Am I the only one that's a little thrown off by this?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dunno, you'd have to ask devs. iirc those portraits are created externally, no? Maybe something in their contracts or so. I agree though, it's content I'd normally expect to come with the "big" DLC.

Personally I also suspect the smaller DLC are the more profitable they are in relation to the amount of work needed to create them - take for example a Borderland 2 skin, which often is just simply changed colors. How much work is that? Few minutes? Of course it's also maybe "only" 1€ or 0,5€ or something, but if you compare this to a full DLC which maybe can sell for 10€-15€ but takes 100x the amount of time needed and many more people than just an artist, it's easy to see which ultimately could be more profitable ^^

You're bad at analogies. Let me explain:
The buns are cooked at the same time, yet each one consumes its own resources and is expected to be sold separately. Additional buns are not needed to consume the bun you purchased, but may be enjoyed.
Base game and day1 DLC are produced at the same time, yet each one consumes its own resources and is expected to be sold separately. Additional DLCs are not needed to play your base game, but may be enjoyed.

On the other hand, modern TVs tend to have no manual control panel and can only be used via the remote or a cumbersome menu system - the remote is almost vital and significantly impacts the use of the TV.

Edit: Damnit, now I am hungry :(

That's not really a good analogy either. It's like cooking it almost all the way, and charging extra for selling it all the way cooked

That's not really a good analogy either. It's like cooking it almost all the way, and charging extra for selling it all the way cooked

Or maybe it's like a team cooking a big bun all the way, then half the team tests the bun to check if it is safe & tasty while the guys with nothing to do makes some frosting & charges you extra for it :p

But then they start selling the big bun and somewhere in the middle of the bun is a big foul spot, which nobody found, because not enough people tested it.

Turns out every goddamned baker in the world is doing the same damn thing, and if you're lucky you can still just eat around the foul spot.

Or, you know, simply not eat buns. Maybe we could eat... wood chips. Or perhaps buns made of flawless cardboard. :ninja:

If the developers have any heart, they'll add some bun flavor events in the event dlc.

Day 1 dlc is ALWAYS cut content and should be included in the release game.
Remember the time, when patches actually added content and not just only fixed a completely unplayable bug-mess?
Paradox is greedy as hell, instead of investing more time into the QA, they work on day 1 DLC and release an unplayable turd.

Cool story. So tell us, what games have you worked on that gives you such an insight into the industry?

I do remember back in the distant days of yesterday when a CK2 patch added new content, and if I strain my memory I can even remember back to a week or so ago when the 1.10 patch added lots more.

What else can you tell us from the future where you come from about the EUIV release? Did you bring back any lottery numbers, or was the sole purpose of your journey to warn people about EU?

Also the glory days when paradox released poliahed games on release day was a year ago. EU3 and HoI3 were fun at launch, but not in the same league of Ck2 when it comes to free new content and day one playability.

Remember the time, when patches actually added content and not just only fixed a completely unplayable bug-mess?
Paradox is greedy as hell ...

Are there actually a lot of developers beyond Paradox that release content with patches? Growing up, all I remember patches doing was keeping my game from crashing to desktop a little while longer, and if I was lucky, adjusting some totally broken AI or horrible game play imbalance. I guess I remember it from Asheron's Call with their monthly event updates, but that required a subscription.

Frankly it's none of anyone's business how much time it takes them to do anything. They are offering you something for sale and you have the option to buy it or not. Why don't you make the decision based on whether what they're offering you is valuable enough to you to pay the price they're asking? If the answer is no, then don't buy it! Itis optional. I think what is really being said here is "hey! that should be free!" It's not up to you whether it's free or not. They make the decision on what they will offer for sale and you make the decision on whether you will buy it. It's not complicated. They don't owe anyone anything for free.

Cool story. So tell us, what games have you worked on that gives you such an insight into the industry?

I do remember back in the distant days of yesterday when a CK2 patch added new content, and if I strain my memory I can even remember back to a week or so ago when the 1.10 patch added lots more.

What else can you tell us from the future where you come from about the EUIV release? Did you bring back any lottery numbers, or was the sole purpose of your journey to warn people about EU?

Do not try to stifle opinions by saying they can't criticize because they haven't done the same.

Everyone has a right to criticize, and you don't need to be a movie director to know that Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull was shit and you don't need to be a cook to know that the steak you just bought is undercooked.

I find you guys have really bad attitudes when people start to criticize your dlc strategies. Which says something.

So when you found out the thing you wanted to buy had free extras you decided not to buy it? Well, it's up to you, but I don't follow your logic.

Thanks for the bonuses, this MADE me buy the extreme edition. Maybe this is people who are not allowed to buy games online for their parents? And therefor can't preorder. But thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.