• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for your answers; most informative and makes perfect sense :)

Italy and Japan will join axis once their neutrality is low enough, unless there's a human interfering, they'll never drift out of your corner.

Ok, I was just curios of how to get Italy in the Axis, since their neutrality seems to take forever to drop, while Japan can without any effort from my side.

To understand why that's wad, here's how tech espionage works:
(1) the game determines a base chance of stealing a tech (depending on techs, ministers, doctrines, spies, factions, modifiers)
(2) each 24h it's checked if you've got luck.
(3) if you got luck, there's a tech of your enemy randomly selected to be stolen
(4) if you already got that tech, it's useless, so you won't get a message
(5) if you haven't got it, it get's stolen and added to your tech tree (including message for you
(6) depending on the targets counter-espionage, there's a chance they'll see who has stolen that tech, it doesn't influence AI behavior though.
Seeing the mechanism, you'll realize, that Tech Espionage get's better with every tech you're behind - as Germany it's pretty useless to do tech espionage.

Ach so :)

Italy's common border against France is virtually unpenetrable, if properly defended. While Italy's border with France is small, fortified and mountainous, Italy has a long vulnerable coastline - and the UK the biggest navy of the time.

Ok, raise UK threat it is, then.

shierholzer, congrats on your promotion to Field Marshal! :)
Thanks General.

I don't think the game differentiates between neighbours and other countries on the same continent, threat-wise.
It does. Neighbouring someone is a factor, as it's techs, LS, warmongering, faction, navies, armies, manpower, IC, and some other things. Portugal building a army of 1 million men induces a lot of threat on Spain, while Finland won't notice. Btw, it's also important how's your border looking like and what part you're bodering exactly (eg Siam will get a lot more attention in the UK, than Liberia does).

while Japan can without any effort from my side.
That's because Japan gets it's neutrality get's below 25 on it's own - Marco Polo Bridge is the marker, usually occuring in the second half of '37.

Guys I wanted to ask how does precisely Logistic Wizard trait work?
The wiki says it reduces supply demand for stationary units. Is it right? The game file says supply_consumption is reduced. Doesn't it reduce supply consumption overall even for fighting, moving units like Army Group level leaders?
Thanks

My game crashes at the same date at midnight every time. Propably with USA surrendering to me at that time. The date is 11.january 1946. Can there be something done to prevent the crash? I mean aside stopping to try to win against USA.
Thanks!

Guys I wanted to ask how does precisely Logistic Wizard trait work?
The wiki says it reduces supply demand for stationary units. Is it right? The game file says supply_consumption is reduced. Doesn't it reduce supply consumption overall even for fighting, moving units like Army Group level leaders?
Thanks

Log wizard reduces supply consumption no matter what they are doing. It reduces consumption of whatever you attach it to. so if you have an army general with this trait and you attach a couple of air wings to the army, their supply consumption is reduced as well.
I'm not sure if it's better for an Army Group HQ, though. The field marshall in charge of the Army Group reduces it by 5% per skill level. So if you have someone like Von Rundstedt, with skill 5, he would reduce supply usage by 25%.

My game crashes at the same date at midnight every time. Propably with USA surrendering to me at that time. The date is 11.january 1946. Can there be something done to prevent the crash? I mean aside stopping to try to win against USA.
Thanks!

try slowing down to speed 1. I have that with a mod when France surrenders.

Thanks!

Sadly, this is a bug. I tried all sorts of things but nothing worked for me. I'm not sure about earlier versions but in FtM, my Japan could not conquer the USA without the game crashing :(

It's fixed in TFH :D

Edit: You might be able to edit the save game file somehow but (as a small consolation) if you've taken out the USA, you've won right?

Another noob question - Are upgrades worth it? Still futzing with USA in 1936 and am conducting "field exercises" (moving units around to figure out how this command/supply setup works) and have seen I can upgrade cav to light armor. Checking the Wiki reveals I could theoretically build 2CAV/MIL/ART reserve divisions and upgrade them to 2ARM/MEC/SPART. Is this worth it IC wise? The only downside seems losing out on a ton of practicals, especially armor.

Another noob question - Are upgrades worth it? Still futzing with USA in 1936 and am conducting "field exercises" (moving units around to figure out how this command/supply setup works) and have seen I can upgrade cav to light armor. Checking the Wiki reveals I could theoretically build 2CAV/MIL/ART reserve divisions and upgrade them to 2ARM/MEC/SPART. Is this worth it IC wise? The only downside seems losing out on a ton of practicals, especially armor.

Are upgrades worth it?

Many upgrades are, quite frankly, a massive exploit. There are so many instances where you can build one unit & then upgrade it to another unit for a total cost that’s less than building the unit you want from scratch.

Yes, you lose-out on practicals but you save on manpower (if you're upgrading starting units) which is an issue for the USA.

I would suggest that if you don’t have a use for certain units, like CAV for the USA, then upgrading them is the sensible option.

However…

I’d keep them as CAV (or whatever) until building proper units has got your practicals where they need to be as this will make the upgrade quicker, cheaper and you’ll save a little on supply costs during those many years when the US Army does nothing very much at all.

Last edited:
Are upgrades worth it?

Many upgrades are, quite frankly, a massive exploit. There are so many instances where you can build one unit & then upgrade it to another unit for a total cost that’s less than building the unit you want from scratch.

Yes, you lose-out on practicals but you save on manpower (if you're upgrading starting units) which is an issue for the USA.

I would suggest that if you don’t have a use for certain units, like CAV for the USA, then upgrading them is the sensible option.

However…

I’d keep them as CAV (or whatever) until building proper units has got your practicals where they need to be as this will make the upgrade quicker, cheaper and you’ll save a little on supply costs during those many years when the US Army does nothing very much at all.
Reminds me of CivIII and the spearmen & galleys you could upgrade for 6000 years. :p Thank you!

Log wizard reduces supply consumption no matter what they are doing. It reduces consumption of whatever you attach it to. so if you have an army general with this trait and you attach a couple of air wings to the army, their supply consumption is reduced as well.
I'm not sure if it's better for an Army Group HQ, though. The field marshall in charge of the Army Group reduces it by 5% per skill level. So if you have someone like Von Rundstedt, with skill 5, he would reduce supply usage by 25%.

Thank you for the clarification.
I edited the HOI3 wiki according to it and referenced your post so the credit is yours.

Thank you for the hint! Loading the save in TFH did really help, USA surrendered to me one day later than they did in FTM cause I lost some battles that I did win in FTM (i was just time skipping, no management of the already placed orders). With only Canada left in the North and South America not really at war, I consider myself the King of the World. Oh and on Tuesdays you must call me the Emperor, on Wednesdays 'Caesar', and over the weekends 'Supreme Commander' :).

Off I go to world dominance in TFH for the first time...

I have two question:

How can I conquer Syria as Turkey?
What is the exact purpose of building units as reserves?

There are 2 reasons for building reserves.
The first is simply because they are cheaper to build. They do need a fair bit longer to reinforce when you mobillize. The actual effect depends on your draft laws, so they may vary.
The second reason: building reserves during peace-time is less of a drag on your Consumer goods need. Building non-reserves increases CG needs.

As for Syria, you could start a game as France and release them, then switch to Turkey.

Thanks for helping me out with understanding reserves.

As for Syria, you could start a game as France and release them, then switch to Turkey.

I would like to do it without using gamey methods. However, whenever I declare a limited conquest war on France, Syria gets handed over to Vichy France and using the acquire region CB there is not "take Syria"

Thanks for helping me out with understanding reserves.

I would like to do it without using gamey methods. However, whenever I declare a limited conquest war on France, Syria gets handed over to Vichy France and using the acquire region CB there is not "take Syria"

yes, that could be a problem. Not Vichy in and by themselves, but I believe they are guaranteed by Germany.

How does the overseas penalty applied exactly? Does overseas means the province is not on the same continent as the capital or the province is literally not connected via land? (For example Italian Sardinia can be overseas as it doesn't have land connection to the Capital, but it's on the same continent.)

How does the overseas penalty applied exactly? Does overseas means the province is not on the same continent as the capital or the province is literally not connected via land?
A province that is on the same continent, than your capital can never be overseas. Any other province is overseas if there's no land connection to your capital (straits count as land, zero/one infra not).