• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We're getting very close to the end of the CK portion of this AAR. Just two updates to go! :O : O :O

This is an excellent AAR. I have enjoyed it quite a bit so far. :D

The letter Þ is actually pronounced like "th," if I recall correctly.

The 'hard' th in "thistle", for example. :)

In Old Norse, Thor was written as Þór. That's another example. Bear in mind that Þ is the capital letter, and þ is the lowercase. Why exactly that's the opposite of all the letters everyone uses, I have no idea.

Wouldn't that be the "soft" (voiceless) 'th' then? And ð would be the voiced 'th' I think.

I didn't want to bring up voice/less, because that would derail this into a boring linguistics discussion.

'f' is voiceless, 'v' is voiced. I think 'f' is the harder sound, but that's just how I hear it. Oh well. Everybody understands what I meant.

I think you mean ameːːːːːːːːzing linguistics discussion. :p

But yeah hard and soft is a valid layman's description (in phonology voiceless sounds are considered stronger than voiced ones.), it takes more energy to produce a voiceless sound than a voiced one.

Thanks for clearing up the pronunciation guys. This AAR really has had some significant amounts of discussion about linguistics :p.

The shift of fortune is like a see saw... One second you are crushing enemies with a glorius ruler the next you are getting crushed by rebels with an incompetent ruler.

Yeah, this is the wonderful thing about CK :). I kinda miss that random element from other Paradox games. In EU things do have that randomness, but not nearly as much whilst its a bit more predictable in Vicki and HoI. Nothing quite like CK.

This is an absolutely fantastic read, just read through the whole thing in the last 2 days.

Thanks! You've arrived just in time to see the ending as well :).

Thanks! You've arrived just in time to see the ending as well :).

You have also inspired me to have a go at my own AAR, where i am not great at the game (i am yet to make it all the way to the end of the game without some tragedy falling upon my lands) i do enjoy it and play whenever i can and hopefully i have come up with an idea 1/100th as creative as this. Hopefully when/if you convert to EUIV you can get me into that a little more (i have the game but haven't really got into it yet) ... No pressure.

Are all kids named Buthli these days? :p

So you are going for a conversion then? Great! EU4?

I haven't actually played the game so long that I've been hit by the black plague, is it a massive effect game-play wise?

Thoroughly enjoyed the update as always and looking forward to the last few years of vassal squabbles before EU IV begins!

But yeah hard and soft is a valid layman's description (in phonology voiceless sounds are considered stronger than voiced ones.), it takes more energy to produce a voiceless sound than a voiced one.
Oh, you English speakers and your weird ideas. I think linguistics is awesome, and I happen to study it (don't you dare call it boring! :p) Still, I would totally understand these the other way around - because that's how it is in my native language. I've been taught to speak perfect English but my perception of which is "harder" remains the same, even though I'm aware that this varies among languages.

Enough of that, though. Tommy! Still in love with your work. I'm glad you decided to convert it over to EU4. :)

Buðli III Buðlisson af Munsö
Lived: 1365-1396
King of Egypt, Mesopotamia, Africa, Arabia and Jerusalem: 1381-1396
Head of House af Munsö: 1381-1396​

Buðli III followed on from his father and grandfather of the same name – men whose strength and accomplishments overshadowed him throughout his rule. Whilst not a great conqueror, Buðli did attempt to continue on with the centralisation of power around the monarchy in Egypt, a process begun by his grandfather. Living up to the legacy of his father and grandfather was Buðli’s obsession from his ascension to his tragic demise, he regarded it as a weighty destiny that he often felt scarcely capable of matching.

Buðli III’s fate was inextricably tied to that of his great contemporary – Timur the Lame. Timur was the last of the great Asiatic conquerors of the Steppe who had routinely threatened the civilised world from the Pacific to the Atlantic for thousands of years. Matched only by Genghis himself and perhaps Batu, whose armies tamed Central Europe in the 13th century, Timur would establish an Empire stretching from the Middle East to India within a few short decades. Just as Buðli desired to emulate his ancestors – believing defending the Middle East from Timur was his destiny, the conquering Timur desired to do what Hulegu had failed to accomplish, and crush the Egypto-Norse.

During the late 1370s and early 1380s Timur wrestled control of Central Asia East of Samarkand from the weak remains of the Mongol Chagatai Khanate. In 1382 he began his invasion of the Persian Empire, a realm that only spent a few decades independent of the Mongols. Within two years the Shah’s armies had been obliterated and the Empire surrendered to Timur – yet it took another three before the native Persian nobility could be completely and utterly destroyed, a feat the Ilkhans had never accomplished. Timur followed up his victories in Persia by invading the Byzantine Empire (engaged in a Civil War which had allowed the Egyptians to capture two provinces in Al Jazira), wrestling control over Azerbaijan. Next Timur turned his attention to the remains of the Golden Horde – by the late 14th century the Horde was a loose confederation that held on and off power from the Polish border to the Urals. Timur sought to restore order to parts of the Horde’s realm – capturing their capital at Astrakhan and forcing the submission of the petty chiefs to the East of the Volga. This invasion, vitally, brought large numbers of Steppe warriors into Timur’s armies – it was time to face Egypt.

As Timur declared war in early 1394 Buðli assembled a fearsome defensive line along the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers – assembling an army of immense numbers. His initial plan was to await Timur’s advance and face him on favourable ground. As soon as Timur arrived at Kirkuk with a sizable force the Egyptian King panicked and ordered everything he had into battle, for fear of seeing Timur establish control over the mountains of Luristan – just North-East of Baghdad. After driving the Timurids from the field at Kirkuk, and inflicted substantial losses Buðli made the desperately foolish decision to pursue Timur deep into the mountains in search of a decisive and early victory.

Timur won one of his greatest military victories, of an Egyptian army of almost 100,000 that crossed over from the Egyptian border – around 30,000 would manage to reassemble at Baghdad by the Summer of 1395. Timur had delivered a powerful blow against the grand old Egypto-Norse realm.

Following the defeat in the Western Mountains of Persia Buðli moved quickly to prevent a total collapse of Egyptian power in Mesopotamia. Firstly he called upon his vassals to provide more troops, before moving to higher large numbers of mercenary troops. The arrival of these reinforcements made any immediate Timurid attempt on Baghdad impossible. Instead Timur sought to gradually establish his control over the mountains of Luristan – and attempt to lure the Egyptians into a battle on unfavourable ground.

It wouldn’t be until the Spring of 1396 that Timur successfully lured Buðli into the pitched battle he wanted. But rather than score a great military victory and clear the way for his conquest of the Middle East, it was the Egyptian King who triumphed. The old Egypto-Norse tradition of elite heavy infantry had made Egypto-Norse armies quite distinct from other military forces of the known world for centuries; on the face of things it seemed that the cavalry focus of the Steppe Hordes gave them an advantage. Instead the unbreakable strength of the Egypto-Norse infantry was often able to foil even skilled cavalry commanders – at Daquq the Egypto-Norse infantry scored one of its greatest triumphs in slaughtering Timur’s horsemen and carrying the day.

On the cusp of his greatest victory, with Timur being forced to flee from Luristan, Buðli made the very same mistake he had at the start of the war and assumed Timur was beaten. Chasing the defeated army of Timur once more into the mountains of Western Persia he faced another terrible defeat at the Battle of Lambsar – this time, as the Egyptians filed back towards Baghdad the nobility were not to be so forgiving.

Regrouping in Baghdad and facing the encroachment of Timur once again towards the city, Buðli’s Generals informed the King that they were no longer willing to follow him. The King’s failings had convinced many that under Buðli they were doomed to Timur. Instead the nobles demanded that Buðli abdicate in favour of his brother – Bo. Faced with unwanted division at this crucial time in Egyptian history Buðli decided to take his own life.

Whether the demands of his Generals for his abdication had destroyed the confidence of Buðli, or he believed that his death was the only thing that could hold Egypt together and allow for victory over Timur was what convinced him to take his own life we will never know for sure. The results of his death provided invaluable unity at this moment of crisis for the Empire.

You have also inspired me to have a go at my own AAR, where i am not great at the game (i am yet to make it all the way to the end of the game without some tragedy falling upon my lands) i do enjoy it and play whenever i can and hopefully i have come up with an idea 1/100th as creative as this. Hopefully when/if you convert to EUIV you can get me into that a little more (i have the game but haven't really got into it yet) ... No pressure.

Glad I've got someone else to write an AAR :). AARland can always use more authAARs :). AARs are often more fun when you aren't great at the game - if I was at all competent then Timur wouldn't still be threatening me in the war going on in the above update :p. Looking forward to getting into the EU portion as well, the Egypto-Norse game will certainly be a little different from what most vanilla EUIV games are like.

Are all kids named Buthli these days? :p

So you are going for a conversion then? Great! EU4?

Seems a popular name, is that how its pronounced? I have literally no idea on that one :p.

I haven't actually played the game so long that I've been hit by the black plague, is it a massive effect game-play wise?

Thoroughly enjoyed the update as always and looking forward to the last few years of vassal squabbles before EU IV begins!

It was a lot bigger in CK1 - which is a real shame as its probably the single most important event of the Middle Ages. I had to put it in to make sense of the changes of that occur to the world in EU IV :p.

Oh, you English speakers and your weird ideas. I think linguistics is awesome, and I happen to study it (don't you dare call it boring! :p) Still, I would totally understand these the other way around - because that's how it is in my native language. I've been taught to speak perfect English but my perception of which is "harder" remains the same, even though I'm aware that this varies among languages.

Enough of that, though. Tommy! Still in love with your work. I'm glad you decided to convert it over to EU4. :)

Thanks! Hope you keep following into the second part of the AAR :).

Seems a popular name, is that how its pronounced? I have literally no idea on that one :p.

Budhli - ð is the voiced version of þ, like d is the voiced version of t.

G

IIRC, it's pronounced like a combination of a d and a th. Googling it, it seems there should be more of a d than the other. But what do I know, we only learned the bare basics in school AFAIR.:p

I hope the Timurids win :p

Jeez, there's just no pleasing some nobles it seems.

I'm really intrigued by the idea of Norse Egypt in EU 4. If only you could somehow choose what the ideas and traditions would be.

Well, it should be perfectly possible to modify the converted savegame- especially since I'd figure the conversion would create a new tag for Egypt, given it isn't the Mamluks.

Well, it should be perfectly possible to modify the converted savegame- especially since I'd figure the conversion would create a new tag for Egypt, given it isn't the Mamluks.
I think the converter creates a new tag for the Kingdom of Egypt anyway.

Bo II, the Blessed, Buðlisson af Munsö
Lived: 1370-1443
King of Egypt, Mesopotamia, Africa, Arabia and Jerusalem: 1396-1443
Head of House af Munsö: 1396-1443​

Bo II is often recognised as the last of the Medieval Kings of Egypt. His reign saw the last of the great nomadic conquerors fended off from the Mediterranean world, it saw a seismic shift in the religious politics of the Christian world, Egypt reach a pinnacle of monarchical power that had been long sought after and the beginning of the decline of the Shia Caliphate from the position of the world’s greatest power that it had occupied during the 14th century. Whilst some would place the transition away from the Medieval era at a later date, the death of Bo the Blessed is as good a marker as any.

When Bo came to the throne following his brother’s suicide Timur was bearing down upon Baghdad – fresh from military triumph whilst Egypt could field less troops that Timur and seemed on the brink of defeat. Bo made the controversial decision to withdraw from Baghdad – leaving a garrison strong enough to hold the city for several months and attempt to form a new army. As Timur arrived to besiege Baghdad, Bo was busying himself cajoling his vassals into sending forth yet more men and looking to hire any mercenaries that could be found. In August of 1397, the better part of a year after coming to the Egyptian throne Bo forced Timur to withdraw from the environs of Baghdad – back into the mountains of Western Persia. As his predecessor had done before him, Bo pursued Timur into the mountains – winning a final crushing victory over the aging conqueror. Whilst Timur was able to prevent his army from being totally destroyed in defeat, the long war had exhausted his resources and a peace was signed in 1398.

Whilst Timur would continue his conquests until his death in 1414 – seizing a large swathe of Northern India, including Delhi, and waging war on the Steppe. After the death of his son in 1427 his Empire would slowly fall into decline. The West would never again be genuinely threatened by a conquering Horde from the Steppe.

In the early part of his reign Bo, riding high from his hero status earned from his final defeat of Timur, saw a series of extensions to the Egypto-Norse realm. In 1400 the island of Rhodes came under Egyptian rule – a Byzantine rebel Prince being robbed of the island. That saw year the Republic of Cyrenaica moved, without central backing, to conquer Tripolitania (a region still almost exclusively Christian and largely Egypto-Norse speaking). Whilst Bo was happy to see Tripolitania fall under his rule the fact that the Cyrenaicans had acted without central support or permission enraged the King. The reconquest of Cyrenaica was followed by another round of centralisation in Egypt – the Egyptian monarchy becoming comparable only to England as a centralised political institution. In 1408 Bo led an invasion of Tunis to reclaim the lost province from the Shia, who were crippled by internal division and civil war. Unlike Tripolitania, a large portion of the population had converted to Islam, in the following decades the Christian population was to be turned against the Muslims within the Jarldom – leading to pogroms, mass emigration and conversion. By Bo’s death Tunis had been re-Christianised – but the province had declined noticeably in economic prominence.

The most remarkable religious change of the Late Medieval era were the results of the Council of Rome in 1431. After a millennium of separation the Oriental and Eastern Orthodox Churches were drawn into a loose communion. In reality the separation in doctrine between the Churches was not so great; their division based more on politics and language than religious conviction. The two parties seemed to come to an agreement that their previous opposing positions on the nature of the trinity was merely a confusion of terminology – making neither side heretical to the other. The growth of Oriental Orthodoxy into a major religious player in the world and its relatively friendly relations with the Eastern Orthodox Christians over the centuries since the Egypto-Norse conversion had gradually improved relations to such a degree that made the Council of Rome in 1431 possible.

The political results of the Council were significant. The Patriarchates of Antioch and Jerusalem were downgraded significantly – the Byzantines unwilling to see Egypt control three powerful Patriarchates. Changes in doctrine within the Church would require unity between the Patriarchs of Rome, Constantinople and Alexandria. The new Church (assuming the title Orthodox Catholic Church) was to be divided between a Latin Church (under the authority of Rome), a Greek Church (under Constantinople) and a Coptic Church (under Alexandria) the Churches would have a significant degree of independence – reflected in their largely separate structures and liturgical languages. However the three were to be in a loose communion with one another. In truth this was an acceptance of a political reality on the ground – merely with the independent Church structures recognising each other as allies.

In 1443, after a long period of peace and stability Bo II died at the age of 72. The old King had defeated Timur, returned Egyptian rule to North Africa and saw the unification of the Oriental and Eastern Orthodox Churches. With his death, the Medieval Period was over as the world began to move into a new era, an era of exploration, trade and more than anything else – change.

To be continued ...

Reactions:
Well its over! The CK2 part of the AAR is now complete. I'll post a link here when the EUIV AAR starts, shouldn't be long now. Thanks to everyone who has read and commented thus far - hope to see you in the next part. :D

Budhli - ð is the voiced version of þ, like d is the voiced version of t.

IIRC, it's pronounced like a combination of a d and a th. Googling it, it seems there should be more of a d than the other. But what do I know, we only learned the bare basics in school AFAIR.:p

I was pronouncing it lie Boo-li in my head :p. I was well off.

Can't wait to see how this ends up, and curious about the EUIV continuation too. Certainly looks like it will be an interesting set up to say the least! :D

Well, we've come to the end of the CK2 portion of the AAR. I'm glad I've managed to write this part through to completion. :) The EUIV AAR should be up in the next few days. I'll post a link here too.

I hope the Timurids win :p

Sorry to disappoint :p. Mass recruitment over and over allowed me to gradually wear Timur down - forcing him to make peace.

So cool. Go Egypto-Norse!

Thanks, hope you follow into the EUIV AAR. :)

Jeez, there's just no pleasing some nobles it seems.

I'm really intrigued by the idea of Norse Egypt in EU 4. If only you could somehow choose what the ideas and traditions would be.

I tried modding the converted game a bit - but for some reason only some of the changes I tried to make actually worked. Which is weird
I think the converter creates a new tag for the Kingdom of Egypt anyway.

Yeah, any countries that aren't in EUIV normally get a new tag. So I got a random numerical one.

Oi, Timur is a tough one, much more so than the Illkhanate, or so it appears.

Indeed he was, but we pulled through in the end. :)

Good luck against Mongols v.2. Definitely looking forward to seeing thins continued in EU4.

You won't have to wait long to see the continuation begin!

can we have some religous, cultural maps please?

Also did the Byzantines smash the Abbasids or did they fall into civil war( in anatolia)?

Last edited: