Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 32 - The more the merrier!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This seems like a proper place to put this...Adam Orth

93e.jpg

With all the dislike for Steam, thanks for using their multiplayer function. It's so amazingly much easier to just invite people off your friends list than tryin to get everyone into the same bloody room which half of them can't even see...

My main concern is with the usability of mods in multiplayer, though, as Civilization V set a very, VERY bad precedent there...
That's Civ 5's fault, it has nothing to do with Steam

My first experience with CKII online was something like this: 5 people wanting to play online,after 2 hours of port fowarding and failed attempts, we had 5 sad people playing single player.

I understand some of the hate towards steam, DRM, its restrictions etc but I think it is justifiable for amount of good features (and less headache) that steam can offer.

This x1000. I know a lot of people will bitch and moan about Steam, but, if it makes EU multiplayer available for more than the .1% of the fanbase that can currently manage it, consider me excited.

Bah, not enough moaning, I came here to snigger at people who have an undying hatred of Steam, but alas, most of them did not depart from their lairs.

But then again, I doubt they play too much multiplayer.

Thank god, trying to get your friends into your hosted game in eu3 was such a chore, very happy to see the router ports gone for good :blush:

Overall very welcome additions. A couple of questions/observations/suggestions:

Hotjoining
One major complaint we've had about the multiplayer experience in our previous games, is the hassle with having to rehost if someone loses their connection or wants to join the game at a later time. We have rewritten our network kengine from scratch and, if the host so desires, players can join a game already in progress through what we call hotjoin. That player will then connect, and get the savegame sent to him or her, allowing that player to join with minimal work, and with just a small pause for the rest of the players.

First, yay for hotjoining!

However, with hotjoining comes the occasional Out Of Sync error in my experience with other games that have this feature. While I'm all for hotjoining I'd like to see something in EU4 that some other games (ie: Civ 4) had in regards to OOS errors that we did not see in EU3. In short whenever anyone goes OOS, all players get an indicator showing who is OOS that does not go away, and not just the player that goes OOS, as is the case in EU3. This has two benefits:

1st: It can be helpful in determining what exactly causes the OOS error.
2nd: It greatly reduces or eliminates all-together some exploits/cheats that some less honorable players do engage in. (ie: in EU3 some folks have been known to pause the game and pretend OOS, to get a rehost, to look at a save, to avoid a stab hit, avoid a bad event, etc).

Where I suggest putting this in the UI is as a mouseover, like how each players individual game date is shown in EU3. So if someone goes OOS, everyone gets a pop-up telling them that so-and-so went OOS that they can close, but the information that someone is OOS remains in that mouseoverable area where it shows what date everyone is on (I'm assuming that's coming back for EU4?).

Improved Chat
Eu4 has an improved chat compared to EU3. We are using the one we premiered for HoI3: Their Finest Hour, where you can have chat channels and secret whispers. It also has a long scrollback so you can see all the previous chat, and is easily minimized so it won’t obstruct the screen while playing. You can also clearly see when a private message sent to you.

Thank Odin! Do we have copy n paste abilities as well? That is a basic feature that was sorely missing from EU3 chat (and the Host IP input box).

AI Takeover.
As all who have played a game over the internet can testify, shit does happen. Sometimes you lose your internet connection, sometimes you lose power, sometimes the game even crashes. In EU3, the host could then decide to have your country either go braindead or become fully controlled by the AI. In EU4 we have expanded this, and now have a few options where you can tell the AI how they should govern the country while the human player is AWOL. You can tell it to avoid starting wars, to keep alliances even if an AI would cancel them, whether it canmove merchants or not and more customization options.

What is also cool is this aspect is saved in the save game file, so if you miss a session in your MP campaign, your country is more likely to be as you want it when you get back to playing it again.

Is this something the gamehost does or something the individual player does? I think ideally each player in a multiplayer game could set their AI settings the way they'd like, with the gamehost being able to set them if the player failed to do so, or override a player choice if need be (ie: player DCs and had alliances set to not be saved, yet the gamehost knows that is not what the player actually wanted).

I'm very excited to try multiplayer. I'd assume we're going to come up with a bunch of acronyms for those tags so that people can readily find a game they want. IWAPOFTBEGW, I Want A Player Opponent For This Big End-Game War. SIYCCMA, See If You Can Conquer My Americans. NAGBWIAWA, Need A Great Britain Who Is A Worthwhile Ally. And so on. :)

I've never played any of PDS's games on multiplayer. I thought CK2 was supposed to be so highly polished, that I bought it for Mac for my girlfriend but we could never get it to connect. If it's really as user-friendly as it looks, I would pay money to have this system in CK2! Most of my friends aren't PC gamers, so I hope that I can make friends and find recurring games with the new system + the forums :)

What will the system reqs "approximately" be for the Stand Alone Server? Do you think a Raspberry Pi (Model B) can handle running the Stand Alone Server?

Johann answered it up there, but there is also another problem: a RPi uses ARM, which means that even if Pdox releases Linux server binaries (which I hope they will!) you won't be able to run them on a RPi.

Would be cool if you could start the game without even knowing who is playing who.So you might be trying to get Burgundy in PU with France, only to realise that Burgundy and Austria are human players, and have decided to team up against you :).Also playing with Russia you could be surprised to discover that Japan is unifiied and maybe westernized at the time you reached the Pacific.

Currently Human players are visible. So you know when you're fighting AI, or Human. Interesting suggestion though.

AFAIK:
1. You must be logged in Steam to play MP
2. You need Steam to install the game, but if you only play SP you can move the game folder and delete Steam if you want

Well, if that's true, then I find that disappointing.

I guess it wasn't that surprising though, considering that the GG version of CK2 does use some form of DRM for the DLC.

It seems Paradox has changed in this regard.

I guess it wasn't that surprising though, considering that the GG version of CK2 does use some form of DRM for the DLC.

EU3 is a Steam-only title, I find it hard to understand why anyone would expect the multiplayer (running on Steamworks) to work when not logged onto Steam.

The GG version of CK2 uses only authentication to ensure you can use what you have bought, and even that is fairly minor. Paradox didn't change, it's just that requiring Steam is the best option available for almost everyone. I'd like a Steam-free version, yeah, as I have all my Pdox games on GamersGate (from EU1 to the jazzy amazing Leviathan Warships), but I don't mind. In fact, as it means we'll be able to play EUIV online nicely, Steam is the best. It'll actually help me, as I own computers with Linux, OS X and Windows.

EU3 is a Steam-only title[...]

???

No, it isn't.

[...] I find it hard to understand why anyone would expect the multiplayer (running on Steamworks) to work when not logged onto Steam.

I was referring to the point that EU4 will be apparently be a Steam-only title. I don't really care about the multiplayer.

The GG version of CK2 uses only authentication to ensure you can use what you have bought, and even that is fairly minor.[...]

To me it doesn't matter how minor it is, it's still DRM.

Paradox didn't change, it's just that requiring Steam is the best option available for almost everyone.

When I said that they changed, I was referring to their DRM policy, which is pretty obviously not the same as it used to be.

I also don't think that requiring Steam is the best option for almost everyone. It may be the best option for Paradox though, regarding the amount of potential customers and the multiplayer implementation.

[..]I'd like a Steam-free version, yeah, as I have all my Pdox games on GamersGate (from EU1 to the jazzy amazing Leviathan Warships), but I don't mind. In fact, as it means we'll be able to play EUIV online nicely, Steam is the best. It'll actually help me, as I own computers with Linux, OS X and Windows.

Good for you then. I still prefer Paradox's pre-CK2 DRM policy though.

Let's agree to disagree.