• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I need to figure out few things and after i do , will rework this helmet and will be adding more of them (in the future). I am just not satisfied with current quality. Primarily i need to figure out how hair hiding headgear works ATM.
Looks like this right now.
Untitled.png
Beards,helmet width needs to be fixed. Can't do that until i find a way to remove hair , because otherwise there would be hair sticking out from all the sides.Also need to tweak shadowing.

Last edited:
I agree. Chopy, did you happen to reshape the helmet using the alpha layer of the Norse DLC helmet? That's what I did and I produced this.

r9h4Pm6.jpg

Cleaned up the helmet as much as I could, but I didn't like how the nose piece eventually appeared. Next to it is the Norse DLC helmet, a Turk, and an Egyptian. Fun fact: Turks had been wearing Andalusian clothing. I didn't notice this until I added Egyptian entries to the portraits.txt. More half-assed modding!

Chopy, if you could send me your helmet. I would like to merge the two :)

@Pnutmaster I am not sure.I used alpha layer from your mod , simply removed placeholder duke helmet and pasted-in this one , then shaped it and tried to overlay default armor with headgear (didn't want to screw the Saxons)
I was aiming for something like this:1.png I found the stock photo , paradox used to make their helmet from :D pdxhelm.png and i made mine from this nhd.png
Here are my files https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgxy4u1p1v7ci1d/Norse.rar .
I found few more Norse helmet photos , that might be salvageable , if you want i can send them to you.I will attempt to make more helmets myself.This one was quite complicated , a lot of trial and error.I was using gimp for the first time , nor i am in any way associated with graphics/art ;D But i am learning , other ones should be easier to make.
If you need any workforce Pnutmaster i am eager to help , i am already thinking about CK2+ comp. patch.

Last edited:
That looks great. Are helms based on individual culture or culture groups? Because I have a few requests regarding great helms and Siculo-Normans. :p

That looks great. Are helms based on individual culture or culture groups? Because I have a few requests regarding great helms and Siculo-Normans. :p

They are based on graphical culture groups , but there are few intermixes. But i think it is possible to make a tweak for exclusive Siculo-Norman helmets (by adding new graphical culture) , the difficult part is finding stock photo of a helmet at the right angle.

@Ixor779

Did a quick mock-up.
aa.png (it's just a quick try )

Graphical culture groups for the most part, but you'll notice that I gave the Normans their own gfx. It's extremely easy to do. Valid question is, are we introducing memory strain by creating all of these unique gfx's?
My answer is: Hell if I know. I'm playing with an i7 processor :p.

As of now, Siculo-Arabs appear as Andalusians and Siculo-Greeks appear as Byzantines. Sicilians (i.e., Siculo-Normans) appear as Normans, identical to the Normans of England and Apulia, but I could change this (and being the descendant of Siculo-Normans, am all the more willing to do this).

I welcome any and all assistance from you, Chopy. We are all but shadows in the wake of Shaytana Megas tinkering with our text and image editors.

Good news ! I found how hair hiding headgear works !
Will be reworking Norse helmet completely.

Awesome! As someone doing some portrait modding himself, care to share how to hide headgear?

It's defined in portraits.gfx

Search for this:
Code:
		headgear_that_hides_hair = { 10 }

And add whatever frames you want to have hiding the hair there, counting from 0 (the first frame is 0, not 1, and so on).

@DarkReborn
Is it possible for more than one helmet , to hide hair ?
I've tried:
Code:
		headgear_that_hides_hair = { 10 11 }
Code:
		headgear_that_hides_hair = { 10 } { 11 }
Code:
		headgear_that_hides_hair = { 
                                     { 10 }
                                     { 11 }
Code:
                headgear_that_hides_hair = { 11 }

No luck , only "10" is hiding hair.

Also here is near finished helmet

Last edited:
@DarkReborn
Is it possible for more than one helmet , to hide hair ?
I've tried:
Code:
Code:
		headgear_that_hides_hair = { 10 } { 11 }
Code:
		headgear_that_hides_hair = { 
                                     { 10 }
                                     { 11 }
Code:
                headgear_that_hides_hair = { 11 }

No luck , only "10" is hiding hair.

Also here is near finished helmet

Code:

This should work.

Code:

This should work.

Thank you , it worked now after i rewrote from scratch.Must've mistyped somewhere.

So i've made Ck2+ compatible version with few fixes and tweaks.
Fixes include misaligned/missing martial headgear , Persian ears sticking out in chainmail.
As for tweaks i have changed Western Slavs look to western (excluding hair/beards) , changed Baltic/Finnish headgear and looks , made steppe people have dark eyes/hair ,extremely reduced frequency of non-marshal characters that are not leading armies wearing martial clothing.
I could make other compatible versions , remove tweaks and check/recheck files for any code error or mess in general , but later , i want to play game at last :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pz9uzysis0i26zg/Better Looking Garbs CK2+.rar

Last edited:
Yes, Chopy. Do not forget that you deserve to play the game you're modding :p Too many a modder has fallen prey to that trap.

I will most certainly be incorporating your work into Better Looking Garbs.

EDIT: Looking through your files, Chopy, I noticed one mistake. Clothing in portrait_properties is numbered from 0 to 15. Clothing #16 would be, in essence, a seventeenth frame that does not exist. I also chose to give the Dukes the same martial clothing as everyone else in order to justify another frame of royal clothing (those pinned cloaks). I don't know if that was a necessary omission, but if people aren't encountering lag/CTDs/limited memory because of the additions we've already made, I'll bring them back to the mod.

Last edited: