• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

always_ace3

Private
99 Badges
Jun 13, 2010
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • For The Glory
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • For the Motherland
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • East India Company Collection
  • Darkest Hour
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
Thedas Kings - A dragon age mod.

Downloads: none yet.

Ever though that the medieval-ish world of thedas had enough elements to fit into Crusader Kings 2 gameplay? If so, this project is for you! We are trying our best at developing a total conversion mod that preserves the best of CK2 gameplay while also bringing the roleplaying spirit and complex world of Dragon Age.

The mod is in very early developement, but the foundations are being laid at a steady path, so stay put for news and updates!

FAQ:

Q: When will the mod be released?
A: We plan on having a semi-stable map prototype in few weeks. That means a not-specially-awesome-looking Thedas map, with vanilla gameplay and only randomly generated characters, with no proper DA features. It will NOT be representative of the mod itself, but an important step in the developement. If you are interested in testing such map, leave a comment here. A proper release can be expected sometime this spring. Perhaps.

Q: How will you handle...?
A: Some explanations regarding the main Dragon Age themes are given below. Where those explanations are too general, that means that the feature have not event received proper conceptual work. Be patient.

Q: I am a modder and want to help this project
A: Great! We are always looking for more manpower, and there are tons of things big and small that can be sped up with an extra pair of hands. Just leave a comment here in the thread or PM one of the developers.

Q: I don't know how to mod, but still want to help.
A: You are welcome nonetheless! If you have graphical abilities, those can be put to good use to create the different icons, event images, portraits, etc. that the mod could use for a immersive experience. If you lack those, but are a fan of the setting, and are willing to do research work, your help can be useful too at this stage. Just leave a comment here in the thread or PM one of the developers. There are specific research areas open at the moment, see below if you are interested.

Q: How can I contact the team?
A: Either here or in our steam group (A quick google search for "Thedas Kings steam" should do the trick.

-Planned features systems:

Chantry:
The schism between the Orlesian and the Tevinter chantries mimic quite fittingly that between Catholic and Orthodox christian division, and will be treated accordingly. The Orlesian chantry will follow the Catholic model, Each grand cleric being a cardinal. The Tevinter chantry will be submited to the Imperium, and let the autoephally feature represent the intetwining of the chantry and the magocracy. Exalted marches (Crusades) will be inplented later on. Also a system that measures the influence of the chantry against that of the ruler in each realm is in the workings.

Dalish:
LordLlamahat is taking care of the exiled elves. We will have them as nomadic OPMs roaming the less habited areas, with their own government system, flavor, and of course, the dificult challenge of switching the balance with humans and regaining a realm for themselves, if the player wants to try that.
The dalish tribes will be lead by a first, with one of the councils positions being that of First, which will also be the heir of the clan's rulership. This will be dealt with by events, since successions laws are hardcoded

Mages:
Magic is a genetic feature that start showing up during childhood. The mage's parents face the decision of surrendering the child to the circle or hiding the mage, making him an apostate. There will be flags and traits to depict maigc prowess, and desirably also a way to learn different spells, but that last thing has not yet been figured. We will also be creating the traditional mage factions within the circles, and a set of crown laws dealing with mage liberties.
Also, given that the most similar weapon to a pike in a Dragon Age game has been so far a mage staff, we are using pikemen to represent contingents of mages.

Wardens:
The grey wardens will be represented as holy orders or mercenaries (the quiestion is not yet decided) and be present in each realm -the orlesian and the fereldan GW will be different groups-. Characters can be try to join the order willingly or as an alternative to execution, but the Warden commander can reject the recruit if deemed unworthy, and there is always danger in the Joining...
Crwebb is dealing with the wardens at the moment and is looking into implementing a system to represent the influence or prestige the wardens hold in each realms, granting them certains bonuses and abilities

Dwarfs and the Deep Roads:
The Deep Roads will be present on the map, occupying the eastern part of the map (not included in the first releases, probably). The dwarf caste system has not yet been figured out.

Darkspawn:
Not yet figured, really. ALl the other races are higher in the priority list.

Quinari:
The quinari are tricky. The best thing I can think of is generalising the Arishock/Arigena/Ariqun to all the layers of the feudal systems, making castles agnatic, cities enatic and temples cognatic, and making councillors fit as well as possible. Succesion between quinari should be handled by event, in a sort of meritocracy, with piety representing fidelity to the qun and different actions having positive or negative actions on piety. Characters with negative piety should be imprisoned for "reeducation" or flee and become Tal Vashoth.

Quests and adventures:
Many provinces on the map will represent "empty" areas, either plains, mountains, forests, or abandoned keeps. Those are there to offer event-drivent encounters with creatures when you move through them, and also to try and claim them, Inquisition-style.

Realm structure:
Each realm (Ferelden, Orlais, the Free Marches, Nevarra, Tevinter, Anderfels, Antiva, Rivain, the Qun) will be an empire. This can be controversial, but is sort of needed by the scale of the map, though the de-jure set up will be spiced up with titular titles to be as accurate to lore as possible. The tiers for Ferelden and Orlais are pretty easy to figure (and yes, teyrn will be kings in ferelden), but otherwise we have little clue).

Open areas of research/community imput:

-Names, names names! We are collecting cannon characters and places, but an extra hand would be welcome! Also, specially for the ton of provinces holdings and titles, non-cannon names will need to be made-up, so any ideas will be great. For a reference, compare the aviable maps on the net with the quantity of provinces in the screenshots below.

-Titles: We need forms of adress and titles for almost every culture outside of Ferelden and Orlais. The avvars could do with the vanilla norse one, perhaps, but for the other cultures, we lack names below the emperor tier for the rest.

-History: There is little information on dynasties and demesnes, every bit of information is direly need (does anyone know of any royal territory in Ferelden, for example, outsie the capital?).

-Heraldry

-Wildilfe and culture in the different realms, for flavour purposes.

-Information for special units and retinues.

Current team:
-ngppng: Developement leader, mapping, cantry and magic systems
-always_ace3: conversion of vanilla events and decisions
-LordLlamahat: Dalish mechanics and flavours
-homeworlder: education system, traits, portrait configuration
-crwebb: dwarven names, grey wardens coding
-caston_folarus: lore research, focusing on names atm.

Former team:
-Chalkface: Legacy code and former map. Map concepts for Thedas and the deep roads
-tajmajaj: cartographer
-viola: loading screens

Acknowledgement is due to all the people behind previous DA modding initiatives, and the fans supporting us and them.

Some developement screenshots:
GNVW9Xd.png

9ffVqKR.png

9ffVqKR.png

f9lgecc.png

f9lgecc.png

uwehTBl.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
Updates:

v.0.01 - February 2014
Cultural Military buildings complete.
Factions completely rewritten.
Religion & Culture files + Localisation obviously complete.
Rewriting Education system and Traits.
All files rewritten to allow gender equality.
Completely rewritten Crown and Demesne laws.
Small interface improvement, lots of Localisation work.
1st Draft province map is 70% complete, along with 'finished' height and topology maps.

First Draft does not mean first release, let's be clear. Once we have our map and base systems working the next focus will be on events, holdings and improving what we have done so far.

Last edited:
You could try and get in touch with them, they've had a map up and running, so that'd save you a huge chunk of work.

You could try and get in touch with them, they've had a map up and running, so that'd save you a huge chunk of work.

Yes that'd help me, i shall do that, now i just have to find some people help with the rest.

Do you have any modding skills? If not, I could give pointers or give resources and such

I have very little little modding xp, for Victoria Revolutions i had modded very extensively, but very little experience for CKII.
Help would be very helpful thank you.

The wiki pages are a very good resource for commands, scopes and conditions and some very crude tutorial-like pages.
http://ckiiwiki.com/Commands

Well, in general, look at the code of other mods and of vanilla.
Fawr's Event Thread is the single best monolithic event resource out there. It's not complete, no, but it's the best out there. You could go from there, with a handful of vanilla events, to anywhere.

If you need specifics, PM me :happy:http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?604588-Events&highlight=Events

Thank you very much, i have also posted the link to the group, feel free to check it out.

The wiki pages are a very good resource for commands, scopes and conditions and some very crude tutorial-like pages.
http://ckiiwiki.com/Commands

Thank you also, i need as much help as i can get to get this up and running.

The mod needs good coders and, preferrably, a dedicated cartographer BTW; those are the best positions to apply for atm.

The problems I always see with the Dragon Age world (which I do love because of DA:Origins) is that there isn't all that much information about the holdings. You should aim for 800-1000 counties with ~4000 (possible) holdings in total.
Takes a while, especially if you are not using my map filler tool :p

iirc Korba has a map concept of Thedas on one of his various HDs ... might be worth asking him about.

The mod needs good coders and, preferrably, a dedicated cartographer BTW; those are the best positions to apply for atm.

Yeah that's going to be fun to do.

The problems I always see with the Dragon Age world (which I do love because of DA:Origins) is that there isn't all that much information about the holdings. You should aim for 800-1000 counties with ~4000 (possible) holdings in total.
Takes a while, especially if you are not using my map filler tool :p

iirc Korba has a map concept of Thedas on one of his various HDs ... might be worth asking him about.

Can do, thank you for that, and also, the info on holdings is not that good after spending all day trying to search for it.