• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi nachopontmercy,

as long as Germany abides by the Versailles Treaty, they may research air but not build it(and submarines, tanks also). Will you somehow implement clandestine research and unit establishment by Germany in the SU, Sweden and other countries?

And don`t forget that the Weimar Republic was more hostile to Poland than Nazi Germany was until the end of 1938 at least. So any attempts to normalize relations with Poland would be ahistorical.

Rgds, Oldtimer

Yes, I am planning on starting research in those areas, but right now the penalty for researching too early would mean a waste of IC and research slots. Also, there are also some mods events to put some flavour into the research race.

As for the diplomatic relations, the decision that let´s you launch the "Diplomatic Campaign" does not affect every country in the continent, just some of them, and I would say that Poland is not incuded. Anyways, I am not planning on having Poland as a friend unless they give the land that rightfully belongs to us!

Very interesting :) Ill be reading this!

Anyways, I am not planning on having Poland as a friend unless they give the land that rightfully belongs to us!

In the democratic Germany mod there is an event in which you are given Danzig in exchange for Germany renouncing claim to the polish corridor. Originally you got the corridor as well but it was changed because it unrealistic that the Poles would give it up. Of course i think the event only fires if you side with the allies.

Very interesting :) Ill be reading this!

In the democratic Germany mod there is an event in which you are given Danzig in exchange for Germany renouncing claim to the polish corridor. Originally you got the corridor as well but it was changed because it unrealistic that the Poles would give it up. Of course i think the event only fires if you side with the allies.

Good, I remembered something as that in the mod, but I believe it would be a small prize for our aspirations. Anyways, I also like the fact that I don´t remember all the events the mod offers, so the game will have surprises also for me and will be more interesting to tell. And thx for following!

nachopontmercy: "Anyways, I am not planning on having Poland as a friend unless they give the land that rightfully belongs to us!"

Hi,

mission impossible for Poland that. There are no such lands. How abt. returning ALL polish lands grabbed by Prussia during the partitions?

Rgds, Oldtimer

nachopontmercy: "Anyways, I am not planning on having Poland as a friend unless they give the land that rightfully belongs to us!"

Hi,

mission impossible for Poland that. There are no such lands. How abt. returning ALL polish lands grabbed by Prussia during the partitions?

Rgds, Oldtimer

I´m not sure if I understood you, but I think you are taking this into the personal field. Remember that when I say "us" I speak in the context of the game! And about that lands, I refer about the Danzig Corridor, as u know.

This aar had been really interesting so fast. I'll be following. Eager to see how Germany lines herself up for the coming war.

Reactions:
Take back the rightful German land of "Polish Corridor"? Do you mean "Polish Nation"?:D

jk of course. This is getting interesting. Do do plan to side with the allies or to regain Germany's prestige by retaking what's stripped of with force?

Take back the rightful German land of "Polish Corridor"? Do you mean "Polish Nation"?:D

jk of course. This is getting interesting. Do do plan to side with the allies or to regain Germany's prestige by retaking what's stripped of with force?

We will see about that, I prefer to keep an open agenda regarding the policy regarding allies...and don´t forget the USSR and the US are an option too!

I´m not sure if I understood you, but I think you are taking this into the personal field. Remember that when I say "us" I speak in the context of the game! And about that lands, I refer about the Danzig Corridor, as u know.

Hi,

I don`t have the mod you`re playing so I can`t say what claims gamewise Germany/Poland have on each other. Historically Poland declared that it had no territorial claims, vs Germany at least.
But you could consider to implement the originally polish proposal re exterritorial connections from Germany to Gdansk and E. Prussia presented in late 20-ies and rejected by Weimar. Prolly because an acceptance would invalidate much of German revanschism.

Reconsidering this by Weimar ITL could actually lead to decent relations with Poland and facilitate creation of a German sphere of influence.
I suppose you need to create events for that, though.

Rgds, Oldtimer

Chapter V: The road to Wirtschaftswunder (III)

Much had happened in the past months, and Chancellor Wels wondered if he would be finally able to achieve the so desired social peace in Germany. The first good news came from the Minister of Interior Stegerwald, who informed him that the investment efforts in the Police Forces began to prove worthy, leading to a reduction of the urbanl protests and generating a greater sense of security among the citizens.

dx0v.png

The efforts were not in vain

Moreover, the Minister of Economy and Armaments Joseph Wirth announced that the initial projections were being fulfilled, and so the second phase of the reforms planned by the government could be started. Abandoning the painful and erroneous doctrine of Austerity, the Chancellor decided to implement social democratic methods by stimulating the economy, intervening indirectly in the market through state loans to both individual entrepreneurs as well as large corporations. In less than a month, most of the funds were properly allocated, and to the astonishment of the international press, the German economy began to grow again.

jtgc.png

The SPD always believed in stimulating the economy

But those were not the only good news, since in early June the showed a dramatic decrease in the level of unemployment, which had fallen to only 5% and continued to decline every day. The Government had succeeded apparently in what they craved: to leave the path ready for every German to live honestly and prosperously with the fruits of their labor.

9ruo.png

Finally, unemployment has significantly decreased

Soon, Otto Gessler communicated that Albert Einstein had finished his recent investigations, and the Government decided to secure additional funds to the intelligence services for the implementation of "Project Enigma", according to which which large sections of the Army would receive an encription machine to increase security in communications and be able to surprise the enemy.

Internationally, the U.S. continued to enact the New Deal measures designed by President Roosevelt, and although they did not achieve the same success as the measures adopted in Germany, some economic recovery began to be glimpsed in the American market. The news, however, would not be as good from the Soviet Union, since according to various sources it was suffering from an historical famine that already costed the lives of millions.

But as it happened before, the focus of the world news would be again in Germany. Despite the esplendid economic job carried out by the Government, the country would not be free to grow and prosper as long as the unjust provisions of the Versailles Treaty were active; Chancellor Wels, after meeting with Foreign Minister Wirth and the High Command, gave green light to "Plan Otto". Under this plan, a small and selective military service was established in Germany, and various Army detachments would enter the Rhineland region, currently demilitarized under the Treaty of Versailles. While it was a strong and risky gamble, it was deemed necessary to show that Germany was ready to end the unfair treaty, while a major diplomatic offensive would try to gain the favor of other European countries.

evt120121132000039.jpg

German troops re-entering Rhineland

When the first reports of this event began to arrive to the allies, the response was immediate, and the first statements of condemnation were issued. However, most Central European countries, also affected by the Great War peace treaties, showed their support to this action, and the silence of both the U.S. and the Sovier Union weakened the protests. But there would be a rather obvious exception: the French Government, without consulting their British allies, threatened Germany with a declaration of war in case the Army did not withdraw from the Rhine immediately. However, German intelligence reported that it was only a bluff, and the world held its breath while the German Government standed firm in its decision.

A few days later, the French government announced that they were breaking all trade agreements with Germany and issued a statement condemning the incident, but made ​​no further reference to a possible war. In the eyes of the world, Germany managed to recover some of its legitimate territory in a peaceful way, while the French showed weakness and lacked any coordination with their allies.

ncuk.png

The French cower before us!

This exceptional event was what was the country was needing to be fully united, and various political and social leaders publicly congratulated the Chancellor; even Joseph Goebbels, Nazi Party leader, said they were witnessing "the rebirth of a nation." Before a jubilant Parliament, Wels announced a major program of state industrialization coordinated with private investments: the Wirtschaftswunder had arrived...

4wvf.png

New industries will be created

Nice AAR nach!
Will follow

Great AAR so far. One thing: I believe it was the Reichmarine under the republic.

A well written start. Consider this fan subscribed. Did you have to make a lot of research into the political system of the Weimar republic? Are there any recommendations to what a person with an interest in history would find interesting to read/study?

Nice AAR nach!
Will follow

Great AAR hombre ! :)

Thanks!

Great AAR so far. One thing: I believe it was the Reichmarine under the republic.

True, I just checked it and it was not Kriegsmarine until 1935, so I corrected it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Very nice AAR, Finally Democratic Germany ; ) "Gott mit Uns".

Thanks! That one was the other title I was thinking for the AAR, but finally I decided for the Weimar´s Legacy one, as even if it´s a little ahistorical it´s catchy, IMO.

A well written start. Consider this fan subscribed. Did you have to make a lot of research into the political system of the Weimar republic? Are there any recommendations to what a person with an interest in history would find interesting to read/study?

Thanks too! Well, I did not have to make a very exhaustive research; I have some basic knowledge (the one every person interested in WW2 has) and did some research to refresh my memory and to get a wider view of the political situation, but mostly from some internet sites and so. So I guess that you will have to ask others about finding good and reliable materials to read about that period in German history as my recommendations could be somehow fragmented. However, there is a movie, "Hitler: rise of evil", that despite some flaws reflects quite well the unstability of the Weimar Republic.

Apart from that, the next months were a little boring in the game as not much happened, so I will condense some events in the follwing update.

Chapter VI: the Aufrüstung starts

Once consolidated the social and economic improvements, the German Government began to work with the arduous task of modernizing the Armed Forces according to the guidelines written by Heinz Guderian in his book Achtung Panzer! According to his theories, the new Army would require a new and revolutionary use of tanks, serving not as simple infantry support units but as specialized corps that would work on their own, creating an spearhead or schwerpunkt fast enough to break through the defenses of the enemy and surround him before he could even notice. To this end, many officers trusted by Guderian began the secret development of a new tank model, faster than the rest of its kind and equipped with radio transmitters that would allow perfect coordination between them. Similarly, some of the available infantry divisions begin to receive trucks and transport equipment that would allow them to keep up with the tanks and move at a fast pace behind the enemy lines.

4576420330_2c61cc844a.jpg

The first Panzers on a test run

According to Guderian, once achieved the enemy encirclement, it would be the time of the infantry, who would perform the final assaults supported by an air force able to crush the surprised enemy. To this end, the Air Force resources were focused on the creation of a new type of dive bombers, which began to be developed by Junkers Flugzeug-und Motorenwerke AG. Similarly, Luftschiffbau Zeppelin began investigating a new secret weapon, than in the words of von Siemens, "would revolutionize schwerpunkt the concept of aerial warfare." Both projects were developed in secret, using covert operations under a civilian guise of aircrafting companies.

84eo.png

Luftschiffbau Zeppelin started to work in a procet labelled as "Top Secret"

Moreover, also the Reichmarine suffered from an important modernization process, as after the disarmament imposed by the Treaty of Versailles it seemed virtually impossible to compete with the British Empire in the naval theatre...at least if the the usual path was followed. Admiral Mootz knew that it was virtually impossible to match the British naval power without neglecting other branches of the Army, and therefore believed in the future importance of the new submarines, able to attack any ship undetected and cheaper to produce than the obsolete battleships or cruisers. The U-boats were born.

mid.jpg

Secret development of a new type of U-Boat

The economic improvement recently achieved was unthinkable just a few months ago, and the recent economic boost allowed the creation of a comprehensive healthcare reform, known as "Wels Reform", and the expansion of the military service to one year. Although some banks still closed, the Government was already able to mitigate its consequences by adopting various unconventional monetary measures.

However, the decision to establish a military servicealarmed the allies once again, who proposed Germany the signing of the Treaty of Strasbourg. According to the British Foreign Minister, this treaty would end the economic clauses of the Versailles Treaty, provided that Germany committed to respect the other Treaty provisions. In a move widely applauded by German society, Minister Crispien announced that "Germany would not sign another treaty handcuffing them to the dead weight of the past", while secretly began to pave the way for a full diplomatic denunciation of the Treaty of Versailles.

d8wy.png

Germany refused to sign the Treaty of Strasbourg

Similarly, the Foreign Affairs Ministry started to work on two new projects: the celebration of a plebiscite in the Saarland and the "Austrian question". According to Crispien, the conditions for holding of a plebiscite in Saarland have been met and people should decide about the French occupation, and began to pull some strings within the League of Nations. The second project was a long term one, and while there was nothing firm yet, there were many voices that spoke of the "need for unity among the various Germanic peoples".

In the rest of the world, France managed to reduce the level of unemployment at 10%, but was severely affected by the crisis, while the Soviet Union took the first steps to break their isolation by signing a Non Agression Pact with Italy and the formal recognition of their regime by the USA. The German Government, seeking allies outside Europe, signed the "Sino-German cooperation agreement", and provided economic and military aid to Afghanistan.

china.jpg

A Chinese soldier with German equipment

Only a year had passed since the last elections that ensured the SPD victory, and most of the goals were already met. The doors of destiny began to open for Germany.