• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

VinceDN

I'm a Photoshop Wizard
64 Badges
Jun 22, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Surviving Mars
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Empire of Sin - Premium Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
f916.jpg

79gr.png

After some lengths of actionscript debugging and rolling my face over the keyboard I am proud to present my PNP Multi-Flag Maker v6.5! This little tool will fully automate the flag and shieldmaking process, saving time and effort when modding GFX. This program is a revival of the old 'Easy Flag Maker' made by Fridericus Rex for HOI and Victoria. I have modernised and expanded on the basic set of actionscripts and added in a few of the more modern shadings such as Arturius' HOI3-style (as seen in WIF) and our own Post-Nuke Project 'Torn-Style' (as seen in PNP) made by myself. Further releases will include more options and flag shadings to choose from.

This tool was originally made for our own mod, Post-Nuke Project, but I decided to make a public version aswell as people seem to have forgotten the old Easy Flag Maker and it deserved an update. I have also expanded the readme so even first-time Photoshoppers will have an easy time setting up their flags.

Enjoy! ;)

Submitting shield and flag styles

If you have any shield and flagstyles you would like to be added to future versions of the Flagmaker, post a reply here and send a .PSD of your work files to either me or Laurence.

Bugs and problems

Please report all bugs and problems with the flag maker in this thread, add in a screenshot of your entire Photoshop workspace and a description of the error so we can try and repro.​

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    320,4 KB · Views: 467
  • 79gr.png
    79gr.png
    319,3 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
Reactions:
Version List

v6.5
- New GUI
- Release!​

v6.0
- Updated Post-Nuke Project-Style shading (Gradient mapped)
- Readme and documentation created​

v5.0
- Added HOI3-Style shield shading (Arturius)
- Fixed a formatting bug​

v4.5
- Fixed a flag saturation error with PNP-Style
- Fixed anti-aliasing error with DH-Style

No biggie, for PNP I had to do 140 flag/shield sets anyway and updating the flag maker to do the job for me must have saved me countless hours :p.

If anyone has extra shield and flag shadings they'd like included you can send them to me (Layered TIFF, PSD or GIMP files preferrably). I'm also trying to find the classic Darkest Hour shading that is being used in vanilla, as this version only includes an older HOI2 variation.

For some reason Photoshop seems to freeze up whenever I open the file.

Does it freeze when you load the action file or just when you open the .PSD? Are you using Photoshop CS1 or greater? 64 or 32 bit versions? My 64-bit causes these errors sometimes aswell :glare:

I fixed the Errors, it was my vast collection of Fonts causing it. I got rid of the ones that I don't use and now it's working. The HOI3 flags are too dark. I had to manually increase the brightness of the flags to make them stand out.

What about counters?

What about counters?

Not yet- I'm making those for a later build of PNP, and there will be a countermaker addon then. To edit counters we just replace the TAG_counter file right? But I've noticed I can't do anything fancy with it as they gave me visual errors when i tried adding metallic textures and grunge*

EDIT: Here's an example

garbledcounters.png

Last edited:
Not yet- I'm making those for a later build of PNP, and there will be a countermaker addon then. To edit counters we just replace the TAG_counter file right? But I've noticed I can't do anything fancy with it as they gave me visual errors when i tried adding metallic textures and grunge*

EDIT: Here's an example

View attachment 84675

I think the counter files are subject to some restrictions, but I don't know what these restrictions are exactly.

Can you also add a version for MDS-style flags and shields?

...as people seem to have forgotten the old Easy Flag Maker...
We never forget!

As for counters, nice guy KeldorKatarn (sp?) had long ago crafted a nicest tool to convert 24bit counters into acceptable 8bit ones. I once reuploaded it there.

By the way, the maker's HoI3 style action failed after finishing a shield. It couldn't find a «Layer 4» for its «Layer Via Copy» function.

I used the maker in the wollowing way: resized my flag, copied it to the clipboard, then ran the action whith «BG Werkbestand» layer active, just as I got used with the original EFM.

Ah, and I use Photoshop 9 (CS2).

Last edited:
It appears that I can't make a flag. When the shield is ready and the "save as shield_tag bmp and press play" message pops up, I save it, press play again, and gives a "the object "layer "layer 4"" is not currently available" error, and when I press continue it says "could not make a new layer from the selection because the selection is empty".

The shields look awesome, however. Congrats on this, Vince. :)

Last edited:
No way to use with freeware program as GIMP I suppose?