• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
cjne.jpg

My Commonwealth, westernized sometime in the XVI century, caught up with tech as well; 10 ideas behind the British, but that doesn't really matter.

Managed to splinter up France in several wars, but since time takes long to pass, so to speak, there is little point in playing on - especially coupled with the fact that my land force is the strongest in the world, and thus I have to conclude that Poland is ridiculously overpowered.

I was going to grab Bremen, Lolland and the Danish capital to absolutely strangle the Lubeck node for money, but I didn't quite get around to it.

Also interestingly Sweden didn't exist for most of the timeframe, it only appeared a few years ago due to rebellions. Muscovy doesn't seem keen on forming Russia even though it had a lot of opportunities to grab Novgorod - some of which I engineered specifically for that purpose - and instead decided to invade China and stuff. Saxony didn't get Anhalt back for some 50-100 years despite having a core there. And if you're wondering, that's Portugal in Scotland, they've been there since the XV century and never left.

Since my last post...
A538FB18F1B4A775C227CB00EFF921511A9A527C

Playing Burgundy. I've only annexed three provinces in war, Bar, Liege and Calais. I got Savoy in a Personal Union. I managed to get Gelre (which had annexed Utrecht), Friesland (which had annexed East Frisia) Auvergne and Lorraine to become my Vassals before I annexed them. I am currently in a Personal Union with Provence and improving relations to try and vassalize Toulouse.

Britanny has been my faithful ally since the game began and for most of the game and share my dynasty.

England was doing well untill they went through what must have been the Wars of the Roses events, lost all their French possessions and their Scottish and Irish conquests (only one province left in Scotland) and at one point lost Cornwall and half of Wales.

I've had three wars versus France, the first I got them to renounce cores, the second the release of Dauphine and the third the release of Champagne both of which I made my vassals and later annexed.

My ultimate goal is to destroy France (made harder by the fact they have an empire) and try to avoid getting into wars with Spain (England keeps begging me to but I'm taking the prestige hits to decline)

... a lot has happened.

I have completed the conquest of (European) France in a series of four wars by forcing the release of Foix, Armagnac, Bourbon, Guyenne, Normandy and Alencon which I vassalized and annexed one by one followed by the conquest of Ile de France. My loyal ally Brittany took a few provinces for herself but I didn't mind too much. Not long after the conquest was complete I had a stroke of luck - the War of the Breton Succession versus England. With Scotland and Ireland as allies and my large fleet I was able to force England to Concede defeat and I entered into a Personal Union with Brittany, my third of the game. :)

Around this time I annexed my vassal Milan and gave all their provinces to my ally Ferrara who immediately formed Italy.

I decided to concentrate on trade and to start colonizing. Once I had relation slots free I took Aachen and Cologne as my vassals (both were kingdoms by this point) and I have since annexed these too. Then something I did not expect one bit happened - The War of the Italian Succession against, surprise surprise England. This time I had to face Scandinavia as well but I had backup in the form of Spain. With Spain blockading English ports and Scotland attacking England I waltzed over to Scandinavia and before long my armies controlled their HRE provinces and the Jutland peninsular. I forced them to concede defeat and now have my fourth!! Personal Union of the game. The funny thing is that before the war England were my allies and the moment the war was over they sent me an alliance request again.

I waited out the time limit before I could Integrate Brittany and have now done so. Most recently I got involved in fighting Iroquois whilst they were warring with Huron and took all their provinces except their capital which was being controlled by Huron at the time.

6B29F33709D869D329F567DE562CEC667B402A1B

6B92D20671F040625080FA3EFEE0D26890E9D879

Last edited:
Just finished my first full game. Ironman as Austria, later becoming Holy Roman Empire.

The Austria -> Holy Roman Empire conversion didn't exactly go as planned. I had a few misunderstandings on my part about how the HRE reform process worked. Apparently, if a member of the Empire chooses not to become your vassal when the appropriate reform is made, they not only declare war on you but they also leave the Empire---and I'm not sure if there's any way to get them to come back. Electors of course remain regardless, but if they didn't agree with you on the penultimate reform, they won't be annexed by you with the last reform. In any event, pulled that off in the second half of the sixteenth century and spent a lot of the seventeenth century cleaning it up. Eventually did get all of the former HRE back under my control (excepting Friesland, the new seat of the Pope after Tuscany took Rome), although it took until the 19th century for Savoy.

In a series of wars with France, forced them to release a bunch of vassals which I proceeded to diploannex (excepting Burgundy, who I hated due to Border Friction and couldn't ally because I didn't like them enough) By 1805, France had lost everything on the continent except Brittany, and its capital had moved to the Kongo. Due to a pretty bad CTD bug involving the "Order has Triumphed" event that triggers after you take Paris from Rev. France, I was forced to take Ile-de-France in a peace deal to avoid that, sticking me with >100% overexpansion for 1805-1820. Nothing my 500k army couldn't handle, but annoying nonetheless. It also meant that France is still revolutionary.

Sliced the Commonwealth to bits in a similar fashion, as you can see. Personal Union with Hungary due to missions in the 16th century, later integrated. Forced a Personal Union on Sweden (which had taken over all of Scandinavia) in the 18th century and integrated in the 1790s. Probably should have started PU-abuse sooner, but ah well. Denmark had been reduced to one province in Estonia by Sweden, and I diploannexed them. Norway still exists, capital in the Faroes, and controls the Shetlands, Iceland, and portions of Northern Canada. I took Venice from Venice; they still have Istria, but are based out of Cyprus now. Portugal was also kicked out of Europe (by Spain), and now rules its modest colonial empire from Haiti.

My extensive colonial empire consists of Labrador (not shown on these maps). Was a bit late to the colonial game and Sweden had no colonies.

Overall, I am really loving the game so far!

2013-08-19_00004.jpg

2013-08-19_00005.jpg

(Sorry that it's thumbnails)

eu4_2.jpg
My Bavaria game, the reformation hasn't hit me to hard. That France is getting quite scary now and I've secured an alliance with Spain, but I doubt they will be much help once an inevitable war comes with France. The only coalition against France are measly german states. :/
It has also been quite enjoyable diplo-vassalizing/annexing german states. The only thing that I've modded (or maybe "cheated") with my EU4 is better combat modifiers and being able to field larger armies, just to give me the edge against the AI.

Finally first successful game as GB. Ironman.
1024x576.resizedimage
Took a while to get rid of France. Now it's devided between GB, Spain and Burgundy.
Too bad i started colonizing at same time as converting to Protestant. But well... Later there ll be Spain and Portugal everywhere :)

My fist Austria campaign going ok so far in 1481

2mway45.jpg

I inheritet Burgundy so I got a nice front against France in the west. to the east is an expanding Ottoman and a hungary that wants its provinces back. I'm not sure who to attack first.

11w9gk2.jpg

My next Iron Man begins with great promise:

fsoa.png

Now i just have to get to admin 10 . . . "just"

Screenshot of when I achieved "Sweden is not overpowered"

6rWLkSe.jpg

Not shown are two colonies in Canada made by Norway while they were my vassal. They are not doing me much good now. If I play Sweden again, having a vassalized Norway stick around and colonize North America might be good for upping the value of Lubeck via North Sea trade...

Aragon1767_3.jpg

My nearly finished Aragon game, in which I´m really geting bored as there is nothing much to do. My income is abnormal; It´s just imposible to spend all my gold, America is my playground with the exceptcion of Canada which I generously shared with my fellow cristian friends of Europe (Could have colonised it also). The way I colonised that masive chunk of the contienent was using both Portugal and a artificially resurrected Castille with 6 provinces which I sold after making him a vassal, the two were integrated later. About Europe, most of my holdings in Italy and France were conquered before the formation of Spain (1570) And after that Europe leave me more or less alone, and as I was satisfaied with my European holdings I saw no problem on that. But none the less I PUed, just for the lulz, Bar, Byzantium, Austria and Lunemburg, which in the end, summed with my huge income, made the game boring.

Scandinavia1820eu4_4.jpg

This one is my complete Denmark game, much more interesting than the one with Aragon, which as I said became boring after the formation of Spain. However I had a much not exactly hard game, but a challeging one. At one point in the game, both my colonial ambitions and my baltic empire made, nearly all the europeans powers enemies of the Danish crown. This developed in the horrible coaliton wars for the reconquest of Mariemburg, which implied Poland, Bohemia, Muscowy, Great Britain, Spain, and a bunch of random nations against me, as my old friend the powerfull Ottoman Empire was wipped at some point by the Polish. As I could not find allies, nowhere I had to create them, so I started a serie of blody wars against Spain to resurrect France, which had been ocuppied by the Spaniards for a couple of centuries. At the end I find a nicely medium size France, which fielded the 4º largest army. At that time, Catalonia also joined my side as I had helped them in their quest for independence. Luckyly I also became leader of a PU with both Hesse and Hainait, which holded a big chunk of the HRE. And then It happened. The Bohemian coalition-Scandinavian war for the French Sucession, in which the french started under PU with Bohemia, and thus, against me. So I faced a hard situation, I had to win a offensive war against a coalition of nearly all Europeans powers besides me which together had 3 or 4 times more men than me, and by win I mean making the warscore reaching 60%, so I could force the PU with France myself. The alternative was the creation of a Bohemian monster and the loss of my last valuable allie in Europe, which could had complicated by much the last years of the game. And by god´s sake, that was one the funniest and more epic wars I remember not only in EUIV but also taking into account the countless hours spended playing EU3. At the end, I became the monster. With France, Hesse and Hainait under PU, the large Scandinavian holdings Europe, the wealth generated by trading in the americas and 4 full military idea groups, I spent the last two decades of the game betting the crap out of everyone just becouse I could.

Nice one Atris. I have got almost the same borders with you with however you are late restoring pentarchy :)
You should definitely focus on Conquering Gulf of Aden region since trade flows from indies to basra thru aden and then to your capital. Malacca > Bengal > Ceylon > Aden > Basra > Constantinople = PROFIT.
Here is mine. Had wall of massive coalitions whole game hampering my expand.

How the hell did you manage to fight off the ottomans with that tiny nation? (at that point)

A lot of galleys at the start (20+) to block the strait, after they lose the european lands to you + rebels, they usually get DoWed by the Mamluks and generally disappear very fast.

"Malacca > Bengal > Ceylon > Aden > Basra > Constantinople = PROFIT."

I'd go with
Malacca > Bengal > Ceylon > Aden > Basra > Constantinople > Ragusa > Venice. Since you'll have pretty much a monopoly on Const. even without ships, you'll get most of the trade and you'll get w/e gets steered away from it from Venice.

z078.png

My first game as Ottomon Empire, hard with ironman. My main goal was to conquer Rome and Moscow. It was close, but at the last minute I nabbed both cities.

My first game as Scotland turned Great Britain. Focus on colonization to get used to things and went better than expected. Goal was to own as much of North America as I could. PU and late game integrated Portugal and Sweden for no good reason.

B5BF72F8C6D34A1068741A69A5062E15E74C2BC5

A lot of galleys at the start (20+) to block the strait, after they lose the european lands to you + rebels, they usually get DoWed by the Mamluks and generally disappear very fast.

"Malacca > Bengal > Ceylon > Aden > Basra > Constantinople = PROFIT."

I'd go with
Malacca > Bengal > Ceylon > Aden > Basra > Constantinople > Ragusa > Venice. Since you'll have pretty much a monopoly on Const. even without ships, you'll get most of the trade and you'll get w/e gets steered away from it from Venice.

Oh, that makes sense. I remember picking apart the Ottomans in EUIII by luring all of their armies to the eastern side, blocking the straits and then taking all their provinces. But it didn't feel right, abusing stupid weaknesses of the AI.

Nice one Atris. I have got almost the same borders with you with however you are late restoring pentarchy :)
You should definitely focus on Conquering Gulf of Aden region since trade flows from indies to basra thru aden and then to your capital. Malacca > Bengal > Ceylon > Aden > Basra > Constantinople = PROFIT.
Here is mine. Had wall of massive coalitions whole game hampering my expand.

Nice really similar :D and Yeah Coalitions can be very decisive.
Coalitions+superblob alliances are pretty much the reason why I havent gotten around to restore the pentarchy yet, and probably wont for the next 50 years either xD. I did however get the religious Idea for more missionaries and extra missionary strength. I am mostly orthodox except for the always newly conquered territory. So I wasnt in a real need to complete the pentarchy. The religious casus belli was also really nice to have till 1650, so I mostly expanded into the middle east during that time.