Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 32 - The more the merrier!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is legitimately cool. The only thing I'm wondering is whether or not those stupid codes (stuff like GPDH- for some reason I can't remember the word for them right now) will still be in the game. They shouldn't be.

I found some good reasons at this topic to buy the game and not just download it. A game with decent MP is 10 times better than single player. I hope it will not be difficult to start and play MP games...
What, "game developers' children are unaccountably addicted to food" isn't a good enough reason to pay for a game you want to play?

I can see how this would help people playing multiplayer games over the internet, and hotjoin seems like it could be useful if the game will be crashing or going out of sync all the time. But as someone who only played EU3 and any other paradox games really over lan (and will likely keep it that way). I can't help but feel the steam stuff would be more a pain than it will be worth for me with the extra steps.

Guess we'll just have to see how it turns out I suppose.

This is legitimately cool. The only thing I'm wondering is whether or not those stupid codes (stuff like GPDH- for some reason I can't remember the word for them right now) will still be in the game. They shouldn't be.
The checksum system serves a number of useful purposes which completely outweigh any petty irritation it may cause you.

So, Paradox should just allow players to play in same game with different versions?

Either the host would need to send their files to everybody (allowing host to cheat without others knowing) or there would be constant OOS.

Sounds Great, i love to see more MP games.

I hope there will be something that stupid/annoying players can be marked. I mean players who just join a game and fool around and leave can be marked, so that other hosts know.
(e.g. attacking all neighbours, and leave. breaking all alliances and leave.)

This could be done in a kind of reputation system or something. either by players voting on other players or by ingame mechanics (Gaining score while winning wars and other achievements, loosing score for tooo many starts/quits OOS stuff) .

Engage in Multiplayer: Battle against your friends or try co-operative multiplayer mode that allows several players to work together to control a single nation

Pretty sure you can already do that in EU3.

Edit: emu'd

The checksum system serves a number of useful purposes which completely outweigh any petty irritation it may cause you.

Even with the same version I can never play with friends because our check sums are always different. I've changed the location of my EU files multiple times, so it isn't that. If I could just outright hack the checksum it would be simple, but without that I'd much rather the host send his save game and checksum to the other players (though Bane raises a good point that this would allow the host to cheat).

Because you've edited the game in some way, or your friends did. The checksum is a product of the complete composition of all your files, with some exceptions. If you changed even one letter in one file it would return a different checksum.

Before visible checksum, you just couldn't join the game-without necessarily knowing that it was a version mismatch (which, by the way, is commonly the message). Checksum effectively exists whether you can see it or not.

An eternal server would be very, very neat. I doubt it would result in a WC so long as it's remotely popular, as all it takes is one player loading up the WCing country and releasing a bunch of vassals.

The AAR of such a server must be written.

Assuming "Hotjoining" means sexy blonde swedish girls are the only people allowed to join my multiplayer games then I love this new feature.

And now everything has a new meaning.