Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 34 - Unit Interface and more

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I posted it some weeks ago in an other thread, but there wasn't much reaction. It would be nice, if these sprites would changing depending on the are you currently are (1. Era: Hellebardiers, heavy armored knights and bombards, 2. Era: Pikemen, riders with (in german) Halbharnischen and pistols, three-pounder, 3. Era: Line-infantry, Hussars, amussets):

View attachment 82642

Agree. At the very least the sprites need be updated from the EU3 versions. Those look ugly.

Johan, since you mention Seize Colony here, I'm assuming anyone can seize colonies without a prereq? The reason I ask is when Castile's NI were detailed, one of them was the ability to Seize colonies. Has their idea changed (maybe its free colony seizing)?

Edit: Ok so I was a little off. Spain's NI is "Inter Caetera: Allows claiming of colonies". Still that sounds very similar to seizing.

Loving every DD but really, what is the point of pre-ordering? I will get the game day one and I am still hoping all this promotional "sprite" DLC and other recruit a friend chenanigans will be included. We can only hope reason and common sense get the best of PD.

Abilities now requiring Power
Some abilities related to units now require military power to be used.
- Assault requires 2 MP.
- Scorch Earth also requires 2 MP.
- Seize a Colony costs 25MP and can not be used on non-colonies, so natives are safer.
- Burn Colony costs 5 MP.
- Attack Natives cost 5 MP, and is the only way to possibliy eliminate them, as defeating them in a normal uprising does not work anymore.

I Like that

They start with +200% cost of core creation on their territory

This is referred to core creation by foreign nations, in berber cored territories?

Johan, since you mention Seize Colony here, I'm assuming anyone can seize colonies without a prereq? The reason I ask is when Castile's NI were detailed, one of them was the ability to Seize colonies. Has their idea changed (maybe its free colony seizing)?

Edit: Ok so I was a little off. Spain's NI is "Inter Caetera: Allows claiming of colonies". Still that sounds very similar to seizing.

Castille can fabricate claims anywhere overseas....

Can you make an action that is "Consolidate Regiments without destroying", like "Resupply Regiments". Basically I spend a lot of time turning 2 regiments, 501 and 500, into one 1000 and one of 1. Then I split them, and let the weak one resupply. It scales up, so 5 regiments of 4200 etc.

Basically create as many full strength or partial strength as possible, without destroying any regiments.

Are assaults a bit easier than in EU3 5.2? If you have to pay monarch points to assault a fortress I would like there to be a reasonable chance for succes or else it'd become a 'do not touch me' button, which'd be contrary to your design philosophy (meaningful choices).

Is the ai also aware that core creation can be harder in some provinces, which would lower their value for the ai when deciding to conquer that land? If the ai is aware of it, the +200% cost for core creation in the Magreb would be a really nice solution to stop the European ai nations conquering N-Africa. : )

Why cant you add option like - split army in 2 , 1 with regiments up too 400/1000 and the rest of 401+ ? Haven't you played multi player? Is it too hard to do it? At least let mods to do it. I'm waiting for this option (same as the pool to write how much money u can give buy typing it, not with stupid slider...).

yay new features! im loving the new interface it looks amazing! hopefully this stops Castile from blobbing too much in north africa.

Last edited:
They start with +200% cost of core creation on their territory and -10% ship costs.

Does the effect on core creation remain if the nation is destroyed or does it only work as long as they are alive?

Well... that's one way to prevent Castille from blobbing in North Africa, I guess...

EDIT: That sounded too negative, I actually think this is quite a good idea, reflecting how hard it is to control a desert area mainly populated by (semi)nomadic tribes.

My main problem is that I'm wondering if it will actually reduces the north African conquest or just punishes it?

- Seize a Colony costs 25MP and can not be used on non-colonies, so natives are safer.
- Burn Colony costs 5 MP.
- Attack Natives cost 5 MP, and is the only way to possibliy eliminate them, as defeating them in a normal uprising does not work anymore.

Thank you. This will make colonization a much bigger task, something you need to commit the nation to, and (probably, maybe) slow it down to more historical levels.

Can't wait to get my grubby hands on this!

My main problem is that I'm wondering if it will actually reduces the north African conquest or just punishes it?

I'm wondering this as well. Does the ai take into account the higher cost to core the provinces before taking them, or do they just take them as per usual and then sit on them un-cored due to their high cost?