• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[post=15471219]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 19

This was a time between wars; a time for expansion in other ways.

331eq0k.jpg

Tomas smiled as he asked, “So, now we begin to prepare to take over Japan?”

Range paused to stare at Tomas, before asking, “What is with you and Japan?”

“Not me…the book,” replied Tomas, not wasting a moment to respond.

“My plan to is take as much of Spain as I can.” Range then stormed off.

“But, what about Japan?”

31352rm.jpg

Spain had taken the west coast of North America, and much of South America. During the war, Portugal had burned down a trading post in San Bernardino…which was now a colony of Portugal. As for Spain, they had taken Canyon after burning Portugal’s trading post there.

Range fumed over losing Canyon.

“Why are you concerning yourself with Canyon?” Asked Tomas.

“Because it’s ours.”

“Oh…so, you believe that Canyon is still ours…what of San Bernardino, is that still Spain’s?” Tomas laughed. “As the book says:

In the land of America, Portugal will touch the great ocean to the west.

“And, you’ve already achieved that...so, maybe we should concern ourselves with Japan.”

“Not so fast…I want Canyon back and Altair for good measure.”

“The book stops short of saying anything about that.”

“So…what are you worried about?”

“If your plans include taking anymore on west coast, I’d think twice about going against the book.”

9a2rdy.jpg

This is bad...it'll split Tago's trading. "We're making over 300 Ducats there."

Last edited:
There's still time for Japan, I imagine - I'm looking forward to seeing how that transpires. Will the Spanish ever stop being so annoying? I'll warrant they need to be taken out ;)

Looking forward to the final stretch.

There's still time for Japan, I imagine - I'm looking forward to seeing how that transpires. Will the Spanish ever stop being so annoying? I'll warrant they need to be taken out ;)

Looking forward to the final stretch.

The die has been cast. As always Range will do what he deems appropriate; book, or no book. Yes, the Spanish have been a great big pain...more than the Japanese could ever be. As for the Japanese; they too will also have their day on the battlefield against Portugal.

Last edited:
Remind me, does San Bernardino have gold?

Hi J. Passepartout.

Sadly no. San Bernardino is only wheat. I was just glad to see a province on the coast ripe to be taken. So I grabbed the opportunity. I believe Sierra Madre has gold.

An update to be posted later tonight (Friday) EST.

Last edited:
[post=15484632]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 20

If you have to have another war against Spain,” said Tomas,

“. . .Maybe the book has renewed itself.”

“You mean maybe it can tell me the Spanish moves?”

“Like you’d listen.”

“Oh. I’ll listen all right,” said Range, “If the book’s words makes sense.”

That night Tomas checked the book with the help of the glow from a thick melting candle. Then just before dawn he found a new line appeared” The book said:

War after war; Portugal and the faltering Spain shall fight one another, until Spain‘s only defense is to burn the new world.

It’s WAR!

311wais.jpg

The first move was for Portugal to capture Altair, followed by burning down the Spanish trading port in Canyon.

2h81d3r.jpg

On mainland Europe, Portugal once again swarmed over Spain’s provinces.

In the end, Portugal had regained Canyon by placing a new trading post there. As for Altair, there were greater prizes for victory. . .

2q1rlsh.jpg

Euskaria and Valencia.

Range turned to Tomas to say, “I grow tired of war.”

“What of Japan?”

Tomas’ book had a new paragraph, which said:

The new country Navarra…shall become a stumbling block against peace between Portugal and Spain.

Last edited:
Hmmm, does Navarra take a lot of provinces when it defects from Spain?

Hmmm, there's not a lot left for them to defect with. But, they're always one of those countries that pop up...even in EU3...Unless I missed them showing up. And, they'll disappear before anyone knows they were there.

Last edited:
A succinct update, but entertaining nonetheless. The whole burning the New World things sounds rather ominous.

I don't imagine Navarre will get more than two provinces - Navarra and Béarn. Maybe even just Navarra.

As far as I understand, there isn't long left. I'm looking forward to seeing how you fit a war with Japan in.

A succinct update, but entertaining nonetheless. The whole burning the New World things sounds rather ominous.

I don't imagine Navarre will get more than two provinces - Navarra and Béarn. Maybe even just Navarra.

As far as I understand, there isn't long left. I'm looking forward to seeing how you fit a war with Japan in.

Thank you.

Yeah...the time grows very short. However, sadly, I am experiencing some problems with the game crashing. I guess too much is going on for the speed I'm going at. I'm going to have to lower the play speed and save every month to finish.

As for Japan, at some point I have to leave Spain alone until I can take of Japan.

I think I know how to do it...that is if Navarre can survive a little longer.

I should have another update in about a half an hour.

[post=15492030]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 21

With the war over, Tomas caught up with Range.

“Another war,” commented Tomas.

“Not now,” said Range. “But, Spain is faltering. .

“Faltering,” said Tomas, recalling what the book said:

War after war Portugal and the faltering Spain shall fight one another; until Spain ‘s only defense is to burn the new world.

An additional line was added to the book:

This alone will bring a hasty end of hostility between these two countries for all times.

“The book gives a warning,” Tomas told Range.

6jhi5d.jpg

Tomas acted astonished, “What do you know about that. The book did it again!”

Range smirked, “Are you having fun?

6iz6yu.jpg

The war between Spain and Portugal was abruptly brought on when Navarra was under attack by Spain. The province of Navarra had already fallen…

As for peace talks, Range had to think good and hard about which provinces he would take in peace negotiations. It came down to this; Catalonia had a shipyard…Aragon had income…but, the determining factor of which two Portugal would take came down to the fact that the folks in Sierra Nevada was constantly revolting. “We’ll take Catalonia and Aragon.”

As for Navarra; it was safe…at least for now.

xpufxy.jpg

The Spanish homeland continued to shrink, and not much remains.

In the past war small forces of Spain came ashore at two points along Portugal’s eastern seaboard of the Americas. . .in the province of Savannah, and Roanoke. They were most likely heading for the trading posts in land. However, for Portugal, luck won out in both cases as the invaders were cut down by crack Portuguese cavalry units stationed nearby before they marched out the provinces they landed in.

“Tomas,” Range, mounted on a steed, yelled out. “Don’t keep secrets! When that book gives hints like that share what it says with friends.”

“What’s the problem. . .we stopped them didn’t we?”

“Only by the stroke of luck.”

“Providence…my son…Providence.”

“Will you stop calling me your son. . .I’m almost old enough to be your father.”

Tomas checked the book daily. But, the most ominous, and frightening passage soon began to appear be written out as if by God's own finger before Tomas’ very eyes. The passage read:

On the morning of 1-11-55, the great city near the Tagus will feel three tremors, before the sea will rush up and swallow most of those still alive in the city. . .then fire shall follow...

Tomas showed the passage to Range. They both were puzzled. In all their travels they knew of no earthquake in the near future in this region.

Last edited:
That was all rather ominous. You've made good gains in Iberia, it would seem - and it looks like I was right about Navarre. Will Spain be burning Portugal's entire trade empire?

The earthquake near the Tegus is worrying. Would it be Lisbon that shall be affected?

Ah, yes, the good old earthquake of 1755. Will Candide be showing up? ;)

No...but, Voltaire might.

Anthony Quinn :)

Yeah...I like placing cameos in Range's adventures. Did you catch Cesar Romero? You'll never guess who Range resembles.

That was all rather ominous. You've made good gains in Iberia, it would seem - and it looks like I was right about Navarre. Will Spain be burning Portugal's entire trade empire?

The earthquake near the Tegus is worrying. Would it be Lisbon that shall be affected?

Lisbon...you guessed it. As for everything else...

[post=15517016]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

ENTRY 22

i4pp93.jpg

Range

Range had taken many journeys through time. Although he was a warrior; he had rules of engagements and attacking those that couldn’t defend themselves. If there was one thing he tried to be. . . he tried to be fair. “A threat ceases to be a threat when that foe can no longer defend themselves against you,” he was heard to say. That’s how he was beginning to feel about Spain.

He often felt a sort of obligation to a pointprotect fledgling countries like Navarre. “They never did anything to anyone. They just want to be free. They’re not like little annoying counties that look for opening to make trouble.”

352mb04.jpg

Range had no fear of war…even though the coast lines of America was finally being protected he had grown tired of war.

Shortly after the war, revolts were popping up everywhere on mainland Portugal One revolt in of the revolts had over 60,000 farmers with pitchforks standing up against 50,000 regulars. The revolt as with any revolt against Portugal was doomed to failure…with Portugal’s great armies bunched about throughout mainland Europe..

33nksnb.jpg

Then, there was Britain…Spain as well as everyone was taking chucks out her and Ireland. “You’d think they’d give a better show for themselves.”

15yb639.jpg

King Ferdinand VII of Spain
9 July 1746 – 10 August 1759

Shortly after Spain had been humiliated in by Portugal once more, King Ferdinand VII of Spain sent a representative to Range (and, not to the King of Portugal).

When Spain’s representative arrived he was not kept waiting. The man sent was no other than Cesar; now a very-very old man.

Tomas came to him first, soon being joined by Range. “My good friend,” said Tomas with a wide smile.

Range, too, greeted his old friend with a great big smile. “Cesar, how good it is to see you, again.

“You remember me,” Tomas, Range. “But, you truly neither of you have aged a day since we last met. If I had such a potion, I would still have the ladies.” His hardy laugh was quickly interrupted by a nagging cough that nearly stole his breath away for good.

23vysrc.jpg

General (retired) Cesar de a Cueva.

Cesar, his hair entirely grey, and nearly all gone was a weak picture of a man was once so virile and proud. “Time has a way of humbling a man,” he told Range and Tomas.

At dinner that night, Cesar looked to Range and asked, “For an old acquaintance such as I what would it take to stop these senseless wars between Portugal and Spain?”

Range paused to think, before locking to Tomas who’d eyes had dropped. “Navarre. . .“ was Range’s reply.

“I don’t understand,” said Cesar.

“Tell your king that Portugal will cease all hostilities toward Spain. . .as long as Spain does not go to war against Navarre. But, once Spain goes to war against Navarre. . .aIl bets are off. . .hostilities between Portugal and Spain will resume.”

“But, Range, be reasonable. . .what you are asking is like…like telling a fox not to attack a chicken.”

“We feel that Navarre wants to be free of Spain’s rule.”

Tomas then spoke up to add, “if you think of it, Navarre is pretty much like we were before the wars. . .we wanted to stand beyond the shadow that Spain cast upon us.”

“And, what if Navarre declares war on Spain?” Cesar asked Range.

Range did not reply, but continued to look at Cesar.

Cesar soon sighed, realizing the weight of the alternative. Them focusing on his own question he understood the answer. “I see.,. .there’s always diplomatic measures that can be employed. That’s a hard lesson for a soldier to learn...eh, my friends?”

“It is my friend,” replied Range, “for all sides.”

Cesar would return to Spain with Range’s terms for a lasting peace between Spain and Portugal.

2vtz5w0.jpg

A forgotten colony gains prominence as a new market.

2s1unv9.jpg

Meanwhile another colony grows into a city. . . not far from Japan.

16c41tf.jpg

Can invasion be far away?

Even though Range had grown tired of war, Tomas took one line from the book to heart; one that began to reappear, over and over. It read:

The military leader of Portugal will long for peace…for a time it shall be his…until a great hook will draw him into a war in search of great gains…which will eventually lead him into one war after another…until all of the new world shall be ablaze.

Last edited:
Forty years left, give or take. Range seems to have mellows into a rather altruistic character. I imagine he must be quite lonely - at least, that's the impression the scene with Cesar gave me.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Japan. At the end, could we have a poltical map of the world please?

I can certainly see him gettting lonely, spending all this time in early modern Europe when he could be in the awesome land of wherever he comes from.

What country's army is that in Cambodia province? I want to say Turkey but that seems pretty far from home for them, and it could be some Indian nation with a flag I am forgetting about.

Forty years left, give or take. Range seems to have mellows into a rather altruistic character. I imagine he must be quite lonely - at least, that's the impression the scene with Cesar gave me.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Japan. At the end, could we have a poltical map of the world please?

The next two Entries might shed some light on Range's past. Sure, I'll put a political map in.

I can certainly see him gettting lonely, spending all this time in early modern Europe when he could be in the awesome land of wherever he comes from.

What country's army is that in Cambodia province? I want to say Turkey but that seems pretty far from home for them, and it could be some Indian nation with a flag I am forgetting about.

Believe it or not it's Turkey...Persia has been fighting in North America for years against the French. I showed their occupation flag earlier in the AAR.

The place where he comes from is beyond time. He's actually a runaway from his world. His people are actually caretakers of time. But, Range wanted more.

[post=15526005]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 23

Through all of Range’s travels there are always one constant…he’s always hooking with at least one side-kick. As for the ladies…

“You know you worry me,” said Tomas.

“Oh, why is that?” Asked Range.

“On one hand you’re confident…and, at times you even seem able to cope being all alone…”

“What’s your point?”

“I don’t think it’s such a good thing anyone should be alone.”

“I suppose you’re referring to Maria.”

“What’s so wrong with Maria?”

“Nothing…oh, I’ve thought of her and me a lot. But, it just wouldn’t work that’s all.”

“So?” Asked Tomas.

“You tell me…what happens when our journey is done?”

“We either go home…or, up line…”

“Then, what happens to those we leave behind?” Asked Range, “I’ll tell you if you’ve forgotten…they grow old wondering if we’ll ever return. Finally, they’ll die and the wondering stops. And, if we bring them up line…and, we take off on some other journey; when we return nothing is the same…they’re not even there…in fact, it’s like they never existed. No, thank you.”

No sooner did Range and Tomas step outside they were met by Maria and younger brother Michael. “So, that’s where you’ve been hiding.”

2yzc5qe.jpg

Maria

“Hiding?” Asked Range, surprised to see Maria.

“If a girl didn’t know better; a girl might begin to think that you’ve been avoiding her,” said Maria.

“Why would you think that,” said Tomas.

“Stole it,” Range snapped.

“He can’t stop talking about you.”

“Will you please stop.”

“I think we should leave you two love birds alone,” said Tomas. “Come along junior.”

“So, which is it…do you want to get rid of me, or keep me around?”

“Both…I just don’t want to see you get hurt.”

“Well, then…you won’t be getting rid of me anytime soon. So, get use to me hanging around more and more.”

“That not so bad,” said Range. “But, do me a favor…on All Saint’s day…go to early mass, the earliest as possible…better yet, stay at hone…”

“I must go…”

“All right…then go to church the night before All Saint’s Day. But, make sure all your family friends are not in church after 9AM that day.”

“Range…you’re scaring me.”

“Oh, it’s just some silly premonition Tomas had. Just make sure no one you know is in church on All Saint’s Day after 9AM.”

Another update to be posted on Monday.

Last edited: