• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 17: A curse of blood

9 February 1567, Monferrato

The sudden and unexpected death of Clemens I von Hohenzollern had not only triggered a small, but irritating, march on Nürnberg. It had also pulled Markus Asch rather forcibly out of retirement. There were three candidates for the regency. The first was the oldest living Hohenzollern, Bertha, the wife of Prinz Ludwig. However, she herself passed on a couple of weeks after Clemens. That left only Markus and Louisa von Ulrich, and unfortunately for her, she had no legal power in the realm apart from the Kaiser's dying wish that she be retained as Regent. The Electors of the Empire threatened to strip the Hohenzollerns of the Kaiser's throne if a baseborn woman were named regent, and so while she remained de facto Regent, Markus Asch was named de jure Regent. In practice, it meant that most of his duty was to train young Alois in the military arts.

Yet while both Markus and Louisa watched as a new Cardinal was chosen, only one individual truly stared: the Archbishop of Nürnberg, Joseph Clemens Livizzani. It had been Joseph who had rapidly converted the new Venetian provinces to the Catholic faith; within three years of their annexation, they followed the One True Faith.

allcatholicagain.jpg

Yet it was Gumpenberg, Bishop of Innsbrück, who was given the Cardinal's hat.

newcardinal.jpg

Archbishop Joseph knew exactly why -- the new Pope, Innocentius IX, had grown up near Innsbrück. Joseph was incredibly frustrated, and knew that Regent Markus had decided not to recommend him to the office. He couldn't imagine why (although he knew full well: he'd tried to have the children of Louisa von Ulrich excommunicated for being born out of wedlock). Joseph increasingly began to search for other, less patient ways of getting what he deserved.

27 November 1569, Vijayanagar

Adolph von Ungern felt sweat pouring out of every orifice on his body. As Deputy Chancellor, he often received unpleasant assignments (particularly since Chancellor Satzenhofen was lazy and, truthfully, too fat to leave Nürnberg), but this was easily the worst. The actual job was simple -- to act as the observer for the Kingdom of Bayern in this war. But the circumstances were horrific. The worst part was it was largely his own fault, for he had proposed an innocent alliance that profoundly transformed the foreign policy of Bayern. That alliance?

scotlandlalied.jpg

Even if Adolph never became Chancellor -- certainly a possibility -- securing for Bayern a powerful friend like the King of Scotland was a masterstroke. Adolf found himself ennobled in the process, becoming Conte di Mantua. (The newly integrated provinces preferred to use Italian titles). Yet, immediately, the new alliance caused problems for Bayern, as Scotland was embroiled in war with the Mamluks of Egypt.

mamlukwar.jpg

That was no serious concern of Adolph's -- in fact, Abdul Bahar had eagerly volunteered to return to his homeland as Bayern's representative. Meanwhile, Adolph did research in the Imperial archives, finding legal claims for the Kaiser to seize two new provinces.

newcore.jpg

coblenzcore.jpg

While Frankfurt was a vassal of Braunschweig -- and thus a difficult prize to attain -- St. Gallen in Tirol was a very tempting target, and Regent Markus had proposed a campaign as soon as the Scots and Mamluks had made peace. Markus was particularly eager to see how the new Caracole cavalry performed.

newcavalry.jpg

However, almost immediately following the war with the Mamluks, the Scots proposed their own expedition to Vijayanagar, and if Markus refused, they would dissolve the alliance.

morewars.jpg

Again, Abdul Bahar volunteered to go, but on the way to the Indian subcontinent, the ship was beset by pirates. Bahar personally killed no fewer than ten of the pirates, but was overwhelmed by another twenty and died in the process. That meant that Bayern needed a new representative, and the Chancellor eagerly volunteered his subordinate to make the arrangements. Adolph understood that.

It didn't mean he had to like it.

11 April 1571, Nürnberg

Alois I von Hohenzollern, now old enough to assume the throne, did so with trepidation.

newheir.jpg

The discovery of young Ernst von Hohenzollern had not been a welcome one. Conceived in March of 1563, the six year old Ernst was the only living child of König Clemens I ... and the Königin Dorothea. No matter whom Clemens truly loved, the fact was that a ruler still had duties to his wife, and one of Clemens' last acts on earth was to impregnate his wife. (Some less-than-charitable tales claimed that it had been the only time the two had consummated the marriage.) The aneurysm that had killed the young König had come so suddenly that nobody even knew Ernst existed. Regardless, he was the fruit of the legal union between husband and wife -- at a single stroke, Alarice and Ulrich were completely disinherited, apart from the title of Conte di Ferrara. In fact, if the Prinz had been older, Dorothea would have deposed Alois too.

Alois had only one option to protect his (slightly) younger brother -- he sent him to Ireland, or as far away from Nürnberg as possible and still be in the Empire. His mother went with him; Dorothea was none too fond of Louisa. Alarice, as a woman, was not a serious threat to Ernst's inheritance, and therefore she could stay. At least two of the triplets could stay home with one another. Alois had some support from Adriana, in whose name he was also King of Wallachia, but overall it was Dorothea who dominated as much as a woman could, through her role as Prinzessin-Regent of Böhmen.

The only thing that could give Alois pleasure was the army, and he knew exactly what to do: to claim St. Gallen for Bayern.

reconquestwar.jpg

10 June 1572, St. Gallen

It was one of the quickest wars in the history of Bayern -- just slightly over one year. Casualties had been minimal, apart from one: Markus Asch was ordered to the defense of Böhmen by Dorothea, and was killed by a Tirolian raiding party. The more prestigious command went to a new General, the son of the Chancellor, Maximillian Philipp Satzenhofen.

newgeneral.jpg

The younger Satzenhofen had earned his commission on the battlefield, but his father's influence was not insignificant. The Chancellor was a very dear friend of Königin Dorothea and one of the most outspoken critics of Louisa von Ulrich. Archbishop Joseph, another member of the Königsrat, was also a loyal ally to Königin Dorothea. Steward Maximillian gave good advice and was a trusted advisor to the new Kaiser. Marshal Hafenbrädl was competent, but his loyalties were some dubious. Now, all of this was somewhat irrelevant, as only the Kaiser's rule -- and that of his Stadtholders -- had meaning. Still, the idea of advisors plotting against him was an unsavory thought, to say the least.

To help build up that trust, Hafenbrädl was named Graf von St. Gallen.

newprovinces.jpg

The additional territory of Württemburg was transferred to Ulrich, who was legally Prinz von Aachen as second in line for the throne.

sellstheprovince.jpg

Alois thought of his twin and his half-brother from time to time. Ernst was a very precocious eight year old, certainly smarter than Ulrich. Increasingly, the people of Bayern looked up to the dapper young Prinz von Böhmen. That worried Alois, for one thing he knew was that Ulrich would not take such a defeat lightly.

30 September 1576, Nürnberg

Königin Dorothea did her very best not to smirk; she didn't entirely succeed. Everything she had planned so far worked perfectly. Initially, she was worried about Alois, who was increasingly charismatic after the war with Tirol. The decision to end the war with Vijayanagar had cost Bayern the alliance with Scotland, but it was a necessary step for the reforms Alois had planned.

allianceover.jpg

Alois himself took over supreme command of all forces in Bayern, another masterful decision that further cemented his popularity.

takingpersonalcommand.jpg

With his new position, he expanded the militia, led by the Stadtholder of each province. This militia would be a welcome manpower reserve and further weaken the Königin's control over Bayern.

militaact.jpg

Next, he fired Archbishop Joseph, and in an amazingly savvy move, recalled his brother Ulrich and named him Archbishop. This stripped Ulrich of the title of Prinz von Aachen, but also left him immune to Dorothea's schemings. The senior Stadtholder, Joseph Ferdinand Riedesel, increased Alois's power and security, and allowed him to pass his second major reform, which created a Reichstag in which all the Stadtholders would meet from time to time to discuss administrative policy.

statesmanhelp.jpg

Perhaps the crowning achievement of Alois I's reign was convening a council of the Electors to strengthen the Kaiser's power within the Empire.

hofgericht.jpg

One might think that Dorothea would be enraged by the continuing success of the König; instead, she applauded him as he achieved more and more for realm in just a few short months.

A few short months was all Alois had left. The retention of a skilled assassin not only eliminated the young Kaiser, but also eliminated his brother by framing Ulrich for the job. Ulrich fled to Ireland before the patrols caught him. Dorothea, once a minor footnote in the history of Bayern, had successfully placed her son on the throne of Bayern with a much stronger realm and subsequently eliminated her son's only serious rival.

inheritancetime.jpg

The assassin's price? Citizenship for all Rhinelanders, which the Königin Regent was only too happy to grant.

newculture.jpg

An unknown part of Ireland, shortly after the death of Alois

Ulrich von Hohenzollern was the only individual not hooded and cloaked. One of those present was his mother, but the others were complete strangers.

"Prinz Ulrich, do you wish to continue?"

Ulrich paused. The move he had planned would require skill and a considerable amount of luck. The 21 year old Bavarian knew if he did not strike quickly, before Ernst grew up and produced an heir, his own claim to the throne would be forfeit. First, before anything else could come to pass, he needed to produce an heir of his own. The young woman being offered to him was strikingly lovely, brilliant, and ruthless, all qualities that a future Königin required. Yet there was something... unsettling... about the girl. Still, the alliance being offered to him was a powerful one. If he married her, he would keep the goodwill of the Irish, which was critical for his plan. The Irish, in turn, would broker a deal with a much more powerful state that would provide Ulrich with enough forces to make his landing in Bayern. Best of all, the invasion might be bloodless, if he could prove Dorothea's guilt in the death of the beloved Alois.

After considering all possible options, Ulrich nodded. "Yes.

I will take Cecillia Drake as my bride. I must do what is necessary to reclaim my brother's crown."

Things are being set up, my friends, for a pretty epic war coming up.

With that in mind, let's do another contest, shall we? Again, if your character is currently active, you are ineligible for another one.

1. How many wars will begin in the next update?
2. How many of them will be initiated by me?
3. Who is the oldest living character remaining? (Hint: It's a pretty obscure character.)

Good luck! The contest will end on Thursday at 10 PM (-6 GMT).

Hm, plotting by all sides. I wonder what part Alarice will play in the upcoming events? I guess we will see.

Hm, plotting by all sides. I wonder what part Alarice will play in the upcoming events? I guess we will see.

There is a plan; what plan that is, I cannot reveal (mostly because I'm not certain yet. :))

There is a plan; what plan that is, I cannot reveal (mostly because I'm not certain yet. :))
Can you say if Alarice is part of the plan?

1. How many wars will begin in the next update?
2. How many of them will be initiated by me?
3. Who is the oldest living character remaining? (Hint: It's a pretty obscure character.)
1. 5 wars
2. 2 wars
3. Csilla Dracova

Poland really has a stranglehold on the Holy See. Nice to see more Imperial Reforms being pushed through. I can imagine a unified HRE being toppled in the revolutionary era and thus fulfilling the goal of a democracy by the Victoria era.

Can you say if Alarice is part of the plan?

I cannot say. ;)

1. 5 wars
2. 2 wars
3. Csilla Dracova

Poland really has a stranglehold on the Holy See. Nice to see more Imperial Reforms being pushed through. I can imagine a unified HRE being toppled in the revolutionary era and thus fulfilling the goal of a democracy by the Victoria era.

If it gets pretty close to the end of the game, I'll switch to a republic and abandon the HRE. I still have hopes of unification. (Wrong on everything though. Read question three again and you'll find out why. :p)

Apologies to our simian friend -- he indeed got #2 correct. He's been notified. Keep going with #1 and #3.

I hope that Abdul Bahar beheaded a few heathen pirates before dying with honour. ;)

1. Four wars
2. Three wars

Ten, if you check the update. Also, did you perhaps confuse #2 and #3? #2 is already answered. :)

Ten, if you check the update. Also, did you perhaps confuse #2 and #3? #2 is already answered. :)
Oops, my bad. :p You posted that like a minute before I did, so I didn't see it. It was meant to be for question 2, so just ignore it.

1. Three (3)

3. Cecillia Drake

Last edited:
1: Two wars

3: Maxicatl

3. Louisa von Ulrich?

#1 has been answered correctly and the winner notified.

To those of you who insist on responding with our dearly beloved friend Cecillia -- I specifically chose living for a reason. She is excluded, for obvious reasons. Nobody is even remotely close for #3. (Maxicatl died in 1541).

To those of you who insist on responding with our dearly beloved friend Cecillia -- I specifically chose living for a reason. She is excluded, for obvious reasons.

What is dead may never die....