• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When dealing with Mongols, always give them horsemeat.

True, but where is the button to give horsemeat? Their is only the option to gift, and what use have Mongols for money? ;)

On another note, here are my two questions. After a few minutes of staring at the screen it finally came back to me.

1. How to best deal with the Mongols. Besides horsemeat.

and

2. When the Mongols win an invasion, do they just take the dejure land of a Kingdom/Empire, or do they capture all land within the defeated realm?

Have large retinues, so you can quickly and easily take as many provinces as possible in order to force white peace or demands on them.

Especially when they're settled and before they attack you. As when they attack you have to prepare your forces, and by the time you do - typically the doomstacks have arrived.

Also, it's basically a conquest invasion.

So when they invade Persia, they take all the land of the Kingdom, and sometimes Empires, and the Khan personally takes the land of conquered territory.

The way I deal with the Mongols is to quickly assault their holdings before their doomstack arrives. Use ships! Get the war score over 50%, then engage the doomstack to bleed it a bit. Sue for White Peace before the defeat. If you lose against the Mongols, you will lose a lot of territory.

Or, if you feel you are strong enough to destroy the doomstack, try it! That's what I had to do with the blasted Timurids.

Have large retinues, so you can quickly and easily take as many provinces as possible in order to force white peace or demands on them.

Especially when they're settled and before they attack you. As when they attack you have to prepare your forces, and by the time you do - typically the doomstacks have arrived.

Also, it's basically a conquest invasion.

So when they invade Persia, they take all the land of the Kingdom, and sometimes Empires, and the Khan personally takes the land of conquered territory.

The way I deal with the Mongols is to quickly assault their holdings before their doomstack arrives. Use ships! Get the war score over 50%, then engage the doomstack to bleed it a bit. Sue for White Peace before the defeat. If you lose against the Mongols, you will lose a lot of territory.

Or, if you feel you are strong enough to destroy the doomstack, try it! That's what I had to do with the blasted Timurids.

Thank you both of you for the advice, hopefully the Empire can weather the storm.

After they declare war against you, get ALL your troops and start channeling them toward their borders in 15,000 men stacks. Then get them into all the enemy provinces that border you and start storming their holdings (do not wait for the normal time it takes to siege them). Your goal is to reach 100% winning score before their doomstack reaches you. IF their doomstack is away from your borders when they declare the war, you have a good chance that this will happen. However, their truce lasts only 1 year, so by the next year they'll be on top of you again.

The only way to get rid of them once and for all, is to lure their doomstack in a coastal province and land a larger army on the doomstack directly from your fleet. For example, if their doomstack is 120k, your own army should be 150k for you to have a good chance at victory. You can try using an army of yours as bait for their doomstack to pursue until it arrives at a provincial province, but this is much more difficult if your borders with them are in Mesopotamia. You may be forced to lose a war to bring your common borders closer to the sea. Once you eliminate their doomstack, they are finished, at least until the next Mongol Horde arrives...

However, you might get lucky and the 2 mongol hordes (ilkhanate/golden horde) might turn against one-another before they get to you, which will diminish the numbers of their respective doomstacks into more manageable levels.

EDIT: Do not assassinate their Khan because each new Mongol leader has the option to call an extra 20,000-men army to add to his doomstack.

Last edited:
Chapter 27: Acts of Mercy

Bashar ibn Dawlat lay on the floor, shivering. He no longer noticed the repulsive smells of the dungeon.

He heard the dungeon door swing open and bang against the wall. "It's probably that old bastard-infidel, coming to continue my torture". He had heard cheering outside a few days previous. "Damn these infidels! As I and who knows how many others rot in this sty, they celebrate. Curse them all."

He heard his cell's door open. He didn't want to look, but was intrigued when he heard a woman's voice.

A woman in a flowing white dress stood in the frame of the door. Her face was almost blindingly white, and elaborate black curls dropped to her pale shoulders. Bashar stared as she seemingly glided instantly to his side, kneeling down beside him. She seemed to light up the room, pushing back the darkness. He felt better just looking at her.

His dry, bleeding lips suddenly became moist, and he could feel life being restored in him.

"Who is this woman?" he thought, as her hand grasped his.

Theodora walked over to the nearest cell door, and ordered the guard to open it. "What a repulsive place. I cannot believe that my sainted father would do this to other humans, be they believer or heathen."

The guard unlocked the door, revealing only a pile of rags on the floor. Then the rags moved. "That's a man." she said to herself, her face distorted with horror. She quickly regained her composure, when she saw the man look over at her. His eyes were dull and lifeless.

She moved over to the pathetic creature's side, taking a canister of water from the warden and gently poured water into his mouth. She felt his hand grasp hers, and she squeezed it, to let him know it was alright.

She had the doctors take over and went to inspect the other cell's . In them she found many other men just like the first one.

Later, having checked the records, she found out the man had been in the dungeon for decades already. He had committed no crimes, he was just a prisoner of war. "He doesn't deserve to suffer like this." Once he was better, she gave him an audience with her; to tell him he was to be released.

Basilissa Theodora II, unlike her father, began her reign with massive popularity. She was young and attractive, had already produced a male heir and had few faults in her personality. Furthermore, she became known for her support of culture and the arts, purchasing an icon of St. George in June 1193.

While the Steward and others were critical of spending money during the middle of a large war, the issue became irrelevant when the Caliph surrendered a few months later.

She won further support by reforming the administration of her personal demesne, delegating authority and removing corrupt officials. Under the reign of her father, the corrupt officials had abused their positions, causing disgruntled peasants to form robber bands to make a living. With Theodora's reforms however, they surrendered and offered their devotion and loyalty to the Empress. They were granted amnesty by Theodora, and due to the experience they had gained fighting elite Imperial units, some were given positions in her personal retinue. Unbeknownst to Theodora however, one of the former robbers was a member of the Order of Assassins. His new job was that of a palace guard...

In honour of the victory over the Muslim forces, a Triumph was held. The streets were crowded with revelers, purple banners flew from every building, and shouts of delight were heard as the victorious soldiers marched past in their shiny armour. Not all the shouts of delight were coming from the crowds however. Inside the palace, Guard Alexandros -real name Muhammad- stood on guard outside the Empresses personal chambers while the Empress "conducted business" with her husband.

"Not yet. I must bide my time. My goal is to sent a message, not to get caught." he thought, watching the other guardsman, Alexios, through the corner of his eye. Guard Alexios had no idea that his fellow guard, whom he had gotten to know well, was planning the murder of the Empresses husband, as well as anyone who got in the way.

The peace following the Jihad lasted only a few days. On the 14th of October, Pope Telephorus II decided to make an attempt to redeem himself and declared war upon the Empire.

*Yawn* I'm getting tired of you Telephorus

The first battle of the war was at Viterbo, and ended with a decisive victory for the Empire. Next came Foligno, which put an end to Papal resistance.

I know that theirs not much the Pope can do now to resist me, but this was just pathetic

Hoho the Assassins... It's a pity that they don't show up in the Old Gods 867 start.
Haven't they risen and operated between the XI and XIII Centuries, though...?

Or alternatively,:ninja: you can play as the Mongols yourself!:D Yay!!:laugh: Maybe

Their name is properly pronounced Hashassin,:wacko: but we say Assassin so we don't sound like we're sneezing.:D

"HASHASIN!!!":ninja:

"Bless you":eek:o

:rofl:

Or alternatively,:ninja: you can play as the Mongols yourself!:D Yay!!:laugh: Maybe

Forget the Mongols,:sleep: what about the Aztecs!?!:blink::ninja::blink::ninja:

Hogswash!!:angry: I've played the Mongols numerous times,:angry: and I've NEVER seen hide nor hair of it!:angry: The reinforcements are a lie!!:angry::angry:

No playing the Mongols or Aztec's for me; I haven't upgraded to Old Gods and I never bought Sunset Invasion. As for Mongol reinforcements, it may not be given to players so as to not make it too easy; after all, give a player a celibate lunatic Count of Canarias and he can somehow manage to conquer most of the map with more than half the game left to go. :eek:hmy:

The next update should be tomorrow; after that will be the 1200 World Update. I'll try to have world updates every 20 years, but their won't be a 1220, because... well, I forgot. :rolleyes:

Chapter 28: Trial by War

After the conclusion of the war with the Papacy, another triumph was held, to further celebrate Imperial glory. Even as the end of one war was celebrated, troops throughout the Empire were back on the march. Gaeta was captured from the heretical Pisans not long after the birth of Theodora's first daughter, Anastatsia (named after her deceased aunt), and the Imperial borders were pushed further east with the conquest of Kartli in August, and Palmyra in December, a few days away from Christmas.

1195 started off calmly, besides a few small wars in the east, not much of note happened until April. First Theodora was announced to be pregnant once again. And then the Marshal was found murdered.

Who could have done this?

An elaborate funeral was given to Zenebios, in honour of his service on the Council. The new Marshal, Doux Basileios of Paphalagonia gave the eulogy, praising his predecessors loyalty to the Empire and his zealous devotion to the Orthodox faith.
The killer had not been caught, assumed to have fled. Muhammad was relieved that they didn't suspect him. After all, why should they? He didn't look like a member of the Hashashin. He looked Greek, because he was half Greek. His father had been a Greek soldier, a general in fact, who had gone on to become Marshal of the Empire before his gruesome death at the hands of his son.

Over the next few years, the Empire continued on it's path of slow but steady growth. Theodora gave birth to two daughters, Maria and Eirene; and Imperial control was established in parts of Croatia, Mesopotamia, Syria, and Armenia. Then in 1198, an old friend came round to play.

You know Caliph, just because I'm at war with some far-flung emir way out in the boonies doesn't mean I'm incapable of defending one county from your fluorescent green splotch on the map

The war went smoothly for the Empire. After two battles, the Fatimid army was defeated, and the legions began their siege of the exiled Egyptian's territory. The largest effect of the war was that it convinced many important persons in Constantinople that the Sultanate could not be just left alone and forgotten. They would keep coming back, and sooner or later they would pick an opportune moment to do so and win. In addition, the Egyptian people would never truly recognize the Empire as their ruler's until the Fatimid's were gone. The sentence for the exiled empire was decided. It was to be executed.​

It is always so annoying to get the last spots of a nation. They always seem to have a temple here, a castle there...like dealing with any infestation I suppose. I hope you don't have that trouble with them.

It is always so annoying to get the last spots of a nation. They always seem to have a temple here, a castle there...like dealing with any infestation I suppose. I hope you don't have that trouble with them.

The main problem I have with the Fatimid's is that for the longest time, it seemed that every time I took a duchy from them, they captured an entire kingdom from someone else, meaning that every time went to war, they were just as powerful as before, if not more. Fortunately for me, the Fatimids are running out of places to run to.

Their is no escape...