Am I the only one that's a little thrown off by this?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it is human nature! Most people (including myself on occasion, I must admit) often overlook what's in plain view, suspecting that something (usually bad, in this case exploiting the customer to get filthy rich quickly) is hidden behind the scene.

You have a good point, but look at it this way - that day one DLC is more content than Muslims got with every expansion of EUIII put together. That suggests to me that it really was an "extra" thing rather than part of the core design.

(And I'm happy about it, except for being very conflicted due to not wanting to get a Steam game. Damn you Paradox, you know how to push my buttons!)

You could wait 3-4 months and release it then. Many people, including myself, when seeing a new game released and on the same date some form of an expansion pack also released for that game, will naturally ask the question "why is it not included in the game?" I do believe you when you say that it is indeed extra content that would otherwise have not been made, but still, I don't like the timing.

The number of gamers that are interested in a game drop rapidly after release (they give up, finish the campaign, want a new game, etc.). In short games like a singleplayer shooter this happens quicker, but it happens with PDS' grand strategy games as well. The majority of the audience is not the ones coming to these forums daily. By releasing it 3-4 months after release the audience that would buy and enjoy this bit of DLC would be much smaller than around release. The team has nothing to do at this moment while testing/QA is going on, so it makes sense from a business perspective to make something now so that more fans will enjoy it and PDS will get more money out of it (which pays for patches and larger expansions as well).

So Paradox is going to be having some Day 1 DLCs. They've previously explained that the graphic artists have nothing to do while the rest of the team is hard at work, so they create unit packs and such to bankroll the awesome, free patches we get. That's great. I'm totally fine with that, and you should be too - creating graphics is a whole lot of work, after all!

Thing is, though - I can't help but notice that with the Day 1 Star and Crescent DLC, they're including events - stuff that takes a half hour at most to whip up, and has no reason not to be included in the main game. Am I the only one that feels a bit cheated by this?
Do I feel a bit cheated? Well considering the cost of the game ($40.49 AUD*) no, not really.

Pre-ordering and DLC helps fund games. For the price they are already offering I don't think its a lot to ask. Besides, these Muslim events may be unique, but I doubt their effect will differ from regular events that non-DLC players will get. They are just events after all.

*I have EU3 so yeah... discounts! :D

Besides .... its not like Paradox would limit the available nations to a player... like in CK2 (the Muslim DLC pack). Right? :p

I'm having trouble trying to figure out why this is such a big deal, if you don't want the extra content, don't buy it.
But thats the thing, why should we need to buy it?
That way you wouldnt also be bothered if they sold the game for 5 euros and sold playing as each individual country for another euro a piece DLC.
They should rather raise the price a bit and add it to the main game, than making it a DLC imho.

That way you wouldnt also be bothered if they sold the game for 5 euros and sold playing as each individual country for another euro a piece DLC.
They should rather raise the price a bit and add it to the main game, than making it a DLC imho.

Ekhm... have you seen how they were selling CK2? :D

and what if someone has no intrest at all in flavout and the like, but doesnt want his game to cost more for that? thats the fun: you can choose. deluxe preorder+new DLC later for people who want flavour, the normal game and no later DLC for people who dont want that. everyone happy.

That's exactly what they did, it's called the extreme edition. :p

If you think about it the DLC is free if you have bought a prior paradox game. The Deluxe version is normally $45, the discount is 4.50. That leaves you at 40.50 which is basically the price of the normal version $40 for new buyers. Funny how that works.... I suggest that one should look at it as a free DLC for veteran players. Anyways $40 is a good price for a new game with as much replayability as the EU series.

and what if someone has no intrest at all in flavout and the like, but doesnt want his game to cost more for that? thats the fun: you can choose. deluxe preorder+new DLC later for people who want flavour, the normal game and no later DLC for people who dont want that. everyone happy.

Indeed. I know many people would have been pissed if they were forced to get Mediterranean Face Pack with The Republic DLC for CK2.

So Paradox is going to be having some Day 1 DLCs. They've previously explained that the graphic artists have nothing to do while the rest of the team is hard at work, so they create unit packs and such to bankroll the awesome, free patches we get. That's great. I'm totally fine with that, and you should be too - creating graphics is a whole lot of work, after all!

Thing is, though - I can't help but notice that with the Day 1 Star and Crescent DLC, they're including events - stuff that takes a half hour at most to whip up, and has no reason not to be included in the main game. Am I the only one that feels a bit cheated by this?

I don't feel cheated but their new dlc pre-order bullcrap managed to throw me off for sure, thus I came to the conclusion that I'm not going to pre-order or buy EU IV. :angry:

So when you found out the thing you wanted to buy had free extras you decided not to buy it? Well, it's up to you, but I don't follow your logic.

So when you found out the thing you wanted to buy had free extras you decided not to buy it? Well, it's up to you, but I don't follow your logic.

I don't really see it as "extras" during the pre-order if it was that you would offer all of the "extra" dlcs during the whole pre-order period. I find your new pre-order whatever it is thing rather repulsive. And yes I have been a loyal customer since Svea rike and even bought every DLC Paradox have released so far but this time it did not go home with me.

I like Paradox policy of modular DLC with graphichs, but this rationalization of a Day 1 DLC is a load of misguiding half-truth. Why should the work that has been done before release be considered as something extra? Paradox should be honest about it: "You can buy full version of the game if you want, or some crippled in not important aspects game".

Still it's much better than previous expansion model, when expansion was also a patch. CK2 is great in the sense that you can ignore DLCs and still get bugfixes and even new features. You'll have very limited faces pack and couldn't play as Muslims, but it's what you paid for.

I like Paradox policy of modular DLC with graphichs, but this rationalization of a Day 1 DLC is a load of misguiding half-truth. Why should the work that has been done before release be considered as something extra? Paradox should be honest about it: "You can buy full version of the game if you want, or some crippled in not important aspects game".
Why does it matter if it was done before or after the release? It wasn't part of original project.
If they said instead, that preorders will get "first three DLCs for free" and then released those DLCs three weeks later, I guess no one would whine about it...

I work 8 hour days, that's like 16 DLCs per day! We're rich now, RICH! :)

Seriously though, some of you might know I normally work on "Team Expansion" making TFH, HoD, etc. but right now I am working on some EUIV DLC. It's extra content that is produced to be sold (or given as bonuses in some cases), if it wasn't going to be DLC it wouldn't be made, there's no scenario where it becomes part of the base game for free because if we didn't expect a return on it I would be doing something else.

Randomized New World DLC? ;)

Why does it matter if it was done before or after the release? It wasn't part of original project.
If they said instead, that preorders will get "first three DLCs for free" and then released those DLCs three weeks later, I guess no one would whine about it...
Yes they will. People feel super entitled about that kind of stuff. Recently, I saw someone calling HoD "a patch that should have been free."

I don't really see it as "extras" during the pre-order if it was that you would offer all of the "extra" dlcs during the whole pre-order period. I find your new pre-order whatever it is thing rather repulsive. A

I have no idea what this means.

Here is an experiment for you:
Go to a bakery, buy a bun. Once you have paid and received your bun, demand that they also give you all the other buns that were baked in the same batch for no additional cost. Why should you only get one bun when they were all baked at the same time? Let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.