very much and welcome to the AAR!

Very interesting so far. A scottish dominated British Isles is looking and sounding quite nice!

There is still a lot of work to be done, but Scotland is slowly approaching parity with England. As the rest of the British Isles fall under the influence of one or another of these powers, both Scotland and England will be unable to take much action beyond the defence of their own realms, at least until a sustainable balance of power is reached. There is no concept of mutually assured destruction in Renaissance Britain - so will the Scots realise that the only way to secure their borders is to comprehensively defeat England?

Subscribed. Great AAR, hopefully the evil Brits will be destroyed. But please treat the Irish well! Perhaps you can mod in a decision to form Grand Caledonia?

Welcome! I've not modded any aspect of the game as I'm playing in Ironman mode unfortunately, but I did consider added some items such as flags and perhaps some flavour events.

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions, I enjoy reading every one of them so please don't be shy :) Work has kept me away from my writing for the last few weeks, but I managed some playtime at the weekend and I'm working on the next update as we speak.

Fair enough, it's far better than the pseudonym I've ended up with on these forums, if I could travel back to 2004 and slap some sense into my teenage self!

Ha! Well, I must admit I'm surprised at how much I've come to use the name. I must've been about nine or ten when I came up with it, and yet I still like it today! :)

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions, I enjoy reading every one of them so please don't be shy :) Work has kept me away from my writing for the last few weeks, but I managed some playtime at the weekend and I'm working on the next update as we speak.

Wonderful news! I've been looking forward to more Caledonian adventures for a good while now.

The Grand Caledonia came from an EU3 mod titled 'World in Turmoil' by ATBKing. He basically separated all the countries apart, including Scotland, added the start date of 1300, and made it possible for Scotland to form Grand Caledonia. My favorite mod, personally.

Why thank you for the Kind words, GreatUberGeek. Its good to see so many familiar names on my near 6 month absence from the forums!! Grand Caledonia was my Favorite too!! And as a gift, I present the flag I used for Grand Caledonia!

RSWs7lP.png

And Seel, I am glad to see that it is you doing a Scottish AAR!! I could not do mine, and you are already doing a more then fine Job! Please keep up the Great Work!! Congrats on the award and I look forward to more!!

Ha! Well, I must admit I'm surprised at how much I've come to use the name. I must've been about nine or ten when I came up with it, and yet I still like it today! :)

Wonderful news! I've been looking forward to more Caledonian adventures for a good while now.

Thank you for your kind words Densley, as always!

The Grand Caledonia came from an EU3 mod titled 'World in Turmoil' by ATBKing. He basically separated all the countries apart, including Scotland, added the start date of 1300, and made it possible for Scotland to form Grand Caledonia. My favorite mod, personally.

Sounds very interesting, reminds me of the Fantasia scenario from EUII in some ways.

Why thank you for the Kind words, GreatUberGeek. Its good to see so many familiar names on my near 6 month absence from the forums!! Grand Caledonia was my Favorite too!! And as a gift, I present the flag I used for Grand Caledonia!

And Seel, I am glad to see that it is you doing a Scottish AAR!! I could not do mine, and you are already doing a more then fine Job! Please keep up the Great Work!! Congrats on the award and I look forward to more!!

Welcome onboard ATBKing, it's great to see you posting again!

All, apologies for a lengthy absence from this AAR. I'm now resolved to getting back to the story, and will be posting the next update this afternoon. I have played up until the 1700s, although that was with an old version of the game - I've yet to see what effect recent patches and Conquest of Paradise will have when I load this up. In any case, there is an abundance of material still to cover, so I'll start by catching up!

urVdmAa.jpg

James III and the Quest for the New World; 1487 – 1503

On the first of January 1487 the elderly Charles I died peacefully in his sleep, and the throne passes to his skilled son James, becoming James III of Scotland. The new Monarch's priorities remain those of his father – the integration of Munster and increasing the Crown's revenues. However, for the first time in decades, the English crown has regained control of their country. James III will face a strong rival, eager for revenge and the recovery of her lands.

pjPfnvv.jpg
The coronation of James III​

Early in James' reign, the various factions of the kingdom attempt to stamp their authority on the crown. The nobles make noise about regaining privileges lost during the centralisation, while the clergy look to try and revise their sharp decline under Charles. While the challenge from the nobles and occupied much of the new monarchs time. Following the success of his father, James enjoys the backing of a great many of the landlords in the wealthy lowlands, as well as the emerging merchant class in Edinburgh. Nevertheless, the new monarch must devote time and energy to ensuring an orderly succession, and crucially ensuring that his authority is recognised by all in the realm.

n4XLAtF.jpg
James' compromise with the nobility​

The wars of his predecessors have done much to close the wealth gap between Scotland and her southern neighbour. The expansion into Ireland and Northumbria, coupled with a strengthening of trade, has boosted the Kingdom’s income to 13,500 ducats per month, a significant achievement in a relatively short space of time. England remains wealthier, however, and as they emerge from the extreme instability of recent years their income will rise quickly. Scotland still has much for fear.

ehr0n0h.jpg
Incomes of Europe compared; a gap remains between the Scottish and English.​

The first few years of James’ reign focus on improving income in the realm. In 1490, James’ presides over important reforms that will improve the efficiency of the administration. Rather than rely on the nobility to collect taxation and administer the local courts, Edinburgh will fund the royal purse directly. This produces an immediate increase in the states revenues, and it is hoped that as these reforms spread throughout the realm, further increase will be possible in the future.

On the 22nd March 1490, the longstanding negotiations with the Duchy of Munster are concluded. Conall Crichton has secured the agreement of the Duke for a formal integration into the Kingdom of Scotland. Some powers will remain with the local nobility, and not a small amount of gold had to change hands to secure the agreement, but the integration expands Scottish influence in Ireland. The entire west coast, from Tyrone to Munster, are now directly ruled by the Scottish realm.

1fs46aE.jpg
Political Map 1490​

The High Council in Edinburgh strongly advise James to continue to extend our influence in Ireland. Securing an agreement with Leinster will bring four fifths of Ireland under our control, and leave the English city in Dublin isolated. However, the young King is keen to establish his own legacy, rather than just concentrate on continuing that of his father. James declares confidently that it is a matter of time until all of Ireland is under Scottish control, and that resources do not need to be concentrated on this. Rather, the King is determined to follow ancient Norse rumours of a mysterious land over the waves. Establishing a Scottish presence in the mysterious world would confer huge advantages on the Kingdom – and with English, Portuguese and Castilian sailors already active on the high seas, the Kingdom could not afford to be left behind.

The Council was sceptical, but the King enjoyed the passionate support of the merchant class, who were eager to explore the possibility of expanding their market, and securing first rights to the exotic goods which would surely be abundant. The King resolved to found a board of trade, who would provide financial support and insurance for all those who undertook increase the knowledge of the west.

lRnPOuL.jpg
Quest for the New World​

By securing the merchants as his strongest allies, James also felt emboldened to further reduce the autonomy of the rebellious nobility in the north wet of the country. The Black Douglas, whose authority was already vastly reduced, was firmly curtailed, improving the stability of the most unruly parts of his realm.

In October 1491 the new board of trade has successfully pooled enough resources to outfit the first Scottish expedition to search for a new world. Keir Selkirk, a capable young captain, is chosen to lead the exploration efforts. James, determined to show his support, offers the newly outfitted Royal Barque the Providence of Dundee as the fleets flagship.

The fleet departs Edinburgh amid much fanfare, and James does his best to encourage the popularity among the populace. A court painter is hired with a commission to capture the historic moment, bringing prestige to the Royal household and increasing the stability of the lands.

2CRsleI.jpg
The court painter hired by James proved costly, but brought prestige and stability​

Although popular, the move wipes out the Kingdoms reserves, and the Crown is forced to borrow from the merchants of Edinburgh. Thus begins a long and complicated relationship between the Crown and her new financiers of choice.

By the end of 1492, Keir Selkirk returns to Edinburgh in triumph. The Providence of Dundee docks at Leith, and brings news of a new island discovered across the great ocean. The heavily wooded island did not appear inhabited, but a number of strange animals were spotted. The climate was bitterly cold, far colder than the worst of Scottish winters. Nevertheless, the discovery was greeted enthusiastically by the public, who immediately began to volunteer in large numbers to sail and establish a Scottish colony.

fH1872q.jpg
Discovery of Newfoundland​

From the continent, ill news reaches the royal court in April 1493. Constantinople, the last great holding of the Byzantine Empire, has fallen to the Turkish. The descendants of Rome have long stood against the Saracens, holding up their passage into Europe, but the Empire had long decayed beyond the point of being viable, and its fall was perceived by many as a matter of time. Large numbers of refugees were displaced, and James was eager to welcome as many as possible to Edinburgh. Bringing their manuscripts and knowledge of the classics, they would make an important contribution to Scottish technological advancement.

From closer to home, more worrying news reaches the court in August 1494. Scottish lukewarm attempts to entice Leinster into an alliance have fallen flat – the Duchy have instead sworn fealty to the English crown, and already diplomats from London are working to integrate the land. The balance of power once against swings towards the English, and James’ complacency proves to be his undoing.

The news in not greeted well in Edinburgh, where concern grows that it must be a matter of time until the English march to reclaim their lost lands. Two units of artillery are recruited and added to the Royal Army, now 15,000 men strong. The expectation of an invasion proves ill founded, however, and over the next three years the fears gradually abate.
By 1497, the merchants have gathered the necessary funds to outfit a second expedition to the island of Newfoundland. The second expedition will be complemented by two ships of settlers, with a Royal commission to establish a Scottish colony on the east coast.

6o6VdBE.jpg
The First Expedition to Newfoundland​

By July, a small settlement has been founded, and it is soon discovered that the island is not uninhabited as was first thought. The natives of the island are a primitive people, leading a nomadic life in the deep forests. James sends word that contact should be established with the natives, and a small tribute is provided to establish a trade proposal.
Slowly, as the new settlement expands, new trade goods begin to flow back towards the North Sea, where Scottish merchants are well placed to take advantage of the slight increase in wealth. In a further move designed to appease the merchants, James grants a wealth of licences allowing merchants and nobles to export directly, rather than being subject to the royal monopoly.

V0jxzuO.jpg
Export licences boosted trade between Scotland and Norway​

By 1498, Scottish income has risen to over 17,000 ducats per month. The wealth of Edinburgh brings benefits throughout the Kingdom, and advances are made in military and administrative technology. James remains nervous, as England’s recovery is well and truly underway. Spies believe that their income has risen to at least 18,000 ducats per month, while they remain more populous and able to field large armies.

James looks for support against an eventual English attack, and secures a new royal marriage with the Kingdom of France by bequeathing the hand of his young daughter to the French dauphine.
f1ORug7.jpg
Royal marriage with France, a traditional enemy of England​

James also gives instructions for the increased royal revenues to be reinvested in increasing the efficiency of the state’s administration throughout the Kingdom, which will overtime boost their revenues. Overseas expansion and internal development in tandem will ensure that Scotland remains capable of resisting any future English acts of aggression.

In 1500, the Trade Board commission a second exploratory expedition. A new ship, again led by Keir Selkirk, will explore the seas to the north of Scottish Newfoundland. The settlement now numbers almost 500 persons, while income has steadily increased. New furs are proving to be popular in European markets, and demand far, far outstrips supply. Already many clamour for further settlements to be established.

The influx of Byzantine thinkers, and the rapid technological progress which followed, greatly increased the number of Scottish philosophers. It was not long until this new enlightened class came into conflict with the established church. James, disdainful of the clergy and their unwavering loyalty to Rome, sides firmly with the philosopher, refusing all demands to condemn the heresy.

FFfewZy.jpg
Heretic Philosopher​

The positive relations established with the natives in Newfoundland, or Beothuk in the native tongue, soon lead to a closer cooperation with the colonists. 100 settle permanently in the city, bringing with them greater knowledge of local agriculture and boosting the food supply. Now 890 ducats worth of furs are being shipped back to Scotland each month, contributing to an almost 50% rise in Scottish trade income. In early 1503, the colony has finally grown to sufficient size to be considered a city, while eager explorers search for new ground suitable for settlement.

Good progress there! The colonies will surely benefit the realm. Your game is played without CoP I guess, so no colonial nations will be seen?