• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, for example, if I was producing 10% of the total WM supply of steel for that day I'd sell 10% of the actual demand?

A given days WM supply of steel = 1000 units
My share of WM supply of steel 10% or 100 units
So if WM demand on that same day is 500 I’d sell 50 units on the WM and lose 50 units to spoil?

So, for example, if I was producing 10% of the total WM supply of steel for that day I'd sell 10% of the actual demand?

A given days WM supply of steel = 1000 units
My share of WM supply of steel 10% or 100 units
So if WM demand on that same day is 500 I’d sell 50 units on the WM and lose 50 units to spoil?

Usually it is much more complicated than that, you sell first in the internal market and then stuff from high prestige countries is bought first. But all other things equal, probably yes.

Sphering a country may kill its factories

I was playing a game as Portugal, and it was the year 1927. By then, industralization MUST be profitable. I have sphered Spain, but it gives me just a meager 16 industrial score - not nearly enough to make a difference.

v2_44.jpg

Well, the problem is - Spain's economy just sucks. Is this because they are a "Bourgeoise Dictatorship" without Capitalists ?. I have been investing there - building railroads, reopening factories, even building some new ones - they just go bankrupt most of the time. Most stuff is in oversupply. They have a lot of regions - so much potential wasted.

Are people in Spain are poor - cannot they afford to buy the things the factories produce ?

v2_45.jpg

Turns out that this is not the case. I reopen all of Spain's factories as Portugal, and then I reenter the game as Spain.

After a while, most of the factories turn unprofitable again, because they cannot sell their stuff. But the demand is there, and there are actually pops who have money to buy it. Do they buy in the international market instead ? Do they buy stuff first from countries who have high prestige ?
For instance clothes. There is a huge demand for it, there are pops who demand it and have money to spend, but the only factory who is producing clothes cannot sell them all. There is a big supply of clothes in the world market. But why aren't people buying clothes from Spanish factories first ? About 60% of the production goes wasted.

v2_64.jpg

Clothes factories are not profitable in Portugal as well because of oversupply. But overall Portugal sells a higher percentage of its output. Spain sells around 40% of its output, while Portugal sells 60% of it.
I went back into the game as Portugal - the computer played a little so it changed some stuff. I know the Pops cannot be buying all the cloths they need (494.28 here), since there are many who are not satisfying their everyday needs, which includes clothing. It's the ones inside of the green and yellow pie who can't buy clothes.

v2_85.jpg

Then it dawns on me - in Spain they are buying PORTUGUESE clothes ! I edit the save file, take Spain out of my sphere and let the game run. The Clothes factory turns PROFITABLE ! The wine, liquour, explosive, artillery factory as well ! They are selling all of the stuff they are producing to the internal market. So sphering a country may kill its industry. Obviously, people in Spain will buy first clothes from Portuguese factories, as Portugal has a higher prestige inside of the sphere. On the other hand, I have a bigger market for Portuguese goods.

Actually, it is probably a little more complicated though : as in this case 64 % of the resources are available for the common market, only 36% of the factory output is sold directly in the country, in Spain. In this case, that is why at least 36% of the output is sold.

The rest (64% ) goes to the common market. But little of it will be sold, as Portuguese factories will have the opportunity to sell their products first (or anyway, more of it).

Ideally you should build factories in your spherelings which build stuff in high demand in your country.
Or don't sphere industrialized countries - grab provinces from them.
As a corollary, being a sphereling means that it will be very difficult for you to industrialize - you should be a GP at all costs.

v2_80.jpg

Last edited:
So in effect, a pop won't purchase from it's nation first when sphere but from it's common market, first from the country with the highest prestige/score?

(Not) Correct.

EDIT : Probably actually more complicated: the factories / artisans from the higher score / prestige countries may just sell a greater share of their output when there is oversupply. In my example as well all factories manage to sell some of their output, but Portugal's factories seem to sell more than Spain's. That would also be closer to what happens in the real world.

Last edited:
That's pretty awful.
Even if it buys from you first, the pops who still have money should then be able to buy from their own market once yours sells everything (which it isn't, which also doesn't make sense if there is large demand for clothes in Spain). It seems like it's not working properly.

Investing in a country cripples its ability to buy its own goods when it is sphered.

In fact possibly it works this way : as in this case 64 % of the resources are available for the common market, only 36% of the factory output is sold directly in the country, in Spain. In this case, that is why at least 36% of the output is sold.

The rest (64% ) goes to the common market. But little of it will be sold, as Portuguese factories will have the opportunity to sell their products first (or anyway, more of it).

Two questions:
1- What happens when you sphere a country that is a puppet of another? Will the goods of their RGOs go to you, or puppet master?
2- What happens when you form a country (say, NGF) and both a province you own and the other you absorb have both the same factory? Will factory level increase or remain the same?

Two questions:
1- What happens when you sphere a country that is a puppet of another? Will the goods of their RGOs go to you, or puppet master?
2- What happens when you form a country (say, NGF) and both a province you own and the other you absorb have both the same factory? Will factory level increase or remain the same?

1. The goods go to the sphere master. The puppet has a fixed alliance with the puppet master and has no foreign politics.
2. No idea :)

Then it dawns on me - in Spain they are buying PORTUGUESE clothes ! I edit the save file, take Spain out of my sphere and let the game run. The Clothes factory turns PROFITABLE ! The wine, liquour, explosive, artillery factory as well ! They are selling all of the stuff they are producing to the internal market. So sphering a country may kill its industry. Obviously, people in Spain will buy first clothes from Portuguese factories, as Portugal has a higher prestige inside of the sphere. On the other hand, I have a bigger market for Portuguese goods.

Is this not effectively what the UK did in Egypt and India, flooding the market with UK manufactured clothes and material benefitting UK manufacturers at the cost of the native cotton industry?

So in effect, a pop won't purchase from it's nation first when sphere but from it's common market, first from the country with the highest prestige/score?
No, they're buying from common market. But for them common market means their market + some part of sphere market (half, if I remember correctly).
By part I mean part of their demand will try to be satisfied by collective sphere market. (Part of supply wouldn't make sense in any way: part of other's supply - it would be too gamey, part of our supply - if we don't produce we won't buy).

Also there's sell limit (how much they will sell to you), it depends on their supply.

All this informations are from my game expedience and other sources I've read long time ago.

Basic Qs: Is it normal for a country that has no industrialization yet to have no caps, clerks, or artisans? If you start a factory (and it doesn't collapse) will they start to appear? Thanks.

Artisans are what you have before industrialization. And yes, it is normal for a nonindustrial country to have no capitalists, clerks, or craftsmen. Opening a factory will encourage POPs to promote to these, but there are a lot of other factors. If you want the full list and charts of conditions, they're linked on the wiki.

Closed Factories

I wanted to close a factory in one province to make a factory in another sell all of its goods. But after closing it the factory still seems to be producing goods:

Any idea what is going on? This is AHD 2.31.

(edited to add screenshot)

Last edited:
Could it be that this production results from some of your sphered and/or foreign factories?

I don't think so, I only had Belgium and China sphered. It does not appear that Belgium has any glass factories (though they probably have artisans producing glass) and China cannot build factories as uncivilized (correct?). Besides, it does seem to say that the factory in Rheinland is producing the glass...

It may be the artisans who are producing that good.