• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

NicklasK

Byzantinophilius Maximus
37 Badges
Aug 8, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV
[MOD] Imperium Graecorum - Aristocracy and Bureaucracy (v0.1e) for CKII v1.103 "WQLL"

IMPERIVM GRÆCORVM - Aristocracy and Bureaucracy
Restore the Roman Empire to its formor glory using new laws, events, taxes and titles!

This mods aims to enhance the experience of playing the Byzantine Empire from 867-1453, the end goal is to make it as close to reality as possible while still keeping it fun and entertaining. Among many planned features are: Appointing governors, tax laws, new army mechanics, court events, religious events and much more.

My knowledge of coding and scripting is limited so it is a learning experience for me. If you feel that you may be able to contribute, do not hesitate to contact me. Especially research; even though I consider myself knowledgeable about the Byzantine Empire then it is impossible to know everything.

Kronos8 is currently working on a mod very similar to this one; I will most likely discontinue IGAB when he releases his first stable version (depending on demand and similar features/ideas).

ATTENTION: after installing IGAB_v0.1e remember to apply the hotfix, all you need to do is to replace the event files in IGAB_v0.1e.zip with those in IGAB_v0.1e_hotfix.zip

DOWNLOAD:
View attachment IGAB_v0.1e.zip for CKII v1.103 "WQLL"

HOTFIX:
View attachment IGAB_v0.1e_hotfix.zip

Installation:
  1. Locate your CKII mod folder, usually: "C:\Users\Username\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod"
  2. Delete any excisting version of Imperium_Graecorum you may have.
  3. Copy all the files from IGAB_v0.1e.zip into the before mentioned mod folder
  4. Enable the mod in the launcher.
Screenshots:

IGAB_ss3.jpg

Current features:
  • Choose your own heir among your sons (by granting him the "Despot" trait).
  • Laws to switch between Feudal and Roman Administration.
  • Locked succession to Agnatic-Cognatic Promogentiure.
  • Agnatic Open Elective succession for vassals.
  • New trait for all Roman Governors.
  • Localisation for greek titles.
  • Set governor term length.
  • Governor appointments.
Planned for next release:
  • Will be updated later...
Known problems:
  • opinion penalty when creating some new titles.

Last edited:
Changelog:

v0.1e
  • Added a welcome event to make sure that the game works from day 1, rather than having to wait a month for it to activate properly.
  • Minor bugfixes.
v0.1d
  • Choose your own heir among your sons (by granting him the "Despot" trait).
  • Locked succession to Agnatic-Cognatic Promogentiure.
  • New icon (Chi-Rho) for the "Roman Empire".
  • Localisation for greek titles.
  • Set governor term length.
v0.1c
  • Made compatible with CKII v.1.102 "UPXG"
  • Added the ability to appoint governors.
  • Added localisation for e_byzantium.
  • Added localisation for greek culture.
  • Added opinion boost for vassals under imperial administration laws to make testing easier.
v0.1b
  • Removed "set_allow_free_revokation = yes" from Imperial Administration.
  • Added proper "Governor" trait icon.
  • fixed a bug where former governors would keep the "Governor" trait.
  • fixed a bug that made current vassals of your vassals hate their liege due to law change caused by new events.
  • Made vassals under "Imperial Administration" unable to start factions to change succession laws.
  • Removed restrictions on "Imperial Administration" regarding high crown authority.
  • Replaced the word "Roman" in most events with "Imperial", to make the laws useable with other empires later on.
v0.1
  • Added a new set of laws to switch between Feudal and Roman Administration
  • Added"set_allow_free_revokation = yes" from Imperial Administration.
  • Added temporary "Governor" trait icon.
  • Added events to give vassals the Governor trait, and to make new vassals use the proper succession laws.
  • Made vassals under "Imperial Administration" unable change succession laws
  • Added restrictions on "Imperial Administration" to make it available only with high crown authority and above.

Last edited:
I just wanted to chime in, the set_allow_free_revokation = yes problem is usually caused by loading a save where it was previously enabled. For whatever reason, when you save it doesn't save set_allow_free_revokation = yes in the file. I'm not sure how you would solve it, but maybe some sort of event could fire once a year or something to set it on Byzantium and all vassal kingdoms to keep it on.

I just wanted to chime in, the set_allow_free_revokation = yes problem is usually caused by loading a save where it was previously enabled. For whatever reason, when you save it doesn't save set_allow_free_revokation = yes in the file. I'm not sure how you would solve it, but maybe some sort of event could fire once a year or something to set it on Byzantium and all vassal kingdoms to keep it on.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to delete this feature in the next update.

Same here ;)

Few questions though- are You planning on making this mod compatible with bigger ones (CK2+, TPTT)? Have You created some difficulties for Autocrats, so I won't be able to conquer everything in mere months?

I will make it as true to real life as I can, and I will definately adress the rapid expansion issues. However I won't plan features more than one release away.

For planned features see post #1.

My first focus will be game mechanics, when all that is sorted I will work on flavour events.

I have no plans of making it compatible with other mods until v1.0 and will most likely be for TPTT. If anyone should feel like making it compatible, please go ahead, just mention me in the credits and use the original mod name.

Last edited:
How do you appoint the governors and will you eventually make it easier for the governors to sieze the Imperial throne?

1. Governor appointments will hopefully be in the next update. the plan so far is to give you a popup when a governor dies.
2. Yes, I will definately make it easier for the governors to seize the throne, I just have to figure out how to do it in a "non annoying" way

Maybe some time in the future you'll be able to define the length of a governors term ranging from 2 years to life.

1. Governor appointments will hopefully be in the next update. the plan so far is to give you a popup when a governor dies.
2. Yes, I will definately make it easier for the governors to seize the throne, I just have to figure out how to do it in a "non annoying" way

Maybe some time in the future you'll be able to define the length of a governors term ranging from 2 years to life.

Perhaps make a CB for Imperial governments only that allows the governors to declare a war for the throne, but so its not to easy perhaps make so you have to have the 'Ambitious' trait.

Do you think it would be possible to somehow change it so that governors have the Free Investiture succession? That would fit perfectly; you can choose the successor beforehand and if you don't, you still get an opinion bonus that counteracts the penalty from higher crown authority.

I would love to see some stuff about red tape and filing out endless forms and documents in order to do something, and filing out endless forms and documents to get permission to file out endless forms and documents in order to do something. :cool:

It is possible, but I'm not too keen going down that route. It is very easy to implement Free Investiture, but it doesn't come without a price.

The following problems are what's keeping me from doing it.

1. Free Investiture is tied to religion.
2. In order to use it, orthodoxy must abandon autocephaly.
3. It will only work for emperors who has a religion with Free Investiture enabled.
4. All orthodox bishops will start paying taxes to the Patriach of Constantinople.
5. The Patriach of Constantinople will pay taxes to the emperor, thus making him monstrously rich.
6. No warning if a vassal has no successor appointed.

I have thought this through a couple of times, but it's never gonna work properly. I know that Kronos8 who's working on a Byzantine mod aswell intends to use Free Investiture, his workaround for most of these problems is to make two orthodox religions.

I would love to see some stuff about red tape and filing out endless forms and documents in order to do something, and filing out endless forms and documents to get permission to file out endless forms and documents in order to do something. :cool:

In that case I will make an event chain just for you :D

In that case I will make an event chain just for you :D

Awesome. I have a sort of inside joke thing I do with my old high school buddies where we always talk like we're bureaucrats or something, "If you wish to speak on Skype, please fill out forms ABX-222 and blah balh blah" so I'd love to see even some small events that poke fun at stereotypes about bureaucracies.

Anyhow, I'll wait and see where you go with this. I think some of your planned features might be useful in VIET.

Is there going to be special events and descions for for palace and queen of city of was source of power, like peoples schemeing for emperor favor for titles and offices the complexs palaces coupe etc?

Nice, but when you say "Imperial" administration, what do you mean? Thematic, Claudian, Diocletianic...? I'm not asking this to be pedantic, these are very different kinds of administration.

By the way, will you add the Eunuch administration and the titles for the Un-Bearded?

Nice, but when you say "Imperial" administration, what do you mean? Thematic, Claudian, Diocletianic...? I'm not asking this to be pedantic, these are very different kinds of administration.
It is neither. I want to add a number of laws to customize the administration further. The first version will resemble Thematic administration though.

By the way, will you add the Eunuch administration and the titles for the Un-Bearded?
Is there going to be special events and descions for for palace and queen of city of was source of power, like peoples schemeing for emperor favor for titles and offices the complexs palaces coupe etc?
Yes, in time... For now, my goal is to get the appointment of governors up and running properly first.