Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 32 - The more the merrier!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Please feel free to ensure STEAM is not required to buy or use this game because I will not be using it at that point. You guys screwed up HOI2 and 3 with your move-is-attack thingy, and I am VERY GLAD I didn't have to spend a lot of money to find out that IT DOESN'T WORK. On paper, EU3 sounded fabulous, but only after playing it for a few hours was it possible to find out that it just didn't work either. Now you propose to change nearly everything about EU4 AND to make it COMPLETELY impossible to get a refund if it turns into another MOO3 by chaining it with STEAM?

Please assure me STEAM is NOT a requirement to play or even buy. I don't want it on my computer at all. I don't care if you think it's an unreasonable phobia, or if they deserve it or not, I don't want it and about half the internet feels the same way. I also would appreciate knowing that move-is-attack will NOT be a part of EU4. How it made it into HOI3 I don't know, as no description I could find mentioned it, but thank God I was suspicious.

Please feel free to ensure STEAM is not required to buy or use this game because I will not be using it at that point. You guys screwed up HOI2 and 3 with your move-is-attack thingy, and I am VERY GLAD I didn't have to spend a lot of money to find out that IT DOESN'T WORK. On paper, EU3 sounded fabulous, but only after playing it for a few hours was it possible to find out that it just didn't work either. Now you propose to change nearly everything about EU4 AND to make it COMPLETELY impossible to get a refund if it turns into another MOO3 by chaining it with STEAM?

Please assure me STEAM is NOT a requirement to play or even buy. I don't want it on my computer at all. I don't care if you think it's an unreasonable phobia, or if they deserve it or not, I don't want it and about half the internet feels the same way. I also would appreciate knowing that move-is-attack will NOT be a part of EU4. How it made it into HOI3 I don't know, as no description I could find mentioned it, but thank God I was suspicious.

It is a Steam exclusive. Sorry.

Are you for real? Hahaha. Yeah you need Steam for EU4.

Last edited:

What the hell is "move-is-attack"?

Just clarifying one thing about people saying they won't be able to play mods on multiplayer because of steam.

Steam servers let's You to play normal game as well as mods, it was in several games already. As long there is no VAC Ban System which won't allow You to modify files, You will be able to play mods using official servers.

To prevent people with mods to join people without mods, if You played previous games by Paradox, mods always have different versions than Vanlla, so there shouldn't be a problem.

So yes, You will be able to play mods on official server as long as EU IV will support mods (Unless, Paradox will somehow stop it).

This really looks good. I have never played an MP Paradox game before, but what this looks like it will do is create an easy system for noobs like myself to join and try out. I'm hoping there will be some veterans who will once in a while do some noob friendly games to help teach the basics. This could be the start of something beautiful!

...or something foul, if I know the Internet :)

Oh god yes a new multiplayer system, it has been my biggest peeve about paradox titles (minus buggy releases that you guys are improving already) OOS and crash issues have always been a pain to deal with but should be easy to manage with hotjoining/server hosting. THANK YOU.

This multiplayer system sounds great. I have a couple of questions:
-Will the standalone server and the client (aka the game) be separate pieces of software able to run simultaneously on the same machine? I'm thinking about having a server running in the background in my computer and hotjoining into it from the game client now and then, will that be possible?
-Will there be an spectator mode?
-And last (I know this is wishful thinking but still), can we have any hope that this multiplayer mode gets retrofitted into CKII, at least on the steam version (I'm aware that something like that can be a development nightmare)?

I preordered already and believe steam will be stable for some time, but what would happen if (or when - everything ends) steam would end? We wouldn´t be able to play our games any more?

I preordered already and believe steam will be stable for some time, but what would happen if (or when - everything ends) steam would end? We wouldn´t be able to play our games any more?

Steam would release the patch to un-DRM the games, or (in case of complete bankruptcy) would release the methods to crack them. All in the contract, somewhere.

Well, there may be problems with other games, but fpr PI games steam is only requiered to install, but not to play.