• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
These are command line tools, you need to open cmd.exe. This usually brings you to C:/Users/<your_user_name>/Desktop. From there navigate to the folder where you extracted the tools, assuming they are in a folder called "warlocktools" on your desktop, just type 'cd warlocktools' and then type in the instructions as explained in the previous posts.

Just wanted to check in with you guys. How's it going? Are you managing to do anything that you want or are there many showstoppers?

I am still not able to write my own scripts...

I see... As stated earlier, I am completely noob when it comes to these things. Could you explain, as you would for an idiot who knows nothing, exactly what the problems are and I'll see if there is anything I can do to help you out?

I see... As stated earlier, I am completely noob when it comes to these things. Could you explain, as you would for an idiot who knows nothing, exactly what the problems are and I'll see if there is anything I can do to help you out?
Unfortunately I think there's two idiots in the room at the moment :)
The problem is: I would like to override some of the (simpler) game mechanics. I can write scripts and I know there is support for scripting but I don't know where to start. Looking at the .lua files we have now they define some functions that are being called by the game engine. It would be a good start to know if there are other external functions that can be called by the engine, if so what they are and is there a mechanism to register new ones.

I'm really to bad in english, so my apologies if my attemps to explain is incomprehensible.

You can't do it Modjo. You'll need the source code to do that AND an acces to TheEngine used to developped this game.
I don't even know why they have make some lua files, they have an extremely limited use.

I always compare warlock to King's bounty because they use the same engine. In king's bounty, lua files control major part of the game. Modding is hard but possible. Now for warlock, we can change some value in xm, so we can change values for unit, building, spell, and may be created new one. Created is not really the right word, duplicated would be more appropriate. if it's comparable to KB (and it shoudl be because it's the same engine), we'll not be able to add new 3d mode.

Ino-co was honest, Warlock is not designed to be modded (well without some important change to their code).

Ino-co was honest, Warlock is not designed to be modded (well without some important change to their code).
This is true I remember reading that in a rockpapershotgun article about warlock. I guess you're mostly right here but I am still hoping there might be some API ports that haven't been exposed in the existing lua files.

Even, it would be not enough. We need entry point to use them. We nearly don't have any in these lua files.
They could translate their code from c++ to lua, but i don't think it's on the menu.

Hi, first time poster here. Picked up Warlock recently, and I love it, specially the Armageddon, thanks to the devs for this great game. Also happy to see modding getting some love, games like this are made for modding. I do hope next Warlock (which I'm happy to hear is coming) will have somekind of support for it from the start, or atleast in reasonable time-frame for the devs from the launch.

Anyways, I was wondering, does these tools, or others here allow unit unpacking/modifications? I mean textures, models, and such for existing units, or even making new ones? Or heroes? New ones, or just editing the existing ones.

I'm asking since I'm interested doing exactly that, altought I'm working on other modding too, so I was hoping getting some direct answer on the matter just to save time, instead going in straight forward trying to figure it out myself, hope you understand my lazynes in that regards.^^

I am trying to use the tools here, but they seem not to be working for me. I have tried the instructions for squeezer.exe and all it garners me is a locked up cmd window and no extracted files. Is there any more extensive documentation for the tools listed here.

Since the TXMLConvert tool doesn't support wildcards yet, I've made a little batchfile to save some time extracting it all. Put convertAll.bat and TXMLConvert.exe in the same directory as all the .binary files, then run convertAll.bat. Get the batchfile via MediaFire, or use notepad to paste the code below into a .bat file yourself.
Code:
@ECHO OFF
mkdir xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 actionviewdatalist.binary xml\actionviewdatalist.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 ai.binary xml\ai.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 artifactdatalist.binary xml\artifactdatalist.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 asks.binary xml\asks.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 buildings.binary xml\buildings.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 buildingsview.binary xml\buildingsview.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 buildlandpresets.binary xml\buildlandpresets.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 dialogsounds.binary xml\dialogsounds.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 difflevels.binary xml\difflevels.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 environment.binary xml\environment.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 fractions.binary xml\fractions.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 gfxdefs.binary xml\gfxdefs.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 idlesounds.binary xml\idlesounds.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 inputactions.binary xml\inputactions.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 landscapesounds.binary xml\landscapesounds.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 landtypedata.binary xml\landtypedata.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 localresources.binary xml\localresources.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 logicparams.binary xml\logicparams.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 perks.binary xml\perks.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 perksviewdatalist.binary xml\perksviewdatalist.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 quests.binary xml\quests.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 races.binary xml\races.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 randomeventdatalist.binary xml\randomeventdatalist.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 renderparams.binary xml\renderparams.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 sfxattach.binary xml\sfxattach.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 skydataex.binary xml\skydataex.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 spelleffectsdatalist.binary xml\spelleffectsdatalist.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 spells.binary xml\spells.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 structuredatalist.binary xml\structuredatalist.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 tiledefs.binary xml\tiledefs.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 tileinfolist.binary xml\tileinfolist.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 treedatalist.binary xml\treedatalist.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 unitavatars.binary xml\unitavatars.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 unitbattlesounds.binary xml\unitbattlesounds.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 unitlevelups.binary xml\unitlevelups.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 unitmovesounds.binary xml\unitmovesounds.xml
txmlconvert /tUTF8 units.binary xml\units.xml

BjornB said:
Just wanted to check in with you guys. How's it going? Are you managing to do anything that you want or are there many showstoppers?
Modders will need a decent way to edit the localization database (thread) so they can change the on-screen names of things and give new things names that work properly. Needless to say, mods will be rather limited if they can neither add nor rename anything.

Hello, all, I did try to used Squeezer.exe and TXMLConvert.exe in Windows 7 64 Bit, but all it do it's appor "Command Prompt" then second it's gone even I tried run as Admin right, still not work. I could not unpack it or something?

I plan to mod said removed pig on hex from world map as I don't like to build those hex as I see pig is not a food to me that is. So anyone know how to remove pig resource from world of map? Don't care to remove pig farm, but pig resource on map is get in my way of building, I can't build anything other than pig farm on pig resource on map,
and Dragon Queen's starting race should had Elves Race, I think but there Mod had it but too many changed to my dislike, I guess. but first problem, I seem can't unpack to mod file due first problem that I'm having right now.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello, all, I did try to used Squeezer.exe and TXMLConvert.exe in Windows 7 64 Bit, but all it do it's appor "Command Prompt" then second it's gone even I tried run as Admin right, still not work. I could not unpack it or something?

It sounds like you are trying to run them by double clickin in the .exe files. This isn't the way they are used. As it says in the earlier posts you need to run them through the command prompt.