Am I the only one that's a little thrown off by this?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can post useless one-liners all you want but the fact is that having 10 different DLCs on release day is simply off-putting. And yes it feels like nickel and diming from Paradox.

Then good bye! Go! No one will miss you!

nickle and diming from P'dox? seriously? have you played, I dunno, games from other devs that ACTUALLY nickle and dime you? Like Dead Space 3? Im a huge fan of EU3, but I havent bought any of the sprite packs because I find them unnecessary.

if you find it unnecessary. PROTIP: don't buy it.

quit being entitled brats. the devs work hard on these games and P'dox has been one of the most consumer friendly studios I've seen.

You can post useless one-liners all you want but the fact is that having 10 different DLCs on release day is simply off-putting. And yes it feels like nickel and diming from Paradox.

None of the DLCs are essential to the game. Yes, they're doing some psychological tricks to get a bit more money, but you are obviously aware of that and can refuse them.

My lord. Some of these posts are just plain disheartening. These responses telling people that PI doesn't need their business or that those who disagree are "entitled brats" show no insight into the actual complaints being discussed. If you disagree, that's fine, but don't act like a child. Explain yourself reasonably. We're all fans and customers here. Everyone has a right to express their opinion on the matter.

Also people seem to forget that EU4 currently has more events included in the base game than EU3+expansions had. At least I remember reading so from a dev diary, there was also actual number of events mentioned, but I cannot find the correct dev diary from the archive.

"STAR AND CRESCENT

70 new Muslim themed event pictures, as well as several new events for the Muslim nations"

Surely the pictures here are more trouble than the "several events" part? But I would actually be very interested in knowing what the "several" means??

Day one DLC's are unpopular but all publishers seems to be doing it nowadays, guess we all have to adapt to this "new" trend.

So Paradox is going to be having some Day 1 DLCs. They've previously explained that the graphic artists have nothing to do while the rest of the team is hard at work, so they create unit packs and such to bankroll the awesome, free patches we get. That's great. I'm totally fine with that, and you should be too - creating graphics is a whole lot of work, after all!

Thing is, though - I can't help but notice that with the Day 1 Star and Crescent DLC, they're including events - stuff that takes a half hour at most to whip up, and has no reason not to be included in the main game. Am I the only one that feels a bit cheated by this?
I remember when Mass Effect 3 From Ashes was released the same day as the main game and the outrage it caused. In this case we have just a few minor details in separate DLCs. But I think they have already crossed the Rubicon. Today these minor DLCs are unit sprites. What about tomorrow?

I remember when Mass Effect 3 From Ashes was released the same day as the main game and the outrage it caused. In this case we have just a few minor details in separate DLCs. But I think they have already crossed the Rubicon. Today these minor DLCs are unit sprites. What about tomorrow?
What if you had to buy DLCs to play as Muslims or Republics or Pagans?
Oh, the horror!

I haven't bought Norse faces (mostly out of irritation with Norse, Norse everywhere) and only got Russian units when I could get them for fifty cents because I don't play anyone it applies to, but I got faces since I still marry into there, so, who knows? More importantly, I've only ever bought the music packs for places I actually play - I got the Muslim pack and Byzantine music pack on day 1, but never purchased Albion, Holy Land, or the (sigh) Norse.

I do agree it'd be nice to be able to buy them all in a bundle, just for simplicity's sake. It's a dizzying amount of DLCs for new players, I think.

Yep, I imagine buying CK2 for a friend and then he looks at the DLC list and thinks that I've sold him half of the game.

It'd be cool having something like "Always Complete Version" of the game that costs twice as much and includes all future DLCs on release, and maybe additional possibility to buy "All future DLCs" if you already have the game. I understand it's a gamble for developers and gamers, but it sounds convinient.

I remember finishing the game without even knowing that there's a day 1 DLC. To be honest, it wasn't so necessary as people suggested. But microtransactions in a single player game is evil. Even on mobile phones. You see "Super Mega Game Free" and you know it's definitely not free. So Dead Space 3 can go to hell. And EA too.

Why are people complaining about DS3? None of the content was essential for the game; if you didn't want it, you didn't have to buy it. It was entirely and fully playable without spending anything extra. It's exactly the same as people argue here ... ^^

It'd be cool having something like "Always Complete Version" of the game that costs twice as much and includes all future DLCs on release, and maybe additional possibility to buy "All future DLCs" if you already have the game.
It's called a "season pass" and usually does this to some extend (often only for major DLC though, so a typical CK2 season pack probably wouldn't include sprite- and music packs, but Muslims, Republics, Pagans etc.)

My lord. Some of these posts are just plain disheartening. These responses telling people that PI doesn't need their business or that those who disagree are "entitled brats" show no insight into the actual complaints being discussed. If you disagree, that's fine, but don't act like a child. Explain yourself reasonably. We're all fans and customers here. Everyone has a right to express their opinion on the matter.

Exactly. People say "then just leave, no one will miss you", which is a sentiment I'm not entirely sure Paradox shares. I've bought a lot of Paradox games, I'm sure they would rather I didn't leave and stop buying their games. Now, personally I am absolutely going to buy EU4, but that doesn't mean I am not a little bit worried (and have been for some time) about the way the DLC is going. Right now I am giving them the benefit of the doubt, because at the end of the day I do enjoy playing their games.

It's just pathetic how all of you accept such bullshit.

B-b-but if you don't like it don't buy it!
B-b-but it's cheaper than most of the other titles!
B-b-but the industry is changing! We have to adapt!
B-b-but paradox actually listens to the community!

Day 1 dlc is ALWAYS cut content and should be included in the release game.
Remember the time, when patches actually added content and not just only fixed a completely unplayable bug-mess?
Paradox is greedy as hell, instead of investing more time into the QA, they work on day 1 DLC and release an unplayable turd.

Just keep on accepting everything like this and soon we will have Devs selling 1/3 of the game for 40€, another 1/3 of the game if you preorder the super-mega-hyper edition which costs 20€ extra and the last third of the game if you buy the dlc for 20€

Can't wait for the Paradox defense forces to show me how I'm wrong and how Paradox deserved the money!

Although one last thing:

I also respect Paradox for releasing mod friendly games and not forcing DRM up my ass, but all this day 1 DLC shit goes too far.

It's called a "season pass" and usually does this to some extend (often only for major DLC though, so a typical CK2 season pack probably wouldn't include sprite- and music packs, but Muslims, Republics, Pagans etc.)

This is something I am actually interested in understanding. I can get that when the main game goes into testing various teams have not much to do - so therefore make optional day 1 DLC, which is usually fine in my opinion (although I do dislike the day 1 exclusive events).

What I am confused about is why when a major DLC pack comes out the extra bits aren't included. Example being 'The Old Gods', surely one would have thought buying a Pagan DLC pack would include relevant character portraits, sprites & music? Or am I being ignorant and missing something? Genuinely asking as I don't know either way.

What I am confused about is why when a major DLC pack comes out the extra bits aren't included. Example being 'The Old Gods', surely one would have thought buying a Pagan DLC pack would include relevant character portraits, sprites & music? Or am I being ignorant and missing something? Genuinely asking as I don't know either way.
I don't want Norse or Russian portraits/music/models, so if it makes "The Old Gods" cheaper, then it's better this way for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.