**Suggestion thread:** What would you like to see in a patch 1.3?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice little addition will be:

When you hover with the mouse over a capital city to see not only the land and naval tech levels but all 5 techs of every country.

This will be easy to implement I think. :)

And what happened with the arrow suggestion (when you right click to move your amry or ships)? Can it be implemented?

Could we get a define for the ai-files how eager a nation will go after it's cores (maybe different values for different kinds of cores)? I see Eire conquering far-off lands around the globe while they don't give a damn about Hansa-held Munster right on their home island - which ofc is a national core...

Since Basi revived thread a bit...

Michael, could you look into rebels? I know, they are meant to be stronger but right now they're breaking late game immensely. Napoleonic-style total wars are impossible since AI quickly collapses to rebels since they have also +51 LT, which means they have rapid sieges too, which means that two or three rebel units can make every country collapse in a second.

Guess I had a record in one Poland game on Plvs Vltra: England, France and Spain (twice) collapsed in span of two or three years. We can somehow deal with rebellions, just give AI a chance to survive this madness. :(

EDIT: Also, since I'm at it again: Would it be possible to make command for electors? I mean, so we can change whether TAG is elector or not. Maybe it's doable since in country.txt elector value is number? Guess could be useful, no need for additional TAGs just for the very electorate thing.

Last edited:
Since Basi revived thread a bit...

Michael, could you look into rebels? I know, they are meant to be stronger but right now they're breaking late game immensely. Napoleonic-style total wars are impossible since AI quickly collapses to rebels since they have also +51 LT, which means they have rapid sieges too, which means that two or three rebel units can make every country collapse in a second.

Guess I had a record in one Poland game on Plvs Vltra: England, France and Spain (twice) collapsed in span of two or three years. We can somehow deal with rebellions, just give AI a chance to survive this madness. :(

EDIT: Also, since I'm at it again: Would it be possible to make command for electors? I mean, so we can change whether TAG is elector or not. Maybe it's doable since in country.txt elector value is number? Guess could be useful, no need for additional TAGs just for the very electorate thing.

Do you mean like that?
Code:
command = { type = elector which = aaa value = x }
Changes the number of votes for country aaa, 0 removes it as an elector.

Huuuuuuuuuuuuh? So have I missed it? I was studying commands list extensively and somehow didn't see that.

Well, nothing new for me. But good to know, could certainly be useful. Thanks, CD ;)

And now for some more questions - not really suggestions, well, suggestions-questions...look, we had a very interesting discussion yesterday about making FtG manpower and support work like in last EU3 DW beta. And the reason is that we'd get much much more realistic numbers through all the game. I mean, in some cases you can easily reach even million of supportable amount (!) and 500k of manpower limit.

Also, starting numbers are too big. It feels bad. Being able to field 300k army in Napoleonic times should be max. And having only small amounts of support and MP in early game would make you treasure your army and MP more, also would force you to finally use goddamned mercenaries. As for now support/manpower change varies a bit, from 40 to 60% I'd say. But it still needs more testing, and some more knowledge - maybe even changes if there is possibility to implement them someday.

Anyway, here are questions for you Michael, if you could give us some clear answers that'd be uber valuable ;)

1.) Does AI hire mercenaries? Looking at various savegames it seems to me that it does not, although it might simply merge them with its other units. If it's able to hire them, would cost matter much? I want to adjust mercs costs to be similar to EU3 ones, so they could be viable replacement in early and mid-game in exchange for manpower.

2.) How does combat work now and could you give us a short guide about how to edit it via combat.txt? Our initial thought was to make phases shorter, so you would have to use all types of units since fire and shock would alternate say every three days battles would be more intense). That's another concern - battles seem altogether way too random, not always, but sometimes they do, both in favour of player and AI. What could be possible solution to fix this? Initially that's why we though about quicker phases - if dice rolls everytime new phase engages, then maybe random effect could be neutralized (or maybe fleshed out even more, who knows?).

3.) Now for real suggestions, although I imagine that it might be too much: how possible would it be to add following modifiers moddable in defines.txt?

*Fortress size for every level. For now we can just set initial number and fortress level is just multiplier. And while I was thinking about making fortresses much more important by making numbers more stretched (for example 2.500-5.000-7.500-12.000-18.000-25.000, numbers are random but it gives you idea), so instead of either leaving fortresses at minimal whole game or spamming them all the way to maximum (MP), you'd have to decide where to place ones beside Lv4 let's say.

*Manpower bonus for war taxes. As for now war taxes seems to be completely and utterly useless, so I changed tax bonus from 150 to 300% (maybe 200 will be enough) and duration to 12 months, but as we've been talking about it, manpower bonus could be useful too. Some sort of forced conscription or something.

*City pop modifiers for manpower. That's how game calculates manpower per province: initial manpower size (in province.txt) * modifier based on city pop. So for example, 180k Nanjing will get 8 * 0.67 = 5.something IIRC. Every city size gets its modifier, for 1000 people it's 0.25, for 10000 it's 0.42, etc. If we could affect those, that would be fantastic.

Guess that's it. I still got to talk to some people with knowledge, but since we analyze FtG stats quite often as for now, I guess I'll come up with some sort of series/thread dedicated to our observations. There are much more things we want to edit, some exploits to prevent. Most of them can be achieved by now with what we got, some could use stuff like additions in defines.txt, but not necessarily. But since it's a suggestion thread I guess it's okay to ask, rite?

It's so much depressing when you realize that modding potential of FtG wasn't even remotely exploited, I believe that by changes like manpower ones I listed above we could really refresh the gameplay. Also, just in case you are asking, I use basic AGCEEP 1419 for now, but changes are being developed with new Plvs Vltra in mind. So once it is ready, we can really test how things work out ;)

EDIT: Now it struck my head since I am talking with Therion atm. Would it be possible to allow techgroups to have more effects? Same as religions. Well, almost the same. If techgroup could somehow affect yield of useful guys (traders, missionaries, colonizers and diplomats), monarch's stats and some modifiers (like morale, income, trade/infra efficiency) we could quite possibly acquire a way to simulate governments in FtG. And since they would still affect technologies, it wouldn't break game really.

So technically additional modifiers for techgroups. That's sorta it.

Now that I read all of it, it's a lot of requests. Well, even if only one of those could be implemented sooner or later, guess we all would be overjoyed. Beggars can't be choosers, right?

Even if so, it's a suggestion thread, so I still believe that asking at least whether X is possible is fine. I hope ;)

Last edited:
Hello!

Yet another suggestion.
Let the garrison troops be like a normal troops, so ruler must build them, place them in the fortress, etc... But garrison troops couldn't be moved to another provinces.

Thank you.

You can create more by upgrading your fortification in a province.

Yes, I know, but this is not very playable and well controlled feature. When you see provinces with 1000-2000 population and fortress with 5000 garrison in this provinces it looks not very realistic. My HOI-like suggestion for the garrisons could add some more realistic element in the greatest game)

Yes, I know, but this is not very playable and well controlled feature. When you see provinces with 1000-2000 population and fortress with 5000 garrison in this provinces it looks not very realistic. My HOI-like suggestion for the garrisons could add some more realistic element in the greatest game)

The numbers of population are not 1:1 persons but rather taxable households. Otherwise population numbers would be far too low. So you can´t compare population numbers and soldiers in garrison on the same basis.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?305105-Population-FAQ-v1.09

1.) Does AI hire mercenaries? Looking at various savegames it seems to me that it does not, although it might simply merge them with its other units. If it's able to hire them, would cost matter much? I want to adjust mercs costs to be similar to EU3 ones, so they could be viable replacement in early and mid-game in exchange for manpower.
No, it doesn't. I've considered implementing that, but it's pretty low on the priority list.

2.) How does combat work now and could you give us a short guide about how to edit it via combat.txt? Our initial thought was to make phases shorter, so you would have to use all types of units since fire and shock would alternate say every three days battles would be more intense). That's another concern - battles seem altogether way too random, not always, but sometimes they do, both in favour of player and AI. What could be possible solution to fix this? Initially that's why we though about quicker phases - if dice rolls everytime new phase engages, then maybe random effect could be neutralized (or maybe fleshed out even more, who knows?).
Very little has changed from EU2's combat, so the old FAQ is probably your best bet. The .csv files are now .txt files, of course.

You can change the length of combat phases in defines.txt.

As is usual, I won't respond directly to the rest of the suggestions.

Ok, I think this doesn't exist and it's actually important to have: An option to get a message when specifically one of your vassals gets declared war upon.

Ok, I think this doesn't exist and it's actually important to have: An option to get a message when specifically one of your vassals gets declared war upon.

when specifically one of your vassals gets declared war upon, *who is not allied to you*.
If your vassal is your ally then you already are invited in the war.

Here are a few suggestions/wishes, some of which I have previously mentioned in other threads, plus a few new ones. The items within each list are sorted by importance and I have marked particularly important items with arrows.

Defines & externalisations:

• Externalisation of policy effects like in Darkest Hour.

• A define for a one-time percental population reduction whenever a province is captured (siege/assault) by a country (including rebels) that doesn't own it and has no national core on it. This would be an incentive for the player to try and keep the enemy from conquering provinces, as losing control over provinces would have serious and lasting drawbacks. Also, in regions with constant warfare (e.g. Germany during the 30 Years War) populations would decrease as was historically the case. A realistic value might be around 0.2 to 0.3 but vanilla should probably have it at 0.1 or less.

• Externalisation of building (including manufactories) effects.

• A define for the recruitment/weight/manpower to troops factor (currently 1:1000 for INF/CAV and 1:10 for ART).

• Defines for the movement speed ratio of INF/CAV/ART and maybe ships as well.

General moddability:

• ► A trigger "validcommand" that checks whether a command is valid for the country receiving the event and can also be used inside TAG triggers.

• ► A trigger "allied = x" that is true if the country receiving the event is allied with at least x other countries, so NOT = { allied = 1 } would return true iff the country is not part of any alliances.

• ► For countries in revolt.txt, a list "not = { }" where you can list country tags that may not exist for the country to be eligible to be created by revolts or as a vassal. Like in Darkest Hour, basically. To be used mainly for countries that additionally exist as seperate nations, e.g. Pomerania in Watkabaoi (Pomerania-Stettin and Pomerania-Wolgast).

• ► The triggers "month" and "day" that are true if the current date is at least the month respectively day of the month. So e.g. "day = 15" would be true from the 16th to the 30th each month.

• Considering unions already exist as alliance types, commands to create and destroy unions would be nice, since the automatic creation via monarch IDs is very inflexible.

• A command "movecot" that moves an existing CoT to another province while keeping the index, persistency, and merchants; so effectively it merely changes the location of a CoT and resets the failure value. To be used e.g. for Antwerpen->Amsterdam, Guangzhou->Macao, Moskva->Petersburg, Ormus->Masqat, Praha->Vienna, etc.

• The possibility to define in global_flags.txt\tolerance a numeric value for a non-displayed religion, e.g. catholic = { display = no value = 10 }, as well as maximum and minimum values for a displayed religion, e.g. orthodox = { display = yes name = orthodox min = -10 max = 0 }.

• An optional parameter "year_discover = x" for areas (or provinces?) prior to which they can't be explored.

• If decisions could be implemented at all, e.g. like in Darkest Hour, that would be really nice. But this is probably far too much work.

AI & rule changes:

• ► With the ToT colonisation limit gone (which is awesome!) there now is the problem that there's no way to force an AI to not colonise outside specified regions. I see two possible solutions for this; one is to add a parameter "limitedexpansion = yes/no" that could serve as a hard limiter, i.e. force AIs to never colonise outside their expansion regions if set to "yes"; the alternative solution being to create an "ignore" list with areas/regions/continents the AI will never colonise unless those provinces are already listed in the expansion lists. For example, for Portugal you could list Brazil in the expansion list, and America in the ignore list, which would result in Portugal not colonising any provinces in America except Brazil. So if you wanted an AI to strictly adhere to the expansion lists, you could simply list all continents in the ignore list.

• ► In an AI file, the parameter "tradingpost" should behave as a hard limiter for values 0 and 100, i.e. with "tradingpost = 0" the AI should always build colonies, and with "tradingpost = 100" the AI should always build tradingposts and never turn its tradingposts into colonies or expand its existing colonies. Alternatively, the AI expansions lists (area/region/continent) could be split into colonies and tradingposts, which would be more versatile but also require more work. Again, the AI shouldn't turn tradingposts into colonies in regions that are only in the tradingpost list. However, changing how the values 0 and 100 are interpreted seems easier and less intrusive, albeit less versatile.

• No war exhaustion for being at war with a country on another continent with a "whiteman = yes" religion. Very important e.g. for AI Spain.

• Missionary placement should be prohibited (especially for the AI!) if country religion has missionary_placement_chance = 0.

• Vassal income should be yearly so it can't be used for tech investment. Otherwise this is basically an exploit for small countries with lots of vassals.

• All national cores of current enemies should be ceded when a government falls while at war.

• National loans should be repayable anytime. AI countries should automatically repay loans once they have the money.

• A vassal's provinces should prefer the overlord's CoTs.

• Regardless of trade tech, automatic embargo by all (including human-controlled) CoT-owning countries against enemies while at war. The trade efficiency penalty should apply in this case iff the enemy owns a CoT as well. Also, embargoes should be impossible for countries that do not own/control any CoTs.

• Royal marriages should only remove the fog of war for the other country's capital, or not at all.

• Ships should always be at half maintenance without losing morale when in port. Possibly also make ships always need full maintenance when at sea, effectively getting rid of the naval maintenance slider.

Cosmetic changes:

• The possibility to assign fixed colours to CoTs both in scenario files as well as via the cot command (new value parameter). Alternatively, CoTs should always display the political colour of their owner.

• A total population comparison graph in the ledger, analogous to the territorial size graph which it could replace (if the number of pages is limited) since the number of provinces really isn't meaningful information anyway.

• All (including newly created) countries always considered major, ledger graphs display the current top 24 countries of each graph.

• A colorscales_alliances.txt that works the same way as colorscales_relations.txt.

• Always use the specific name in colonynames.txt if the country has one, regardless of other factors. This name is not written to the savegame; instead the original name is passed on but the game looks up colonynames.txt first before using the name specified in the savegame. This way the province will automatically display the default city name again once the country loses the province, but it can still be permanently modified by the cityname command for countries without a colonynames.txt entry.

Furthermore, I endorse the following suggestions, again sorted by subjective importance:

Could we get a define for the ai-files how eager a nation will go after it's cores (maybe different values for different kinds of cores)? I see Eire conquering far-off lands around the globe while they don't give a damn about Hansa-held Munster right on their home island - which ofc is a national core...

*City pop modifiers for manpower. That's how game calculates manpower per province: initial manpower size (in province.txt) * modifier based on city pop. So for example, 180k Nanjing will get 8 * 0.67 = 5.something IIRC. Every city size gets its modifier, for 1000 people it's 0.25, for 10000 it's 0.42, etc. If we could affect those, that would be fantastic.

*Fortress size for every level. For now we can just set initial number and fortress level is just multiplier. And while I was thinking about making fortresses much more important by making numbers more stretched (for example 2.500-5.000-7.500-12.000-18.000-25.000, numbers are random but it gives you idea), so instead of either leaving fortresses at minimal whole game or spamming them all the way to maximum (MP), you'd have to decide where to place ones beside Lv4 let's say.

I'd like a new command to end wars between countries ( like Hearts of Iron 2 ) . Something like "peace which= TAG" or similar.

My very simple to implement (I hope=) suggestion for FtG is to add checkboxes for trading center dialog to allow auto-sending merchants only to the selected trading centers.

*Manpower bonus for war taxes. As for now war taxes seems to be completely and utterly useless, so I changed tax bonus from 150 to 300% (maybe 200 will be enough) and duration to 12 months, but as we've been talking about it, manpower bonus could be useful too. Some sort of forced conscription or something.

Another little suggestion from my crazy mind: Add a switch like in the political map mode for armies ON/OFF at every map mode.

I also agree that the whole fortress system is pretty bad, but I don't see how this could be significantly improved without completely redesigning it from scratch. So, I don't expect to see any changes there.

And I don't understand this suggestion:
percent chances as triggers for commands? Like the random = %
Does this not work or what?

Edit: Added "allied" trigger, I wanted to request this for a long time...

Last edited:
A few additional suggestions... I have so very many ideas...

• In religions.txt, the parameter "province_religion" could be turned into a list, with all religions in the list being treated as the state religion for revolt risk calculations, and the first valid entry being used as the religion to convert provinces to. For example, for confucianism you could list atheism and mahayana, and provinces will be converted to mahayana until a flag is set that enables atheism, from which point on provinces will be converted to atheism, except mahayana provinces (which can't be converted since they're still considered a state religion).

• ToT cores in country definitions would be awesome. So when the tordesillas flag is set, a scenario with that flag is loaded and the country definition has no ToT list, or a new country is created while the flag is set, the ToT cores from provinces_special.txt would be written in a list similar to nationalprovinces etc. and could be modified by addcore_tot and removecore_tot commands (which should be invalid without the tordesillas flag). This could then be used for events such as the pre-ToT papal bull Inter Caetera Divinae, the Treaty of Zaragoza where the pacific demarcation line was set, or simply for innovative use of provinces that are automatically annexed when conquered.

• A proposal for a slight overhaul of the trade system: A certain percentage of the income a merchant generates in a CoT on another continent (regardless who owns the CoT) is added to the value of one own CoT that is a national core and has the shortest land connection to the capital, if there exists such a CoT. This percentage would be calculated from trade_efficiency multiplied by a new define. Furthermore, trade tariffs (i.e. the additional income for CoT provinces per foreign merchant) would be changed to the total value of the CoT multiplied by a new define. This would mean that e.g. as Portugal, trading in India increases the trading value of Lisboa, which in turn increases the province income. (Bonus CoT value should of course be non-recursive, i.e. only the base income a merchant generates in foreign CoTs is added to an own CoT, not the income that is derived from the bonus value of the foreign CoT.)

• If a province is a national core, revolters should never defect to a country that has neither a claim, a national core, nor a ToT core on it. If a new country can't be created from the province, it's preferable for rebels to simply occupy that province for all eternity. It would be bad if this led to problems with the AI of countries that have some of their provinces permanently occupied, but I ran a few tests with _PROV_MIN_DEFECT_MONTHS_ set to a very high value that effectively prohibited defection and it didn't seem to interfere with the AI at all.

• A command 'hereticrevolt' that works like 'religiousrevolt' except it only applies to provinces with a religion that is listed in the "heretic" list of the country's state religion would be nice, e.g. for random events in the HRE.

• The commands ai_add, ai_rem and ai_set. The first two would add respectively remove entries from AI lists, e.g. command = { type = ai_rem which = combat value = HAB }. The valid which parameters would be combat, area, region, and continent. Likewise, with ai_set you could set non-list parameters, e.g. command = { type = ai_set which = conquer_base value = 0.5 }. Since setting AI parameters can already be done by loading new AIs without overriding other values, ai_set isn't nearly as desperately needed as ai_add and ai_rem, but if those were to be included, adding another similar command probably wouldn't be much work, right?

• I think natives should never attack a colony/TP that is owned or controlled by a country that accepts the province culture. This would also allow innovative stuff with native countries such as the North American Indians which could then mostly consist of tradingposts, and when colonial powers conquer them they'd still have to colonize the provinces and deal with natives.

• A command destroyprovince that completely destroys any settlement in a province, no matter whether TP, colony, or city. This is already kind of possible by letting a country inherit itself, in which case all its provinces will be destroyed, but it's not a very elegant solution. Of course this command should be used very sparingly, but there are quite some cases where it would be useful, e.g. Sarai, Great Zimbabwe, Old Urgench, Machu Picchu, Mangazeya, or generally the disintegration of native cultures. Since sanity can be assured with triggers, the destroyprovince command should be able to force a country to move its capital, close trade centers, or even completely remove a country if all its provinces are destroyed. In fact a command destroycountry might also come in handy.

• The culture map mode should toggle between province culture and country culture.

• The area/region/continent map mode should have climate as an additional mode. Also, if climates were externalised that would be great.

• In addition to popgrowth_island_colony and popgrowth_continent_colony, continents should have another parameter popgrowth_coastal_colony that applies to coastal provinces, with popgrowth_continent_colony only applying to inland provinces. Alternatively, I also wouldn't mind being able to set pop growth modifiers for each province separately.

• The popgrowth bonus for capitals should depend on the country's size. One approach would be to have a linear increase per province above 1, in which case you'd need one define for the increase and one define for the max percentage. Instead of a linear increase, a triangular series would be more realistic, so for the define value 0.5 the factors would be 0.000, 0.500, 0.750, 1.000, 1.167, 1.333, 1.500, 1.625, 1.750, 1.875, 2.000, 2.100, 2.200, 2.300, 2.400, 2.500, and so on. For a country with size 46 (and an increase of 0.5) the bonus would be 5%, or 10 times the bonus for the capital of a country with only one other province.
    Another approach would be to add a fixed percentage of the population of all other (owned and controlled) provinces, translate this into a percentage of the capital's population, and procede from there as usual. This would make the most sense overall, but it probably can't be implemented easily. In any case, one-province minors should not get a capital popgrowth bonus.

• Like vassal, overlord, and union, the triggers alliance, war, truce, and dynastic should also take a single tag as an argument.

• A trigger "landconnection = x" that is true if province x has a land connection with the capital of the country owning the province through land provinces owned by that country. Likewise, a trigger landseaconnection that also includes sea provinces.

• The triggers continentowned, regionowned and areaowned that are true if the country owns any province within that continent/region/area.

• The commands cedearea, cederegion, and cedecontinent that will cede all provinces within that area/region/continent and otherwise behave like cedeprovince.

• A command set_domestic that sets domestic policies to certain values. Useful for the formation of new countries.

• A command primary_countryculture that inserts a culture at the beginning of the list, or moves it to the beginning if it already exists in the list.

• Something like command = { type = setflag which = "blah" where = MUS } that allows to set (and clear) flags for other countries, since there's no way to make flags global and sometimes you can't know which country an event fires for, and having to trigger an event for MUS every time is very annoying. A way to execute any command for certain other countries would be even better.

I could help implementing those and/or other features if the main problem is one of time, MichaelM. :)

Last edited:
Would it be possible to use the "religion =" trigger that checks for an event that a state has a certain religion (e.g. catholic) to be able to check for a religious group (e.g. "christian") too?

Status
Not open for further replies.