• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

lordmichael95

Major
44 Badges
Feb 18, 2013
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities in Motion
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Realism Mod

Newest Version: v1.11
Compatible with: 1.103
Released: 7/21/2013

This mod is designed to make CKII more realistic, while at the same time, not ignoring balance. So, people have shorter lives, more realistic traits, etc.

This is my first mod and I hope you enjoy! If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestions, or whatever, please post below.

Screenshots:

2013-05-30_00002.jpg Before interface adjust

2013-05-30_00003.jpg After interface adjust

2013-06-05_00002.jpg New decisions

2013-06-07_00001.jpg New events

Current Changes:

-Piety hit for attacking someone crusading was increased from 40 to 150
-Piety hit for attacking someone who is defending against other religious group was increased from 100 to 200
-No delay between being able to pick a new ambition of plot after cancelling other ambition
-Age of Adulthood is now 12
-Doubled the natural death chance
-Counties no longer have to have 1 of each type of holding
-Units embarked in galleys receive 1% attrition per month
-The opinion penalty for being a traitor was increased from -50 to -70
-The opinion penalty for usurping a title was increased from -50 to -80
-The opinion penalty for being a tyrant was increased from -10 to -15
-The opinion penalty for demanding religious conversion was increased from -10 to -20
-Catching the bubonic plague will now require a regent
-Changed the following traits:
-Excommunicated: opinion penalty was increased from -30 to -60; added a -1 monthly prestige penalty; added -2 stewardship penalty; added -2 learning penalty
-Lunatic: trait is now opinion neutral with other lunatics
-Bastard: added -0.25 monthly prestige penalty
-Legitimized Bastard: added -0.20 monthly prestige penalty
-Glutinous: added -1 health penalty
-Paranoid: added 1 health bonus
-Brave: added a -0.5 health penalty
-Craven: added a 1 health bonus
-Homosexual: added a -50 church penalty
-Kinslayer: added a -5 vassal penalty; added a -5 church penalty
-Possessed: added a -20 church penalty
-Made it impossible for people to live beyond 90
-Increased the natural death chance in the 70-79 range
-All level one education traits get a -10 vassal opinion penalty except for Detached Priest which gets -10 general opinion penalty
-Pregnant: added a -0.50 health penalty
-Buffed all lifestyle traits to make them more important
--Added decisions which allows a character to convert to orthodoxy, catholicism, shia islam or sunni islam
-Slightly reduced navel movement speed from 30 to 25
-This adds 8 shortcuts to the game: "z","x","c","v","b","n","m" and "`" (tilde)
-z raises levy directly from any holding you have control over, or from the building screen.
-x dismisses the currently selected levy (army or ship), *capital* "x" will dismiss ALL selected levies
-c raises ships in selected holding or building
-v embarks the currently selected levy into a ship that is IN port in that province
-b merges selected levies or ships, so long as they are in the same zone or province (naturally). If you have a single army/shipgroup the "b" key will open the new unit interface
-n selects the trade port screen on coastal provinces
-m selects the normal holdings screen
-` (tilde) is a back button. Please be aware that ` is usually used to open the cheat interface. This does not prevent that functionality, in fact it is a logical button choice considering you can only access the cheat interface when there are no open windows.
-The interface has been adjusted (see screenshots for more info)
-Made the amphibious landing penalty more severe
-Creating/Usurping fraction of de jure counties that you must control to create a non-imperial title is back to pre 1.10 (50%) rather than 51%
-Culture will now spread even if the religion of a county is the same as the top most liege; Culture will now spread to islands and will spread faster in counties with coast.

Planned Changes (not in any particular order):

-Changed/New traits
-New plots/decisions
-Changed/New laws
-New events
-Perhaps the secret to the universe and more!

Known issues:

All listed issues here are know issues with the current version. These problems are being looked into, and should be fixed in the next release.

-Can not carry out murder plots in the 12-15 age range
-Players still get "Child does not have a guardian" event, even when the child is already educated

How to Use the Mod:

1. Click on the download link
2. You will be taken to a MediaFire link, click on the green load button on the bottom right-hand side
3. Once the file has finished downloading, extract the file to: user/Libraies/My Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II/mod (if you haven't used mods before, you may have to make the mod folder)
4. Run the game, and in the startup window, check mark the checkbox that is this mod
5. Play the game and enjoy :)

Mod & Changelog:

v1.11 Compatible with v1.1
Released: 7/21/13 Compatible with: 1.103

link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/h52ccla83plud5c/Realism_Mod_v1.11.zip

Changelog:
-Added 8 shortcuts to the game: "z","x","c","v","b","n","m" and "`" (tilde)
-z raises levy directly from any holding you have control over, or from the building screen.
-x dismisses the currently selected levy (army or ship), *capital* "x" will dismiss ALL selected levies
-v embarks the currently selected levy into a ship that is IN port in that province
-b merges selected levies or ships, so long as they are in the same zone or province (naturally). If you have a single army/shipgroup the "b" key will open the new unit interface
-m selects the normal holdings screen*
-` (tilde) is a back button. Please be aware that ` is usually used to open the cheat interface. This does not prevent that functionality, in fact it is a logical button choice considering you can only access the cheat interface when there are no open windows.*
-Creating/Usurping fraction of de jure counties that you must control to create a non-imperial title is back to pre 1.10 (50%) rather than 51%
-Culture will now spread even if the religion of a county is the same as the top most liege; Culture will now spread to islands and will spread faster in counties with coast.
-A character dieing from the Duelist trait will no longer get duelist_death
-It is now possible to live until 90

v1.1 Compatible with v1.01
Released: 5/29/13 Compatible with: 1.10

link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/enoa4r9f7q9bshe/Realism_Mod_v1.1.zip

Changelog:
-Hedonist: increased fertility from 20% to 25%; same opinion penalty was increased from -5 to -10; church opinion penalty was increased from -10 to -20
-Celibate: increased church opinion bonus from 10 to 35
-Scholar: increased learning bonus from 2 to 3; added 0.1 monthly piety bonus
-Mystic: added a 0.2 monthly piety bonus
-Impaler: increased intrigue bonus from 1 to 3; added a martial bonus of 1; added a diplomacy hit of -2
-Duelist: increased martial bonus from 1 to 3; added a health penalty of -0.5
-Hunter: increased martial bonus from 1 to 2; added a 0.1 monthly prestige bonus
-Poet: added a learning bonus of 1; added a 0.1 monthly prestige bonus
-Falconer: added a martial bonus of 1; added a 0.3 monthly prestige bonus
-Added decisions which allows a character to convert to orthodoxy, catholicism, shia islam or sunni islam
-Updated the localization folder so when people die from a gluttonous death (or anyother trait) the "gluttonous_death" text will be replaced with appropate text

v1.01 Compatible with: v1.00
Released: 5/12/2013 Compatible with: 1.092

link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1jf7803seuidrz0/Realism_Mod_v1.01.zip

Changelog:
-Made it impossible for people to live beyond 80
-All level one education traits get a -10 vassal opinion penalty except for Detached Priest which gets -10 general opinion penalty
-Max childbirth age has been changed back to vanilla (age 45); I might modify the likelihood of childbirth once women start getting close to 45 in the future.

v1.00
Released: 5/11/2013 Compatible with: 1.092

link: http://www.mediafire.com/?q86we6dinl4oz8l

Changelog:
-Piety hit for attacking someone crusading was increased from 40 to 150
-Piety hit for attacking someone who is defending against other religious group was increased from 100 to 200
-No delay between being able to pick a new ambition of plot after cancelling other ambition
-Age of Adulthood is now 12
-After 30, women can no longer give children
-Doubled the natural death chance
-Counties no longer have to have 1 of each type of holding
-Units embarked in galleys receive 1% attrition per month
-The opinion penalty for being a traitor was increased from -50 to -70
-The opinion penalty for usurping a title was increased from -50 to -80
-The opinion penalty for being a tyrant was increased from -10 to -15
-The opinion penalty for demanding religious conversion was increased from -10 to -20
-Catching the bubonic plague will now require a regent
-Changed the following traits:
-Excommunicated: opinion penalty was increased from -30 to -60; added a -1 monthly prestige penalty; added -2 stewardship penalty; added -2 learning penalty
-Lunatic: trait is now opinion neutral with other lunatics
-Bastard: added -0.25 monthly prestige penalty
-Legitimized Bastard: added -0.20 monthly prestige penalty
-Glutinous: added -1 health penalty
-Paranoid: added 1 health bonus
-Brave: added a -0.5 health penalty
-Craven: added a 1 health bonus
-Homosexual: added a -50 church penalty
-Kinslayer: added a -5 vassal penalty; added a -5 church penalty
-Possessed: added a -20 church penalty

Last edited:
Reserved for later.

I'm not sure about women not have children after 30 what was wrong with 45?

I'm not sure about women not have children after 30 what was wrong with 45?

Well, my reasoning was that 30 was considered old at the time, with the average person not living too much longer than 40, if at all, and even though childbirth was still possible, it really wasn't done. But, I suppose I could change the childbirth age back to 45, and then modify the likelihood of childbirth once women start getting close to 45.

The average age was 40-50 because loads of children died in childhood. Once adult you were set till your 60's and onward, provided you didn't get stabbed or catch the Black Death.

And as all character are rich nobles, the most common cause of weakness and poor health, malnutrition, doesn't apply.

Last edited:
The average age was 40-50 because loads of children died in childhood. Once adult you were set till your 60's and onward, provided you didn't get stabbed or catch the Black Death.

And as all character are rich nobles, the most common cause of weakness and poor health, malnutrition, doesn't apply.

Very true, I had forgotten that.

v1.01 is now out and it is fully compatible with v1.00

URL: http://www.mediafire.com/?1jf7803seuidrz0

Changelog:
-Made it impossible for people to live beyond 80
-Max childbirth age has been changed back to vanilla (age 45); I might modify the likelihood of childbirth once women start getting close to 45 in the future.

Last edited:
I have updated Realism Mod which is now compatible with the newest version of CKII, 1.10

The update is v1.1, which is also compatible with my two earlier updates.

link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/enoa4r9f7q9bshe/Realism_Mod_v1.1.zip

Changelog:
-Hedonist: increased fertility from 20% to 25%; same opinion penalty was increased from -5 to -10; church opinion penalty was increased from -10 to -20
-Celibate: increased church opinion bonus from 10 to 35
-Scholar: increased learning bonus from 2 to 3; added 0.1 monthly piety bonus
-Mystic: added a 0.2 monthly piety bonus
-Impaler: increased intrigue bonus from 1 to 3; added a martial bonus of 1; added a diplomacy hit of -2
-Duelist: increased martial bonus from 1 to 3; added a health penalty of -0.5
-Hunter: increased martial bonus from 1 to 2; added a 0.1 monthly prestige bonus
-Poet: added a learning bonus of 1; added a 0.1 monthly prestige bonus
-Falconer: added a martial bonus of 1; added a 0.3 monthly prestige bonus
-Added decisions which allows a character to convert to orthodoxy, catholicism, shia islam or sunni islam
-Updated the localization folder so when people die from a gluttonous death (or anyother trait) the "gluttonous_death" text will be replaced with appropate text

The health malus to duelist is a good one, though you might want to add an appropriate text if characters dies (if haven't done already). Because you are going to get duelist_death

I took a quick look at your mod and it seems that none of the events were changed to reflect the lower age of maturity. Characters can get married at 12 but women won't get pregnant and nothing interesting will happen to the characters until they're 16.

Out of curiosity why "impossible for people to live beyond 80"? Doge Dandolo was almost a hundred when he orchestrated the sack of Constantinople during the IV Crusade and I'm sure there were others who lived past 80. Obviously not many but it seems to me that making death a probability (in the same vain as what you've done for people in their 70's) would make more sense.

The ''impossible to live past 80'' part seems very strange. There is plenty of evidence of medieval people living past the age of 80. It should be unlikely, but it should at least be possible.
They are people, not robots that die automatically after reaching a certain age.

The health malus to duelist is a good one, though you might want to add an appropriate text if characters dies (if haven't done already). Because you are going to get duelist_death

Dang, I thought I had already added the text in the localization folder! Thanks for telling me otherwise.

I took a quick look at your mod and it seems that none of the events were changed to reflect the lower age of maturity. Characters can get married at 12 but women won't get pregnant and nothing interesting will happen to the characters until they're 16.

I'm working on this for the next update.

The ''impossible to live past 80'' part seems very strange. There is plenty of evidence of medieval people living past the age of 80. It should be unlikely, but it should at least be possible.
They are people, not robots that die automatically after reaching a certain age.

(see the last response)

Love what you're doing with this mod! A bit like my own Memento Mori only way, way more ambitious. Good luck!

Thank you very much.

Out of curiosity why "impossible for people to live beyond 80"? Doge Dandolo was almost a hundred when he orchestrated the sack of Constantinople during the IV Crusade and I'm sure there were others who lived past 80. Obviously not many but it seems to me that making death a probability (in the same vain as what you've done for people in their 70's) would make more sense.

Well, I suppose it should be possible, but unlikely; Very well it will be changed.

Last edited:
New release of Realism Mod is out sorry for the long delay in updating the mod, the weekly patches to the game kept me busy, and then I was on vacation in Canada for two weeks.

Anyways, here what been added to v1.11, which is also compatible to all my earlier version and CKII 1.103:

Changelog:
-Added 8 shortcuts to the game: "z","x","c","v","b","n","m" and "`" (tilde)
-m selects the normal holdings screen*
-` (tilde) is a back button. Please be aware that ` is usually used to open the cheat interface. This does not prevent that functionality, in fact it is a logical button choice considering you can only access the cheat interface when there are no open windows.*
-A character dieing from the Duelist trait will no longer get duelist_death
-It is now possible to live until 90

Known issues:

-Can not carry out murder plots in the 12-15 age range
-Players still get "Child does not have a guardian" event, even when the child is already educated

Not so sure about this, that makes it impossible to type in character ID's because you wouldn't be able to have their window open and type it in, unless you went back and forth constantly, trying to remember every number.

Not so sure about this, that makes it impossible to type in character ID's because you wouldn't be able to have their window open and type it in, unless you went back and forth constantly, trying to remember every number.

The cheat interface can be used without any problems, if it is opened before using other windows.