• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(463662)

Lt. General
4 Badges
Mar 11, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Rome Gold
June Game of the Month: Henry and the Dragon

What if there had been no clear resolution to the Wars of the Roses?

The Tudors had a weak claim to the throne anyway and...

What would have been the fallout if Richard III had not been killed at the Battle of Bosworth?

What if his son was now the king of an independent York?

There's two pathways in this game:

The easy route:

...and the hard route:

Western Europe:

...but there's something else, something terrible lurking somewhere in the distance... it might be a race against time to complete those primary and secondary goals before all hell breaks loose...

No matter whether you start as Henry in London, or Henry in York, your primary and secondary goals are as follows:

Primary Goals
Own all British Isles region
CoT and capital in London
Barbados
Statute in Restraint of Appeals
All British cultures fully Protestant

Secondary Goals
Primary goals and...
Own all Thirteen Colonies region
CoT in Manhattan
Be in continuous possession of Calais
Pass Calais is staple port decision (if England)
Dadra and Goa

Scoring will be as follows:
Played to end of scenario: +1
Played as York:+1
Primary goals:+ 2
Secondary goals: +2
Bonus goals: +2
Third place:+ 1
Second place:+ 2
First place: +3
For a total of 11 points

First, second and third place will be awarded to those who complete the challenges in the fastest possible time.

If you don't manage to hit the primary goals, end of scenario counts as 1st Jan 1644. Otherwise play until completion of desired goals.

But what about the bonus goals?

Last edited:
Civilizations rise and fall and maybe it was just blind luck that history ended up the way that it did. The West and the Rest and all that...

Maybe it was just blind luck...

...or maybe not. It seems that Europe is in the middle of a new dark age...

Good luck. You're going to need it...

Bonus Goals
The other side of the Channel, cored (Normandy, Caux, Picardie)
Macau, Shangai

Fastest completion wins.

Get your save here:

http://www.filedropper.com/gotm2yorengi

Last edited:
This game has been tested on a fresh install of 5.1 (BJLT) and the latest 5.2 beta. If there are any problems, holler.

Rules
No magic money, no ship induced technology, no console, no cheese etcetera etcetera.
No more than 2 PU's at a time.

Openness
If you see something suspiciously cheesey, don't be afraid to ask the player concerned what and why they did that thing that they did...

... and don't forget to praise the incredible! Sometimes it's good, and also true!

Everybody will post a screenshot one year into each game, and then every ten years after that, and give a short description about what's happened to them in that time.
This not only aids transparency, but also.. detailed playthroughs will be well appreciated too.

Tips
1. The reformation will fire pretty much at game start. Be prepared if you want a fairly painless conversion.

2. Check your National Ideas. Will they help in your fight?

3. You might want to see if there's any decisions you might want to take before you unpause.

4. Scorch the land if you need to.

4. If you're finding the primary goals difficult. Pause and have a look around. Sometimes opportunities that weren't there yesterday pop up tomorrow. Today's friends become tomorrow's foes, and vice versa.

5. Don't venture too far East unless you want to go for the bonus goals. Well you can, you'll probably be fine...

6. There is no requirement that York must become England, or England must become GB, it is just required that the entire British Isles are owned uninterrupted upon conquest. (becoming the higher union is very helpful though, as it gives a load aof free cores!)

You will have until the 20th June to complete this challenge.

Last edited:
Did you intend to post a save?

Did you intend to post a save?

http://www.filedropper.com/gotm2yorengi

Put this save game in your save game folder, which should be at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Europa Universalis III - Complete\save games

or

C:\Program Files (x86)\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis III\save games

And load it up.

I wrote the title in CAPS so that it's easy to find if you've got a lot of games in your folder.

Last edited:
History is not luck. It is people choices and fate. Those two thing. People choices are people choices, and fate is controlled by god. Or other force if you don't believe in god. By fate, i mean things like :
Volcanoes
Deluges
Storms
Tornados
Animals being in direct places
Other things that are dependant on STAGE but not actors(avalanches, stones falling from towers etc.)
Fate is either controlled by god - or if you don't believe in such things - then by laws of physics(but if you believe in god - laws of physics were invented by him, so he is behind it).

Fate is either controlled by god - or if you don't believe in such things - then by laws of physics(but if you believe in god - laws of physics were invented by him, so he is behind it).

Or by geopolitical tides that result from socio-economic momentum...

Last edited:
History is not luck. It is people choices and fate. Those two thing. People choices are people choices, and fate is controlled by god. Or other force if you don't believe in god. By fate, i mean things like :
Volcanoes
Deluges
Storms
Tornados
Animals being in direct places
Other things that are dependant on STAGE but not actors(avalanches, stones falling from towers etc.)

Fate doesn't fit well with quantum physics though. Unless you thik there is an underlying law noones thought about. If you can't even tell which particle will be in what state at a given time, how can you controll all the rest it influences. Fate is unlikely to exist and laws of physics contain ellements of randomness and unknowns, aka the luck factor can still be there.

On a more directly related note, is there a start date were these states are free or does it only work with the safe? Love these ideas, but ill never have enough time for it.

On a more directly related note, is there a start date were these states are free or does it only work with the safe? Love these ideas, but ill never have enough time for it.

No. York and Lancaster are only accessible from within the save game.

The primary objectives are of course the quickest. The secondary take more time, but are played at a much faster speed:

Primary objectives will be mostly played at speeds 2-4.
Secondary objectives mostly at speed 5.
bonus objectives, speed 2-3.

In terms of time consumption, it should be about 20% longer than the Netherlands Game of the Month.

And to compensate, there is a whole 30 days for play.

Just to re-iterate to anyone who is unclear, this is only a save game, not a mod.

If everyone who has downloaded it, or intends to play it, could hang a post on this thread, I'd be much obliged.

Last edited:
Cant post a screenie as on my phone, 10 years in as york, own all of the UK and Ireland, have 30 infamy for being a warmonger, protestant across the nation

Civilizations rise and fall and maybe it was just blind luck that history ended up the way that it did. The West and the Rest and all that...

Maybe it was just blind luck...

A new Dark Age

Fastest completion wins.

So the bonus points are only awarded to the fastest person or is that the tie breaker like money was last time?

Also, for the primary and secondary objectives, you list province names (Barbadoes, Dadra). Do we have to own these?

Cant post a screenie as on my phone, 10 years in as york, own all of the UK and Ireland, have 30 infamy for being a warmonger, protestant across the nation

Very impressive. I'm at work atm so I can't load the save but it looks like York owns 2 provinces to englands ~10. I'm not sure thats worth the extra point (although you seemed to have no problems. Got any tips?)

Some things to consider (the method is up to you)

If starting as York - Lancashire, Wales, Scotland and England need to keep a close eye
Religion - pay attention to your religion and be careful about timing the switch
Be wary of alliances (Irish minors, Scotland, England)

Good luck

Last edited:
So the bonus points are only awarded to the fastest person or is that the tie breaker like money was last time?

Also, for the primary and secondary objectives, you list province names (Barbadoes, Dadra). Do we have to own these?

Bonus points to fastest person, tiered by goal completion, similar to lat time.

Yes.

York owns 2 provinces to englands ~10. I'm not sure thats worth the extra point (although you seemed to have no problems. Got any tips?)

It's a little like playing Byzant.

Be opportunistic.

To clarify: Calais is a most rightful part of England. If you reform England, you must be in posession of Calais, or get it asap. It's the staple port you see...

Historical factoid: at about this time around 1/4 of England's defence monies went on Calais, and the Englishwere gutted when they lost it...

Last edited:
I have it, and trust me, the infamy is hurting, I am fighting rebels all over and trying to make sure I dont have DoW from France or anyone else that feels opportunistic!

Bonus points to fastest person, tiered by goal completion, similar to lat time.

Yes.

It's a little like playing Byzant.

Be opportunistic.

To clarify: Calais is a most rightful part of England. If you reform England, you must be in posession of Calais, or get it asap. It's the staple port you see...

Historical factoid: at about this time around 1/4 of England's defence monies went on Calais, and the Englishwere gutted when they lost it...

If Both a York player and an England player complete the objectives in the same year, then obviously the York player should win.

But how big a golfing handicap do you think the York player should get?

I apologize i wasn't clear on my question. I was referring to the bonus objective not the 1st, 2nd 3rd place ranking bonus points. Are the 2 points from completing the bonus objectives only awarded to the fastest person who completes the scenario?

I apologize i wasn't clear on my question. I was referring to the bonus objective not the 1st, 2nd 3rd place ranking bonus points. Are the 2 points from completing the bonus objectives only awarded to the fastest person who completes the scenario?

The layout is maybe a bit confusing.

The bonus objectives are the same as the Netherlands game. Everyone who completes them gets the points.

So it is:

Primary
Secondary
Bonus
+1 for doing it as York

Then podium place points awarded to the best performers overall.

You're probably right, maybe York players deserve more than a +1.

I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:
York should get a +3 bonus, as it is much more difficult to do!