• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So you united the Jurchen about three centuries early...

Planning on being the Kangxi Emperor early too, or is 'reuniting' all of China not possible by 1660 in this mod?

Welcome :).

Of course I am able to claim the mandate as soon as possible. But it is still a long way ;).

Two cores for the price of one, always nice :)

J&J should be a lot easier this time...

Yeah, I enjoyed it as well. And yes, actually no country in China would be an opponent for me, the problem is that they keep coming in bunches.

A nice mixture of luck and skill you've got going on here. Some rough patches around the start, but otherwise it wouldn't be fun, would it?

Yes, it's bit of a balancing on the edge :D.

This is great, as a student of China studies I am rather excited to see what you will achieve!

Everyone: Sorry for the long hiatus, but bandwidth is bandwidth. Update soon.

Forging the dynasty - part two

OK. Where were we? I have just declared war against Korea (in order to snatch some provinces from Jin) and both Korean allies from China (Jin and Tianwan) have joined. I don't have as many troops as Jin and Joseon combined but the ability to take them one by one outweighs that. I am not afraid that Tianwan will intervene in any way.

So...

I decided to take down Jin first and attacked their army in their capital. Jeon Wang sees that opportunity and occupies Haixi with a single assault. It is a bit unfortunate as I've hoped my capital will hold for a longer time.

Anyway, while the Korean troops move on, my elite strike force led by general Nurhaci defeats the Jin army. The remnants of it retreat north, just to be welcomed by my secondary stack there - and surrender. First threat neutralised.

I send Nurhaci to meet Wang in the field (as his repeated tries to take Ninguta by storming the walls only exhaust his infantry) and another dynasty warns me. Well, the Chinese are quite good at trying to preserve the status quo.

The battle of Ninguta ends expectable well, I chase the retreating Koreans to their own territory, defeat them twice...

...and in April 1366, there are no more enemies in the theatre to kill.

The wild Jurchens think that it is not funny and rebel. I do not really care. To be honest, I even hoped at this moment that they would secede as the northern provinces are only a burden on my bureaucracy.

In August the first enemy fortress, Shenyang, falls, swiftly followed by Tangshan and this wonderful event. General Zhifang with his five-star fire and six(!)-star shock is exactly the thing I need to make my strike force even more superior.

The rest of the war is not really eventful. I take the last Jin province, lift the occupation of Haixi and start besieging Korean lands. As my infamy limit is less than ten, I cannot afford the full annexation of Jin so I am aiming to take their two Jurchen provinces, required to form Qing (with the last being Beijing).

So finally, in February 1369, three years into the war, I sign peace with Joseon (war leader). The wild Jurchens in Deren have stood there for the entire time, so I take an army and smash them. Their bad.

I station my troops there and retry to build the fortifications. The following years are not really eventful till in August 1371 this happens:

Someone is feeling a bit imperial here. No, seriously - what is Yuan thinking? Their country is crumbling and rebel infested, I have truce with all my neighbours and my armies are well prepared. They probably want to remember the good old days, I guess.

To be continued!

What is Yuan thinking ? That you are the easiest target they can dow :p You have no allies, no one guarantees you and your army is smaller than theirs + they have a good CB. Of course there is the matter of their land being wrecked by rebellions and them probably not being able to get half their army up in time to face you ;)

Looks like the Yuan want to go out swinging.

Good stuff so far Athalcor

Suicidal AI strikes again....

On the northern provinces, can you actually release them as a vassal?

Well, doing so would unfortunately take more than only the northern provinces...but I've learned to live with them :D.

What is Yuan thinking ? That you are the easiest target they can dow :p You have no allies, no one guarantees you and your army is smaller than theirs + they have a good CB. Of course there is the matter of their land being wrecked by rebellions and them probably not being able to get half their army up in time to face you ;)

Hm. You are probably right :D. Damned logic.

Forging the dynasty - part three

I entered the war with Yuan quite unprepared. Not only I did not have any troops in the area but I also did not know what exactly I wanted from it (I was quite sure I would win it). But that is the music of the future - now, let's focus on repelling the invasion.

Yes, even though it is collapsing, Yuan managed to assemble a formidable host and entered my territory. General Zhifang is immediately ordered to use all the swarm cavalry to drive them out.

After Subeqai's defeat in Bayisingtu, his army is chased to Chifeng, where its remnants surrender to the genial Jurchen leader.

While the shock army is again rushed up north as it is being infested by yet another uprising, the infantry stack led by general Nurhaci, full of confidence that there are no more enemies to be afraid of, crosses the borders to the Mongol territory.

On 10th July, in the province of Rehe, he actually meets with an armed opposition - the distant nation of Dai Nam has sent its expeditionary force to help its allies, only to meet with the grim fate of defeat.

The entire military leadership of the united Jurchen tribes (i.e. four Manchus on horsebacks) is surprised when a small stealth Yuan unit arrives from nowhere in Nerchinsky. Zhifang is sent to deal with it.

In October next Jurchen fort fails. This time to yet another foe - the Oirats. Yuan's allies are very loyal, that's for sure...

...but we show the enemy coalition that we are not afraid - Rehe finally surrenders to Nurhaci almost on the same day.

Nurhaci continues deeper in China to the province of Zhigu and Chihan patriots promptly rebel in Rehe. Oh man, even Zhifang can't be everywhere!

Here is the current front situation:

Actually, when you look a bit closer...

Damn. Another considerable Yuan army under the leadership of the Mongol Emperor himself has forfeited the defence of the southern lands, marched all the way to Beijing and begin chasing Nurhaci...

...who cannot escape quickly enough and is defeated in February 1373, though with minimal causalities. You can also see that the shock army has finally arrived in the theatre, smashed a small Mongol retinue and proceeded to defeat the rebels in Rehe.

In March the Oirats sign a white peace as they are busy defending their own western borders and the climax of the war is approaching:

The Khan is lured into Chifeng by Nurhaci's infantry host, seeing the reinforcements from the south only when it is too late.

His forces flee in disarray though with minimal losses. But their fate is already decided.

At the gates of the Northern Capital itself, the exhausted troops are caught by the shock army, encircled and, after some desperate skirmishes, surrender. Ayushiridara barely escapes capture and the Yuan's military might is broken.

The victory at Beijing brings me the fulfillment of a mission I've already forgotten I have. I am OK with that.

And in August 1373, a year after the start of the war, Yuan starts begging for peace. I disagree with them because a new plan has come to my mind...

To be continued!

Last edited:
Take Beijing and start a new dynasty... No Ming here, straight from Yuan to Qing!

Ming? What is 'Ming'?

:D

Great AAR with one of my favorite nations. Qing China is best China!! :D

And it seems like Nurhaci is uniting the tribes, 200 years early! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurhaci

I know Nurhaci only from the Indian Jones movie :D.

Me gusta. Take it all!

img

In other news: Photobucket has to be kidding me because 5 days after bandwidth reset:

Hello, Athalcor!

Your account is approaching the 10GB free bandwidth limit. Get unlimited* bandwidth with Photobucket Plus!

At first: Sorry everyone for the lack of updates but bandwidth issues and my interest in other stuff kind of limited me to keeping only one of my AARs alive. But, as I got momentarily bored by Victoria 2 after my four recent playthroughs, CK2+ does not seem to be anywhere near releasing, Leviathan Warships still suffers from the lack of players and I neither own Teleglitch DME nor got into Wizard Wars alpha yet, I could actually get this live again. Yeah.

you and me are in the same boat.... Well Im a bit deeper in the water then you due to the fact that I actually went over bandwich...

Let's see what can I do ;).

So much can you take this time without going over the BB limit?

To be honest, surprisingly lot actually as the CB used by Yuan reduces the BB cost to like 0.5 per province ;).

Is this still on? I liked it a lot...

Thanks for such a dedication :). See the top of the post for more info.