• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Eirikr IV, the Scarred, Alfgeirsson af Munsö
Lived: 974-1012
King of Egypt, Africa, Nubia and Abyssinia: 999-1012
King of Jerusalem: 1004-1012
Head of House af Munsö: 999-1012

Eirikr IV was a more traditional Norse ruler in that he was as much a warlord as a King. Having spent his youth fighting in his father’s wars during the 980s and 990s he was covered head to toe in scars, thus his nickname, and carried a fanatical following amongst the Traditionalist faction of the nobility who regarded him as one of their own – a true, masculine, Norse King. On top of this he was a skilled negotiator and well-read scholar – ingratiating him to the clergy. Although bringing unity amongst the ruling caste, he was largely despised by the common people – bringing down repressive measures against Egypt’s large Muslim population and allowing general corruption and mismanagement to flourish.

By the millennium Egypt’s core lands along the Nile Valley and North African coast were predominately Oriental Orthodox, the Coptic Church having come to dominate Egypt proper whilst rising to become the majority faith of North Africa (where Christianity had been almost entirely supplanted by Islam before the Egypto-Norse conquest of the region). Despite this around 20-30% of the population remained Muslim. Over the course of the past century of Christian rule in the Egypto-Norse realm the Muslim population had been mostly tolerated – efforts at conversion were constant and at times heavy handed, whilst Muslims were also forced to pay an additional tax modelled on the Islamic jizya – but Eirikr took things a step further during the course of his rule.

As the power of the Arab Caliphate continued to decline both Egypt and Byzantium pounced as the Romans took Antioch in 1003 and the Egyptians Galilee in 1004. Eirikr took these victories, as did many across Egypt and the Christian world, as a sign of the imminent collapse of Islam and the coming victory of the Christian faith. Crowning himself King of Jerusalem (a move that caused some amount of friction with the Emperor who ruled over the Holy City) Eirikr set about bringing Christianity back to the country. Mosques were closed, masses of Christian missionaries entered the region, heavy taxes were levied in the region with exemptions for those who regularly attended Church and Islam was publically insulted.

The so called ‘Intifada’ was the inevitable reaction of the population to Egypt’s Christian chauvinism. From the day of Eirikr’s investiture as King in 1004 until around 1008 or 1009 a wave of violent unrest swept Egyptian Palestine as tens of thousands rose up to destroy the hated rule of the Egypto-Norse. Eirikr threw himself into the conflict passionately, even losing an arm during the conflict as a wound grew gangrenous forcing amputation. All captured rebels were given the choice between forced baptism and execution – the Norse unleashing a brutality they had not employed for nigh on a century. Yet when the dust settled at the end of the decade resistance had been quashed, the Islamic elite of Palestine had been all but wiped out and the King’s authority in the newly conquered provinces was unquestioned.

Egypt was to suffer from a territorial reverse in the penultimate year of Eirikr IV’s rule as the Duchy of Sardinia fell out of Alexandria’s control. The Duchy was inherited by the Catholic German Duke of Slavonia who promptly withdrew from Egypt’s vassalage and saw his newly inherited realm descend into Civil War (a minority Norse population on the island of Sardinia aiming to overthrow their new German overlords and restore Alexandrine authority).

Eirikr’s battered body finally gave way in 1012, after just over a decade on the throne and just under three decades of fighting. Although he had been popular with the Egypto-Norse and Coptic ruling elites, his aggressive policy to the Muslim population, and uninspiring administration meant that his death was hardly mourned as many hoped that his 17 year old son Hrane might be a better King than his father.

I'm really glad to see that he found his place in history. Just because its action by the great events of this period were overshadowed ;)
many thanks for this great documentation of those time
:)

I like to imagine him parting the red sea by cutting through it with a two-handed axe.

So, Viking Moses just had to become a thing, hadn't he? :D

Viking Moses seemed to go down pretty well :p :).

Another wonderful AAR, Tommy :) Invade Spain and Italy ! Create a new Western Roman Empire !

Thanks :), I'll give you and hint and say that my main project for expansion in the coming century will be in one of the two countries you mentioned :eek:.

I'm pretty sure that the Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Islam in game, as Judaism is not in vanilla) have the ability to send missionaries to convert the pagans. I looked through the dev
diaries for the old gods but couldn't find anything about it. As I don't have the old gods yet, I cant check for you, try looking in the diplomacy tab for pagan rulers, there may be
something there. Does anyone else have any idea?

You send your court chaplain to a pagan county. You might get your chaplain imprisoned, get him kicked out after converting just one person, get him kicked out after nearly converting the ruler, or have it work and have the ruler become your religion. I think Zoroastrians can convert pagans too. This only works for unreformed pagans though.

Just tried this out in game - and it results in a hell of a lot of bishops being imprisoned by angry pagans :p.

With the Arabs losing so much land I'm starting to wonder if a conflict between the Egyptians and the Byzantines will brew.

You might just be on to something ;).

This kind of reminds me of Ptolemy acquiring Egypt, though instead of Greek and Egyptian gods finding common ground, we see a wholesale change in religion causing grief. It's too bad. I think Odin-Ra would be a force to worship. Of course, we would have to go back a few centuries for this to work. But still...

How is the rest of the Viking pagan world coming along? Are there still pagans in the homeland? I imagine they wouldn't think much of these soft Egypto-Norse.

I try to spread Coptic Christianity within my own realm as best I can. How would I go about forcing non-Christians outside my realm to follow my faith?

One way I've found is to aggressively marry brothers and sons off to landed ladies/ princesses high in the line of succession; as they are in a normal marriage, there kids should be Coptic, and once they take over will start to spread it. Without even trying as Abyssinia I ended up having relatives who were miaphesyite become king of france and basilus.

EDIT: I didn't read the second part about converting non-christians, so woops sorry.

Hrane I, Eirikrsson af Munsö
Lived: 995-1040
King of Egypt, Africa, Abyssinia, Jerusalem and Nubia: 1012-1040
Head of House af Munsö: 1012-1040​

The rule of King Hrane marks a period of transition for Egypt. During his reign the old religious and geopolitical certainties of the past century were swept away and a new era of political instability within Egypt began that would leave the country fractious and disunited until the dawn of the 12th century.

Hrane did not begin his reign as King in a bad way, quite the contrary; in his first decade he established a reputation as a fair, just and effective monarch – restoring the prestige of the crown and stability of the realm. He quickly ended his father’s harshest policies of religious persecution against the Muslims of the Levant - instead looking towards a softer approach to Christianising the region through unequal taxation and missionary efforts. Meanwhile, in the crown administration was cleaned up with several corrupt individuals removed from positions of power – crown revenues grew, as did Hrane reputation.

What could have emerged as the greatest threat to the Egypto-Norse regime was the Cyrolian movement. Emerging out of the desert monasteries the Cyrolian religious movement looked to threaten the established Coptic Church and the Norse nobility. Based on the ideas of a former monk named Cyril the Cyrolian preachers left their monasteries to ‘go to the people’ with their liberatory theological message that damned the corruption of the Christian message by the powerful and worldly Coptic Church as well as social injustice and the presence of the Norse ethnic elite. The Cyrolians were essentially the preachers of the Egyptian poor.

Unsurprisingly Cyrolianism was denounced as heresy by the Alexandrine Papacy in 1021, but by then the movement already had a substantial base of support within Egypt proper and was only growing in influence. In response to this the Church sponsored a militant programme of persecution against Cyrolians involving execution for any found openly preaching the heresy. Tensions between the movement and the elites continued to grow until they finally exploded into the violence of the Cyrolian revolt of 1029-33. A brutal four year conflict in which somewhere around 100,000 were killed (the vast majority being civilian Cyrolian communities which were targeted with massacre by Hrane’s forces). Whilst the first great heretical challenge to Oriental Orthodoxy since its rise to power had been quashed, never again would the Church exist in a total vacuum of dissent as the Orthodox line would be challenged again and again down the centuries by ever more varied heretical deviations.

During the 1030s Hrane would pursue an expansionist policy into the Ligurian Sea and Levant. In 1031 he sent troops in Sardinia, siding with local Norse and Oriental Orthodox forces against the Catholics, by 1032 both Sardinia and Corsica had been returned to the Kingdom. Taking advantage of continued instability in the Arab Caliphate, the Egyptians captured the last Arab strongholds on the Mediterranean in 1034. Hrane’s single most important decision during his reign was to advance one step further – onto Italian soil. In 1036 the city of Genoa was captured, two years later so was Pisa – the only genuine trading rival to the Egyptian ruled Republic of Cyrenaica in the Mediterranean.

By advancing into Italy Egypt had drawn the ire the Byzantine Empire which viewed Italy (even the Catholic North) as firmly within its sphere of influence and certainly not a place where the Egyptians were welcome. Moreover, the decline of the Arabs meant that Muslim expansionism was no longer a threat to Byzantium, at the same time the Egyptians had come to take over much of the Levant – meaning that Alexandria now presented a far more credible threat to Jerusalem and Antioch that Baghdad did.

With the Egyptian conquest of Pisa in 1038 the Byzantines felt that Egypt had taken one step too far and wished to cut the vibrant Egypto-Norse Kingdom down to size – declaring war upon Alexandria.

The Byzantines could muster almost twice as many men as Hrane, but the Egyptian King believed that through an aggressive strategy that relied on his superior naval power (with the fall of Pisa Egypt was now supreme in the Mediterranean) he could destroy the Byzantine army before it could assemble. This strategy was to be employed first in Southern Italy were several thousand Byzantine troops were either killed or captured in a quick series of battles before the Egyptian army was trapped at Rossano and utterly destroyed – bringing an early end to the Italian campaign in the Autumn of 1038. In the Levant, on the other hand, the Egypto-Norse were far more successful with the area around Jerusalem being quick overrun Hrane awaited the arrival of the mainstay of the Byzantine army from Anatolia. In July 1039 he won a great victory at Agelen, which dashed Byzantine hopes of a swift conclusion to the war. Through the rest of the year and into 1040 Hrane maintained an effective defense of the Levant, even as he was slowly forced to give ground in the face of numerical superiority.

On May 9th 1040, after 28 years on the throne, Hrane I was cut down in battle near the city of Acre. With the war with the Byzantines far from over and going against Egypt, and a large section of the nobility (especially in the West) losing confidence in the crown in light of these defeats the contentious figure of Alfgeir II rose to succeed his father as King.

This kind of reminds me of Ptolemy acquiring Egypt, though instead of Greek and Egyptian gods finding common ground, we see a wholesale change in religion causing grief. It's too bad. I think Odin-Ra would be a force to worship. Of course, we would have to go back a few centuries for this to work. But still...

How is the rest of the Viking pagan world coming along? Are there still pagans in the homeland? I imagine they wouldn't think much of these soft Egypto-Norse.

Scandinavia is still ruled by Pagans - as is Eastern Europe. By this stage all of the British Isles except for Scotland (which goes Cather in the late 11th century - as well as taking over Lotharingia) have slowly fallen to the Norse, who have not converted at this stage either. We can imagine that Egypt would provide a strong pull to those Norse who wished to embrace Christianity - and still become fabulously wealthy, but would otherwise be looked down upon.

How much of a danger are the Umayyad to the west? I can't believe they are very happy about the treatment of their eastern brothers in faith.

Umayyads are at their lowest ebb at the start of turn of the Millenium with the Chrisitans pushing Southward and constant instability. Its around this point things start to change for them as CWs become a little less frequent and they start to score victories against the Christians. For now they are more concerned with their internal situation and the Catholics, but it wont be that way forever. Fully at peace and without a Catholic distraction they would have more levies than me.

One way I've found is to aggressively marry brothers and sons off to landed ladies/ princesses high in the line of succession; as they are in a normal marriage, there kids should be Coptic, and once they take over will start to spread it. Without even trying as Abyssinia I ended up having relatives who were miaphesyite become king of france and basilus.

EDIT: I didn't read the second part about converting non-christians, so woops sorry.

I've married relatives into Catholic and Orthodox ruling dynasties but not seen ant miaphysites appear before. Conversion of pagans really is pretty fruitless (atleast I've had no success since I started trying :p).

When I played through as Arpad Magyar of Tengri scourge of the Austrohungarian lands I couldn't convert one prov with my learning 18 diviner, meanwhile my sons and the idiot running a theocracy on the adriatic coast turned 5 provs in less than 10 years... let the AI do it for you ;)

This war is shaping up to be a very bloody stalemate, wonder if the Arabs will try anything with the two other powers of the middle east so bloodied.

Scandinavia is still ruled by Pagans - as is Eastern Europe. By this stage all of the British Isles except for Scotland (which goes Cather in the late 11th century - as well as taking over Lotharingia) have slowly fallen to the Norse, who have not converted at this stage either. We can imagine that Egypt would provide a strong pull to those Norse who wished to embrace Christianity - and still become fabulously wealthy, but would otherwise be looked down upon.

Would be nice to get some updates on the rest of the world as the AAR continues, I'm sure there are plenty of interesting things going on. I like looking at the larger picture and Paradox games always deliver when it comes to surprising turns of events.

I gathered that Serkland is too weakened to pose a threat anymore, but I suppose that if Alexandria (Eirikrandria?) and Constantinople butt head long enough we could see crippling civil wars erupt. And that just might open up for notions Catholics if nothing else.

Maybe it's a stupid idea, but a possible name for your entire realm could be Suðrland (The Southern Land) or Suðrriki (The Southern Realm). Considering how well the Vikings got around, it sort of makes sense. You have the original lands - Norway, Sweden, Denmark - the Russian lands - Garðariki - and then yours.

Alfgeir II, the Ill Ruler, Hranesson af Munsö
Lived: 1018-1080
King of Egypt, Africa, Abyssinia, Jerusalem and Nubia: 1040-1080
King of Italy: 1067-1080
Head of House af Munsö: 1040-1080​

Alfgeir II is a man whose legacy has been savaged by history. On the face of it a strong monarch who held together a huge realm under great pressure – even making the impressive addition of the Kingdom of Italy – he was unpopular with virtually every section of society from the common people through the nobility, mercantile elite and clergy. Moreover he is despised by Catholic and looked down upon by Orthodox Christians. His epitaph as the ‘Ill Ruler’ is a harsh indictment of his rule, but almost inevitable considering his lack of supporters in any meaningful section of society.

Alfgeir II was instantly thrown in at the deep end as he took power in 1040. A couple of weeks into May the Byzantines landed a large army in Southern Sardinia, garnering support from the lords of Egypt’s Western provinces they encouraged a large rebellion that saw a large swathe of Egypt’s nobility rise against her King. Hoping to put out a show of strength in the face of the rebellion, and tip the balance of the war with Byzantium in Alexandria’s favour – Alfgeir moved with a tremendously large force to confront the Romans in Sardinia near a small town called Assemini. With almost twice the number of men as the Byzantines Alfgeir should have been confident in victory. Instead Assemini turned out to be an unmitigated disaster. Half the Egyptian army was lost, the Jarl of Tunis (one of the King’s key supporters) was slain and Alfgeir II was humiliated. Despite the fact that the Egyptians were able to regroup and launch a second invasion of Sardinia to retake the island later in the year, the damage had already been done. Following Assemini the rebellion began to spread like wildfire across large sections of the Egypto-Norse realm. With this threat to deal with Alfgeir threw in the towel – surrendering Jaffa to the Byzantine Emperor in early 1041.

With the war with the Romans wrapped up Alfgeir moved to confront the internal enemy. However, with the losses suffered already the rebels were able to field more troops than the crown – an intolerable situation. But help was at hand; luckily for Alfgeir he had inherited a treasury bursting with gold, which he used to recruit an army of Moorish mercenaries – now without a vocation following the end of a series of civil wars in Andalucia – with which to crush his enemies. It took until 1043 for the rebellion to be finally quashed - the final act that convinced the last rebel leaders to stand down their arms was destruction of the city of Genoa, formerly a major economic centre in Italy the city would never recover from the desolation inflicted upon it in 1043, soon Alfgeir’s power was once again recognised throughout the realm.

Soon after the conclusion of the Civil War that had followed the conflict with the Byzantines, Alfgeir embarked upon an ambitious campaign of expansion in Italy. In 1044 the small country of Piombino was captured from a rebellious French landowner and granted to the Republic of Pisa (the city being groomed as a defender of monarchical interest in Italy).

Far more significantly, in 1045 the great city of Rome was conquered. Without warning Alfgeir had gone to war with the Papacy and seized Rome – shortly afterwards the Pope himself was expelled from the city and ransomed to the King of France (thereafter being little more than a puppet of the French King after being settled in Southern France). With the Catholic Pope gone Alfgeir appointed a stooge as the Patriarch of Rome, although officially subservient to the Coptic Pope in Alexandria, Alfgeir hoped to weaken the overbearing power of the clergy by setting up the Roman Patriarchate as a means of dividing Papal power. The Roman Patriarch was given authority over all of Western Europe (in practise this was limited to lands under Egyptian rule in Italy) where the liturgical language was to remain Latin rather than Coptic Egyptian which was used elsewhere.

Obviously, the seizure of Rome had serious political consequences beyond Egypt’s borders as well. In the Catholic world it led to a crisis of confidence amongst the Latin Christians, leading to a shattering of the Church. In Spain Lollardry and in Lotharingia Catharism would come to become the two largest heretical movements amongst the Latins – effectively ended Catholic power in these regions. Meanwhile, other heresies – notably the Fraticelli of Brittany, Provence and Ireland – also became significant within decades. It would take Catholicism around a century to recover from the loss of Rome and the severe defeats that followed.

The collapse of the last great Carolingian realm in the 1040s, coupled with the Northward advance of the Andalucian Caliphate, marked the other great disasters for Catholicism that so damaged the faith in the 11th century. In 1045 the Kingdom of Germany, Bavaria and Italy had descended into civil war amongst competing claimants. Byzantium and Egypt soon took advantage as members of the House of Macedon (the Roman Imperial family) were placed upon the thrones of Germany and Italy in 1046 and 1047 respectively – leaving the Carolingians with nothing but Bavaria. Whilst the Byzantine Emperor’s uncle became King of Germany it was his sister who was to take the Italian throne, however his sister was no ally of Constantinople but the mother of Alfgeir – thus making Egypt’s King heir to Italy as well. Alfgeir’s mother, Eustathia, instantly faced the rebellion of her new vassals against her rule – leading Egypt into involvement in an Italian Civil War that was to last until 1057.

With relatives on the thrones of Germany and Italy, control over three of the five Patriarchal seats, the largest army in the known world and more power than any Emperor since Justinian Emperor Kallinikos I had taken Byzantium to the pinnacle of its Medieval power. With not even Egypt able to compete the Romans ruled the world’s greatest Empire. This dominance would not last. Upon the great Emperor’s death in 1052 the Empire fell into a long series of civil wars that would cripple it and prevent, the Romans from pressing their advantage over Egypt. In 1053 Alfgeir moved to take the town of Hebron, just a short distance from Jerusalem, whilst in 1057 Jaffa came back under Egyptian control as the Jarl of Tunis captured the city.

Alfgeir finally scored the military triumph that wiped away the shame of Assemini in 1064 as he personally commanded an Egyptian army to victory over a large Arab army. The victory ended an attempted Arab reconquest of the Levant before the war had ever really got underway, peace being agreed before the end of the year.

Elsewhere, Alfgeir’s mother finally passed away in 1067 at the impressive age of 72 – seeing the King of Egypt inherit the Italian throne. Although his mother had waged several expansionist wars after the end of the attempts to unseat, Alfgeir soon organised a series of small scale campaigns that lasted until 1070 – seeing the Kingdom of Italy expand noticeably in size.

After a period of peace in the 1070s Alfgeir took the opportunity to massively expand Egypt’s frontier Eastward into Syria and Arabia, even capturing the city of Damascus, as the Abbasid Caliphate fell into Civil War. It was the final victory for Alfgeir before the tensions that had built up over the course of his rule came to their inevitable conclusion in Civil War.

Simply looking over Alfgeir’s achievements from the outside it is difficult to see how the memory of Alfgeir as ‘the Ill Ruler’ can be justified – after all, following defeat to the Byzantines – he had noticeably increased Egyptian power in the Middle East and Italy. Yet, within Egypt he had set a country against himself. The clergy, and the Papacy especially, had been angered by his attempts to meddle in their affairs and use the new Patriarchate of Rome against them, not to mention his demands for larger contributions of men from ecclesiastical lands in times of war. The common people (and indeed all sections of society) were alienated by his arbitrary exercise of justice, whilst corruption ran rampant at every level of society. Alfgeir’s attempt to play the clever statesman by increasing the power of the city of Pisa and building it up as a rival to the Republic of Cyrenaica (which in turn gave him leverage to place tolls on Cyrenaica’s trading operations) failed spectacularly. Pisa’s loyalty was never truly guaranteed (they would in fact take part in the rebellion against him at the end of his reign) whilst the previously loyal Cyrenaican Republic was turned into an enemy. Meanwhile the nobility regarded him as a tyrant who wanted absolute authority over his vassals, stamping upon every ancient right of the nobility – in Italy there was the added religious and cultural dimension as a largely Catholic Italo-German nobility were naturally anti-monarch.

Four decades of misrule had set Egypt against its King – when Civil War broke out in early 1078 it was hardly a surprise. What was a shock was the scale of the uprising as an absolute majority of the lords of the realm turned against their King. Everywhere from Abyssinia through the Levant, Italy, North Africa and even traditionally secure Egypt proper saw the outbreak of war. Across the realm conflict raged. Within two months Alfgeir had to withdraw his forces from Italy, by the end of 1078 Tunis had fallen and early the next year Tripoli was also lost. Effectively abandoning the Western parts of his realm Alfgeir grouped his armies in Egypt where a large rebel army had settled into a siege of Damietta. As the loyalist army assembled in Alexandria the rebels at Damietta awaited battle – fearing that the swelling numbers of the loyalists (who again benefited from the large scale recruitment of foreign mercenaries) might defeat them in battle and tip the balance of the war against the rebellion.

Alfgeir II’s father had died on the field of battle, if anything his own death was far more spectacular. In March 1080 Alfgeir finally left Alexandria on the road to face down the rebel army in the Delta once and for all. En route he had stopped at an inn with a small retinue – little did he know that one of his close advisors, Mayor Gunnar of Marabout, had in fact betrayed him. Shortly after the King settled down Gunnar and several others quietly slipped away – the inn had been rigged to explode as a makeshift fertilizer bomb had been set up. Gunnar’s fiery betrayal incinerated the King; the rebels might have hoped that this would be the end of the war. They would be badly mistaken.

When I played through as Arpad Magyar of Tengri scourge of the Austrohungarian lands I couldn't convert one prov with my learning 18 diviner, meanwhile my sons and the idiot running a theocracy on the adriatic coast turned 5 provs in less than 10 years... let the AI do it for you ;)

Converting provinces themselves seems to mostly depend on your relative moral authority. If its high and the religion of the province you're converting is low then conversion is going to happen fast. Converting pagan ruler seems to be really hard though :p.

This war is shaping up to be a very bloody stalemate, wonder if the Arabs will try anything with the two other powers of the middle east so bloodied.

I still could have squeezed a WP before Assemini - after that I was beaten :(.

Would be nice to get some updates on the rest of the world as the AAR continues, I'm sure there are plenty of interesting things going on. I like looking at the larger picture and Paradox games always deliver when it comes to surprising turns of events.

I think I'll do rest of the world update reasonably soon - possibly 1100, or possibly 1130. So you'll get this soon :).

I gathered that Serkland is too weakened to pose a threat anymore, but I suppose that if Alexandria (Eirikrandria?) and Constantinople butt head long enough we could see crippling civil wars erupt. And that just might open up for notions Catholics if nothing else.

The Catholics have a very bad century - losing all but one holy site causes a mass of heresy that almost overwhelms the last Catholic kingdoms before France recovers as a regional player. Its kinda frustrating from a story perspective that the Byz descended into CWs just when they have the upper hand on me and I am suffering through internal problems - they could have really weakened me.

Maybe it's a stupid idea, but a possible name for your entire realm could be Suðrland (The Southern Land) or Suðrriki (The Southern Realm). Considering how well the Vikings got around, it sort of makes sense. You have the original lands - Norway, Sweden, Denmark - the Russian lands - Garðariki - and then yours.

Southern Land or Realm actually sounds like a good name for Egypt in this AAR - maybe I should try and work that in somehow.

Someone else here said that you should,try to recreate the Western Roman Empire- I agree!

Seems closer to a Southern Roman Empire :p, but with the capture of Rome itself I do have a claim on Roman heritage.

Eirikr V Alfgeirsson af Munsö
Lived: 1054-1083
King of Egypt, Africa, Italy, Abyssinia, Jerusalem and Nubia: 1080-1083
Head of House af Munsö: 1080-1083​

Eirikr V was another Egyptian monarch who had great potential but saw his life tragically cut short – dying, like his father, at the hands of assassins from within his own realm. At the young age of 20, in 1074, he had left the comfort of Alexandria to travel to India where he served as a mercenary commanding an Egypto-Norse band in the army of the ruler of Bengal. At the outbreak of the Civil War he had left India, returning home in 1079. When his father died he was already with the loyalist army – ready to lead it immediately into battle.

At the Battle of Burlus Eirikr led a numerically superior army to a decisive triumph over the rebels. Within months of the victory at Burlus Eirikr had seen the rebellion in the East collapse. In Abyssinia the loyalists had always held the upper hand, finally managing to eliminate their opponents. In Egypt proper and the Levant the rebellion found itself incapable of recovering from Burlus – soon falling away. With the East of his Empire secure Eirikr sailed West to liberate North Africa.

King Eirikr proceeded to retake the rebel bastions one by one. By now the rebellion had lost virtually all momentum and was haemorrhaging troops to desertion. With this in mind the rebel leaders of the West came to the negotiating table in late 1081. Although Eirikr’s eventual victory would be an inevitability the rebels still totally dominated the West and could delay this victory by years. Eirikr therefore agreed to an amnesty for the all the rebel leaders with the exception of the Jarl of Mallorca (the figurehead of the rebellion) – in exchange the rebels would lay down their arms and accept Eirikr V as King.

With a truce being signed in Rome in 1081, Eirikr chose to remain in Italy rather than return to Alexandria as he prepared for a new military campaign – the aim to force the French out of Italy. Early the following year the Jarl of Verona gained control of the cities of Trento and Padua in North-Eastern Italy. Shortly afterward Egypt declared war upon France.

In January 1083 Eirikr and a small entourage left the siege of Pavia for Milan, leaving the siege under the control of the King’s generals. On the way the King’s party was ambushed by a group of assassins – the King was fatally wounded by an arrow; by the time the surviving members of his party had reached Milan he was already dead.

Eirikr’s assassins were traced back to a minor figure in the rebellion that he had finally defeated less than two years before. It is unlikely in the extreme that the second murder of an Egyptian King in under half a decade had been accomplished without loftier backer – in truth the mayor of El-Kanoun was the scapegoat of the true killers. As Eirikr’s baby son Johan, not yet two years old, became King there was a palace coup in Alexandria. Most of Eirikr’s most trusted allies had accompanied him to Italy; his supporters within the capital were vastly outnumbered by the conspirators who quickly established control over the regency council. Defeated on the field of battle – the men who opposed the Egyptian monarchy’s overbearing power now controlled the crown.