Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 31 - A Point of Honor

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Let's hope it's still possible to join the HRE in EUIV. I remember a dev said in a post a long time ago that (I think it was Johan?) that he wanted more restrictions on that part.

They did add the restrictions in the last few versions of Eu3. You cant move your capital in and out of the Empire, and you cant add provinces if the Emperor sees you as a threat.

HOWEVER you can still get voted in as Emperor without being in the Empire. This is challenging, as there are opinion modifiers against external powers in the Electoral vote. In EU3, the easy workaround was to vassalize the Electors. That's obviously vastly harder to do in EU4 with vassal upkeep and the fact other electors will hate your guts for having one of them under your boot. But I reckon it will still be doable for a determined player. Of course, once you pass Renovatio Imperii, you get the HRE tag and can turn the page for good on electoral issues.

How is England #1 at diplomacy in 1444?

Surely Venice has a larger navy, equal or greater tech and more merchant power? Not sure about allies or vassals, but in EU3 England wouldn't have had any vassals at that date.

I'll take a stab at it. Big Ship Navy vs Galley navy. I bet the former counts for alot of points, and England starts with alot of them (40-50 IIRC?) whereas the Venetians are stuck with a Galley-based navy that may contribute little, and perhaps not at all, to the score calculations.

Please people dont be silly, it is known that Sakhalin is Russian... It all belongs to the Motherland.

I'm not even sure against what he's protesting.

Okay, first off Sakhalin belongs to the Khmer Dominion ,and not Russia or the pathetic Japanese Shogunate .and second will outside nations be able to engage in diplomacy or at least declare war on the Daimyos ?

Okay, first off Sakhalin belongs to the Khmer Dominion ,and not Russia or the pathetic Japanese Shogunate .and second will outside nations be able to engage in diplomacy or at least declare war on the Daimyos ?
KhMER dominion? Filthy Thalmor scum! Besides, Sakhalin has been an important canton of Switzerland ever since their secret expedition in 1376.

I'll take a stab at it. Big Ship Navy vs Galley navy. I bet the former counts for alot of points, and England starts with alot of them (40-50 IIRC?) whereas the Venetians are stuck with a Galley-based navy that may contribute little, and perhaps not at all, to the score calculations.
Hopefully, the English starting navy won't be as absurd as it was in EU3. It makes little sense for England to be the superior navy in Europe in 1444.

Hopefully, the English starting navy won't be as absurd as it was in EU3. It makes little sense for England to be the superior navy in Europe in 1444.

I bet it will be fairly similar. This game being built on top of 5.2, everything we're not told changed, I assume will be very much like it used to be. I'm sure I'll have a few surprises here and there, but England being a Big Ship powerhouse on day-one is not something I expect changed at all.

Hey, now that were talking about it... WE SAW England on day one. Lemme peruse the live feed again, will update.

EDIT: England starts with 47 ships as of the latest live feed; at the same start date in EU3, its 43. I'm guessing it might be something like 40 bigships and 7 transports.

Last edited:

No historic sense. It makes perfect sense if you are thinking about gameplay. The fleet is that massive to stop France easily crossing the channel and crushing the English with it's far superior manpower.

As long as England isn't any MORE powerful at the start than it was in EU3, then I'm fine. The only time I ran into trouble was as France, after I had kicked their armies' asses, I could not get any sort of peace because of that damned navy blocking the channel.

Yes, this "I can block you so I can decide to stall the war outcome" has to be put to end.

Glad that there is some sort of a scoring system. While i think its a bit odd to have this for such a completely open ended game like the EU series, too often I really felt like I was just treading water. Hopefully this also gives a better idea of how well you perform game to game

I am really happy about having a scoring system in EU4. Since I started playing Victoria 2 I have loved seeing my nation slowly climb into Secondary Power status and eventually into the top 8 Great Powers. This system isn't as robust as that it seems but very good for me none the less!

I'm glad to see a scoring system...ideally imo it should be a way to "win" with a lesser power without an unrealistic ascent into "Great Power" status under game mechanics that represent that reality.

Yes, this "I can block you so I can decide to stall the war outcome" has to be put to end.
From the sticky:
"You declare war with a casus belli (like EU) and a war goal (like Victoria) and if you fulfill your wargoal your warscore ticks up (like CK II) up to another 20%"

Ticking WS for defeating England's objective or achieving your own, plus battle WS for eating England's expeditionary forces, should take you past the stabhit threshold (I'm assuming it's still in).

Japan gets the honors of being the first east Asian nation featured in the Development Diaries :)
japanese-etiquette.jpg

Ottomans start in asia, derp, asia minor.

dissapointed that the new system is about points scoring! meh, seriously was hoping for an interesting new mechanic about warfare or colonisation.... points scoring :(