Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 32 - The more the merrier!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I just realized (may have been asked but can't check the entire thread) will this require the same dlc's to be activated by everyone? I'm sure sprites won't cause a problem but any dlc that has events probably will. (Nooo don't force me to buy dlc's I dislike just to be able to join most MP games) True expansions I can completely understand but I dislike the idea of it requiring perfect DLC match. Perhaps a compromise where the host's machine sends the needed info during the MP game if an event happens that someone doesn't have the 5$ dlc for. (Don't see this as being a huge problem in DLC sales as most people play this for single player anyways although that might change a bit with the new system)

I just realized (may have been asked but can't check the entire thread) will this require the same dlc's to be activated by everyone? I'm sure sprites won't cause a problem but any dlc that has events probably will. (Nooo don't force me to buy dlc's I dislike just to be able to join most MP games) True expansions I can completely understand but I dislike the idea of it requiring perfect DLC match. Perhaps a compromise where the host's machine sends the needed info during the MP game if an event happens that someone doesn't have the 5$ dlc for. (Don't see this as being a huge problem in DLC sales as most people play this for single player anyways although that might change a bit with the new system)

No, only host needs all DLCs, like in CK2 atm.

64 is interesting... I am not sure where they got all the people to test 64 players though. Any update from the developers regarding this? 64 or 32?

The stream "Ask Paradox Anything" said 64 multiple times, and while I have heard 32 as well, the stream is more recent, so unless the streamers were mistaken, that may have been updated.

Edit: yeah, this link at 1:28:25ish http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/b/426650333

You are right, they must have upped it. I assumed 32 as that has always been the case, I suppose with the new steamworks API 64 is more reasonable.

Please feel free to ensure STEAM is not required to buy or use this game because I will not be using it at that point. You guys screwed up HOI2 and 3 with your move-is-attack thingy, and I am VERY GLAD I didn't have to spend a lot of money to find out that IT DOESN'T WORK. On paper, EU3 sounded fabulous, but only after playing it for a few hours was it possible to find out that it just didn't work either. Now you propose to change nearly everything about EU4 AND to make it COMPLETELY impossible to get a refund if it turns into another MOO3 by chaining it with STEAM?

Please assure me STEAM is NOT a requirement to play or even buy. I don't want it on my computer at all. I don't care if you think it's an unreasonable phobia, or if they deserve it or not, I don't want it and about half the internet feels the same way. I also would appreciate knowing that move-is-attack will NOT be a part of EU4. How it made it into HOI3 I don't know, as no description I could find mentioned it, but thank God I was suspicious.

Woa where do people like you come from?

All you people complaining about steam really confuse me, since steam's multiplayer systems are 1000x more reliable than any Paradox multiplayer has ever been!
Also if you haven't been playing these Paradox games multiplayer you are missing out on the whole point in my opinion o_O

Woa where do people like you come from?

All you people complaining about steam really confuse me, since steam's multiplayer systems are 1000x more reliable than any Paradox multiplayer has ever been!
Also if you haven't been playing these Paradox games multiplayer you are missing out on the whole point in my opinion o_O

Don't argue with him, he has "half the internet" on his side.

Sad to see this be on steam. So i looked through the whole thread, and pretty sure LAN is still available what about internet games? You know, where you type the host's IP.

I wonder how big the save files are and how long it takes to connect to a game that has been running for at least 100 years. Currently in CK2 it can take up to 5 minutes to transfer the save files... If the players in the game have to wait all that time in a paused game, it can be quite annoying if you have people joining every 10 to 15 minutes.

So no multiplayer without Steam?

What about a LAN mode? Am I still able to play a multiplayer game without Steam and without Internet connection?

I'm thinking about this scenario for a LAN mode:

-You (and all the other players) connect to the internet and install and update the game trough Steam. Then you put Steam into offline mode, since you're not going to be connected to the internet.
-You (and all the other players) connect to the LAN, getting LAN IP's.
-The server is installed in one of the computers of the LAN. Now, I don't know if the server would require an steam login or not; my hope is that the standalone server is a separate exe able to run without steam.
-The server is configured to not try to publish its IP to the internet (since you're on a LAN) and obviously it will be running on an IP of the LAN
-All the players launch the game in their computers, and connect directly by IP to the IP of the server, and that's it.

Of course I'm assuming that the integration of steamworks into the game won't forbid you to connect directly by IP to a server when steam is in offline mode. I always imagine Steamworks as a group of services to which a game code can hook up when it chooses to do it, but which don't deprive the game of having its own network connecting capabilities.

Apart from this subject, as somebody has said already, I would LOVE to have this multiplayer system patched into CKII (specially the standalone server); more specifically, even if it was released as some kind of DLC, I would pay for it gladly, even if it costed it, lets say, €20.