• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Panzer4life

First Lieutenant
24 Badges
Aug 20, 2012
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
The Eagle flies high! A Brandenburg AAR
bran.jpgprussia.jpggerman.jpg

This is my first (and certainly not last) EUIV AAR. This AAR will be me making Brandenburg the large Germanic nation, and focus on role playing. Here is the setup;

1:Game start is 1444.
2: Options will be easy difficulty, as I am not the best and EU IV just came out.
2:Form Prussia, and then form Greater Germany (Germany cores, plus Austria and Denmark).
3:Gain control of the HRE.
4: No colonizing the New world.
5: Dominate over Poland and Lithuania, once the above is done.

Updates will be on a regular basis, with one coming within a week or sooner, depending on how well I am doing. The first update will be tomorrow.

Special Update!

Thank you all for reading this AAR, my first sucessful AAR for EUIV, and as a result; I am proud to post a link to the next two AAR that I am working on; the link will be made ready when I post the thread.

Viva I'Italia: A Tuscany AAR: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?732477-Viva-l-Italia-A-Tuscany-AAR
The Kingdom of God: A Papal States AAR: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?733034-The-Kingdom-of-God!-A-Papal-States-AAR&p=16388229#post16388229

Last edited:
Great choice! Good luck!

Update: got the images all ready to go, but due to uploading issues to the forum, it may take awhile, as when using attachments tag i get a number of 'invalid URL' notices. :( So if the update isn't out tommorrow, I will do a double update Monday.

Imgur is a good site, and another option is Photobucket. Either way, I'd like to see you dominate Germany, then Europe, then the world! :D

@Webstantine: Thanks for telling me about imagur, but sadly the issue is when I try to post a third image, keeps giving me the "invalid URL". I don't know what the problem is. Hope someone can explain what the issue is so I can get the AAR started proper.

Ps: ???? How did some of my images become thumbnails?

Attachments

• Brandenburg144_zps1cc37cb1.png
    Brandenburg144_zps1cc37cb1.png
    937,5 KB · Views: 429
  • Firstmission_zpsf43de412.png
    Firstmission_zpsf43de412.png
    978,9 KB · Views: 284
  • G7cmp8h.jpg
    G7cmp8h.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 255
  • 2wZbYLW.jpg
    2wZbYLW.jpg
    303,6 KB · Views: 297
Chapter One: The Eagle and The Order

G7cmp8h.jpg

In 1444, Brandenburg was at risk of being left behind, like many small nations. The power hungry nations of France, England, Austria, Muscovy, Sweden, and the Ottomans, threatened the minor nations by denying it the right to live peacefully. So Brandenburg decided to forge its path with blood and steel. It first needed to reclaim the province of Neumark, which was under the control of the Teutonic Order.

2wZbYLW.jpg

This goal was difficult, as the Teutonic order had a fair number of allies to Brandenburg's none, and its army was larger than Brandenburgs. So Brandenburg looked to the Order's enemies. The first canidate was Poland, as its army rivaled the Order in size, and it shared the Southern Border of the Order. So Brandenburg made an alliance with them first.

xnz93HC.jpg

The next ally the Brandenburg sought was Bohemia. Not only was it an elector of the Holy Roman Empire, but it also hated the Teutonic order for its own reason. So Brandenburg got them into an alliance.

QKJYLPb.jpg

With these alliances, Brandenburg almost declared war on the Teutonic Order. However, a review of the Teutonic Order showed a monster waiting, and it delayed the invasion against the Teutonic Order; Lithuania. Lithuania was a truly massive nation, and while not an ally of the Order, was guaranteeing its independence, so waging war on the order was an impossibility.

KbMzMy4.jpg

But the people were rallied against the Order, so to keep the peace, diplomats began fabricating claims on Vorpormmen, a province of Pomerania. This allowed Brandenburg to get a casus beli against Pomerania, and even better, both Poland and Bohemia were eager to invade Pomerania.

oQiR4n8.jpg

While Pomerania had a army of 5 regiments, it was no match for the combined efforts of the Polish, Bohemian, and the Brandenburg armies. They lost all of their forces, and soon were forced to concede Vorpormmen to Brandenburg, while also becoming its vassal.

ZsYqg7z.jpg
a90WUdV.jpg

This expansion enabled enough time for Lithunina to become the lesser in a Personal Union with Poland, granting the alliance even more soldiers, which were needed, as The Teutonic order made alliances with Hungary and the Livonian Order. But Brandenburg was ready, and declared war.

TTwljnV.jpg

Both sides had over 20 regiments, but Brandenburg's alliance had nearly 4 times as many men, and were better positioned to strike at the Teutonic and Livonian Order. This lead to the Teutonic Order's allaince to getting continually routed.

GtaIsM1.jpg

But tragedy nearly struck Brandenburg, as after winning the siege of Neumark, it saw Bohemia getting invaded by Hungary. Naturally, Brandenburg went in to help its ally, and routed the Hungarians easily enough, but the pride of victory nearly cost the entire Brandenburg army as it got into a fight with 15 regiments of Hungarian soldiers, which was nearly twice the size of the army Brandenburg had. Looking for a way out and keeping its units alive, Brandenburg demanded the concession of Neumark to Brandenburg, annulling its alliance with Hungary, and paying 20 ducats to Brandenburg. This peace allowed the army of Brandenburg to return to Berlin, being welcomed home as heroes.

zEyjeNt.jpg

With Neumark under control, Brandenburg went on to focus on other issues. Brandenburg realized it needed a navy, if only to protect its trade interest. 3 barques were commissioned, but further expansions were needed to create a proper navy.

hIcQERZ.jpg

In the field of research, military, diplomatic, and administrative research projects were completed. After much discussions, the thought to expand diplomatic ideas was decided upon, as Brandenburg's desire to unite the Germanic princes under one nation would require masterful diplomacy, and having only 4 relations and 2 diplomats was hindering Brandenburg.

tiLrWug.jpg

However, leaving the Teutonic Order savagely beaten was a disaster for Brandenburg, who wanted to conquer the lands for the glory of the Germanic people. After the truce expired, Poland launched a massive invasion into the Teutonic Order, claiming the lands of Danzig, Warmia, and Chelmno. This meant that if Brandenburg were to conquer the Order, laying claims wouldn't be the way, at least for the time being.

4SNMGDr.jpg

Due to the Polish intervention, Brandenburg turned its attention west, notably to Anhalt and Mecklenburg. Anhalt was in a war with the Hansa, and were fearful of Brandenburg. Deciding to take advantage of Anhalt's fear, Brandenburg gave them an alliance offer, a royla marriage, and began improving relations. While Anhalt thought it was Brandenburg being a caring nation, in reality it was Brandenburg setting Anhalt up for being a vassal of Brandenburg.

JG7ALXc.jpg

Mecklenburg, on the other hand, was going to be a direct target of 'aggressive' negotiations of Brandenburg, with diplomats once again setting up claims to the land. It will lead to interesting plans for future expansion.

01J1jFn.jpg

Brandenburg also began the project to annex Pomerania, and it decided to review its diplomatic relations, to see where it could expand in the near future. Some of Brandenburg urged to continue the war of superioity of the Teutonic Order, while others argue the fighting of the northern Germanic nations, and other still suggesting breaking the alliance of one of its partners to expand and claim land fit for Brandenburg. The Future is clouded by future wars and diasters, but for now, Brandenburg is going foward in glory.

qMs6WPN.jpg
fMifL10.jpg

Attachments

• G7cmp8h.jpg
    G7cmp8h.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 95
  • 2wZbYLW.jpg
    2wZbYLW.jpg
    303,6 KB · Views: 97
Great start!

Thanks everyone, and trust me, it will get even better. I plan to have the next one out soon (today or tomorrow), and it will be another 20 year strech. Though I might do a double post if I have time to do one. ;)

Great AAR! Keep it up, really looking forward to the next post! It appears, like me, you have a certain taste for the history of the German Peoples! I always play Brandenburg (in CK2, EU3, EU4), Prussia (Vic 2, MotE) and Germany (HOI3). IMHO, Germanic nations have the most interesting/chaotic/fun history in Europe, and if not the the world!

Chapter 2: The Eagle spreads its wing. (1460-1481)

After the war with the Teutonic Order and its allies, reclaiming Neumark, and gaining various allies, Brandenburg found itself in a peculair position. Many of the Northern Germanic nations, such as the Hansa, Mecklenburg, Anhalt, and Saxonny were waging war amongst themselves. This would allow Brandenburg to expand of course, but would leave the Germanic nations to be quickly manipulated by larger and more dominating nations, such as France and Austria. To ensure Germanic unity, Brandenburg began down the path of getting the Germanic people onto one side.

Fa7qiNo.jpg

However, before Brandenburg could go to war, the king fell ill and died, probably due to a heart attack. This left Brandenburg being led by a regency council. This meant that Brandenburg could declare war, which hampered Brandenburg's plan on reclaiming Mecklenburg.

spgn9q1.jpg

But thankfully the small nation of Anhalt felt Brandenburg's desire to unite the Germanic nations, and declare a war on Magdeburg, a nation that Brandenburg hated, as it was similar to the Teutonic Order, an archbishop nation.

4YfYwZQ.jpg

Thankfully, none of Magdeburg's allies came in to intervene, which meant that Brandenburg's armies came in to crush the weak state.

wr89Xpa.jpg

Magdeburg's armies were quickly crushed by the alliance, and soon the capital was sieged. However, Brandenburg didn't desire to annex the minor nation. Rather it wanted to wait for something that would come to sweep the nations, as mentioned by the Regency council's note;

March 1st, the year of our lord 1461,
We sent our envoy to deliver our peace deal to the besieged state of Magdeburg, of annulling its various treaties and paying us a considerable amount of ducats. Many in the council declined to annex the minor nation, as some felt that the Church was going to change. Many of the bishops in our nation are growing weary of the Papal influence, and desire to form a new church. We are suppressing these thought, but secretly, we wonder if they could be used to unite the Germanic nations. What if we become the leader of the Holy Roman Empire, and force them to change to our new religions? It would unite the Germanic nations to this new belief, and allow us to avoid the issue of Catholic zealot if we were to change religions and have all these lands. It is a thought.

amc4Mny.jpg

A blow came to Brandenburg's plan in 1462. Following a devastating war with Poland and its allies, the Teutonic Order became a vassal of the Eastern Giant. This caused much alarm to the Regency council, who saw that despite that the Order was a threat, that it was still German, and needed to be in the arms of Brandenburg. Thus, efforts to unite the Germanic nations double efforts, with a alliance deal with Saxonny being signed.

vSyY7JD.jpg

After the allinace was signed, Brandenburg reviewed its stance in the HRE, and made a mission to get Cologne, a minor HRE member state that was an elector, to vote for Brandenburg. This would grant Brandenburg a 4-1-2 vote against Bohemia (who were selfish to being the Holy Roman Emperor), and Austria, who was the current head of the HRE. But the mission eventually failed, due to the distance between each nation and Brandenburg feeling that Cologne was being overly-aggressive in its wars with other HRE states.

LTGZBO0.jpg
The state of the HRE, 1463

40PgJOV.jpg

Following the review of the HRE, Brandenburg got dragged into a war with Saxxony against Mecklenburg and its allies. Brandenburg didn't fear any of these nations, as its army was on the rise, and saw an chance to take Mecklenburg despite the regency council.

orPnxoY.jpg

Sadly for Brandenburg, Saxonny got what it wanted, and left the state of Mecklenburg alive, and didn't give anything to Brandenburg, something that Brandenburg wouldn't forget anytime soon.

x1IcVz0.jpg

Thankfully for Brandenburg, the prince was now old enough to become king, and soon Brandenburg began planning its next few wars.

Tp5NFY8.jpg

Following the King's rise to power, the state of Pomerania became a part of Brandenburg following a lengthy annexation process. Now, Brandenburg owned a sizable coastal region, which may prove vital in the years to come. In any case, it improved Brandenburg trade power.

e3Skg48.jpg

In 1467, Brandenburg formed an alliance with Triet, in the hopes of getting another elector of the HRE to be a puppet of Brandenburg. In addition to this, in 1468, the Palptine states sent a bribe, which improved Brandenburg's relations with them.

ETT8y9p.jpg

7p66q2n.jpg

However, the beginning of a long series of incidents involving the three major electors, Austria, Bohemia, and Brandenburg would begin in 1469. After laying claims on the province of Niedelausitz, a major province in Bohemia, Brandenburg began gathering its allies to begin the mother of all battles.

yyX5Y9a.jpg

In 1469, Brandenburg began the war y invading and beginning the siege of Niedelausitz. Before Bohemia could properly react, Polish and Lithuanian soldiers poured into the Eastern Borders, and they, along with the Teutonic order, began the massive siege effort of the entire state of Bohemia.

MCa9I6Z.jpg

The compairson of the armies showed how unprepared Bohemia was for war. With five times as many infantry and seven times as many cavalry units, Bohemia had no chance of winning the war.

EOOmBxX.jpg

An excerpt from a passing bard tells of the war,

I thought I had seen some nasty wars during the 100 years war, but the fighting in Bohemia was unparalleled. Polish soldiers were run down Bohemian men that tried to resist, Brandenburgan troops laid siege to the northern Province with brutal efficiency, and no where was the Bohemian army to be seen. It was as if they had given up any hope of resisting the will of Brandenburg's nasty alliance. When will the war end, and what will become of Bohemia?

The war came to an end in 1470, with Brandenburg getting improved taxes and diplomatic relations before wars end as new ideas. But the peace that Bohemia had to pay were harsh. They had to release Silesia as a sovereign nations, release Niedelausitz to Brandenburg, and pay 88 ducats for losing the war. However, later on, Austria would demand Brandenburg to return the land, which Brandenburg would refuse.

gvhAZD8.jpg

Following the success of the war, Brandenburg turned to a nation they waged war against a few years ago; Mecklenburg. The goal was clear, annex the minor state for the glory of Brandenburg. It also served as a means to get close in to Luebeck for a follow-up war, war with the Hansa. The war lasted from 1472 until 1473, and ended with the nation of Mecklenburg getting annexed.

5cnG95X.jpg

In the following year, Brandenburg began forming claims to Luebeck and Oberlaustiz, and then it became clear to Brandenburg's elite that Oberlaustiz must be theirs. Also, Brandenburg got Silesia to become a vassal of the mighty state.

u214KTT.jpg

In the year 1476, Brandenburg declared war on Bohemia, whose only ally was Magdeburg, a state that Brandenburg had experience suppressing quickly.

9VW9RaU.jpg

It wasn't long until Magdeburg quickly peace out, paying ducats to Brandenburg for peace. This allowed Brandenburg to finish the conquest of Oberlaustiz, robbing Bohemia of much needed land. Again, Austria tried to convince Brandenburg to return the land robbed from Bohemia, but once more Brandenburg stood firm, not fearing the split Austrians, who were no match for Brandenburg's web of alliances.

WClqgNT.jpg

In 1476, Brandenburg began the process of annexing Silesia into Brandenburg, by allowing Silesia to become a vassal of the state. A noted official had this to say at the time;
The Annexation of this vital region will allow Brandenburg to prepare for any major defensive operations in Eastern Europe. They border along a longer stretch of Poland than any of Brandenburg's provinces, so it is of the utmost importance to the nation to annex them.

A5lDtFH.jpg

In 1478, a Bishop paid the state of Brandenburg 28 ducats to be allowed to preach. This caused some to feel that reforms to the church was coming. Some praised the coming change, others feared it, but the leaders of Brandenburg wish it would happen soon so they could enact the plans thought of during the regent council's reign.

Cm0BwFi.jpg

But in 1478, something that affected the entire nation began. Brandenburg began the war for Luebeck against the Hansa. While it by itself was weak, it was its allies that threatened Brandenburg. To the far east was the Livonian Order, but that wasn't the concern. The Concern came from across the Batlic Ocean, to the North. The threat was Sweden. the Juggernaught had the ability to wipe Brandenburg off the map should it chose to.

J9lRRqN.jpg

however, Sweden didn't become involved. The reason were probably due to Denmark pushing north into Sweden, and due to a fractured alliance with the Hansa. But this proved to be enough for Brandenburg, as the war became a completer victory for Brandenburg. In 1479, the Livonian Order paid Brandenburg considerable amounts of Ducats for peace. Then following that, Hansa accepted the peace deal sent forth by Brandenburg; Luebeck would become a province in Brandenburg, and the Hansa would become a vassal of Brandenburg.

E8aSKXm.jpg

A look into what Brandenburg became in the year 1481 showed a massive expansion of terrotires. From the 1444 size of three province soon became a 12 province Germanic major nation by 1481, soon to become a 15 province nation. The diplomatic relations changed little for Brandenburg, other than losing the alliances with Bohemia and Saxonny (due to Saxonny being cowards and never joining the war efforts of Brandenburg). Also, Bohemia became a TPM due to a war with Saxonny.

4R3WgHQ.jpg

iMsMr4P.jpg

Great AAR! Keep it up, really looking forward to the next post! It appears, like me, you have a certain taste for the history of the German Peoples! I always play Brandenburg (in CK2, EU3, EU4), Prussia (Vic 2, MotE) and Germany (HOI3). IMHO, Germanic nations have the most interesting/chaotic/fun history in Europe, and if not the the world!

Well, here you go! Another post, another great bi-decade for Brandenburg and the Germanic people!

Impressive progress, and very clever use of alliances to wreck Bohemia. Your biggest concern is that one day Poland might turn on you, I guess.

@Ashantai: Thank you for the compliment. Actually, the Polish problem should solve itself. In a test game I did to see what happened if Brandenburg became massive before becoming Prussian (which dictates a religion change) Poland kept getting over-ran, year after year, by the Ottomans. So I am hoping for a similar thing to occur. Jump the gun by attacking Poland when they are busy with the Ottomans should allow me to get the lands the Teutonic order had, and allow me to form prussia.

But yeah, next update should be Tuesday guys. It will span from 1481 to 1500, maybe a bit more in case i get into a war.