• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Everything seems mor or less perfect in that Byz game. Too bad you didn't make an AAR. Or did you?

XS2AJSD.jpg

A Grand War for dismantling Austria will commence with the hopes of Prussia having sole dominance of the imperial crown.

1. Nope, no AAR, sorry. While I love writing, I'm also a full time Geology student and spend all my PDox related free time mostly just playing. Though up until the fall of the Ottomans, I made a few posts throughout this page on the game.

2. Wouldn't say perfect... that coalition war in the 1700s kicked me pretty hard in the teeth, and I almost rage quit. For me, a "perfect" game would've been to retake all of the former Roman lands. Instead I was super cautious about starting anything in Europe, had zero luck with PUs, and when I finally did muster up the courage to try and push west I overstepped my bounds, got hit with coalitions, and... yeah. In retrospect, I should've started earlier. Austria was very, very weak for a long time (they were constantly swamped with wars... even with Hungary integrated, they were struggling), and had I bit the bullet and broke my alliances with them and Serbia I could've made an honest push into Europe. Still probably would've hit a French/Spanish wall. I'm still very proud of my empire, wasn't too long ago there was a post basically wondering if Trebizond is an impossible country to start as, and I not only took that little nation on the rump end of the Ottoman Empire but managed to survive, thrive, and become one of the de facto powers of the world.

3. Ah, so basically it's now like the starting situation of Vicky II? Don't know who they have on their side, but it looks like it shouldn't be a difficult war. Austria looks like it's been mostly contained, you've blobbed nicely, and Spain is on your side. Unless they're bringing in France or the Ottomans, the war will be Prussia's to lose.

Everything seems mor or less perfect in that Byz game. Too bad you didn't make an AAR. Or did you?

XS2AJSD.jpg

A Grand War for dismantling Austria will commence with the hopes of Prussia having sole dominance of the imperial crown.

Coalitions? My 1660 Prussia is a bit bigger (ready to form Germany), but coalition against me is scary -- Austria, HRE minors, Spain, France, Hungary, Ottomans(!), Poland, Lithuania.
GB is my only ally and little Bohemia is in PU.

My precious Kongo. Two provinces (both Algiers) away from "African power" achievement. Allied with Muscowy. Took Ottomans african possessions away by alliying Austria, HRE, Hungary and Muscowy. It was close to one million men against his 250k. Austria did the sieging though, had almost all provinces north of Constantinople when i got the provinces that i needed :)
tcVGwVK.jpg

Less than 80 years before the above image it looked like this in Africa. At this point i was almost sure i wouldn't be able to make the achievement but luckily everyone in Europe were in constant wars and first i allied France and HRE and took Spains holdings. After that i took the portuguese holdings and lastly french holdings. In between those wars i DOWd the coalition of Algiers, Morocco, Mamluks and Swahili and took provinces.
ihOVuIL.jpg

Last edited:
1. Nope, no AAR, sorry. While I love writing, I'm also a full time Geology student and spend all my PDox related free time mostly just playing. Though up until the fall of the Ottomans, I made a few posts throughout this page on the game.

2. Wouldn't say perfect... that coalition war in the 1700s kicked me pretty hard in the teeth, and I almost rage quit. For me, a "perfect" game would've been to retake all of the former Roman lands. Instead I was super cautious about starting anything in Europe, had zero luck with PUs, and when I finally did muster up the courage to try and push west I overstepped my bounds, got hit with coalitions, and... yeah. In retrospect, I should've started earlier. Austria was very, very weak for a long time (they were constantly swamped with wars... even with Hungary integrated, they were struggling), and had I bit the bullet and broke my alliances with them and Serbia I could've made an honest push into Europe. Still probably would've hit a French/Spanish wall. I'm still very proud of my empire, wasn't too long ago there was a post basically wondering if Trebizond is an impossible country to start as, and I not only took that little nation on the rump end of the Ottoman Empire but managed to survive, thrive, and become one of the de facto powers of the world.

3. Ah, so basically it's now like the starting situation of Vicky II? Don't know who they have on their side, but it looks like it shouldn't be a difficult war. Austria looks like it's been mostly contained, you've blobbed nicely, and Spain is on your side. Unless they're bringing in France or the Ottomans, the war will be Prussia's to lose.

Looking at your game against I'm extremely surprised Japan didn't blob and Ming didn't fall apart... Spain is definitely the new big yellow.

Austria's main allies are Poland Lithuania and Russia, but their tech is so far down they don't stand a chance against Prussia/Spain Troops. I'm going to try and secure an alliance with Sweden and Hungary to balance this.

I like that your Byzantine save file is titled "Oh Shit" :D

Byzantine is extremely difficult this time around :( I managed to get some pretty good borders until I westernized. That save is all about rebels popping up everywhere on the map. Extreme low prestige and low stability... Maybe I can cancel westernization? That would be nice.

Coalitions? My 1660 Prussia is a bit bigger (ready to form Germany), but coalition against me is scary -- Austria, HRE minors, Spain, France, Hungary, Ottomans(!), Poland, Lithuania.
GB is my only ally and little Bohemia is in PU.

I allowed around 10-25 years to pass, containing myself to small liberation wars and just smacking armies down and helping allies and bringing most HRE minors on my side. My coalition is extremely small consisting of only Austria and the Netherlands.

Interesting note for my game. Ottoman Empire is Orthodox?

Last edited:
My Tyrone (Irish) save. Fantastic round, so much weird stuff going on :eek:

Had a really nice headstart when Munster occupied Connaught and I immediately got a claim towards them which Scottland joined for together with France. France actually invaded England and forced them to release a country (Cornwall?), which I immediately attacked and seized. Unfortunately England (and Portugal together with their junior union partner Castille.... god, I hate the iberian countries in EU IV) turned one me bc of religious differences, but I somehow survived ... and switched my religion asap.

I tried colonizing the caribbean, but every major country except for France immediately set me as Rival and in 1600 I was attacked by the whole world except for Denmark and France basically even though I had zero AE ~ Fortunately the AI was too stupid to handle their colonies, so I just seized them (and held onto the WG) and actually gained a few provinces, even though we were massively outnumbered in troops. The AI, oh my :rolleyes:

Afterwards Portugal only joined in on wars when I attacked England, which was really hard bc they were allied to Austria - who had Muscovy as union partner. So I always had to wait till Austria (Ally of mine es well after 1650~) and I were at war on the same side before immediately attacking England. I also tried too prevent Castille from seizing Aragon so they couldn't form Spain until Aragon became a subject of Naples.

These marriage unions are a freaking joke btw. Austria and Muscovy (which basically was Russia but I guess they couldn't switch because they were in a union) together is just insane. Thats the main reason France was completely crippled in my game. They couldn't even get all their cores and if Bretagne had become my vassal (alwys missed 2-3 diplomacy points...) I would have actually invaded them. One time I was forced to go to war with France, Austria and Muscovy because the game told me my ruler "did not want" France to have The Provence as union partner .... what a joke.

But the best thing was Saxony claiming the throne of the HRE (first time I ever saw someone else as Austria becoming emperor, even though the HRE gets formed in every freaking game, really unrealistic) after becoming my junior union partner. So I had the HRE as subject, even though they were kinda weak, but good enough to hold off the small annoying nations in wars.

At the end I took over a huge number of Castilles american colonies, which caused some insane rebel numbers, but still worth getting my revenge ... too bad the game was over too soon again ~

gedy69ni.jpg

e7kahzwy.jpg

Last edited:
I give you

Great Britain, Holy Roman Emperor, Protector of Europe, Bane of the Turk
rvuQHjP.jpg

So I started this game off just wanting to give the Hundred Years War a try, and it's enjoyable in a lot of the same ways that pre-nerf Byzantium was (before we started having to reroll 20 times for a viable start), only better because it's not as deterministic. You start in an unenviable position, but with a strategic advantage that can be leveraged to deal a lot of damage to the enemy, and a big payoff if you do. You don't have as many degrees of freedom in terms of where to go from there, but taking over the HRE diplomatically while conquering Iberia militarily turned out to be a lot of fun.

It was a remarkably unlucky game. My only preplanned goal was to win the HYW and take over the HRE, which I finished in 1644. My original 0/0/0 king lived to well into the 1480s, which screwed my whole idea schedule and put me behind in colonization, which put me behind in everything. He had a late heir, so when he died I got the Low Fertility event in 1498(!) because the new heir didn't have an immediate new heir, then War of the Roses, which I won for Lancaster. After that, I had some wars with Burgundy for Antwerpen, and with Spain for Iberian provinces. As usual, I didn't integrate France until 1750 (to prevent Rev. France) so I could enjoy their god-generals and their AI-controlled sieging, which made big wars very enjoyable from the get-go.

Castille/Aragon had both set me as a rival and Portugal sided with them over me, so we were about evenly matched from about 1450-1650. Vizcaya must have changed hands at least four times. Castille got the Iberian Wedding event, but I managed to break the PU with Naples, at least. Iberia would end up occupying me for the entire game due to not getting a single PU until 1750. That one PU was with Georgia, and it ended six days after I got it, when they got the Bureaucratic Despotism event. This was incredibly widespread, actually: by the end of the game, Sweden, Byzantium, Ottomans, Russia, Poland and Portugal had that form of government. So, so many throne claim opinion maluses for nothing.

I decided to ally with Byzantium early on to keep it interesting, but they had already lost Constantinople and were just hanging out on Cyprus and Crete, so they were relatively passive even after I gave them back Morea. In my Portugal->HRE game, allying Byzantium was a constant source of fun as they would keep attacking the Ottomans despite being much smaller, then call me in to lay down the law. This game, they just sat there, so I ended up diplo-vassalizing them.

I also own all of North America, but who cares.

And the HRE map:
Me3SsOJ.jpg

That's East Frisia up there holding out against the Empire. I originally released them for IA without noticing they weren't actually in the HRE, and I didn't incorporate them because they were such a fierce little OPM. Over the span of about 175 years, OPM East Frisia fended off six Swedish attempts to reconquer their core, during four of which they were facing a Sweden that held all of Scandinavia. I don't know how they did it, but hats off to them--every time I saw the war declaration, I thought this would be the time I would retake them from Sweden and put them in the Empire proper. I think Asterix may have lived there.

Note that I did force that jerk the Pope into the HRE, though. My only regrets are not managing to evict the Ottomans from Europe entirely, and not managing to time my annexation of Pomerania right so I could surround the HRE on all land fronts.

Last edited:
4MHcShe.png

Finally got the 'Master of India' and 'No pirates in my Caribean' achievements. Those pesky few Portugese colonies were such a bother, because they were allied with the HRE.

FYdKn0O.png

The Holy Roman Empire was proclaimed by Austria around 1630, and never really expanded. They were known for their horrifyingly big army (720k) and alliances with The Mamluks and Russia from the formation. At some point those alliances were broken, which allowed me to knock down the Mamluks in India, as they had inherited Baluchistan.
Sweden and the Commonwealth have almost always been my loyal allies. Standing strong against the insanely big Holy Roman army while I was conquering British Puerto Rico, or fighting the Russians for their Indian lands in the south.
It wasn't until 1700 or so that France started the conquest of Mali, which got frustrated by the Spanish armada when they occupied mainland France. This forced them to give back some Malian lands.

The Hurons have lived at peace with the British and the Spanish ever since their arrival, with no interest from one of the three sides in the other. Their sworn rival is Quebec, the only New World colony that has achieved independence.

Ming has collapsed at least twice in our known history, going bankrupt both times. Zhou made good use of these situations to snatch lands, and Korea declared independence during the First Collapse.
The Japanese were not known as agressive expanders outside their own island. The British invaded near the 1790's, occupying half the island before demanding the northern part of it.
Russia had brief access to the white sea for about twenty years, but faced a rebellion by Novgorod which took this port away. They never managed to aquire a proper foothold in Europe.

Sweden got their hands on the last Scandinavian lands between 1548 and 1569. They inherited Bohemia, after this country left the Holy Roman Empire to become independent, and conquered some other ex-HRE posessions such as Cleves and Münster.

A remarkable event happening was the independence of the Netherlands. The Netherlands, with their only province being Holland, declared independence from the back-then big blue blob France. France sent a 40k army to siege Holland, and they somehow got off with a white peace. (despite owning no colonies or anything like that)
In a few years several other Dutch lands acceded to the Netherlands, making it a medium-sized country. They colonized Nova Scotia, Suriname and a few African lands. But only a few years after their height, they agreed to become a vassal of the Emperor and finally be dissolved into the empire. Overall they were only independent for about twenty years.

P.S. Anyone has some suggestions for unlocking the 'Market control' achievement? I'm production leader in seven or eight products, and near production leader in one or two others. I just need to place my ships strategically before I hit 1821, but don't know what would be the best.

Finished my Master of India game, just like the guy two posts up :p And my game also has a united HRE and Scandinavia. On the other hand, I also got Trade Hegemon (Malacca, Aden, Hormuz).

Spain was crushed in Europe but has a solid grip on her Pacific empire. Russia didn't do very well, not able to cross the Urals for centuries and eventually running into the Spanish in Siberia.

Austria united the HRE, and also inherited Aragon-Naples and Lithuania, so they're pretty scary. I was glad to have a very stable alliance with GB and Austria, keeping France, Netherlands and Denmark at bay.

Fez, westernized Inca and Brazil are my vassals.

Ubl0wdE.png

Last edited:
This thread makes me wonder what would have happened if all these players really did run those nations then.

The UN would have formed 500 years early to provide a forum for all the royal complaints about how lame it is that you can only seize 3-4 provinces per war.

This thread makes me wonder what would have happened if all these players really did run those nations then.

I would guess many of the large nations (france, england, etc) would have 0 manpower constantly from fending off people trying to break them up into their stem duchies...

a lot of OPMs would be at war all of the time.

I suspect just 1 person would wait long enough to take advantage of everyone's constant wars and take over the world.

Probably the guy who played East Frisia lmfao

Looking to stat a Netherlands game. Who did you start out at as? Tips?
I started as Friesland, if you want to have it easier go Burgundy.
Naturally went colonizing without taking anything in Europe. If I remember correctly I got naval basing rights from Granada/Morocco then got Cap Verde->Brazil->quickly colonize all coasts while fighting colonial wars with colonial powers. Moved my capital to the new world asap and in 1600ish got the Europian holdings.

I didnt do it but I assume it is possible to go and annex+release Aztec or something early on and getting to colonize much quicker that way

I started as Friesland, if you want to have it easier go Burgundy.
Naturally went colonizing without taking anything in Europe. If I remember correctly I got naval basing rights from Granada/Morocco then got Cap Verde->Brazil->quickly colonize all coasts while fighting colonial wars with colonial powers. Moved my capital to the new world asap and in 1600ish got the Europian holdings.

I didnt do it but I assume it is possible to go and annex+release Aztec or something early on and getting to colonize much quicker that way

How did you get enough positive to get fleet access from Granada/Morocco?